Why no EVGA AMD boards?

Author
dbe425
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2199
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2010/08/26 13:03:41 (permalink)
As the title says, why doesn't EVGA make any AMD boards?  I know Intel is the shizzznit but come on... throw us AMD guys a bone!

27 Replies Related Threads

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 13:39:15 (permalink)
    Why? No market = the number of people demanding it for the price they are willing to spend doesn't match up with the total cost to EVGA to make AMD boards for those people.

At leasst one of three circumstances need to happen to change this:

1. The total cost to make the boards needs to drop so EVGA can deliver products to the existing demand,
    2. More customers need to be interested than there are, or
    3. The existing group of people interested (you included) need to be willing to spend more than you think you should, to account for the costs.
    The trouble is that the current competition for AMD boards is already taking a major share compared to even EVGA's current legacy AMD boards.  Plus if even one of these three situations improve, EVGA will not have these advantages to themselves and will be shared among AMD board competitors; except name brand recognition. 
    post edited by lehpron - 2010/08/26 13:59:48

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 13:52:51 (permalink)
    ^^^ Yep... I have had a few that they once did sell. But the reality is what was mentioned above for the most part.

dbe425
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 14:53:46 (permalink)
    Oh well I guess I'll stick with ASUS for now.  My next complete build won't be for about two years so...we will see what is what when that time comes. 

sinephase
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4167
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 16:17:38 (permalink)
    lehpron

Why? No market = the number of people demanding it for the price they are willing to spend doesn't match up with the total cost to EVGA to make AMD boards for those people.

At leasst one of three circumstances need to happen to change this:

1. The total cost to make the boards needs to drop so EVGA can deliver products to the existing demand,
    2. More customers need to be interested than there are, or
    3. The existing group of people interested (you included) need to be willing to spend more than you think you should, to account for the costs.
    The trouble is that the current competition for AMD boards is already taking a major share compared to even EVGA's current legacy AMD boards.  Plus if even one of these three situations improve, EVGA will not have these advantages to themselves and will be shared among AMD board competitors; except name brand recognition. 

I'm curious to know where you got that specific info from? We see posts asking for AMD boards fairly often around here, and there doesn't seem to be much more competition with AMD boards than there is with Intel boards.
    Also if I'm not mistaken generally AMD solutions are cheaper? Not so?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
    Bertrand Russell
    EVGAWeb_ShaneD
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6384
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 16:24:22 (permalink)
    sinephase
     I'm curious to know where you got that specific info from? 

Business 101 I'm assuming :)

The Ultimate Platform for Gaming, HD Video, Photos, Entertainment & Folding too!          

www.evga.com

(888).881.EVGA                       

email: webmaster@evga.com  

Rudster816
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4353
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 16:31:26 (permalink)
    Because Nvidia doesnt have a chipset out to run against the newest AMD chipsets, in fact, Nvidia has been quite dormant in the chipset world since they lost the ability to produce Intel chipsets.

[22:00:32] NordicJedi: the only way i can read this chatroom is if i imagine you're all dead

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 16:36:00 (permalink)
    Only reason is because NVidia has not made any chipsets in awhile.....nor have a working relationship with AMD at this time.

If either of those changed, you would see an EVGA board within weeks.....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    sinephase
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 17:17:03 (permalink)
    EVGAWeb_ShaneD

sinephase

I guess but business 101 doesn't show you info about demand for a specific product, unless he graduated a month ago and analysed AMD vs. Intel demand as well as demand specifically for EVGA to make AMD motherboards...
    Like I said I'm curious to know where he got that info?

Granted AMD has had a lower market share for a few years now, why is it justifiable for other companies to produce these boards but not EVGA?

@Rudster - nvidia doesn't make intel chipsets anymore so why couldn't they use chipsets from AMD?

post edited by sinephase - 2010/08/26 17:32:21

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
    Bertrand Russell
    reggiesanchez
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1738
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 18:07:52 (permalink)
    sinephase

I guess but business 101 doesn't show you info about demand for a specific product, unless he graduated a month ago and analysed AMD vs. Intel demand as well as demand specifically for EVGA to make AMD motherboards...

Or he has google

Granted AMD has had a lower market share for a few years now, why is it justifiable for other companies to produce these boards but not EVGA?

@Rudster - nvidia doesn't make intel chipsets anymore so why couldn't they use chipsets from AMD?
    Pretty sure he just said amd and nvidia DO NOT HAVE A WORKING RELATIONSHIP

seabigbear
    The Polar Rig Master
    • Total Posts : 20424
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 18:21:41 (permalink)
    There is all ways AMD mobo's in the B-stock there is one in there now!!!

nForce 730a
    • NVIDIA nForce 730a Chipset
    • Supports Phenom, Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64, Sempron, AM2, AM2+
    • Dual Channel DDR2
    • 2600MHz Hyper Transport FSB

merc.man87
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2422
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 19:16:44 (permalink)
    Couldn't hurt to make an AMD motherboard. Either way you slice, some one would be willing to buy it. If there wasn't a decent enough demand for AMD motherboards we would see less manufactures making the motherboards, but if you look, there are tons of board just for AMD. There are people willing to buy them, my 2 cents? Nvidia+Evga, nuff said. XFX tried to go multi brand, look what happened to them. 

AmbroseAthan
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 295
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 19:42:13 (permalink)
    sinephase

EVGAWeb_ShaneD

sinephase

Other companies already had strong investments into AMD; AMD Techs/engineers were already employed, teams for AMD tech support already existed, vendor relationships were solid, etc etc.

EVGA would need to start most of that from scratch right now.  Why would you invest all of that capital in a market that is not worth pursuing at this time based on EVGA's focus/market?  

If AMD brings something more worthy to the table, the demand may make it such that the economies of scale will justify the investment such that a profit could be made.  Small run items cost too much to be worth it for a company to invest in (again because of economies of scale).  It is just not worth the monetary investment at this time.

Also, EVGA is one of the principal NVidia partners.  We won't see AMD EVGA boards unless nVidia starts pushing an AMD solution.  We have not seen much from AMD nForce camp in recent years.

~Ambrose Athan        (affiliate: RQ3A18ZHUR) 
    08G-P5-3767-KR       10/29/2020 6:09:04 AM PT    YES
    10G-P5-3897-KR       9/23/2020 10:01:49 AM PT    No      
    10G-P5-3895-KR       9/23/2020 7:05:04 AM PT      No      
    10G-P5-3881-KR       9/17/2020 7:06:59 AM PT      No
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 21:15:02 (permalink)
    seabigbear

nForce 730a
    • Dual Channel DDR2

I bought two of those and are using them with old Phenoms I had sitting around in a parts box. A lot better mobos than i was using with them.
    _Nite_
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 19175
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 21:33:18 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne

seabigbear

nForce 730a
    • Dual Channel DDR2

I bought two of those and are using them with old Phenoms I had sitting around in a parts box. A lot better mobos than i was using with them.

I thought about buying one as well,  I have a 5600+ X2 AM2, 3GB DDR2, and GTS 250 as a second computer on a cheap HP Micro ATX Board, and problem is the Video Card blocks all the SATA ports, so I'm using a IDE hardrive, and External DVD burner because of it =/

It's just a folding@home box anyway so meh probably no big deal
    post edited by _Nite_ - 2010/08/26 21:57:57

Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4.25Ghz - Asrock B450 Pro 4 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000 - 240GB SSD (OS), 1TB ADATA SU800 SSD and 2TB ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 NVME (Games) - 8GB RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra - Sound Blaster Audigy 5 RX - EVGA Supernova 750w G2 - Antec 302 - 24" Asus VG248QE

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 22:00:42 (permalink)
    IMHO, the sole reason why EVGA doesn't currently do AMD boards is that they always have a narrow focus in what they specialize in and don't tend to deviate too much away from it as a business plan. I'd be perfectly happy if they made AMD mobos though.
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 22:43:30 (permalink)
    EVGAWeb_ShaneD
    sinephase

More or less and somewhat intuitive; market analysis has more of a hobby even since I took those classes in college and computer hardware is just another applicable industry; the one reason why new technology is slow in the commercial space is demand versus cost to satisfy that demand.  It is cheaper and less risky for companies to simply wait for more demand than to try influencing it by bitting a bullet and get the ball rolling.  It doesn't happen often to be a model of success, Apple did it with their Ipod, Toyota's Prius, Boeing's 787, etc.

