EVGA

Wondering about the 3080 hybrid with this case layout

Author
Kershek
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/09/15 12:49:46 (permalink)
 Looking for advice, please.  I have been running the 2080 FTW3 Hybrid for 15 months now with no pump noises or issues that I can tell.  The card runs wonderfully cool at full load and I would like to get a 3080 Hybrid when it's available and pass this one down to my son.

As you can see in the photo, due to the inverse nature of my Corsair 600Q case, the AIO tubes are at a downward angle.  Now, I've heard the 3080 Hybrid will need 240mm for its radiator block.  For my case, this would require removing the fans on the bottom and putting the radiator there, since the CPU radiator takes the front position.

Two questions: 
1) Since I don't seem to have an issue with my current card, would it be ok to install the 3080 radiator at the bottom?
2) Would the 3080 AIO Hybrid radiator hoses even be long enough to get to the bottom of the case?

post edited by Kershek - 2020/09/15 12:53:01

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

Kershek
    Re: Wondering about the 3080 hybrid with this case layout 2020/09/16 14:09:53 (permalink)
    Ok, so I've done more research and have come to the conclusion that my inverse case sub-optimal for multiple AIOs due to radiator placement choices.  While my CPU AIO radiator is positioned correctly, the 2080 hybrid positions the radiator below the pump built into the card where air in the line would sit. In my case, I'm having no issues with cooling: the 15 month old card runs in a custom O/C setup with MSI Afterburner, never gets above 61c at full load, and is whisper quiet. 

Moving to a 3080 hybrid would mean putting the 240mm radiator at the bottom (not top) of the case due to its inverse nature.  I suppose I'd be rolling the dice as to whether this will cause a long-term issue with the GPU, same with my current setup.  I'm guessing that I'm not the only one with this kind of setup, though.

My research:
    Gamer Nexus AIO positioning (CPU-focused): youtu.be/tU7D6y_QYcI
    EVGA forum post with basically my PC case and issue: EVGA-Hybrid-radiator-location-m2819420.aspx

You may be wondering why I have an inverse case.  I've used them for over a decade and prefer them because my PC is on the right edge of the desk and an inverse case makes it easy to open the right panel to work on it without having to move the PC.

Just wanted to post a response in case someone sees this in the future.
    tamerlee
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: Wondering about the 3080 hybrid with this case layout 2020/09/16 14:14:23 (permalink)
    Strongly recommend placing your radiator above your pump so that the air doesn't get trapped in the pump. As air infiltrates into the loop, it will get worse over time.

If you mount an AIO radiator on the side, make sure the inlet and outlet are on bottom, as you're doing with your CPU radiator.
    post edited by tamerlee - 2020/09/16 14:16:30

Kershek
    Re: Wondering about the 3080 hybrid with this case layout 2020/09/16 14:23:25 (permalink)
    tamerlee
    Strongly recommend placing your radiator above your pump so that the air doesn't get trapped in the pump. As air infiltrates into the loop, it will get worse over time.

If you mount an AIO radiator on the side, make sure the inlet and outlet are on bottom, as you're doing with your CPU radiator.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing a way to do that in my case.  As shown in the photo, the front of the case is the only place that a GPU radiator could get above the GPU pump, and that's being used for the CPU AIO.
    tamerlee
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: Wondering about the 3080 hybrid with this case layout 2020/09/16 14:32:18 (permalink)
    Yeah, really sucks, but here's why:

https://youtu.be/BbGomv195sk

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile