2020/06/09 13:53:38
staticvars
Hey, I just bought a new EVGA 1200W power supply and can't get it working with the motherboard. I took the motherboard out of the case- nothing plugged into it. If I plug in just the motherboard cable (24 pin), the case fans run and the motherboard. If I plug in the CPU cable to the motherboard, nothing will start (hear a faint click in the PSU when I hit the start button). I tried with another motherboard (ASUS Z390 Maximus XI), same issue. 

I tried the 24 pin test device that came with the PSU. I can hear the PSU fan come on. If I plug in the CPU cable (not plugged into the motherboard, just plugged into the PSU with nothing on the other end) it doesn't run (hear a faint click in the PSU, no fan). 

Should the PSU fan still come on if a cable is plugged into the PSU's CPU slot but not connected when using the test device?
Is there something else I can test, something I might be doing wrong?
2020/06/09 14:04:06
Cool GTX
Welcome to the EVGA Forums

The 24-pin & CPU power -->  Must be connected to MB for the PSU & PC to start ... your MB have buttons on it --> start & reset ?

Only use the cables that came with your PSU

Confirm that the correct end is connected to the PSU & device

Confirm that the little latch is in the locked position

Could be a tight fit & cable is Not fully inserted somewhere ... or one of the pins got pushed back inside of the plastic end

Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

2020/06/09 14:09:21
Sajin
Sounds like the cpu cable is causing a short.
2020/06/09 17:45:00
staticvars
I replaced the CPU cable and it worked. Thanks for the sanity check all.
2020/06/09 17:54:17
Cool GTX
staticvars
I replaced the CPU cable and it worked. Thanks for the sanity check all.

Great

Have to wonder if someone put the wrong pin in the wrong slot
2020/06/09 18:06:08
Sajin

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account