2020/09/28 09:56:14
CaliLife17
Hello all,

I plan on Watercooling my 3090's once I purchase them, but had a couple of questions. 

First is I would normally just buy reference cards and then get like heatkiller blocks for them and be done. This year I am going to get an EVGA Custom card. Is the FTW3 Ultra and Hydrocopper cards based off the same board design? Or are they also different custom boards from each other. I know on Twitter Jacob has said HydroCopper is prob Oct/Nov (gotta wait for Ryzen 5000 anyways, so no worries there), and no solid plans yet on if they would make a separate kit for HydoCopper for cards later. 

Looking at the 2080ti, it looked like EVGA eventually came out with a block for the FTW3 models, but not until March 2019, which is 6 months after that card was released. So it seems if I wanted to go FTW3 model, if Hydrocopper is based off that board, is to just get the HydroCopper model from EVGA?

My second question is, how was the cooling performance of the HydroCopper 2080ti models vs like the Heatkillers or Alphacool's blocks? Were they pretty on par, or were they worse than some of those blocks? 

Last question is, and we might not know this yet, does the Hydrocopper have any type of active cooling on the back for the memory module on the 3090? I have only been able to find front shots of the card, so not sure what the backplate will look like.

Oh also in the past, do the HydroCopper's only come with plexi fronts? They don't offer a solid Actel front option right?
2020/09/28 10:08:50
robotsir
All Evga 30 series cards are custom PCB, so far EKWB said they will make blocks for them
2020/09/28 10:35:00
ehabash1
The problem is Evga undercuts third parties with their own blocks, giving third parties little incentive to make a block for an even further reduced market of cards. 
So basically your stuck with no options when you buy their cards.

Good for Evga and their profits.... but terrible for the consumer. This is one of the major drawbacks to EVGA. Your are generally stuck waiting for them to release a hydrocopper block, and their prices are inflated compared to the market.
Whereas all the STRIX owners will be enjoying watercooling roughly 2 weeks from now.. we will be hopeful just to have an official announcement in November
2020/09/28 10:36:23
UnusualAttitude
I'm going to hold out for that 3090 HC card too, whenever it releases. Hopefully there will be enough inventory to actually stand a chance to score one.
2020/09/28 10:40:36
AHowes
Evga cut ties with EK years ago. They went with some other unknown company to make their blocks now.

Assuming the time frame for the hydro copper would be the same.. maybe even faster this year as ek and other block makers were waiting as long as us for a card to get the dimensions for it as I've heard
2020/09/28 12:00:06
gutcheck
EK said weeks for the XC3 blocks.  So probably mid Oct.
2020/09/28 18:46:04
eldub0844
UnusualAttitude
I'm going to hold out for that 3090 HC card too, whenever it releases. Hopefully there will be enough inventory to actually stand a chance to score one.

They're probably going to be closer to $2k, we might have a chance!

2020/09/28 18:52:20
hallowen
Might have to resort to adapting GPU Only water blocks in the meantime, But don't quote me on that.
2020/09/28 19:05:46
thefinalhope
I sure hope some more high quality watercooling companies make blocks for the FTW3 PCB - just not a fan of EK. Too overpriced for the quality you good imo. Here's hoping Watercool or Aquacomputer makes a block!
2020/09/28 20:54:24
rjbarker
gutcheck

gutcheck

Where did you hear this? I have been querying a number of EK user haunts re: Blcoks for Evga Cards and getting nothing but "crickets".....kind of curious how long the wait for FTW3 ....although no panick really as likely wont get the Card for a few months.!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account