SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102845
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2022/12/31 03:52:31 (permalink)
https://videocardz.com/newz/supermicro-next-gen-intel-w790-xeon-hedt-motherboard-pictured-up-close

More detailed photographs of SuperMicro’s W790 motherboard have just surfaced online. This is a follow-up to our story from last month, where we had shared a low-resolution photograph of the same motherboard. It looks like these next-gen Xeon/HEDT platforms are now shipping to distributors/retailers.

The SuperMicro X13SWA-TF is the next gen motherboard for LGA4677 processors codenamed Sapphire Rapids. Intel has not disclosed its plans for the Xeon Workstation/HEDT systems yet (apart from saying that they are close); however, a very extensive leak had place recently revealing two product series: Xeon W-3400 (112L) and Xeon W-2400 (64L). SuperMicro’s motherboard is compatible with the higher-end series which have a base power up to 350W.

The spec sheet that leaked alongside these photographs, confirm that X13SWA-TF will support up to 56 core from Intel Sapphire Rapids series. Up to 2TB of memory will also be supported as long as RDIMM 3DS memory is used. However, the board also supports up to 4800 MT/s transfer speed with all 8 memory channels occupied by one DIMM. Although there are not many PCIe Gen5 products available yet, this motherboard has 6 x16 slots just in case they are needed. Here, SuperMicro is clarifying that Xeon W-2400 (64L) series will only support 3 slots at full speed.

The X13SWA-TF is an E-ATX form factor motherboard powered by 24-pin and three 8-pin power connectors. It has a built-in audio chipset, USB and SATA connectors, so technically nothing prevents one from using it for a very high-end workstation system that could still play games.

This is going to be a really great high end workstation motherboard. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

8 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2022/12/31 05:45:46 (permalink)
    I am curious why server grade boards are being considered “HEDT”. Never once have I seen a consumer be like, “you know, I need a motherboard that doesn’t fit into any case I own for my desktop.” The “D” and HEDT is Desktop, and these aren’t that.
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11239
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2022/12/31 14:20:26 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    I am curious why server grade boards are being considered “HEDT”. Never once have I seen a consumer be like, “you know, I need a motherboard that doesn’t fit into any case I own for my desktop.” The “D” and HEDT is Desktop, and these aren’t that.

It’s an E-ATX board like most all EVGA Classified boards are. It should fit in a lot of medium cases and all full size cases.

Even my dual socket SuperMicro server boards fit in a full size case

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2022/12/31 15:14:02 (permalink)
    bill1024
    It’s an E-ATX board like most all EVGA Classified boards are. It should fit in a lot of medium cases and all full size cases.

Even my dual socket SuperMicro server boards fit in a full size case

Which case are you using and which motherboard? 

Like GamersNexus keeps saying, E-ATX doesn't actually make sense. Standard ATX is 9.6" x 12".  E-ATX as used means anything over 9.6" but most case manufacturers that I see have advertised E-ATX up to 11".  

The first time the classified boards were considered E-ATX was this generation, z690 and z790, prior to that they were all of their boards were ATX format or smaller, except for the Dark and HEDT format boards, and those boards were E-ATX up to 11".

EVGA Classified and most Dark (SR-3 being the one exception) boards are 10.895" x 12" E-ATX boards.  E-ATX means extended, but does NOT designate a size.  The SR-3 Dark and this board are E-ATX at 13"x12" The extra 2" of width would be covering some motherboard tray cable routing slots. It will fit in most Full Tower cases that have the extra supports to properly mount the end of the board, or it can be left unsupported, but it does not fit into a standard desktop case properly for 9" of users.  

Lets use my Caselabs TH10A as an example, because caselabs made massive cases (and will again since they are coming back under new ownership) and this is the X299 Dark mounted:

Now add an extra 2" to the motherboard, and it no longer fits properly in this massive case, it just covers all of the routing options, and means I would have to figure out how to run cables somewhere else.

The SuperMicro board is EEB format, at 13"x12" LianLi Even shows in their Odyssey X case that EEB boards fit, but completely block off any cable routing options, because the extra width is exactly where the "standard E-ATX" boards land at 11" or less. 

post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/12/31 15:16:40
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2023/01/01 05:29:48 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

Because real HEDT processors require the space for that many RAM slots, or that many PCIe slots. Not going to find those in the ATX form-factor, and X670 proved that. A lot of people weren't happy with its PCIe lane count.

Genoa chips come with 12-channel memory controllers, good luck fitting a Genoa-based threadripper into anything not E-ATX even if they do substantially reduce the IMC count.  To even try suggests they don't need HEDT in the first place, they might as well just buy a regular consumer part instead.

Have water, will cool. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2023/01/01 05:50:31 (permalink)
    TRX80 boards are SSI EEB, so which consumer cases support SSIEEB?

TRX40 board came in SSI CEB/ATX sizes, so they fit into standard cases as well.

Also, who ever suggested that there shouldn’t be HEDT boards? I’m still on x299 because I want HEDT. X299 came in ITX, so saying HEDT can’t be in a smaller form factor is just a little close minded. Manufacturers could do like EVGA has an rotate the socket to fit 12 channels of memory in a North/South format rather than East West, and reduce the total number of PCI brackets available and then it could fit in a “E-ATX up to 11” wide.

post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2023/01/01 06:09:52
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11239
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2023/01/01 07:43:55 (permalink)
    A search of Newegg show a bunch that support EEB EATX cases
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=case+eeb

I have phantech, RAIJINTEK and a newegg store brand case that fits large boards.

Now if I remember right it was the EVGA x79 that was EXL-ATX that had a real hard time with cases.
    It had so many slots only a few cases would work.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

gRaN-Ma
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2023/02/14 08:12:56 (permalink)
    Everybody needs a big case, for a big motherboard! Hopefully it is compatible with X13SWA-TF. 

post edited by gRaN-Ma - 2023/02/14 08:19:09
    oldfresh
    • Total Posts : 87
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: SuperMicro next-gen Intel W790 Xeon/HEDT motherboard pictured up close 2023/02/14 08:47:01 (permalink)
    server boards usually go into rackmounts, and I have never had any issues fitting any type of ATX or E-ATX board into a 4u Rackmount. You get above 10 systems and you start going vertical. Standard tower cases just don't work in data center scenarios. I'm still running 4x X299 in 2u builds, and there's plenty of space to even fit an E-ATX board in those 2u racks, where you start having issues is with the CPU cooler. If you're going to run a Noctua or a liquid AIO or custom loop, then you're going to need a 4u minimum. That's where tower type cases start to have some issues
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile