2016/08/14 07:58:22
fearpoint
It has been happening with GTX 9 series as well.....

http://forums.evga.com/Intermittently-Screens-Go-Black-System-Still-Active-m2528533.aspx

From my experience only certain DX11 games cause it, but I've had it occur with DX9 randomly as well. Trying to figure out what is causing it and haven't had the problem reoccur since I uninstalled the physx drivers.
2016/08/14 09:19:01
demo23019
edit
misread
2016/08/14 10:48:43
Brutal
fearpoint

From my experience only certain DX11 games cause it, but I've had it occur with DX9 randomly as well. Trying to figure out what is causing it and haven't had the problem reoccur since I uninstalled the physx drivers.

This sounds similar, but when mine occurs the only course of action is a power cycle.

FWIW the issue is much more common while playing Battleborn, than my other games like Witcher 3.  A game crash is one thing, but a hard lock that forces a power cycle to clear is not good.  The last one while in Debug Mode, triggered my RAID drives to into a very long verification and recovery check.  Thankfully nothing was wrong there when it completed.  

Also to address Sajin's suggestion to which i never replied, to try re-seating the card and swap power cables.  I Have done that and unfortunately it continues to happen.

I'm awaiting the RMA to ship at the moment.
2016/08/14 17:30:14
fakeyfakerson
fearpoint

Similar to this problem, except unlike that thread when this happens on the 1080 FTW there's no audio. It's a complete system freeze that forces a power cycle to resolve.
2016/08/15 02:36:35
japesism
Just had this happen with my 1080 FTW in World of Warcraft - happened twice straight after as soon as I launched anything that used 3D (WoW and Overwatch menus) - temps were fine at 40c.

Have the card running on a pretty new AX1200i (Don't ask) in a Z170 Sabretooth.

Reseated the card into the same slot and power plugs and its working again, but I'm keeping a close eye on it.
2016/08/15 05:08:57
dyceskynes
I had the same thing happen, however it has happened only once playing ARK.   I have played about 12 hours with it since then and no other issues.  I assumed it was a driver crash.
2016/08/15 18:08:52
phaetox
Received my 1080 FTW a week ago today and have had this happen 10 times so far. Tried all the fixes I could possibly find and finally called EVGA support who told me the card probably had an unstable clock. (Peaking at 2025 MHz and haven't increased the offset at all) I've played WoW, MGS5 and No Man's Sky the past week and only WoW was doing the black screen lockup + 100% fan ramp up. Heaven/Valley on repeat for 2 hours did nothing either. The solution the rep gave me was to enable V-Sync in WoW which so far has worked, I've left the game running all last night and today with no crashes.  If it continued to happen he recommended down clocking the card or just going for an RMA. 
2016/08/16 06:29:10
almostasoldier
Same issue here, Happened twice once at standard clocks, Once running at an overclock of 2088mhz . Two different games Just Cause 3 & Doom 2016.

2016/08/16 19:08:28
gelectrode
Happened to me twice today. The only change i made was putting the voltage slider in Precision x to 100% which increased my voltage from 1.050 to 1.094. Iam using a EVGA supernova G2 850 gold and updated to latest driver that came out today after the first time it happened and reseated the card with no change. Going back to stock profile to see if it happens again. Something else to note is that both time i got black screen 100% fan and had to reset/power cycle was during World of warcraft (game wasnt even pushing the card I had it fps capped at 144). My old card was gtx 780 and 1.2V was no issue for that card. If it happens again I'll likely RMA it (unless a fix comes out) since it has terrible coil whine as well.

2016/08/16 23:33:54
fakeyfakerson
Seems like it happening in World of Warcraft is pretty common here, but it's happening in other games as well.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account