2020/10/20 05:19:16
Lokator
Tuf has a Dual Bios, so you could try a 450W bios there.

Of course FTW3 and Strix both have more VRMs
also a plus are the ICX sensors on the FTW3 and the step up program (have fun waiting 6 months)

I would not care about the boost frequency, you can just adjust it yourself with Overclocking, the ftw3 is for overclocking anyway. 
2020/10/20 05:24:19
bcavanagh
Lokator

also a plus are the ICX sensors on the FTW3 and the step up program (have fun waiting 6 months)

I would not care about the boost frequency, you can just adjust it yourself with Overclocking, the ftw3 is for overclocking anyway. 

What does that even mean? "The FTW3 is for overclocking anyway" What are you using to justify this statement? This review clearly shows a lower end model from ASUS overclocks and runs better than this FTW3. Same with the Eagle. That statement is completely untrue at this point. 
2020/10/20 05:26:07
Lokator
bcavanagh
Lokator

What does that even mean? "The FTW3 is for overclocking anyway" What are you using to justify this statement? This review clearly shows a lower end model from ASUS overclocks and runs better than this FTW3. Same with the Eagle. That statement is completely untrue at this point. 

no, these are stock clock speeds and the ftw3 will go well above....
with way more VRMs and a 450w power limit + louder fans you can get a really high oc.... stock speeds are useless imo

if you want a quiet card at stock with great out of the box performance, the Tuf is a champ, for overclocking and noise is not an issue, the ftw3 and strix are defo top notch

the ftw3 noise performance is just bad imo, for overclocking I would defo go Strix, assuming it wont have worse noise and power normalized performance than Tuf.

But yes, there is no reason to not buy a tuf at msrp.
2020/10/20 05:27:40
wolvesreign88
Well FTW3 pre order cancelled and Asus ordered instead. Rather pay a little more for my quiet SFF build then deal with the EVGA.
2020/10/20 05:30:41
ajropey
ICX sensors are kinda nifty, but not really relevant for the 90% of the users buying them.
Better VRMS and power limits dont really matter a whole lot when at best you are getting a few more fps in 1440p or 4k, at the expense of much higher thermal output.
2020/10/20 05:32:06
Lokator
ajropey
ICX sensors are kinda nifty, but not really relevant for the 90% of the users buying them.
Better VRMS and power limits dont really matter a whole lot when at best you are getting a few more fps in 1440p or 4k, at the expense of much higher thermal output.

these are enthusiast cards.
Enthusiasts want the card with the best components.
Since the noise is not that great, tons of enthusiasts will prefer the Strix above the FTW3.
2020/10/20 05:40:24
ajropey
Lokator
ajropey

these are enthusiast cards.
Enthusiasts want the card with the best components.
Since the noise is not that great, tons of enthusiasts will prefer the Strix above the FTW3.

Lol, literally all RTX 3080s are enthusiast cards, but I get your point.

Its just that AIBs should be focusing more on the cooling/quality of life aspects of the card rather than beefed up PCB designs since overclocking is essentially dead.
2020/10/20 05:45:54
I_R0M_I
I'm mostly happy with my FTW Ultra (only negatives are my cpu bottlenecking it, so not gpus fault!)
It sits 60-65 mostly in games on the 450w bios.
Will sit around 2070-2115 most of the time, with a max of 2145.

Ive never seen Evga as a budget brand myself. Thought they were one of the top brands?
2020/10/20 05:47:43
Lokius81
I_R0M_I
I'm mostly happy with my FTW Ultra (only negatives are my cpu bottlenecking it, so not gpus fault!)
It sits 60-65 mostly in games on the 450w bios.
Will sit around 2070-2115 most of the time, with a max of 2145.

Ive never seen Evga as a budget brand myself. Thought they were one of the top brands?

Seems the results on cooling are all over the place with the FTW which makes me wonder if there is a Quality Control issue going on.
Glad to hear you have a good card though, what are the noise levels for you?
Also no EVGA is not a budget brand.
2020/10/20 05:48:40
Lokator
yes, I am the guy slapping a Accelero Xtreme IV with two Noctua NFA12x25 fans on my 2080 Ti XC Black to have a quiet PC, so yes, all I want is a fantastic whisper quiet great GPU.

Might even try to get a 940-950€ MSRP Gigabyte 3080 Aorus Xtreme, the cooling performance should be massive.
It just has a pretty modest power limit compared to the large heatsink.
Together with having 6 Poscaps, I assume at a higher power limit, more MLCCs would indeed have been better, maybe 30 Mhz more with that or so, who knows, this MLCC Poscap thing still makes me nervous, apart from that dang that card

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account