• Hardware
  • Now my 2080 fans are going nuts (p.2)
2019/12/30 11:48:45
sparetimepc
I don't see this working properly unless the fan hub is plugged into a 4 pin plug on the motherboard and all fans plugged into the hub are 4 pin as well
2019/12/30 11:53:07
kevinc313
sparetimepc
I don't see this working properly unless the fan hub is plugged into a 4 pin plug on the motherboard and all fans plugged into the hub are 4 pin as well

The Hub takes a separate 12V power off a SATA connector, it takes either PWM or Voltage speed control off the MB, then it translates the input speed to output PWM or Voltage control depending on the port. 

In the manual linked above.
2019/12/30 12:03:52
kevinc313
yaggazI have the white fan plug from the hub going to SYS Case Fan 1. The case is a Phanteks P400a with 3 fans at the front that are only 3 pin connectors.

I'm 150% sure you're using the wrong plug on the hub.  Should be motherboard header SYS CASE FAN 1 --->  INPUT on the hub. 

Your main case fan (probably use the middle one) plugs into FAN 1, the other two into the 3-pin ports.

No mention if you used the SATA power cable.  Use it.

You did not read the manual.  Hopefully nothing is broken.
2019/12/30 13:23:56
GTXJackBauer
kevinc313

Per the manual, the MB fan header you want is plugged into INPUT on the right side of the controller.

FAN 1 is a universal 3/4 pin out for your primary fan, where it will read the RPM signal.  Seems excessively confusing.

Thank you for that correction because I read somewhere late last night that stated to put a cable there and to the MB for some reason.  Should have dug deeper as that INPUT design really makes it a bit confusing since it makes you think it's only for the included remote.

For example at the back of my Aquaero 6 XT controller, the RPM header is meant only to send a simulated signal from the controller to the MB.

2019/12/30 14:37:44
ty_ger07
Requesting moderator to move thread to General Hardware. This is a thread about controlling case fans connected to a fan hub connected to his motherboard.
2019/12/30 15:12:02
XrayMan

Moved to General Hardware.
2019/12/30 19:40:37
yaggaz
ty_ger07
Requesting moderator to move thread to General Hardware. This is a thread about controlling case fans connected to a fan hub connected to his motherboard.

...which is about cooling down an EVGA RTX 2080 Super I paid over 600 bucks for and an Evga BQ Power supply that cost 80 bucks.  Didn't clue in on that part eh?

Thanks for your all your "help."   Oh wait, no, that thanks was meant for GTXJack and Kevin

Please continue your crusade in another thread, maybe somebody there misspelt something you need to report?
2019/12/30 19:52:42
yaggaz
kevinc313

I'm 150% sure you're using the wrong plug on the hub.  Should be motherboard header SYS CASE FAN 1 --->  INPUT on the hub. 

Yes sir that is how I have it.  As I did in fact read the manual ;) the input plug is for either MB control, or the remote control device.  I chose motherboard control.   Thus it is input on the hub to the SYS CASE FAN 1

kevinc313 

Your main case fan (probably use the middle one) plugs into FAN 1, the other two into the 3-pin ports.

Yeah that's how I have it.  According to the manual it says to recommend (They should say "Critically necessary or PWM won't work) using FAN 1,  as that's the one that sends the PWM signal, thus, I assume, synchronizing all the other fans plugged into the hub to the same speed as FAN 1?

kevinc313 

No mention if you used the SATA power cable.  Use it.

Of course I used it.  

kevinc313 

You did not read the manual.  Hopefully nothing is broken.

I read it multiple times, over and over.   Nowhere in that little two page picture diagram with a few measily sentences does it explain what could prevent the fans from changing speeds via the motherboard.  No troubleshooting guide or anything of that type.

GTX jack said to get PWM to work the input to the mother board needs to be three pins, because the fan in FAN 1 is only a 3 pin.  The hub comes with only a 4 pin INPUT to MB cable. Is that correct or no?

I'm new to this enthusiast level cooling, it's not my intention to frustrate you, but still I appreciate the help you've given.
2019/12/30 19:58:31
yaggaz
kevinc313
yaggazUsing Hardware Monitor the fans are always at 1400rpm, no matter how freezing or boiling things get.  This is causing my evga RTX 2080 to start sounding like a jet engine again before I got the new case.  I feel like I'm back to step one ~rips out hair~

Did you install TWO POWER CABLES for your GPU like we strongly recommended in the other thread?

If there's ANY question that your card isn't running well and you haven't installed a second power cable, YOU NEED TO DO THAT.

Yes sir,  had a thread here about it:
https://forums.evga.com/P...a-750-BQ-m3018778.aspx
2019/12/30 20:01:07
yaggaz
sparetimepc
I don't see this working properly unless the fan hub is plugged into a 4 pin plug on the motherboard

Yeah the controller comes with a 4 pin cable from the Input to the MB. I did it exactly as the manual said.

sparetimepc

and all fans plugged into the hub are 4 pin as well

This.   My case only has 3 pin fans.  I'm betting it's required and the manual isn't saying this. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account