2021/06/24 20:14:21
EVGA_Lee
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM
gsrcrxsi
@EVGATech_LeeM can you please post the BIOS links for the Hydro Copper cards just as you have for the air and hybrid cards? specifically looking for the ones for 3080ti XC3 Hydro Copper

I don't have them currently (for the 3080 Ti), but I've requested them.  For the 30 Series, I only encourage people to use the HC BIOS if you actually have the HC card version.  This is mainly due to different components used on these cards for the sole purpose to improve the way the blocks sit on the card (hence, this is reflected in the BIOS), and may not necessarily work on other card designs.  Otherwise, there's no other reason to flash an HC BIOS to a non-HC card; unlike the situation with HYBRID BIOS, which utilizes a different fan scheme. 

So if someone bought a 3080 Ti Hydro Copper card and wanted to put the Hybrid kit on it, it wouldn't work?

https://forums.evga.com/YES-You-can-replace-the-30803090-Hydro-copper-with-a-HybridAIO-kit-m3406152.aspx

*Sigh*

Not recommended, but going from HC to HY won't cause physical damage if you are careful.  Likewise, flashing the BIOS from HC to HY should be OK, but again, not recommended.

We aren't selling the HC blocks this time around, but if you are going from an HY card (or any non-HC card, for that matter) to an HC card (maybe you grabbed someone's block off Ebay), there will be physical damage.  No need to speculate about the BIOS.

I suppose I should point out that since we aren't selling the HC blocks this time, we don't have an installation manual for how to put the waterblock back on.
2021/06/25 04:13:42
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM
kram36
EVGATech_LeeM
gsrcrxsi
@EVGATech_LeeM can you please post the BIOS links for the Hydro Copper cards just as you have for the air and hybrid cards? specifically looking for the ones for 3080ti XC3 Hydro Copper

I don't have them currently (for the 3080 Ti), but I've requested them.  For the 30 Series, I only encourage people to use the HC BIOS if you actually have the HC card version.  This is mainly due to different components used on these cards for the sole purpose to improve the way the blocks sit on the card (hence, this is reflected in the BIOS), and may not necessarily work on other card designs.  Otherwise, there's no other reason to flash an HC BIOS to a non-HC card; unlike the situation with HYBRID BIOS, which utilizes a different fan scheme. 

So if someone bought a 3080 Ti Hydro Copper card and wanted to put the Hybrid kit on it, it wouldn't work?

https://forums.evga.com/YES-You-can-replace-the-30803090-Hydro-copper-with-a-HybridAIO-kit-m3406152.aspx

*Sigh*

Not recommended, but going from HC to HY won't cause physical damage if you are careful.  Likewise, flashing the BIOS from HC to HY should be OK, but again, not recommended.

We aren't selling the HC blocks this time around, but if you are going from an HY card (or any non-HC card, for that matter) to an HC card (maybe you grabbed someone's block off Ebay), there will be physical damage.  No need to speculate about the BIOS.

I suppose I should point out that since we aren't selling the HC blocks this time, we don't have an installation manual for how to put the waterblock back on.

Great information to have. Thanks for the reply.
2021/06/25 08:27:41
vcast
Changing my post* 

I updated the BIOS for the Hybrid 3080 FTW3.  My X1 now says I have an 3080 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID.  I am also having issues with my fans revving up on their own, regardless of the curve I have set.  When I launch a game like WoW, my radiator fans kick on to their highest RPM... 

2021/06/25 10:51:41
MackWage
Thank you so much @EVGATech_LeeM for aggregating this information and posting! 
2021/06/25 11:02:34
Mr_Teal
EVGATech_LeeM

*Sigh*

Hi Lee, could you expand on this a little more? Do the HC cards use a different PCB than the standard FTW3/XC3 versions, or is it just a matter of not having correct thermal pads or mounting hardware included if you grab a block off eBay?
2021/06/25 11:22:54
EVGA_Lee
vcast
Do you leave Fast Boot off after you have flashed? Or do you turn it back on after you have updated BIOS? And is there more benefit to using ReBAR? I updated the default 3080 FTW3 Hybrid. Can I enable ReBAR now on the X1 page?

It's up to you whether to use Fast Boot or not.  The main reason you want to turn it off is when you are making changes to your system or card that needs to be updated in Windows.  Windows will update software information when there's a major change (like going from a 3080 to 3090), but Fast Boot will ignore minor changes (like an MCU or BIOS update). Here's a short primer when to have it on or off:

When to have Fast Boot OFF:
  • When running Precision X1 for the first time after installing a new card or after flashing the BIOS
  • Before you change from one 3080 to a different 3080
    • Changing a 3080 XC3 to a 3080 FTW3, for example
  • Changing cards after an RMA if it's the same GPU.  Why?
    • Because you sent us an XC3 card and we replaced it with an XC3 ULTRA card
    • Because the MCU version might be different than your previous card
    • Because you had a different switch enabled on the card you sent back to us for RMA
    • Because you had a different BIOS version flashed to the card you sent back to us for RMA (e.g. FTW3 HYBRID on a non-HYBRID FTW3 card)
  • When flashing a new BIOS
  • When flashing a BIOS from one type of card to another (e.g. FTW3 to FTW3 HYBRID)
  • When switching an FTW3 card or KPE card from one BIOS chip to a different chip (e.g. Normal -> OC)

When it's OK to have Fast Boot ON:
  • Depending on who you ask, never....But I digress....
  • After rebooting (just to be safe) a second time after changing from one GPU to a different GPU - e.g. 3080 to 3090
  • After rebooting (just to be safe) a second time after flashing your BIOS
  • After rebooting (just to be safe) a second time after changing the BIOS switch on your FTW3 or KPE card
  • But mostly, once you're sure that you've done trying out different BIOS versions and you've updated each BIOS chip on your card for a while

Basically, you can probably see a theme here.  If there's a chance that Windows might ignore a software update to your BIOS or MCU, then it's best to have Fast Boot off.  Otherwise, you can leave it on.

Regarding Resizable BAR, I'll leave the debate to others about the benefits of it right now.  However, once you've updated your BIOS to the FTW3, you should be able to use the Resizable BAR update download in PX1.  Please observe the PSA's that we have about making sure to disable CSM first, however.
2021/06/25 11:22:59
gsrcrxsi
Mr_Teal
EVGATech_LeeM

*Sigh*

Hi Lee, could you expand on this a little more? Do the HC cards use a different PCB than the standard FTW3/XC3 versions, or is it just a matter of not having correct thermal pads or mounting hardware included if you grab a block off eBay?

it sounds like the PCB is the same, but some components were swapped out for smaller ones. maybe like a different kind of capacitor or other component in certain locations to be physically smaller to fit under the waterblock better. that's my interpretation.
2021/06/25 11:26:11
EVGA_Lee
gsrcrxsi
Mr_Teal
EVGATech_LeeM

*Sigh*

it sounds like the PCB is the same, but some components were swapped out for smaller ones. maybe like a different kind of capacitor or other component in certain locations to be physically smaller to fit under the waterblock better. that's my interpretation.

Yes, exactly.  There's a row of capacitors that are swapped out for shorter ones to improve the way the block sits on the card.  This has no effect on performance.
2021/06/25 11:27:40
vcast
@
EVGATech_LeeM

Thank you for the info.  I ran the BIOS for the 3080 FTW3 HYBRID, and I am now seeing that I have an ULTRA Hybrid in X1.  Is this common for the FTW3 to show as an ULTRA after running the bios update? 
I have been troubleshooting an issue where my aio radiator fans with the hybrid rev up on their own when I am in a game.  Regardless of fan control settings in X1, or if I close it and try to use Afterburner, my fans will rev to 100%.

2021/06/25 11:54:01
EVGA_Lee
vcast
@
EVGATech_LeeM

Thank you for the info.  I ran the BIOS for the 3080 FTW3 HYBRID, and I am now seeing that I have an ULTRA Hybrid in X1.  Is this common for the FTW3 to show as an ULTRA after running the bios update? 
I have been troubleshooting an issue where my aio radiator fans with the hybrid rev up on their own when I am in a game.  Regardless of fan control settings in X1, or if I close it and try to use Afterburner, my fans will rev to 100%.

Technically, all the HYBRID cards in the 30 Series are considered "ULTRA", since they all are factory overclocked out of the box.  Leaving aside that you can probably find some confusion on our marketing/naming on the products which don't necessarily say "ULTRA", there is only one version of each HYBRID card.

Regarding the fan issues, I'll send you a PM.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account