Much of what I want to work on in my field isn't exactly popular, let alone in existence: Supersonic mass transport systems, in which the same logic applies.  Growing up I've always been told either at career fairs or from professors, or reading in various aviation publications, that there was "no market" for an SST and I never questioned what this meant.  The fact is, even now, some airlines and some routes demand such an airplane, the problem?  Not enough to cover the current costs to develop the airplane.  The average passenger may be willing to spend 25% more just for twice the speed, based on that there is a market for 300 aircraft mainly on the Eastern side of the planet; but current technology costs (if we neglect sonic boom suppresion tech and fuel-efficient engines) still require 600+ to break even, closer to 1,000-units to make a profit over the 20-25yr cycle that airliners typically experience (as opposed to the more torrent annual cycle of computer hardware).  BTW, we're talking about an 200-passenger model in excess of $400 million each, compared to the 280mil 800-passenger subsonic A380 in 2008 prices.

On a similar vein, EVGA needs a break-even, a number of customers to account for the total cost of making an AMD board to support the very lastest CPUs including the upcoming Bulldozer microarchitecture.  We don't know what that number is, but we can conclude that the lack of an SKU thus far could only mean that number hasn't peaked yet.  Companies don't want to just pay for the adventure, they want to get something out of it.  I'm actually curious on whether EVGA's SR-2 had broken-even, whether the number sold thus far has paid for the gamble yet, or when that mark is projected to occur.

I'll bet EVGA is and perhaps always has been looking into an AMD board, but the numbers don't match up yet, but I'm sure they are paying close attention to the marketplace.  One of the best things they have going for them is recognition and reputation, hypothetically if they offered an AM3+ board with Bulldozer capability, it will sell; but enough to make a profit?  EVGA has been absent in the AMD market since their last product was 780a, an nForce chipset.   nVidia stopped making chipsets for both AMD and Intel, so EVGA would have to get an AMD chipset (890X or successor) to make those boards.  Furthermore, similar to the logic behind SR-2, such a board would have require a plethora of features to net the most sales (by satifying as many as possible so they don't have to spend on multiple board types) and thus end up an expensive adventure.  Add in the EVGA tax for popularity and their board could cost more than competing well-known brands for AMD boards, like Asus (which is much bigger in terms of being a financial heavyweight compared to EVGA, they could probably afford to drop prices to compete with EVGA and still make a buck).

Yes, AMD systems typically cost less and that has been a selling point for AMD which has worked so far, but under constant threat as Intel can't stand their existence.  This means we have a general idea of the kind of customer AMD attracts, they aren't all fans, but they either can't afford or shifted budget away from an Intel counterpart.  So how would such a budget-minded 'enthusiast' individual view a potentially expensive EVGA AM3+ board without any recent AMD reputation?  Let's say EVGA could get a majority of Black Edition owners, they must be enthusiasts who want the best AMD CPU for their money, therefore EVGA customer candidates.  But they can also be regulars or brand loyal similar to how we view non-EVGA GeForce cards: Just another vendor, but we are comfortable with what we usually get, and what we know.  Can EVGA sell based solely on their name, like Apple logic?  Maybe, we would have to get the word out.

I know catering to airlines isn't like catering to end-users, but you get the idea; at the end of the day a business' bottomline comes first and many wait for enough demand.  EVGA waited a few months to debut an mATX X58 board after DFI and Asus, another few months for FTW3 support, but a year after i5520 debuted for SR-2 considering the size of that market relative to the forward. 

EVGA would literally need to make a poll, "would you buy an AMD board if they offered it" -- but most of us aren't AMD users and considering where our money has gone so far, how many of us (except the OP and those who geniunely want an EVGA AMD board) would ditch Intel?  EVGA would need new customers, they can't depend on a massive chunk of Intel users to switch unless AMD's CPUs end up better-bang-for-buck.  Intel is paying close attention to AMD in the mainstream space, they might not let AMD take even the slightest advantage for long, unless they can't make a buck first.

Ultimately, you can take this all with salt, I'm speculating based on intuitive reasoning, unless Joe or Jacob wants to come in here and say something...
    post edited by lehpron - 2010/08/26 23:01:26

sinephase
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 22:49:55 (permalink)
    reggiesanchez

sinephase

Or he has google

Pretty sure he just said amd and nvidia DO NOT HAVE A WORKING RELATIONSHIP

That's cool you can find the cost to make the boards and the number of customers interested in choosing an AMD solution for their next build all on teh Googal! Thanx for explaining that too meh!
    And the apparent fact that AMD and nvidia's poor relationship means EVGA is not allowed to make boards with AMD chipsets is also good to know, thanx!
    Sarcasm aside I don't know what to search for to find out the startup/overhead/material costs on manufacturing boards, or what numbers he's going on for them to not be worth selling.
    BTW my tone would be different if yours was (blocked).

@ambrose and brad:
    I can see what you're saying, it's too bad though. It would be interesting to actually see how many EVGA users would have bought an EVGA AMD board that bought another company's.

@lehpron:
    thanks for the reply :)
    I can see what you're saying and it would be tough for them to get into it. It would also be unwise for them not to at least investigate the profitability of creating an AMD board, so maybe you're right that it's just not the right time for them (hopefully that won't always be the case). If they wait much longer but do release something I think it'll definitely be something review sites will want to get their hands on, and it'd be make or break for that initial release ;)
    post edited by sinephase - 2010/08/26 23:01:21

Bertrand Russell
    seabigbear
    The Polar Rig Master
    • Total Posts : 20424
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/26 23:07:12 (permalink)
    _Nite_

Brad_Hawthorne

seabigbear

nForce 730a
    • Dual Channel DDR2

I thought about buying one as well,  I have a 5600+ X2 AM2, 3GB DDR2, and GTS 250 as a second computer on a cheap HP Micro ATX Board, and problem is the Video Card blocks all the SATA ports, so I'm using a IDE hardrive, and External DVD burner because of it =/

It's just a folding@home box anyway so meh probably no big deal

I would say get it only $44.99 + %10 off sence you a folder I have been toying with the idea of bulding a 2nd rig, too!!!

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102452
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 00:10:26 (permalink)
    It's a business decision on EVGA's part. EVGA studies the market carefully and produces products to meet market demand. That's all I can say right now.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

dbe425
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 08:41:57 (permalink)
    While I prefer AMD CPUs I would gladly buy an Evga board.  Business 101 aside, EVGA has an established name & reputation.  If they put out a good board, not too too expensive, it would sell.  I know many people that prefer AMD CPUs but Nvidia GPUs.  My current board is ASUS with Crossfire.  It useless to me because I refuse to go ATI.  I would have long since jumped on the GTX 460 SLI train if my system had the capability.  ASUS actaully makes an AMD SLI board but besides the SLI capability, its a downgrade from my current board.  When I do my next build, I hope there will be a good AMD/SLI board out or I might just have to part ways with AMD!

sakelover
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 264
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 09:11:33 (permalink)

dbe425

As the title says, why doesn't EVGA make any AMD boards?  I know Intel is the shizzznit but come on... throw us AMD guys a bone!

cause AMD sucks compared to Intel?
    performance per dollar AMD always wins, but pure performance AMD loses

RIG#1
    Intel 980x @ 4.42Ghz 24/7 under water 2x Rads, Gigabyte UD9 X58, EVGA 590 GTX (Hydro Copper, Classified), 12GB of DDR3, 1x INTEL SSD SATA3, 4x OCZ SSD/RAID 0, X-FI, Silverstone Strider 1500Watt PSU, MOZART TX case
    http://s755.photobucket.c...over/980x%20and%20UD9/

RIG#2
    i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz, Gigabyte UD3R mobo, XFX 5970, 6GB of DDR3, Intel SSD SATA2, 5x 2TB WD Greens RAID 5, Corsair HX850 Watt PSU, Antec 900 case
    http://s755.photobucket.c...480%20i7%20920%20HTPC/
    NazcaC2
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 7420
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 09:26:04 (permalink)
    @dbe425: You speak as if AMD is a sibling of yours.  A company won't hate you because you choose to go with another one.  Why not take the plunge?!

As per rjohnson's response and even looking at Steam's Hardware & Software Survey for July 2010 it makes perfect sense.
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

Also, considering that in Q2008, Intel's revenue was $37.8 billion (and market capitalization $77.14 billion) while AMD's revenue was $6.013 billion is another reason for EVGA to continue with Intel boards. (cited from a page on Facebook)

However, if you choose that you don't want to switch to Intel, no one's going to stop you.
    post edited by NazcaC2 - 2010/08/27 09:27:59

Intel i9-12900K
    ASUS Prime Z690-A
    Corsair 850W RM850x
    Windows 11 Professional
    Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
    Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 5200MHz
    EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    4x Samsung 2TB 980 Pro SSD + 1x ADATA 512GB SU800
    Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB SIGNATURE SERIES Mid-Tower - Neon Night
    donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15898
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 11:00:13 (permalink)
    dbe425

While I prefer AMD CPUs I would gladly buy an Evga board.  Business 101 aside, EVGA has an established name & reputation.  If they put out a good board, not too too expensive, it would sell.  I know many people that prefer AMD CPUs but Nvidia GPUs.  My current board is ASUS with Crossfire.  It useless to me because I refuse to go ATI.  I would have long since jumped on the GTX 460 SLI train if my system had the capability.  ASUS actaully makes an AMD SLI board but besides the SLI capability, its a downgrade from my current board.  When I do my next build, I hope there will be a good AMD/SLI board out or I might just have to part ways with AMD!

This is why they are not making boards because of consumers in this mind set do not want to pay the price where evga can make the boards at a profit on these boards vs its manufacturing cost.  They cannot afford to go into a venture for the manority like dbe425 the cost factor to start making amd boards vs the consumers and how much they are willing to pay is not enough to cover cost. Like it was already said economics 101. AMD users are not willing to pay out the cost so no boards.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    soybean
    • Total Posts : 91
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 14:00:56 (permalink)
    i would buy ane evga amd mobo if they were even 200 bones. just love evga!
    dbe425
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 14:37:19 (permalink)
    @donta1979 - I said "not too too expensive" I didn't mean cheap.  I would be willing to pay at least $300s for a good EVGA AMD board.  I will admit that I prefer AMD CPUs due to the price vs. performance ratio but I don't skimp on the rest of my builds...hell that's why I only buy EVGA GPUs.  As soon as a fully unleashed EVGA gf104 chip card comes out I'm on it...price be damned!  I just wish I had a EVGA board to run them SLI.  At any rate you all are right.  If there was a real demand then EVGA would be supplying it!       

On a totally unrelated note...I just hit 69 post.  ha ha 69 dude!!!
    post edited by dbe425 - 2010/08/27 14:39:27

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 15:38:52 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    It's a business decision on EVGA's part. EVGA studies their market carefully and produces products to meet their market demand. That's all I can say right now.
    Fixed for clarification; EVGA's products are optimized and priced for a certain type of customer and/or use, not everyone represented in the market.  There are products EVGA doesn't make, that doesn't mean there is not enough demand, just not enough demanding them to do anything about it; hence this topic.

Is it really so rude if an EVGA rep came in here and told anyone asking about an AMD EVGA board, "There aren't enough of you that want us to make one" ?
    dbe425 
    Business 101 aside, EVGA has an established name & reputation.
    ...lately with Intel and nVidia products yes.  But they don't have a name and reputation with recent AMD products.  You want an EVGA AMD board which is great, get more people interested, hundreds more so EVGA can make a buck; otherwise give up because you might not pay too much extra to distribute those costs.  EVGA isn't in control of those costs, we are [based on what features we are willing to pay for].

Edit: $300 for an AMD board, eh?  The most expensive 890GX board on newegg is $230; some might use the logic that for $300 you might as well shift the money to CPU and go Intel.  In any event, there needs to be a lot more people than just you willing to spend $300 too.

dbe425 
    I know many people that prefer AMD CPUs but Nvidia GPUs. 
    Yeah but how many?  EVGA can't just sell a couple dozen like coming off a photocopier at FedEx Kinkos, to keep costs down hundreds need to be made.  Those hundreds of customers need to exist, and not just any AMD users that gets nVidia GPUs, specifically those wanting an EVGA option.

I know a lot of times products come into existence and our typical response are along the lines of "who the hell would get that".  The product may not be for us, but the company did their homework already; they figured out who wants it and then put in the investment. 
    post edited by lehpron - 2010/08/27 15:50:49

Bruno747
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3909
    Re:Why no EVGA AMD boards? 2010/08/27 18:51:18 (permalink)
    Rudster816

Because Nvidia doesnt have a chipset out to run against the newest AMD chipsets, in fact, Nvidia has been quite dormant in the chipset world since they lost the ability to produce Intel chipsets.

All that they have to do is be willing to allow the new amd chips to be licensed for sli, but why would amd wanna pay to license a chip to nvidia, when by not doing so they improve the chances of selling their cards.

On the other hands, like the p55 boards, evga could license individual boards, and thereby make a board that supports sli with an AMD chipset.

X399 Designare EX, Threadripper 1950x, Overkill Water 560mm dual pass radiator. Heatkiller IV Block Dual 960 EVO 500gb Raid 0 bootable, Quad Channel 64gb DDR4 @ 2933/15-16-16-31, RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, Corsair RM850x, Tower 900
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile