2020/09/25 20:59:03
slayertx
Nostyke
from reddit :

So, as an Electronics Engineer and PCB Designer I feel I have to react here.xHowever, concluding from this that a POSCAP = bad and MLCC = good is waaay to harsh and a conclusion you cannot make. Both xx prone to cracking- prone to piezo effect-x

..... I happen to have a EE background and the piezo effect is my fav physics thingy.... so... 2 things.... if you strike it does it produce electricity and worse, when electricity is applied to it does it vibrate?  if so that's a horrible flaw considering they also say it's prone to cracking! 
2020/09/25 21:07:06
Mattler
Do we know if EVGA is gunna fix that? I was hoping for the FTW card. But if it has that I'm going to get the ASUS Strix because it has all 6.
2020/09/25 21:18:12
kevinc313
Mattler
Do we know if EVGA is gunna fix that? I was hoping for the FTW card. But if it has that I'm going to get the ASUS Strix because it has all 6.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.  The two in the center seem to be the important ones.  2080 Ti have two similar arrays with option for a big cap, some 2070's and 2080's actually use the big caps.
2020/09/25 21:49:00
Mattler
kevinc313
Mattler

I wouldn't sweat it too much.  The two in the center seem to be the important ones.  2080 Ti have two similar arrays with option for a big cap, some 2070's and 2080's actually use the big caps.

Well that's good.
2020/09/25 22:14:26
guitarwar241
This issue was fixed after their initial testing. Nothing to worry about now. 
2020/09/25 22:27:13
Mattler
guitarwar241
This issue was fixed after their initial testing. Nothing to worry about now. 

Good.
2020/09/26 00:57:22
guitarwar241
The FTW3 cards are setup like the FE cards as far as the GPU array goes. 
2020/09/26 08:05:34
jmehalik
Think its been addressed, believe its 2MLCC
2020/09/26 09:35:30
Thehalfdemon
HeavyHemi
javelina1
HeavyHemi
INGREDCOLD
HeavyHemi
This is a technically inept and absurd thread. For most applications POSCAPs are superior.
Wow...the internet 'experts'. Why is everyone claiming POSCAPs are cheaper and lower quality?

Do think any one was saying that. mlcc is better at filtering out electronic noise 

No, they are not. In fact they are cheaper and generally inferior. Holy cow...utterly bassackwards.  

What's your perspective to the issue?  would appreciate any thoughts and insight you have.  Anecdotal evidence thus far pointing towards POSCAPs vs MLCC?  I also work at a large Semiconductor outfit, but not as a EE but rather IT.  I'd ask some of my designer friends regarding this, but I'm having to WFH for a bit and no chance to stroll up via the water fountain chats...

My perspective on this is that it would not be the use of POSCAPs which are superior to cheap MLCCs being the issue. My perspective is, if there is an instability, is design not component choice in this specific example. Other than that,  without actual schematics I would just be guessing.

I'm just here to see if HeavyHemi eats crow... Jumps on forums, flashes credentials and talks down to folks having a discussion and turns out he was flat wrong. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account