2020/09/28 22:07:57
kougar
EVGA has stated there will be both XC3 and FTW3 versions of its hydrocopper models. My understanding is the PCB and hardware differ between them. Hopefully some site will post bare PCB shots of each card at some point. 
2020/09/29 11:48:04
Cool GTX
CaliLife17
Hello all,

I plan on Watercooling my 3090's once I purchase them, but had a couple of questions. 

First is I would normally just buy reference cards and then get like heatkiller blocks for them and be done. This year I am going to get an EVGA Custom card. Is the FTW3 Ultra and Hydrocopper cards based off the same board design? Or are they also different custom boards from each other. I know on Twitter Jacob has said HydroCopper is prob Oct/Nov (gotta wait for Ryzen 5000 anyways, so no worries there), and no solid plans yet on if they would make a separate kit for HydoCopper for cards later. 

Looking at the 2080ti, it looked like EVGA eventually came out with a block for the FTW3 models, but not until March 2019, which is 6 months after that card was released. So it seems if I wanted to go FTW3 model, if Hydrocopper is based off that board, is to just get the HydroCopper model from EVGA?

My second question is, how was the cooling performance of the HydroCopper 2080ti models vs like the Heatkillers or Alphacool's blocks? Were they pretty on par, or were they worse than some of those blocks? 

Last question is, and we might not know this yet, does the Hydrocopper have any type of active cooling on the back for the memory module on the 3090? I have only been able to find front shots of the card, so not sure what the backplate will look like.

Oh also in the past, do the HydroCopper's only come with plexi fronts? They don't offer a solid Actel front option right?

(you asked) Is the FTW3 Ultra and Hydrocopper cards based off the same board design? 

Hydrocopper - is the Cooler designation for water cooled cards

FTW3 Cards - have wider PCB & more robust circuit design than the "reference design cards"

I've not seen an Actel block from EVGA
2020/09/29 11:58:31
Cool GTX
ehabash1
The problem is Evga undercuts third parties with their own blocks, giving third parties little incentive to make a block for an even further reduced market of cards. 
So basically your stuck with no options when you buy their cards.

Good for Evga and their profits.... but terrible for the consumer. This is one of the major drawbacks to EVGA. Your are generally stuck waiting for them to release a hydrocopper block, and their prices are inflated compared to the market.
Whereas all the STRIX owners will be enjoying watercooling roughly 2 weeks from now.. we will be hopeful just to have an official announcement in November

Not sure what you basing your reply on ?

I had no issues buying EK blocks for my EVGA cards: 1080 Ti FTW3 & 2080 Ti

Though it is true their is no guarantee that Any vendor will make a water block for any one specific graphics card.  So, some models wont get custom water blocks, it is totally up to the company that makes the block, if they want to have an addition version if the PCB layout changes from "reference design"

To avoid any issues, best to by a card After you get assurances that your chosen Mfg will be making a water block
2020/09/29 21:57:13
UnusualAttitude
I’m either going to get a hydrocopper 3090 from evga or a ftw3 card and a block from ek, whichever is available first. I’m betting on hydrocopper But I could be wrong 
2020/09/30 01:24:17
AnonymousGuy
UnusualAttitude
I’m either going to get a hydrocopper 3090 from evga or a ftw3 card and a block from ek, whichever is available first. I’m betting on hydrocopper But I could be wrong 

I could be wrong by my impression of HC is it's always super limited quantity, a long time after everything else release, and not great value anyways.  You also get double-ended losing resale value years later because waterblocked cards are typically only desirable to "enthusiasts" who also move on to newer generations like you do.

Also Asus seems to be the top dog getting 3080/90 waterblocks first...EVGA will be a couple months from now probably.  
2020/09/30 03:10:22
axtoxic
Maybe Hydro Copper Version is better
2020/09/30 10:17:50
AnonymousGuy
axtoxic

HC waterblock is made by another OEM that will also make blocks for other cards.  Only difference is the HC branding.  Almost always it's EK or Bitspower (not sure who EVGA uses nowadays)
2020/09/30 10:26:33
axtoxic
AnonymousGuy
axtoxic

HC waterblock is made by another OEM that will also make blocks for other cards.  Only difference is the HC branding.  Almost always it's EK or Bitspower (not sure who EVGA uses nowadays)

I see...Thanks~~
2020/09/30 10:27:01
CraptacularOne
At this point I wouldn't even bother with 2 cards for SLI since it's effectively dead. Also SLI on 30 series cards will not work on anything DX11 and back and will only be supported in the future if the game supports mGPU natively. 
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5082

If you can't read between the lines, I'll make it clear for you that this is basically the end of SLI. If you purchase 2 cards at this point you are basically lighting $1500+ on fire just for the hell of it. 
2020/09/30 10:43:58
gabolton
CraptacularOne
If you can't read between the lines, I'll make it clear for you that this is basically the end of SLI. If you purchase 2 cards at this point you are basically lighting $1500+ on fire just for the hell of it. 

For anyone that just wants to see flames give me a shout. I'll sell a Bic disposable for $1500 OR trade one for a 3090.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account