2016/12/16 17:26:25
deus402
was having the same problem, turned out one of the diodes in the memory circuit had exploded. remove the motherboard from the case and closely inspect diodes D13-D18 and i believe you will find the culprit. 

Attached Image(s)

2018/03/12 16:55:09
Coldblackice
deus402
was having the same problem, turned out one of the diodes in the memory circuit had exploded. remove the motherboard from the case and closely inspect diodes D13-D18 and i believe you will find the culprit. 

Awesome find! Were you able to repair this? Do you mind attaching a picture that's more zoomed-out so I can see where on the board it is? I'm having trouble finding these on mine (I can only find D12, and it doesn't look blown).

If it is a matter of blown diodes, does anyone know how to determine the details of these surface-mount diodes in order to find replacements? I realize it's surface-mount, so it wouldn't be the easiest to solder.
2018/03/12 17:06:07
deus402
Coldblackice
deus402

Awesome find! Were you able to repair this? Do you mind attaching a picture that's more zoomed-out so I can see where on the board it is? I'm having trouble finding these on mine (I can only find D12, and it doesn't look blown).

If it is a matter of blown diodes, does anyone know how to determine the details of these surface-mount diodes in order to find replacements? I realize it's surface-mount, so it wouldn't be the easiest to solder.

Upon further inspection of my old pic added with another year of circuit level repair experience, that's surely a smd mosfet that let the schmoo out. I just chunked the board and upgraded to a skylake at the time. I went through my old pics and i didn't really take an overview picture, but it's probably a good idea to just check the whole board over, then throw it away and buy a new computer.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account