EVGA

Temp probe to GPU?

Author
kindofabuzz
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/10 14:12:10 (permalink)
I want to install a temp probe so i can set one of my case fans to monitor GPU temps. My motherboard has the header for it so why not? Anyways, where would be the ideal place to put the end of the probe on the GPU (2080ti XC Ultra). And what would be the best way to hold it in place?

5 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Temp probe to GPU? 2019/12/10 14:21:04 (permalink)
    kindofabuzz
    I want to install a temp probe so i can set one of my case fans to monitor GPU temps. My motherboard has the header for it so why not? Anyways, where would be the ideal place to put the end of the probe on the GPU (2080ti XC Ultra). And what would be the best way to hold it in place?

Your motherboard has a header to monitor temps? What header are you talking about? Case fans do not monitor temps. Motherboards have temp sensors which can be used to control fan speeds or use the CPU temp to control fan speeds. Could you elaborate on what you  are trying to do?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

kindofabuzz
    • Total Posts : 62
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Temp probe to GPU? 2019/12/10 14:48:27 (permalink)
    Yes, my mb (Gigabye Aorus Master z390) has two Temp Sensor Headers to install temp probes. I want to set one of my fans to run by the temp of the GPU and not the CPU, that's the reason I asked for a good location to attach the probe.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Temp probe to GPU? 2019/12/10 20:26:27 (permalink)
    I would put it based on internal case air temps and not based on silicon unless you're willing to deal with the erratic up and down fan adjustments since silicon temps change instantly unless of course you can base that on a curve.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Temp probe to GPU? 2019/12/10 20:49:36 (permalink)
    I played around with the Corsair sensors and came to the conclusion that they are essentially worthless. All of the sensors that already come with products (such as a video card) are pretty much all that I need. Like GTXJackBauer said though, if you are going to use them, use them to monitor air temps were airflow is minimal. Essentially, you want to put them in the locations that have the hottest air temperatures. Bottom left hand corner is a typical hot air trap.
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Temp probe to GPU? 2019/12/11 02:34:50 (permalink)
    Well, it depends on situation.

Right now I am controlling some fans with gpu temp but because it is gpu pump and gpu rad fans (modded hybrid). Also I switched intake fans to look both cpu and gpu (and maybe even PCH) temps - but with huge hysteresis, so it will not react on some sort of temperature spikes. Monitoring air inside case is not working for me because there is very tiny difference between gpu at idle and gpu at 100% in "ambient" air temp. While on low rpm gpu can overheat very fast and easy.

So I placed thermal sensor under backplate above the gpu area. There is holes in backplate on both XC and FTW3:

You can try to place sensor under backplate above gpu using this holes. But you need to push sensor against pcb, it should not just hanging in the air near plate. So it must sit here tight and also this will protect sensor from pulling off hole.
    And of course you should not apply much strength because there is elements on pcb you don't want to be ripped off the plate.

Sensor placed that way heating up a bit slower than gpu, but it is actually good reference for fan control. If gpu temperature is consistent - gpu sensors shows 5C less temperature and it is not a huge difference. So if your gpu heat up to 70C - sensor will be at 65C.
    post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2019/12/11 05:42:25

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
    Stephen Fry
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile