2018/07/24 03:07:28
nidclxvi
PvtBlackdog
I have been rocking sli Titans for the last few years on a custom water loop and it seems to me that a few iterations of nvidia drivers back seems to be when I started having random black screen issues... I tend to think it has something to do with these latest drivers?

I have tried a clean install with 385.69 and also with the most up to date driver. But checking the event log, there is no driver stopped working logs, there is only the "unexpected shutdown" from me having to power button it. So it is the EVGA gtx 1080 ftw having a hardware fault, by my estimations.

edit: I see a lot of people posting about these queries, so I will clarify.

I used the evga gtx 1080 FTW in my HTPC, same issue, I tested my 12v rail, it is an antec true power 850W and the rail reads 12.146 consitently, My PC is clean of dust, I did a clean install of the whole PC too. No nvlddmkm.sys or the like in my event log.
2018/08/02 20:48:01
TConX
I wish I was using my first post for something better...

Decided I was due for a new machine, so I ordered a bunch of parts off NewEgg, including a 1080.  Everything finally arrived, and I put it together on Tuesday.  It was late when I finished, so I went to bed.

Booted it up for the first time Wednesday after work.  I was playing around with some screensavers in DisplayFusion while waiting for Watch Dogs 2 to download.  That was the first time it happened.  While the screens were gone, I could still hear the Youtube video I was watching over the sounds of the fans.  Restarted.

Watch Dogs 2 finished and I played through the opening mission, only for it to happen again right after Marcus gets sacked.

Called it a night after that.  Tried it again in the morning.  It happened three more times, the last of which was right after I entered my Windows password.  RMA plz.
2018/08/03 12:56:29
afropuff
I bought a 1080FTW in Jan 2018, brand new through the evga website and the card is having this issue. So people saying it's fixed -- well, the original problem may have been fixed but there must be a new problem or the same problem on less % of cards.

I have exact same symptoms as everyone else -- card black screens and fans go to 100%. Card never recovers and I gotta restart my PC. Seems to happen at random, even when not in a game and card/pc idling.
2018/08/03 14:19:48
AHowes
Well then, I'd say still not fixed!
2018/08/05 06:35:27
ojrask
I bought an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition a few months ago. I'm seeing the same issue with it right now: the card turns off (rest of PC keeps working) for no good reason when playing PC games or running 3DMark and the fans go full-blast for around 5 seconds. Always need to reboot to get my PC running again. Happens in Fortnite, CODWW2, Witcher 3, yadayada.
2018/08/06 08:57:26
AHowes
Send it in!! I had it happen to a new 1 day old ftw3 1080ti elite 12ghz card that I bought from microcenter locally.

Was fine the first hour but something went on the card as in hour 2 it wouldn't last 2-3 mins in any game before it did the same.

Exchanged it the next day.. new one fine from there on.. this was prob 6 months ago.
2018/09/25 14:04:36
mnbeto
PietroBR
tragedy1191
I've been reading that people are still experiencing problems with their second or third Card, even though they have went through almost every troubleshoot like updating the bios or changing out hardware parts. So it may be pointless to do an RMA return if i encounter the same issue

This specific issue has been resolved (100% fans spinning and black screen).
It might happen again? Of course. It's not 100% since it can come with hardware failure from factory.

What some people are experiencing, with the same issues (black screen + fans ramping up) was, and usually is, a stable PSU delivery problem on the GPU.
90% of the other causes I saw here, with these same issues, were PSU problems. Very few of them were the GPU itself.

I can confirm this. My card worked perfectly for two years, then this problem started on my 1080 FE. Changed the PCI-E cable from the PSU to a modular unused one on my Corsair TX850M, it solved completely.
2018/10/01 02:25:57
Jordanluke
I bought my card in August 2016 (FTW 1080). I went through 2 RMA's in the first couple of months since the purchase due to the black screen and fans at 100% issue, the 3rd card I received seemed to be ok. Then in July of this year the card blew, causing smoke and rendering the card unusable. Sigh, ok, another RMA a bit of a pain but what can you do. The card I received back from the RMA clearly wasn't new as it was a bit marked and looked used - whatever by this point it's 2 years old as long as it works ok I don't care. Then yesterday playing Destiny 2 I started getting the black screen issue! My screens lose input and go blank, the card fans spin up to 100% however the game still seems to be running in the background. 

Now my system configuration has completely changed since I was having this issue 2 years ago, I put in a new EVGA 750 GQ PSU, new motherboard and CPU. It simply cannot be anything other than a faulty card. By this point it will be my 5th card and I'm just at a total loss how this issue has not been sorted out at EVGA by now. They say it affected a small number of cards and they fixed it 2 years ago but they haven't. This is the first time I used EVGA as they have a good reputation, and yes through each RMA the customer service has been fine. But 5 cards is a total joke. Obviously there is a fundamental issue with the 1080 FTW cards as it's not just me - people are still having this problem 2 years later. 

I'm totally fed up with it now and considering cutting my losses and just purchasing another card with a different company. I have zero confidence in EVGA anymore as they seem incapable of controlling their RMA quality control process. 
2021/06/03 21:36:16
FighterGamer67
I wonder what causes blackscreen while in game play.  GPU at 100%.  I lowered the settings on the game, but still black screens.  have 1070.  It's a pain when in game play and the screen goes black ... the game does not stop but you can't do anything.  Any suggestions?  just update drivers but still doing the same thing.
2021/06/18 22:56:15
buyerlmao12
thx

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account