EVGA

Water Cooled EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti Black Screening Under Load (~71*C)

Author
engrdan
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/05/14 18:10:14 (permalink)
Mid 2020 I took my existing computer (seen here; ) and I traded the GPU with a local guy for a EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti because I needed a GPU that would fit the water block in EK's O11D water cooling kit. Now that I had a GPU that would fit I converted the components into this build; . *NOTE THAT THIS IS MY CURRENT BUILD

I've been gaming and working on this new water-cooled PC configuration for about a year now but in the last three weeks I have been experiencing issues when I try to play more GPU heavy games such as Apex Legends, Scavengers (early access), Remnant From the Ashes, & Grand Theft Auto V. The issue is that both my monitors black screen when the GPU is under heavy load; tested Ultra settings in Heaven Benchmark and it crashed a few minutes in once the GPU hit 71*C. The interesting thing is that the PC still runs and I get audio from the games and discord but I have to force restart the PC in order to restore the GPU signal. I'm using a display port main gaming monitor () and an HDMI for my 56" Samsung TV (read as "secondary monitor"). I've tried unplugging and re-plugging in the HDMI cable and DP cables into the GPU/monitors to no avail, I've tried to redownload the latest GeForce drivers (466.27) to no avail, and I have checked my fan and pump curves in my BIOS and everything there is fine. 

Interestingly enough this issue began occurring right about when the temperatures in my region began to climb into the 80s but also coincided with the latest NVIDIA GeForce driver update version 466.27 released on 4/29/21. Just an FYI; I have an AC unit in my room that keeps ambient temps at around 70-72*F.

I'm wondering if there is some EVGA programing that is holding this card back from being able to operate up to it's potential operating parameters of 80*C. 2080 ti cards really shouldn't be thermal throttling at temps below 85-90*C so I'm at a loss as to why mine is having this issue at 71*C. I know about NVIDIA's GPU Boost 4.0 as well but am not sure if that has anything to do with this issue either.

Please let me know if you know of any potential solutions for this issue.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks.   

6 Replies Related Threads

engrdan
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Water Cooled EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti Black Screening Under Load (~71*C) 2021/05/14 18:38:38 (permalink)
    first PC; 
    Converted to this current build; 
    This is my main monitor; 
     Ok well links from PC Park picker are not allowed apparently so whatever...
    post edited by engrdan - 2021/05/14 20:03:19
    Beanard
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Water Cooled EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti Black Screening Under Load (~71*C) 2021/06/05 01:41:01 (permalink)
    Does it always black screen at 71 degrees? I'm thinking you might want to try undervolting slightly to reduce the temperature, if even by a couple degrees. Do you have drivers earlier than 466.27 that you can roll back to? The only other thing I think is to check for leaks with the water block, although I think a leak would cause more severe problems if it shorts anything.
    Joshmac
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re: Water Cooled EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti Black Screening Under Load (~71*C) 2021/06/05 07:21:51 (permalink)
    Is it still under warranty? if it is you could just do that. Maybe repaste it or add a better cooler to see if it helps 
    fuzzdad
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Water Cooled EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti Black Screening Under Load (~71*C) 2021/06/05 16:20:06 (permalink)
    You should not have a crash at 70C...whether on water or air.  That said...71C is pretty high for water.  I've been running EKWB water blocks for years...cards on water get hot for various reasons...the room you're in is that hot, there's a problem w/flow, thermal paste, it's a 3090 that burns up, etc.  But....usually you get that when you first put your card on water...not after a while (like a year). My 2070 runs at 35-45C max even if the room is 80F.  Have you checked your other temps?  CPU/etc?  Check voltage too...are you overclocking your card? Does your pump work properly? If you have a closed loop w/CPU, are your CPU temps rising as well?

Couple of things you should do regardless or reason:

1) Take off ANY overclocking you have in place...set your video card go to its default settings.
    2) Do you have disk space?  I know that sounds weird but check to make sure you have plenty of disk space (swap-space issues cause problems).
    3) Do you have any custom settings in BIOS?  Go default.
    4) Have you pulled and reseated your card recently (or any other component)?  Reseat them properly.
    5) Are all the cables properly attached to/from PSU?

Although this should not have any impact if you say it crashes at 71C, take a look at the GPU slot/fin area of the block and see if there's gunk in there.  If so, drain the loop, clean it, and refill (check CPU block as well).

post edited by fuzzdad - 2021/06/05 16:21:50

Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Water Cooled EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti Black Screening Under Load (~71*C) 2021/06/06 23:27:02 (permalink)
    As strange as it sounds, I advise you to do a few things.
    1. It is possible that during the installation of the water block or the cooling system, the cooling thermal pad or the power supply elements or memory chips were installed incorrectly.
    2. Perhaps the chip is dumped, do not be surprised, the dump is not necessarily accompanied by colored artifacts.
    3. The memory cells are damaged. They can be easily checked using the MATS program.
    4. Try using a different power supply, if possible.
    DonArgo
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: Water Cooled EVGA XC Ultra 2080 ti Black Screening Under Load (~71*C) 2021/06/09 14:46:08 (permalink)
    I always start by reverting the last change that was made, whether it's a driver update, overclock settings, changes to ambient temperatures, etc.

Don
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile