Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort

Author
DarkAngel_ZERO
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 144
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2013/05/08 07:47:16 (permalink)
Hey, just thought I'd share my experiences with a rather particular setup, that's probably going to become more commonplace in the near future.

I recently picked up a TITAN, and decided along with it to change my desk layout, adding a secondary monitor via the DP 1.2 spec (which was just added in the 320.00 betas), and so far it's worked well when the computer is up and running, but it's when the computer is powered down that a problem exists.

See, DP still to this day has flaky support from the Green Team, and I'm starting to question how much of it might be related to the BIOS on the card, as a lot of the issues I've got with the TITAN were identical to the ones I ran into on my 690 (used in a HTPC). Every now and then, after a restart, the videocard "forgets" that a screen is attached via DP. The only solution to this is to disconnect the screen (or power down the monitor, as DP thinks this means you've DC'd it), which forces the videocard to redetect it...and if you've got a DP 1.2 setup like mine, that means shutting down both screens, starting them up one at a time, and resetting custom options. 

Now, to make matters even worse, if the system is running in UEFI mode, the videocard needs to support GOP to be able to use Windows 8's Secure Boot feature. Since I'm trying to be more conservative with my power consumption these days (meaning I don't really want to leave my system on 24/7 like I used to), and since Sleep Mode is still only stable for laptops and prebuilt PCs, having the ability to boot in <4 seconds from a system shutdown is great. While other GPUs need a GOP BIOS update, the TITAN comes preloaded with a Legacy and GOP compatible one...

...except the card doesn't know which one to pick at boot sometimes. After spending the weekend doing a full Windows 8 reinstall and a full mobo firmware upgrade/overhaul to get Secure Boot to be 100% compatible, I finally got some results: the BIOS boot screen scaled properly on my monitor -- which is a sign of UEFI GOP working -- and from Power Button to Windows was <4 seconds. However, after shutting the computer down and letting it sit overnight, I came back the following morning to a blank screen and the monitor being stuck in sleep mode at boot (even the keyboard becomes unresponsive at boot). This happened to me when I was experimenting with some of the UEFI settings while Win 8 was installed (before I reformatted everything), and meant that I needed to fully power down the computer and let it discharge completely before trying again. As far as I can tell, this is the only way to force the GOP BIOS to kick in on the TITAN.

I'm just wondering, has anyone else run into a similar issue? And if so, does anyone have any fixes?

14 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/08 10:12:31 (permalink)
    Dear DarkAngel_ZERO,

I can confirm that we do have these cards in use with Display Port monitors and we have never seen this behavior. I would have to recommend contacting the monitor manufacturer to see if they can help you narrow down the issue that you are having.

DarkAngel_ZERO
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/08 14:30:50 (permalink)
    Well, I'll shoot a message off to Dell (the displays are a U2913WM and U2311H), but the "display lost" behavior has occurred on a GTX 690 hooked to a TV/Home Theater via DP-to-HDMI (the receiver is a NR-717 and a Panasonic VT25), and a GTX 680 using both DP and HDMI outputs.

The issue is sporadic on the TITAN, but the GOP booting problem is a 50/50 occurrence.

The GTX 680 has a similar "lost display" when using HDMI as the primary output.

Is there a way to maybe force a certain connection to default as the primary? Could it be that the card is checking the DVI connection first and ignoring everything else if no display is connected?
    callofduty511
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/08 15:33:01 (permalink)
    If your motherboard is fully compatible (updated to the last BIOS generally for most models), then you have to fully disable the CSM or Compatibility Support Manager inside the options. As far as I know, this is the ONLY way that GOP is initialised correctly and fully on supporting systems.

Disabling the compatibility manager in your UEFI BIOS motherboard settings means it literally cannot interpret the legacy code and can only boot in a full UEFI state. Example, doing this on Windows 7 will result in the boot screen getting stuck as its EFI bootloader has no supporting GOP initialization code.

Side note, DisplayPort 1.2 has also been long supported by the drivers but they seem to list it in the changelog for every driver release, I've no idea why.

I'm running two Titans with inputs used on the first one only as DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort on Windows 8. The CSM is disabled. I'm encountering zero issues with that :) Besides unrelated annoyance at Nvidia's surround failings and lack of support... but that's another matter.
    post edited by callofduty511 - 2013/05/08 15:38:27
    DarkAngel_ZERO
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/08 18:02:34 (permalink)
    Yeah, I did completely disable the CSM on my BIOS (I've got a Sabertooth X79), which is what first made me aware of the UEFI GOP BIOS kerfluffle, but this glitch still happens every now and then. I thought at first it was related to the 650 Ti I've got as a dedicated PhysX card, but I did do the GOP BIOS update to that one as well, because without it, the computer refused to even post without the CSM activated. 

Do you think I should try clearing the Secure Boot keys and reload them?

EDIT: Okay, tried loading and unloading the keys. Didn't really change much. Though it seems to start up 50% of the time properly, the other 50% gives me a blank screen and the BOOT_DEVICE_LED is brighter than heck at startup when things go wrong. Maybe this is more of a mobo issue...it's an X79 board, which hasn't had the best track record with NVidia components as of late...

Hey callofduty511 and ChrisB...what motherboards are you using?
    post edited by DarkAngel_ZERO - 2013/05/08 18:20:36
    callofduty511
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/09 00:46:27 (permalink)
    Strange, it definitely can't be having trouble picking what driver to boot then with the CSM out of the equation. I do recall having an issue where my DP screen wasn't detected and enabled on boot, but I could fix that by going to the Nvidia CP and enabling just it without a full cycle...

I'm using an X79 as well, a Rampage IV Formula specifically (latest BIOS, make sure to do likewise if you haven't; the main things ASUS have listed as changes have been to do with a heap of Windows 8 compatibility for mine), secure boot off though as of now.
    mark0409mr01
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/09 03:50:16 (permalink)
    Your not alone with this issue! I have GTX680 02G-P4-2683-KR model updated to UEFI GOP BIOS, when I updated to the 320.00 drivers all sorts of problems started with my DELL U2410 connected via DP, no problems with DVI-D or when using 314.22 WHQL, made me suspicious when I saw in the notes for 320.00 "DP 1.2 support"

I have already logged a support ticket with the NVIDIA driver team about a week or so ago but not heard anything back yet.

I am using Windows 8 pro, UEFI install/secure boot, CSM disabled.
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V GENE Z77 Latest BIOS 1707, do I notice a trend here?, DELL monitors, Windows 8, UEFI GOP displayport, ASUS BIOS? I think there is something that needs to be looked into here.

I accept that we are probably in the minority of users using DP, Windows 8, UEFI GOP CSM disabled etc but it's obviously an issue nevertheless.

Thanks
    post edited by mark0409mr01 - 2013/05/09 04:02:19
    DarkAngel_ZERO
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/09 19:14:52 (permalink)
    callofduty511

Strange, it definitely can't be having trouble picking what driver to boot then with the CSM out of the equation. I do recall having an issue where my DP screen wasn't detected and enabled on boot, but I could fix that by going to the Nvidia CP and enabling just it without a full cycle...

As long as the computer continues the boot process and gets to Windows, which I can check by seeing if the numlock light can be toggled, I can usually get the monitor to be re-detected by shutting it off and turning it back on.

I'm using an X79 as well, a Rampage IV Formula specifically (latest BIOS, make sure to do likewise if you haven't; the main things ASUS have listed as changes have been to do with a heap of Windows 8 compatibility for mine), secure boot off though as of now.

Yep, latest BIOS, and even did a full manual firmware update to get the Intel MEI to v 8.1 and GbE to 1.5 just to see if that would help.

mark0409mr01 

Your not alone with this issue! I have GTX680 02G-P4-2683-KR model updated to UEFI GOP BIOS, when I updated to the 320.00 drivers all sorts of problems started with my DELL U2410 connected via DP, no problems with DVI-D or when using 314.22 WHQL, made me suspicious when I saw in the notes for 320.00 "DP 1.2 support" 

I have already logged a support ticket with the NVIDIA driver team about a week or so ago but not heard anything back yet. 

I am using Windows 8 pro, UEFI install/secure boot, CSM disabled. 
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V GENE Z77 Latest BIOS 1707, do I notice a trend here?, DELL monitors, Windows 8, UEFI GOP displayport, ASUS BIOS? I think there is something that needs to be looked into here. 

I accept that we are probably in the minority of users using DP, Windows 8, UEFI GOP CSM disabled etc but it's obviously an issue nevertheless. 

Thanks 

Hopefully something will be figured out soonish. I also noticed that DVI works 100% of the time, but DP and HDMI are more finicky. 

Oh, and one thing to check: I know with my U2913WM monitor, DP 1.2 spec had to be manually turned on. Dunno if it was finalized by the time the U2410 came out, but take a look in your menu.
    mark0409mr01
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/10 13:01:07 (permalink)
    Pretty sure the U2410 is DP 1.1 only, I cannot find anything in the menu related to enabling DP 1.2 I think this is only an option on late 2012/13 DELL monitors.

This was never an issue before the 320.00 driver which made me think its a NVIDIA issue, coupled with the mention of DP 1.2 support but given my monitor is DP 1.1 has something fundamental to DP changed in this driver revision? or is it a bug within the UEFI GOP BIOS or something to do with the monitors that causes the problem now a change has been made in the driver software...

Below are some pictures I took to show the issue, I also have a video I can upload to youtube.

post edited by mark0409mr01 - 2013/05/10 13:24:38
    DarkAngel_ZERO
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/14 19:00:53 (permalink)
    So, the whole system destabilized, and I had to re-install Windows, but it did help me make some discoveries.

First, removing the 650Ti results in a 100% screen initialization at boot. My guess is that the dual-BIOS properties of the TITAN were causing the conflict, with the 650 Ti starting with GOP, and the TITAN accidentally loading the standard vBIOS.

Second, DP seems to be more responsive, though now I have a new situation that occasionally happens at startup...the secondary monitor starts up first, and at the lowest resolution, but reverts back to normal after logging into Windows (sometimes).

Still, a more reliable boot is nice. Kinda a bummer that I have to ditch the 650 Ti...made for a nice PhysX card.
    vacaloca
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/05/15 06:52:03 (permalink)
    This is just an idea that has worked for me in the past -- I used to have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard that had weird issues (USB keyboard and/or integrated Ethernet wouldn't be detected at boot) after I put my PC to sleep and/or shut it down for a while. The solution turned out to be replacing the motherboard CMOS battery -- once it had a fresh new battery all the strange quirks went away. Can't say it will help in your case, but it's worth a shot (and it's cheap to replace), given the problems occur after being off.
    post edited by vacaloca - 2013/05/15 06:54:16
    xsajohn
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/06/13 20:58:45 (permalink)
    Same problem here. Started with latest 320 driver. EVGA Titan + Dell U3014 (Asus Max V Extreme). Works fine on DVI. DP boots up 50% of the time. Almost never, waking up from sleep. HDMI sound out now also sporadic - used to run 100%.

Driver update please!
    post edited by xsajohn - 2013/06/13 21:01:37
    jesseleite
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/06/13 22:41:12 (permalink)
    funny I had the same problem with my 580's, seems to have gone away after a system upgrade (got the Titan and a Rampage MB). cant tell you how many DVI to HDMI converts I bought as I thought I had a bad connection. good luck!

Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Rampage IV
    Intel I7-3930
    Koolance CPU-380I
    Titan Hydro Copper 
    Crucial M4 512 SSD
    Creative Sound Blaster ZXR
    Astro A-50
    Corsair 1200W
    G19 Keyboard 
    27" Asus PB @2560 X 1440
    27" HP @ 1920 X 1080

Chris_Waddle
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/06/14 07:00:20 (permalink)
    My problems with Display Port came from the fact that the Nvidia control panel selects the HD/SD 1920x1080 Native for me by defualt.

Once I changed the setting to PC 1920x1080 my DP issues cleared up. I also had the issue with the system saying no screen detected, then when it did it moved my icons all over the desktop.
    The worst problem I had was that no matter what I did it wouldn't let me select 120hz. Once I changed to PC from HD/SD it went straight into 120hz.
    DarkAngel_ZERO
    Superclocked Member
    Re:Titan, UEFI GOP, and DisplayPort 2013/06/25 12:58:45 (permalink)
    Well, the new drivers didn't work. Just tried the 320.49 on both computers, and while the TITAN equipped one seemed to take the driver update fine, my 680+650ti tower connected via DP just locked up on the uninstall/reinstall portion of the driver setup, and just tapping the front power button immediately shut the system down (which only happens on a complete failure).

'm wondering...does the way the drivers identify panels have any sort of priority? My DP 1.2 panel chains to a 1.1a panel, but frequenly, the 1.1a panel will engage, but the 1.2 panel will remain off...if it even starts. I've been forced to disable the 1.2 support just to install drivers...arg...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile