help fix disk boot failure

Author
scarface_810
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 596
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2012/10/12 10:22:58 (permalink)
im haveing a issuse im runing two HD one SSD and 750GB western digital WD Black for back up and i ues it to install Game and software i can have more space for my ssd for bf3. i get this messeage verifying dmi pool date uodate success  Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. if i ctrl alt del to reboot then it fine for few days and some time weak till i get this messages. win i did install the OS i did have my WD black HD unplug idk if that a issuse.

post edited by scarface_810 - 2012/10/12 10:27:30

Intel Core i7-7820X (8 Core HT = 16 CPU) 4.00GHz///32 GB Quad Channel DDR4 3200MHz /// 256 SSD Win 10 64 Bit///512 Pro SSD Big Games///MX500 1TB SSD Steam Game///256 SSD Software/Programs///EVGA X299 FTW///EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Black///Dell Gaming S2417DG 1440p 144Hz G-Sync///Logitech 5.1 Sound///G510 Gaming Keyboard///Red Dragon Elite 16400DPI///Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit OS///Corsair 700D Full Tower///Comcast 1000GBps

6 Replies Related Threads

Randolla
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1764
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:help fix disk boot failure 2012/10/12 13:17:59 (permalink)
    I was having the same issue.  What I did was to remove any DVD/Blue Ray drives from the boot order and I seem to be OK now.  Give it a try and see what happens. 

Be sure to put your drive that has the operating system on it in the first place of your boot order.  You may want to have just have the one drive listed (the one with Windows on it) so there are no other options left to boot from.

Good luck.
    PS make sure all of your Motherboard drivers are up to date.  You may want to reinstall them.

PPS.  Looking at your rig you may want to add some more RAM.  It is cheap now and 12 gigs would do you fine with your setup.
    post edited by randolla - 2012/10/12 13:20:33

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard 
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC
    Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case 
    NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
    32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
    EVGA  Supernova P1200 PSU
    Acer Predator X34 Monitor
    Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[
    forrestang
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1661
    Re:help fix disk boot failure 2012/10/12 16:39:49 (permalink)
    Just a few moments ago, I realized I installed my SSD as a primary without switching to ACH1 in bios.  And everything has been working fine.

Well I just decided to switch it, and now I am getting the same error as the OP, as in it won't boot.  If I switch back to IDE, still the same error. 

In the boot devices, I disabled the DVD, and anything save for the hard disk, still it doesn't work.

In the boot order, I made sure the SSD is first, but it still wants to boot from the platter drive.  Every time I go back to the bios (after saving before exiting), the platter drive is still first in the order.  I dunno why?

The only way I can get back to windows, is to manually hit "ESC" during the post to manually select the SSD.

Any ideas?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core(3.4Mhz)
    EVGA GTX 1660 XC BLACK GAMING, 06G-P4-1161
    Gigabyte B450M DS3H, AM4 Socket
    Ballistix DDR4-2666 16GB Ram
    ARESGAME 750W 80+ Bronze PSU
    Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
    Seagate bCuda 2TB HDD
    Windows 10 pro
    ASUS VG248QE 144Hz Monitors(27" x2)
    forrestang
    FTW Member
    Re:help fix disk boot failure 2012/10/12 19:36:36 (permalink)
    Messed around with it some more.......

I tried disconnecting everything save for the SSD.  I then switched around the SSD to SATA0, Cleared the Bios, set the mobo to ACH1.  Still, it won't boot.  It goes past post, then to the Windows Start screen with the 4 dots that merge to the windows symbol, then quickly flash a BSOD and restarts.  It will do this forever.

So, reset the bios again, set the mobo back to IDE, and it booted to windows fine with only the SSD connected.  Reconnected DVD and HDD, and it now boots fine again.  

But I cannot get the mobo to function in ACH1 properly.  It seems other people have had this problem with the X58.  Some people said they switched ports around, and had success.  Not me.

I'm not sure if only certain SATA ports will function in ACH1 or what?  I'm not sure how much better things would function in ACH, but I can't get it to work.

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
    Seagate bCuda 2TB HDD
    Windows 10 pro
    DOS_equis
    • Total Posts : 47
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:help fix disk boot failure 2012/10/12 20:46:31 (permalink)
    forrestang

Messed around with it some more.......

I tried disconnecting everything save for the SSD.  I then switched around the SSD to SATA0, Cleared the Bios, set the mobo to ACH1.  Still, it won't boot.  It goes past post, then to the Windows Start screen with the 4 dots that merge to the windows symbol, then quickly flash a BSOD and restarts.  It will do this forever.

So, reset the bios again, set the mobo back to IDE, and it booted to windows fine with only the SSD connected.  Reconnected DVD and HDD, and it now boots fine again.  

But I cannot get the mobo to function in ACH1 properly.  It seems other people have had this problem with the X58.  Some people said they switched ports around, and had success.  Not me.

I'm not sure if only certain SATA ports will function in ACH1 or what?  I'm not sure how much better things would function in ACH, but I can't get it to work.

You just have to dig into the registry to turn the AHCI mode on in Windows so you can switch it on in the BIOS. If you have IDE on during the install Windows only activates the disk mode necessary to get the job done. The BSOD is related to you switching the mode in BIOS before turning the mode on in the registry. Here is a guide on it:

http://tweaks.com/windows...nvert-from-ide-to-ahci

As far as the OP's boot failure goes you might be having a issue with Windows getting confused if you had more than one drive hooked up during the install. You can only have one attached and then after all of the multiple reboots and whatnot you can attach any other drives to the system. If this prob just cropped up then you need to make sure you don't have any viruses infecting your machine and then do a repair install with only the boot drive hooked up. An off chance could be the CMOS battery could be getting weak.

DOS_equis
    forrestang
    FTW Member
    Re:help fix disk boot failure 2012/10/12 22:59:56 (permalink)
    DOS_equis

You just have to dig into the registry to turn the AHCI mode on in Windows so you can switch it on in the BIOS.......

As far as the OP's boot failure goes you might be having a issue with Windows getting confused if you had more than one drive hooked up during the install.................

Wooooow!!!   Dude many thanks!  That fixed my issue IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Created a restore point just in case prior to the change.  But made that ONE change of switching the number "3" to a "0" in that spot in the registry, restarted, enabled ACH1 in bios and it booted up.  First time it took a bit longer for windows to boot, as it was installing the ACH1 controller, and said it needed a restart.  But right after, it booted up with no problems!

All my drives are there, DVD works fine, awesome!   I'm not sure, but it seems like the OP might have had the same problem as me?

Not that I need this functionality for anything right now, but will hot-plugging work with this enabled?

Oh, thanks again man, that was bugging the shiz out of me. 

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
    Seagate bCuda 2TB HDD
    Windows 10 pro
    DOS_equis
    • Total Posts : 47
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:help fix disk boot failure 2012/10/13 05:22:24 (permalink)
    forrestang

DOS_equis

You just have to dig into the registry to turn the AHCI mode on in Windows so you can switch it on in the BIOS.......

As far as the OP's boot failure goes you might be having a issue with Windows getting confused if you had more than one drive hooked up during the install.................

Wooooow!!!   Dude many thanks!  That fixed my issue IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Created a restore point just in case prior to the change.  But made that ONE change of switching the number "3" to a "0" in that spot in the registry, restarted, enabled ACH1 in bios and it booted up.  First time it took a bit longer for windows to boot, as it was installing the ACH1 controller, and said it needed a restart.  But right after, it booted up with no problems!

All my drives are there, DVD works fine, awesome!   I'm not sure, but it seems like the OP might have had the same problem as me?

Not that I need this functionality for anything right now, but will hot-plugging work with this enabled?

Oh, thanks again man, that was bugging the shiz out of me. 

Yeah hot swapping will work BUT... you will have to either use the "safely remove hardware" thingy in the tray, go into disk management or use an app called HotSwap to dismount the drive(s) before pulling any of them or you run the chance or corrupting data.
    http://www.softpedia.com/...ncements/HotSwap.shtml

Dismounting the drive just gets Windows to flush the write cache and gets it to ignore the drive. I think you can only hotswap HDD's that are running in AHCI mode TBH. I think that was one of the positive features of the technology when it came out. Glad that my advice helped your issues. :) I think OP has more or other issues than this though.

DOS_equis
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile