EVGA

Thermaltake Xaser VI SR-2 build

Author
crc454
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/07/17 20:40:32 (permalink)
Ok, I am starting a new thread to showcase my new Xaser build. I was doing this in compatible SR-2 chassis but was told that it might not be the place for that and should be in it's own thread, so here goes. I own 2 Thermaltake Xaser VI cases, one is my wife's computer and the other is mine. See below..... next came the job of selecting the components, being retired, cost is a big parts of my choices and thanks to Newegg it wasn't so painful...... Since my wife was getting my i7 950 and GTX 550Ti I decided to use her case for some fitting and measurements. I new I did not want to cut up my case so the only logical thing was to create standoffs to move the motherboard tray out about an inch, Then it was time to fit this mother to the tray being careful to drill and tap the new standoffs in there new positions, then fit the board, ain't that just the coolest thing ever It doesn't take long with a project like this and before I new it the board tray was almost ready.. the H60 was a snap to install on the rear wall of the tray for CPU 1 but the H60 install for CPU 0 was not so easy, fortunately, I have an artist friend who just happens to own a computer controlled plasma cutter and he made me the bracket shown in the next photo...... well thats all for now, more later. 

New installment.....
Second H60 installed to new bracket and as you can see, had to ditch HyperX memory cooling fans, just too tight and a close up of the bracket
post edited by crc454 - 2011/07/18 12:12:07

Attached Image(s)

2 Replies Related Threads

Gratuitous
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1109
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:Thermaltake Xaser VI SR-2 build 2011/07/17 23:32:16 (permalink)
    looking good so far! and the forum is happy as well

how do you like those memory coolers? I think i might pick up a set of those.
    post edited by Gratuitous - 2011/07/17 23:44:46

“I built a castle in the swamp and it sunk. I built a second castle and it sunk too. I built a third castle and it burned down and then sunk. But the fourth castle, Ahhhh! That one stood.”
    —Monty Python and the Holy Grail

crc454
    • Total Posts : 24
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:Thermaltake Xaser VI SR-2 build 2011/07/18 06:53:35 (permalink)
    I love them, they really work, and Amazon has them for just under 23 bucks. However, I can't use them for this build, water coolers get in the way, but no worries mate, 15 case fans should work fine. I have 2 of the coolers and one goes to the wife's computer and the other goes to my backup rig. I am also adding a fourth monitor for a matched set of HP HDMI 22" monitors.
    Working on the second psu mounting bracket today, just have to let the paint dry and mark and drill the mounting holes and the psu becomes a bolt in proposition. Last but not least comes wiring the fan controller, yuk.
    Ok, finished PSU bracket  mounted in case after paint dried,  Then mounted PSU  by the way, my artist friend can make all sorts of brackets with his plazma table for a very very good price, all he needs is a line drawing with demensions, and the drawing needs to be a .bmp no other will work unless you have autocad and can generate .DXF. Ok UPDATE!!

Scrap the second power supply, sometimes, no matter how hard you want something, it is NOT going to happen. Went with the Thermaltake 1200 alone and used a "Y" cable I got from frozencpu.com and it worked well it is kind of hard to see and part of it is under CPU 0's fans and rad. Got the board installed and wired up all the fans and Hot Damn everything worked but 2 of the fans, but after some trouble shooting, all is well. This pic is worth a thousand wordsyou got it buckaroos, 24 cores on the old widget. The fan controller is a bit bright  but since this is not one of those square boxes and has a fron door it keeps the lights under controll Well everything is working well, temps are between 30c for the board and around 45c or so depending on how hot it is outside for both processors, the PSU runs cool, also, Windows Ultimate is running great, did not have to reinstall the OS, just let it do a repair and then installed the EVGA drivers and everything was just ducky. I did not have to cut the case and only had to bend one small piece of metal, so I have to say that yes, the SR-2 does in fact fit into a Thermaltake Xaser VI case and does well after you are done.
    Thanks for reading this, the build was fun.
    post edited by crc454 - 2011/07/20 17:17:29

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile