2023/06/04 11:31:08
Nereus
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
no mo defraging!!!

but it's also great finding a sale on two 10+ TB mechanical HDDs for long term backup. i have two 10 TB Seagates (ST10000DM0004) in my external DAS (Sabrent DS-SC5B). And use "Allway Sync" to simultaneously backup Directory(s) to both drives.

(See below how one folder on "M:" is copied to both "O:" and "P:" locations?)

Interesting, thanks, I will check that out - sort of a manual alternative to RAID 1 (although in Windows 11 it's 'Storage Spaces' now).

True, high capacity mechanical drives are good for large volumes of backup media, or DAS systems, and reds for surveillance camera drives.

2023/06/04 13:02:15
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Nereus
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
no mo defraging!!!

but it's also great finding a sale on two 10+ TB mechanical HDDs for long term backup. i have two 10 TB Seagates (ST10000DM0004) in my external DAS (Sabrent DS-SC5B). And use "Allway Sync" to simultaneously backup Directory(s) to both drives.

(See below how one folder on "M:" is copied to both "O:" and "P:" locations?)

Interesting, thanks, I will check that out - sort of a manual alternative to RAID 1 (although in Windows 11 it's 'Storage Spaces' now).

True, high capacity mechanical drives are good for large volumes of backup media, or DAS systems, and reds for surveillance camera drives.

np!

and ur "sort of a manual alternative to RAID 1" is a perfect description.

i wonder if M$ has improved in file sync.

10 years ago i had to test over 20 programs before wandering across "Allway Sync". it works perfectly.

all others at the time failed 10% to 50% of the time -- including wat M$ included with Win7.

"Allway Sync" is free -- for non commercial use -- and can be licensed for any platform. so i think it is ported from Linux. Pause and resume is a really nice feature because sometimes a sync is longer than u realized u had time for. so u can pause anytime and just resume whenever u want. (And it works np on LAN.)
2023/06/04 19:18:54
kaninja
I remember my 1st SSD was around $12/GB. People laughed at me and said SSD's will never be cost effective. How times have changed.
2023/06/05 09:31:20
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
kaninja
I remember my 1st SSD was around $12/GB. People laughed at me and said SSD's will never be cost effective. How times have changed.

i held off as long as anyone before ditching Mechanical; and going all internal drives, being SSD. 

my 1st SSD was just March 2018. a Micron 1100 2TB (MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR1ZABYY), for $378.99.

now i'm holding off on my 1st M.2. i want to first invest in one or more 8TB SSDs and replace some 2TB ones with 4TB ones. (i currently have 7 internal SSDs of various sizes.) 

and especially because i'm installing a 4090 soon (MSI Suprim Liquid X); and i don't like the idea of removing video cards to access M.2 slots on MOBO if ever need be.
2023/06/05 14:34:05
Chrome-M-Dragon
kaninja

Honestly I think it gets said about anything new in the PC world.
2023/06/11 04:54:56
Cordorb
Does Ti bubble memory count as SS memory  :-)

2023/07/09 04:26:32
Flybye
I extended the life of an i7-3770k system a couple of years by going SSD. No nvme slots, but I went to an SSD Sata3 main drive, and my games went on to an nvme SSD on to an nvme to PCIE adapter. It made such an amazing difference. I still have a big mechanical drive, though. 80s drives were no joke. Turn on the PC, and you can hear them activating like some mechanical device preparing to attack something. I used to have a Seagate Cheetah 10k RPM, and that sounded like a plane was taking off!
2023/07/09 07:57:47
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

IBM_350_RAMAC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_350_RAMAC.jpg)

i put ^^ into my 2007 for Crysis PC thae was converted to an HTPC in 2012.
2023/07/09 08:23:57
Hoggle
kaninja

I still have my first 64GB SSD. An Intel one that was $12.50 per gigabyte. I remember being blown away by it only taking 17 seconds from a cold boot to get to the windows sign in screen.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account