EVGA

When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience?

Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31038
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 123
2023/03/05 14:13:54 (permalink)
Felt compelled to share this BAD experience when trying to buy (4) M.2 1TB SSD ---> as a Warning to other potential customers of Western Digital on the official WD store.

WD Store has Many issues in how they are doing the "MATH" of "On Sale" & "promotional discounts"

So, I get an email from WD Title reads   "Save 25% when you buy two SSD"

NOTE: the WD email does have some "fine print" farther down on the page ---> "Up to" 25% ... when you read the email carefully. 

OK, but "Up To 25%" never appears anywhere on the WD website, WD Store or WD checkout.  The SSDs that do qualify for the (full) 25% discount are Never listed on the WD site, WD Store or WD checkout

-->the WD Store does Not list that UP to 25% "detail" when you click the link "Shop Now" provided in the WD email - or - on the link provided right on the WD Product page "Buy 2 and Save, on select SSDs, now through 3/4 See more details." (see attached photos

I check the link to the drives in the email (also I manually entered the web address) & find the drives are already On Sale

---> Regularly $109.99 listed on the WD product page as only $99.99 each

Try and buy the drives & the pricing displayed & final Price are some sort of JOKE ... they go back to Full MSRP

--->WD never tells you the actual % discount they have secretly decided to  award you

The WD store shopping cart is yet another Joke .... (where did those numbers come from?)

---> Where did the "$80.00 discount" as shown in My cart GO?  ($99.99 xQt 4) - $80.00 = $319.96

---> Why is the % Discount not displayed Clearly in the Cart?

---> Why does the sub-total Increase in the Cart? to "$439.96" from the displayed Price of $399.96 as displayed to the left of the checkout ?

---> Even if WD interpretation of the Discount is correct  (10%) .....  (how would I know, it is not displayed in the Cart or anywhere on the page)
     --> Why is discount percentage - Hidden to the Customer?  
     --> Why is Pricing & Discount displayed so Poorly in the Cart?

---> first WD jacks the price backup to MSRP  

---> then WD subtracts a Fictitious $80.00 discount

Next day, I received a new email from WD, that I have items left in my Cart & it contained a 10% discount code to use, when I complete my purchase.  NO, the 10% discount does not work.  Yes, I've read the terms about "promotion "Up to 25% discount, can't be combined with other offers" ......

My point  --> Why did WD even send the 10% code to nudge me to complete the checkout, if the Terms do not allow it?

Seems the back-end at WD website & store needs an overhaul, and maybe even some new team members, because the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing!

Western Digital Customer Service replies to my request for help:  You got a 10% discount the cart price is correct 

Did any of the SSD really qualify for Advertised special --> Buy 2 & Save 25% ? ... there is No Way of knowing .... WD Never Published which discount was available for which SSDs

*** LOOK @ the Crazy numbers in the Cart ***

on the left is the Sale price of $399.96 (red circle & filled arrow pointing Up)

In the checkout -- WD Removes the "sale price" & puts in Full MSRP (red circle & unfilled arrow pointing right)

$439.96 (Minus 10% special discount According to WD's CS rep) = $43.99 & NOT $80.00 ..... where did $80.00 come from?

Displayed price on WD page = $399.96 - $80.00 =  $319.96  (using WD's $80 discount)

---> Note nowhere is the % discount listed in your cart

The "Details & Exclusions" popup on the WD site  ---> Note, nowhere is the % discount listed or limited (up to 25%)

on WD product page --> you see the "Buy 2 and Save" link --> click that link & this is the popup & "Up To 25%" is Not listed, in Fact the % of discount for any of the drives is Not Listed

The WD page when you look at the drives ---> Note the advertised price, before the special discount is applied

Under the "Add to Cart" (blue button) on the WD product page --> you will see the "Buy 2 and Save" link

The Email BAIT ..... simple, no words like "Up To" in that title

If you click on that link "Shop Now" shown in the email in photo below --- You will Never see those "key words"  --- "Up to 25%" ...... you need to read father down the page to see the fine print "Up to" 25% - it is Below the "Shop Now" button

This is not the way to win customers, where is the Truth in Advertising?

WD Store & website seem to have Many "issues" in how they are doing the "MATH" of "On Sale" & "promotional discounts"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/06 11:56:05 (permalink)
Update --> new email response received from WD CS

------------------------- (snip email)--------------------------------------------
"We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience and hassle this has caused you. Our fulfillment center has just provided us with the following discount coupon code for you to use: (removed code by OP)

With this code, you will be able to purchase 4 x1TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe™ SSD (WDS100T2X0E) for $323.96 + taxes (bundle price + 10% off). 

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further."
 ---------------------------------------------------(end email snip)--------------------------------------------------

---> OK, better price than what the cart showed - "Before saving" was only (-$80.00) "Now saving" $116.00 - from MSRP

---> Still No Idea why they call that a 10% discount - as displayed in the cart ---> Must be results of New Math ?

---> Full MSRP - $116 special discount = $323.96  (but what percentage of discount are they calculating - hint that is not 10%)

----> Though it is an additional 10% discount, from what the earlier cart total used to be   (see photo in first post)

placed my order anyways - As this represents an Over - 25% discount from MSRP - (@ sale of 99.99 ea - this is just over 19% discount) & got the drives for $80.99 each - shipped

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10107
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/07 00:50:18 (permalink)
I know they are kind odd since they use the original release price which is always super high from what the drives actually are sold for. Then it took getting into checking out before it would show the discounts applied.

For me I had a discount code but it wouldn’t take the discount code but the sale price was better then what the code would have offered. So like you I placed the order. I would have however liked to not have the discount hidden until checking out.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/07 09:58:44 (permalink)
Should not be all that hard to be transparent about pricing & discount ..... (most) other company stores/carts can do it correctly

It should not be that hard to spend over $300 on drives

I spent my time & effort as a matter of principle, regarding the situation. 

Came within inches of buying a competitor's product; decided to wait one more day for WD to correct the situation & CS happened to send the new email with the offer, that I accepted

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10107
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/07 23:12:05 (permalink)
I agree but it’s likely that Western Digital being a manufacturer might have agreements with retailers on what they can show as the lowest price before discounts and coupons. When you go to the cart they can breakdown those automatic discounts and avoid violating the agreements with vendors.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Bobmitch
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8341
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/08 06:40:14 (permalink)
My experience with the WD store is that, when they have a sale, the price of a product is discounted already.  When you add a product to your cart and add a savings code on top...the product shows up in your cart at MSRP instead of the discounted price shown when you made your choice.  I no longer buy in the WD store...but if I want a product from WD...I purchase at Microcenter, Best Buy or Newegg.  Their purchase policy with a discount code is a waste of time at this point.

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 CL30 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i LCD 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; Corsair K70 RGB Pro MX Speed Silver Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10351
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/08 08:47:09 (permalink)
When I experience anything like this no matter the retailer, I lose trust instantly.  Like having a "fast one" pulled on me. 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/09 08:18:42 (permalink)
bobmitch
My experience with the WD store is that, when they have a sale, the price of a product is discounted already.  When you add a product to your cart and add a savings code on top...the product shows up in your cart at MSRP instead of the discounted price shown when you made your choice.  I no longer buy in the WD store...but if I want a product from WD...I purchase at Microcenter, Best Buy or Newegg.  Their purchase policy with a discount code is a waste of time at this point.

the other typical eCommerce sites, could not match the price ... buying direct eventually represented a $76.00 savings

sale price everywhere $99.99 ---- Eventually WD price $80.99 = $19 X (Qt4) = $76 & free shipping

$76 is not huge amount, but it enough for 18 gallons of Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline .. so I can Feed my ROUSH Mustang

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/09 08:21:57 (permalink)
bdary
When I experience anything like this no matter the retailer, I lose trust instantly.  Like having a "fast one" pulled on me. 

Agree, it is not a warm & fuzzy feeling.  My history of performance & long lasting "WD BLACK" drives was the only real reason I wanted to buy these drives over the competition.  Lately Samsung has fallen on their face too many times with firmware issues on the newest M.2 drives --> So Samsung was NOT on my short list

Try buying anything online a GameStop recently? or Calling GameStop CS? (better be read to be in queue for Over 30 min)   Makes this WD store experience look like a day at the beach

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10351
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: When on Sale at WesternDigital.com/store ---> NOT - a good experience? 2023/03/10 08:28:51 (permalink)
Cool GTX
bdary

Agree, it is not a warm & fuzzy feeling.  My history of performance & long lasting "WD BLACK" drives was the only real reason I wanted to buy these drives over the competition.  Lately Samsung has fallen on their face too many times with firmware issues on the newest M.2 drives --> So Samsung was NOT on my short list

Try buying anything online a GameStop recently? or Calling GameStop CS? (better be read to be in queue for Over 30 min)   Makes this WD store experience look like a day at the beach

I hear you...  I've used Samsung drives exclusivley for many years now, but after this latest 980/990 Pro debacle, I recently bought the WD NVME drive you mention above as a backup for one of my 980 Pro drives.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile