Helpful ReplyWant to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
asterothe1905
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/01/10 16:32:57 (permalink)
I'm not sure if this is the right place for that question. What would I need to take care of liquid cooling? 
This will be my second PC so I can buy everything new in time. CPU and GPU should be in a single water loop preferably right? 

Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/10 16:53:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/12 14:40:23
Custom loops are not too hard to do but you need to spend time researching what to do and how to do it.  There's more than just slapping a bunch of parts together and filling it up.  I suggest you search everyone's favorite Youtube website first before you consider trying to do a loop yourself.  If you are asking a broad question like this, then I would strongly recommend you do a bunch of homework first and develop a plan on what you want to do and how to do it first.  Then come back here and see if anyone can help make sure you are on the right path.  Custom loops for new users might not be the greatest thing especially if you are trying to design, build, and develop the list of parts you need for your system.  Though you could pay someone to do this for you if your pockets are deep.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/10 17:02:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/12 14:40:29
In making a custom loop, half the fun is in experimenting and making it look pretty.  Sometimes I kind of just look at mine for a minute or two even thoughts not the baddest build around I'm still happy :)

You might want to decide on a case first.  Lian Li O11D XL is a very common choice.  I did a Fractal design Define 7.  To get ideas on what you can do with the case you pick out, punch that case name into a youtube search with "custom loop" appended and see what you can find.  Then from there, you can see a handful of custom and complete systems and make your choices on parts from there.

At minimum, you need a few radiators, a GPU block, a CPU block and a pump.  Might as well get a pump/reservoir combo.  Then you need tubing and fittings.

There are two types of tubing... hard and soft.  And then there are different dimensions of tubing diameters.  Make sure you get tubing that fits the connectors you like.  I did 10/16mm EK ZMT rubber tubing.  its very easy to work with, fittings are usually in stock at US based stores like https://www.performance-pcs.com/ (no affiliation).

Dont mix aluminum fittings in with copper/nickel/brass.  Stick to copper/nickel/brass.  It does matter.. fluid.  If you go with distilled water, you might want to get some Hades Extreme and put a couple of drops in your loop res every month or so.  

^^^ Got speed nailed it

post edited by redteamgo - 2022/01/10 17:03:20

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
asterothe1905
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/11 09:06:00 (permalink)
Thank you @Gotspeed_2000 and @redteamgo! I definitely will do my HW , research.
I think I get an AiO for this GPU or a custom loop that would cover both CPU and GPU, is that correct?

Also an additional question: Since I have hydro copper , I don't need  to buy a water block for GPU.  Is that true?
post edited by asterothe1905 - 2022/01/11 15:28:02
asterothe1905
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 13:49:10 (permalink)
To bump this : 
Since I have hydro copper , I don't need  to buy a water block for GPU.  Is that true?
malbadon
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 14:11:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/12 14:39:53
the hydro copper is your water block, correct.
You need a radiator, fans, a pump, fittings and hoses.

If you want the CPU in the loop as well (why wouldn't you), a cpu block as well.
asterothe1905
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 14:40:12 (permalink)
Thank you @malbadon.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 14:45:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/12 14:59:10
First and foremost, do some research before doing anything.  Shouldn't take too long but this video does it justice.  Granted it's old but the same concept applies.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
asterothe1905
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 14:59:46 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
First and foremost, do some research before doing anything.  Shouldn't take too long but this video does it justice.  Granted it's old but the same concept applies.

I already started and will keep  doing it. I will make this a fun no rush project. Thanks!
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 15:19:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/12 15:27:18
asterothe1905
GTXJackBauer

I already started and will keep  doing it. I will make this a fun no rush project. Thanks!

Best way to do it.  

Once you're all said and done, ask away.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Gotspeed_2000
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 15:57:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/12 17:37:21
Asterothe1905,
Since you already have the hydro copper gpu, it makes things a lot easier as now you wont have to disassemble your gpu to custom loop your pc.  Redteamtango covered a lot of the subject matter so I'll just go a little further to try and help you.  

Case is very important as it provides you the foundation for your build.  If performance is your goal, then you want to make sure you have enough radiator capacity and room to work with for your performance targets.  Budget also has a huge impact as well so if you are limited in budget then you also want to do a ton of homework to get the most performance out of your monies available for your build.  Depending on your ambient temps and what you do with your pc, you will need to take those into consideration.  If your room is climate controlled or very cool then that will help lower temps however if you live in a warmer environment and don't use a/c then that will be a larger factor as heat eventually affects performance.  The Lian Li O11XL is a common case for builds.  It is a pretty large case so be sure to look at any manufacturer's website for case dimensions as well as for radiator support for cases you might be interested in.  Plan for a larger build to support enough rad space and so that you are able to work in.  Smaller cases can be more challenging to install enough radiator capacity to support loops so unless there is an absolute need for a smaller case then I'd stick to something like the O11 XL.  There are tons of videos on youtube of people using that case so it can give you ideas on what parts to use and installation of those parts into the case.  

I know from the past Redteamtango started out with a smaller case and he moved his loop and components to a larger case after he didn't get the performance from his custom loop he was seeking.  Limitations on radiator capacity affected his loop's ability to cool his components which lead him to change case and add radiator capacity to gain the performance he was looking for.  He can detail more of his experience on this matter.  

The open loop should be planned before anything is bought.  Think about the radiator length and thicknesses you plan on using and their impacts on cooling.  Redteamtango also covered the types of tubing you can use.  For first time users it is much easier to use soft tubing to route your coolant through the loop.  Be sure to research fittings and purchase tubing to match the diameter of the fitting you choose.  Some fittings just slide the tube onto it, others like EK not only slide on the fitting but also capture it as well giving you better seal and less chance of if slipping off.  Pump/res combo are nice, but getting them into your loop can be tricky at times.  Companies make distroplates which mount in the case that have ports you can use to route your coolant.  If you go with soft tubing the benefits of the distroplate are diminished as the soft tubing is fairly easy to route through the case.  The distroplate with pump is more costly so if you are going with soft tubing then I'd stick with a pump/res combo that you can fit into your case.  I like pump/res combos with D5 pumps for their high output and long life.  Malbadon also recommended the use of a CPU block which is absolutely the right call if you are going to water cool your gpu.  I would recommend the Optimus line of CPU blocks as the cost is very reasonable for the materials and performance.  The main drawback to their product is lead time.  When it says in stock, it really means they have the materials to make your order so if you order the cpu block it may take around 4 weeks to get it in.  But the block is really good and the materials they use are top notch.  

Hard tube system are not that difficult to do, but it does take time and patience.  If you are unsure, the safer bet would be to use soft tubes, but I just want to share that using hard tubes doesn't require expert knowledge or knowhow.  It does require to research and practice doing bends and then planning bends and layout.  Anything wrong in the bends or layout are more difficult to overcome with hard tubes.  If you do use hard tubes, that's where the distroplate/pump setup can come in handy.  The distro plates can be used for cases which make the use of hard tubes much easier by reducing the need for tubes to have more than on bend in them.  A tube with a single bend is fairly easy to do, it's when you have tube routing that requires some to have more than one bend where it gets a little tricky for some.  

Lastly the components of your pc needs to be considered.  You already are getting a pretty good gpu, so I assume you would want to get a decent overall experience.  Get a Motherboard which is middle of the pack.  You can go high end, but you probably wont use most of the features so it could be considered a waste of money.  Mid level board depend on your CPU choice so I can't recommend anything specifically but for X570 I like the Strix E and for Z690 it would come down to your ability to get DDR5 ram.  For the Z690 if you can't get DDR5 for a decent price I like the Asus Strix A board.  There are a few boards from MSI that are very solid, but the quick release PCI slot is handy, the VRMS on that board are solid, the bios is easy to navigate, it has bios flashback in case you need to reflash or update bios, it has a good amount of nvme ports, built in wifi if needed, and it's a unicorn white board for less than 400 bucks on amazon.  if you can get DDR5 ram then the choices really open up so then you would need to do more research.  I bought the Strix A for my son's pc upgrade that I need to so which is why I researched that board.  For me and what I need for his gaming needs it was the board for the build since he already has a white theme.  Read the manual and make use of the gen 4 nvme options to max out performance.  Also I would not skimp on the PSU.  EVGA has some pretty good deals on the 1300, 1200, and 1000 watt psus.  I would get the 1300 if the budget allows.  The pc will only pull power it needs regardless of how much unused capacity the psu has.  This just gives you more headroom in the future.  I'd also get atleast gold rated for it as well.  

Plan your build and make sure to budget and layout all the cost on a spreadsheet so you are able to see what you are spending and if you covered all your needs.  This is the among the first things I do when I help people with their open loop.  Creating a spreadsheet helps you keep your cost within your expectations and allows you to see where the money is going in case you need to pull back some.  Costs for custom pcs can get out of hand and things like fans, adapters, extensions all start to add up.  Especially fans as they can add a lot to your build costs depending on the choice you make.  

Hope this is helpful to you.  Good luck with your build and enjoy your Hydro Copper 3080.  It should be a very good gpu.  

Corsair 1000D Obsidian Case
I9 13900K with EK Velocity 2 Block
ASUS 4090 Strix with Optimus Block
ASUS Hero Z690 Mobo
64GB DDR5 RAM Trident 6000Mhz 
1TB Nvme primary /2*2TB Nvme secondary/1tb & 2TB SSD drive
EVGA 1600 Watt PSU
30 Lian Li AL120 fans
2 * 480mm medium thickness rad, 2 * 360mm medium thickness rad, with
Two EK Pump/res combos.  Custom hard tube loop.  
Samsung G7 32" Monitor
EVGA Z20 Keyboard
Glorious Model O
Ineedgfx
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 16:58:51 (permalink)
My set up is old school because it's been 10 years since I last water cooled & I like the older way of doing water cooling.

Ended up using dual 420's for just the 3080Ti & the card runs at 2.1Ghz while staying under 40C while playing Apex Legends at 3840x1600x141FPS. Did I mention the Arctic cooling fans just make a low whoosh for those temps???

Rig:
Asus Z690 Strix D4
Super Flower 1K Plat
EVGA 3080Ti
12700k(5.3Ghz)/2tb&1tb NVME/32GB 3600/14/14/14/14
asterothe1905
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/12 17:38:31 (permalink)
Thank you again @Gotspeed_2000. I will take these into consideration. I want to have good performance and a high end system but do not want to spend a fortune. 
vodaje
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 09:52:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/13 13:27:32
A lot of good commentary above and I think it's definitely worth doing. I just finished a 5800X and 3080ti hydrocopper build and I can only add a few things:
  1. Don't use QL fans if you want to keep fan speed low (or a quite PC), they really have terrible static pressure. Go with a good static pressure fan. (Ask me how I know)
  2. A thin 360mm rad and a thin 280mm rad are barely enough to keep my temps where I would like (especially with bad static pressure fans) so with the new CPU's and a 3080 I'd recommend two 360mm radiators. 
  3. If you're going to do straight runs / one 90 bend only consider acrylic (PMMA) over PETG as you don't have to worry as much about coolant temp. Rigid or soft is perfectly acceptable each has benefit.
  4. If you're like me you'll want to know what the coolant temp is. You can order a cheap 10K temp sensor and most motherboards have a T Sensor input, which you can use to control your temps through the bios in absence of better software.
  5. Check all o-rings before you finish assembly. Turns out one of my EK fittings was shipped without an o-ring and caused a small leak (EK is sending a replacement). 
  6. There is a recommended flow path for HydroCopper cards (left to right), but EVGA says it's not critical.
  7. Do not forget a drain valve, it's going to be worth the effort to install it immediately. Also, when you do drain a system you'll need to have the drain valve and fill valve open in order to actually get substantial fluid out.
  8. Lastly, if you can, leave space in your tubing runs to access PC components that way you don't have to drain the system if you decide to change cables or fans. 
Building my first open loop was a lot of fun, but I wasn't able to justify the expense based on performance improvements alone. I did it because I wanted to learn and that was definitely worth it.
post edited by vodaje - 2022/01/13 10:04:37
asterothe1905
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 13:29:14 (permalink)
vodaje
A lot of good commentary above and I think it's definitely worth doing. I just finished a 5800X and 3080ti hydrocopper build and I can only add a few things:
  1. Don't use QL fans if you want to keep fan speed low (or a quite PC), they really have terrible static pressure. Go with a good static pressure fan. (Ask me how I know)

Thank you vodaje.  Tell me about the fans also the ones you recommend please.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 13:33:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/13 16:41:59
asterothe1905
vodaje

Thank you vodaje.  Tell me about the fans also the ones you recommend please.

If you're looking for performance rad fans without the RGB bling, etc., good static pressure and low audibles, Noctua A12 PWM or their anticipated fans in black, Chromax.

To make things easier, I would look at the custom cooling from Corsair.  It's a one stop shop and can use their fans hubs with software for monitoring and control whether it be fans, temp probes or all their RGB related products.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2022/01/13 13:36:23

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 14:29:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/13 16:42:15
Low FPI (Fins Per Inch) Radiators combined with low RPM / High Static Pressure Fans i the key. to keeping your coolant cool....
I've had a coolant temp probe in my WC'ing misc parts box since 2014, have never used it.

Once you get intimate with your loop you will know exactly how effective it is by simply monitoring your GPU temperatures (if your GPU in incorporated into your loop).

Idle GPU temps in an effective loop should be very very close to room ambient temp, this will be representative of your coolant temp.
Once you game or throw an intensive benchmark at your GPU, the lower the temp on load, the more effective your loop.

My current loop for example:
3080Ti w Vector Water Block (480*360*240 Radiators) all Low FPI w High Static Pressure Fans, Fans set n forget 1450 RPM, Pump set n forget 3100 RPM.
Ambient 20c
GPU Idle 20c
GPU full load 42c
After shutting down the Program it takes about 2-3 minutes for my GPU to return to ambient 20c.
The above temps alone let me know that the loop is very effective.

Once you close a GPU intensive program the quicker your GPU drops down to (close to ambient..also representative of coolant temp), the more effective your loop is.

Order of components and pump speed dont make much difference at in coolant temps, in an effective loop regardless of order or pump speed (obviously not dead slow or full snot), the coolant temp should be very close to ambient, this alone lets you know how well your loop is working.

As said at the front end, low FPI Rads and high static pressure fans are key.

I have been setting up and running custom loops since 2013, they really are very simple, very robust and very effective.

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

BiLLbOuS
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 15:32:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby asterothe1905 2022/01/13 16:42:19
Got mine on dual loop, way better, have the gpu look on a external dual thickness triple rad. Guess it all depends on how many rads you can squeeze in your case.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 16:48:34 (permalink)
BiLLbOuS
Got mine on dual loop, way better, have the gpu look on a external dual thickness triple rad. Guess it all depends on how many rads you can squeeze in your case.

Dual loops are overkill unless you're looking to spend a boat load for a few less delta-temps.  Single loops are more than enough with the right amount of gear and everything dialed in.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 16:52:39 (permalink)
BiLLbOuS

.....adding more radiators to a system whereby coolant / idle GPU are at or very near ambient is as good as it gets.....as you cannot cool beyond ambient (without chillers), so adding more rads isnt going to do anything at this point.

I tried a dual loop a few yrs ago (one loop cooling SLi 780Ti's and the other cooling a highly OC'd 3930K) saw minimal gains over going back to a good efficient single loop....

I have noticed a lot of folks now going with slim or higher density rads (to fit in smaller cases), so there coolant temp is sitting higher than ambient.
My very old 900D Case is large enough to comfortable fit 3 radiators all Low FPI (so fairly thick rads)....XSPC RX versions.

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

BiLLbOuS
  • Total Posts : 99
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 16:53:07 (permalink)
Tell that to a 5950x and a 3090, but overkill for sure for anything less for sure
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 16:54:06 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
BiLLbOuS

Dual loops are overkill unless you're looking to spend a boat load for a few less delta-temps.  Single loops are more than enough with the right amount of gear and everything dialed in.

+1 !!! Although from a hobbiest perspective although not necessary, fun to play with.

rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 16:57:30 (permalink)
BiLLbOuS
Tell that to a 5950x and a 3090, but overkill for sure for anything less for sure

Not required at all, not for my 3080Ti and 12900K ....same goes for a 5950X and 3090......as GTX pointed out if your using the correct Rads n Fans no need for dual loop.....perhaps your using high density (High FPI) Radiators w not great fans?

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 17:06:18 (permalink)
rjbarker
BiLLbOuS

.....adding more radiators to a system whereby coolant / idle GPU are at or very near ambient is as good as it gets.....as you cannot cool beyond ambient (without chillers), so adding more rads isnt going to do anything at this point.

I tried a dual loop a few yrs ago (one loop cooling SLi 780Ti's and the other cooling a highly OC'd 3930K) saw minimal gains over going back to a good efficient single loop....

I have noticed a lot of folks now going with slim or higher density rads (to fit in smaller cases), so there coolant temp is sitting higher than ambient.
My very old 900D Case is large enough to comfortable fit 3 radiators all Low FPI (so fairly thick rads)....XSPC RX versions.

+1  Agree

Funny thing is, I'm still using the 900D (240/360/480mm + dual D5s in serial) and looking to downscale after years with these mammoth extra large cases. lol  My body isn't jiving like it used to.  Moving these freak of nature around takes a toll out of you.  Looking to eventually downscale and currently planning on just moving to AIOs since they've come a long way and get pretty good temps with the right configuration.

As for those on high FPI rads, I hope they got them screamers on otherwise they aren't utilizing their rad's full potential.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 18:32:10 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
rjbarker
BiLLbOuS

+1  Agree

Funny thing is, I'm still using the 900D (240/360/480mm + dual D5s in serial) and looking to downscale after years with these mammoth extra large cases. lol  My body isn't jiving like it used to.  Moving these freak of nature around takes a toll out of you.  Looking to eventually downscale and currently planning on just moving to AIOs since they've come a long way and get pretty good temps with the right configuration.

As for those on high FPI rads, I hope they got them screamers on otherwise they aren't utilizing their rad's full potential.

Thats hilarious....I feel exactly the same moving that 900D Case around! I built a little stand w wheel for it back years ago when I got it.
I have to my wife to help me lift it off the stand up and onto to my bench table when I work on it.
Though about changing it up with this Z690 build but in all honesty, its too darn easy to work in the case with that same Rad configuration as you (480 upstairs and a 360 / 240 down below).
With my D5 Vario set to 3100 RPM all of my Rad Fans (Noctuas) set to 1450 RPM my GPU idles right at room temp....
My rads are all set as intakes....the tower sits beside an large window, if I open the window in the winter (outside temp +8c), I'll see my 3080Ti idling at as low as 14c.(as cool as the room will get)...

But yes...the tower is a beast, but too easy to work in!!! Although now with no more SLi and me moving from an E-ATX Board to ATX Board it looks empty ;)
post edited by rjbarker - 2022/01/13 18:35:59

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 18:43:32 (permalink)
rjbarker

Thats hilarious....I feel exactly the same moving that 900D Case around! I built a little stand w wheel for it back years ago when I got it.
I have to my wife to help me lift it off the stand up and onto to my bench table when I work on it.
Though about changing it up with this Z690 build but in all honesty, its too darn easy to work in the case with that same Rad configuration as you (480 upstairs and a 360 / 240 down below).
With my D5 Vario set to 3100 RPM all of my Rad Fans (Noctuas) set to 1450 RPM my GPU idles right at room temp....
My rads are all set as intakes....the tower sits beside an large window, if I open the window in the winter (outside temp +8c), I'll see my 3080Ti idling at as low as 14c.(as cool as the room will get)...

But yes...the tower is a beast, but too easy to work in!!! Although now with no more SLi and me moving from an E-ATX Board to ATX Board it looks empty ;)

You're not wrong as they are very easy to work with and a pain to move around.  I've crammed mine with so many things in there.  I think I have 10+ fittings (mostly angled), 9 rad fans not incl. the case fans, a zoo of wires and all kinds of hubs behind the side panel, aquaero + accessories, x3 storage HDs, x3 Raptors in RAID0, x2 M2 SSDs, I mean the list goes on and on and my fingers hurt just typing all that out.  lol   

Running them all on intake is the best way for these particular cases because all the points are filtered with the big unfiltered rear for exhaust.  Works out well.  5.1 Deltas on idle currently as I type this out.  It doesn't move much even on load.  Just so much capacity and the system is on 24/7.

I'm looking to jump to a mid size case but hesitant a bit because of the room I'll have to work with but than again, I'm planning on offloading all of the things I'm used to having and simplifying it from top to bottom.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
ShawnB420
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 23:17:47 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
BiLLbOuS

Dual loops offer no benefits in temps
post edited by ShawnB420 - 2022/01/13 23:20:53
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/13 23:41:01 (permalink)
Only thing I would add is to try to avoid 90-degree angles in your loops. Sometimes, you have no choice, depending on work area available, but aim for it if you can. Do it as a last resort. If anything, try to use 2 x 45-degree angles, instead of a single 90-degree.
ShawnB420
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/14 02:32:17 (permalink)
An example of real overkill

https://imgur.com/a/TjQcfWY
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Want to build a system around 3080Ti Hydro Copper 2022/01/14 05:39:09 (permalink)
ShawnB420

Dual loops offer no benefits in temps

They do but it's mainly minimal and not for everyone.  Those who do it do it for show or getting every inch of cooler temps possible while only again, will be a minor improvement for benchmarking to get every point possible. 

collinscdj
Only thing I would add is to try to avoid 90-degree angles in your loops. Sometimes, you have no choice, depending on work area available, but aim for it if you can. Do it as a last resort. If anything, try to use 2 x 45-degree angles, instead of a single 90-degree.

I literally use 10+ angle fittings, granted I'm on dual D5s in serial in a already complex loop and still able to get 1.0 GPM.

Remember, 1.0-1.5 GPM is the sweet spot for a efficient operating loop.  

ShawnB420
An example of real overkill

https://imgur.com/a/TjQcfWY

That surely is.  I think that was created for epeen bragging rights.
post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2022/01/14 05:40:29

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile