Helpful ReplyStarlancer

Author
ARCTIC_EAGLE
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5257
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
2012/01/15 19:51:49 (permalink)
Are there any graphics mods (improvements) for Starlancer? or stability mods, it hasn't' crashed yet but it used to crash every 1/2 second.

vcustomer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/16 08:25:03 (permalink)
starlancer is very old, the newer Freelancer has a large community following

ARCTIC_EAGLE
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/16 08:31:01 (permalink)
vcustomer

Indeed, I own both. Is there still a MP element to Freelancer? I guess I'll go looking for some mods, but I enjoyed Starlancer more.
Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
  • Total Posts : 2401
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/16 09:08:21 (permalink)
ARCTIC_EAGLE

vcustomer

Indeed, I own both. Is there still a MP element to Freelancer? I guess I'll go looking for some mods, but I enjoyed Starlancer more.

I have both as well. I believe I wrote a preview for game revolution ages ago right after a press event.

I actually enjoyed Freelancer more for its freedom. It was scaled way back from its lofty and ambitious target goals. But I still enjoyed what was left. I would get a mission to go apprehend or kill some dude out in space and bring his cargo back to my employer. I often killed the dude, seized the cargo and then would sell to which ever space station or planet that would pay top dollar for it, providing they were deficient in that particular commodity. Pissed off the employer but left me with more loot...sometimes. Sometimes it just left me with more enemies. Reputation and allegiances were a fickle and sensitive mistress.

There was a good deal to do. But the standard missions got a bit boring.

10900K | ROG Z490-Deluxe | 16Gb GSkillz.  3600MHz | EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3 | 34in AOC Ultrawide 144Hz Monitor @3440x1440  
Check us out at www.asetek.com
Read what we're doing at www.coolnation.com
vcustomer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/16 14:50:55 (permalink)
the Freelancer servers are long shut down, even though I saw the game up for sale recently in a bin
in this age of virtualization, I guess a server VM is not worth it?

ARCTIC_EAGLE
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/16 15:00:53 (permalink)
I'm not sure, I haven't explored Freelancer's MP options, I didn't enjoy the combat as much as in Starlancer. I may go look into the MP side of things and see if any of my friends want to play...
ARCTIC_EAGLE
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/16 16:55:38 (permalink)
I'll upload some game play of Starlancer for any of those who are interested
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/17 12:04:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I played Freelancers MP a year or two ago with some friends.  I actually liked the Discovery mod, it REALLY expanded the universe, both planet/systm wise, but also trade, ships and equipment.
Last I had checked, there were still servers up for it.  if nothign else, you can host your own open IP game and have your friends join, I have done it myself.  4 of us played once a week for a couple months like that, all on Discovery mod.

As for Starlancer, I haven't seen anything.  IIRC, gog.com has it as well, and I have rebought some games I had before from GOG because they have had mods done to them, and in general, are stable in modern OS's.
pagelm
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 831
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/17 12:38:16 (permalink)
I played the single-player of freelancer.  I believe I downloaded the discovery mod and one other, but I never bothered installing and playing them.

It was a relatively fun game, but once I had one of the super-heavy (whatever) ships with upgraded artifact (class 10 codenamed?) weapons coupled with the alien zero energy drain weapons, and went down to lower-right, I ran the top paying missions, but they weren't all that high paying nor were they challenging.  I've tried to go back and look for easter eggs, but some things were just too challenging for me (I guess if you defend your fellow renegade the first or second time you leave NY system and kill off the military ships, you get a superduper weapon...every time I tried I got slaughtered there though)
mlittrell
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1106
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/18 10:15:44 (permalink)
I stopped playing after the storyline ended because all the missions were the same... Even with the super powered rocket missiles, torpedoes, and all that fun stuff that meant you could kill the bad guys with no sweat, it still cost more in missiles than you actually received in payment!

A single torpedo was something like 10,000, whereas you might make $5000 on a mission you had to fire 4 torpedoes to achieve, and whatnot.

Things like that.

When I was your age, we rocket jumped all the way to school uphill, both ways... IN BOILING LAVA
Registering a product? Use my afilliate code! (CCLL4VSZ7X) 

BF3: weak console programming/input/interface, cloaked under PC graphics.
mlittrell
FTW Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/20 12:25:45 (permalink)
As a follow-up, I received a couple e-mails not long ago about Lancer's Reactor being back up (or remodeled?) so if you're interested it was the place to go for the mods and whatnot. For both 'Lancers.

When I was your age, we rocket jumped all the way to school uphill, both ways... IN BOILING LAVA

pagelm
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 831
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/20 12:56:51 (permalink)
I wish it (freelancer) had been more 3D.  It was basically just 2D with the ability to go off in the Z direction a little bit, but without anything to do there.  But I guess there's a limited number of things you can really accomplish with a normal mouse interface.

also, the weapons seemed to often magically find their target even if your mouse was a bit off, whereas the enemy lasers seemed to miss a fair amount without any evasive action (which the enemy didn't do a whole lot of themselves).  I wish there was a bit more equal footing, perhaps with fewer enemy ships though (during the storyline missions).  And despite a long-arching storyline, it was completely linear and the non-storyline missions not altogether varied.  It would have been nice to lose your wingmen from time to time, rather than have them invincible.  At the very least they should drop out of combat and just fly around or blow up but eject into a pod and magically be at your next point.  I also wish I could hit "esc" or space or enter to skip a cut-scene.

But the (non-cutscene) graphics were awesome, especially for the year, and I liked the gameplay overall.  I also liked the simplicity of tractoring vs the privateer system, although mid-combat tractoring to get more shields and hull seems a little unrealistic (the privateer repair system seemed "better", but was more time consuming - I'd often drift in space for 10 minutes or so just to repair my damage before landing so I wouldn't have to pay for the repairs or get jumped as soon as I launched again).

As to missions, I took it upon myself to sell most of my shields and nanobots from time to time, dump my cargo at the nearest base regardless of price every time, and just go off and blow stuff up and tractor the cargo and bots in.
DMIINC
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5929
  • Ribbons : 32
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/20 13:03:51 (permalink)
I would like to play some Starlancer again. Man, I loved that game.

burro1
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 618
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/20 18:28:04 (permalink)
I havent seen anything for Starlancer.
For Freelancer; moddb.com has many good mods. Go to the site and click mods section. Look for Freelancer in the "any games" dropdown menu.
I highly recommend "Crossfire". The visuals and mechanics are amazing for such an old game. Opr8r (owner of Crossfire) is an exceptional Freelancer modder and a legendary fighter in Starlancer.  A server clan named SMG are a great bunch of people. They have very very good pilots. If you want to learn to fight, SMG_Picard and SMG_Myric are masters.

post edited by burro1 - 2012/01/20 18:48:38

Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/21 12:52:25 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

I played Freelancers MP a year or two ago with some friends.  I actually liked the Discovery mod, it REALLY expanded the universe, both planet/systm wise, but also trade, ships and equipment.
Last I had checked, there were still servers up for it.  if nothign else, you can host your own open IP game and have your friends join, I have done it myself.  4 of us played once a week for a couple months like that, all on Discovery mod.

As for Starlancer, I haven't seen anything.  IIRC, gog.com has it as well, and I have rebought some games I had before from GOG because they have had mods done to them, and in general, are stable in modern OS's.

Thanks!! +1 I will have to check that out. I miss me some good space exploration. Hoping the incoming X-Rebirth is worth the wait. But me thinks it will be another single player affair.

post edited by Im Hit! - 2012/01/21 13:40:57

10900K | ROG Z490-Deluxe | 16Gb GSkillz.  3600MHz | EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3 | 34in AOC Ultrawide 144Hz Monitor @3440x1440  
xTemon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Ribbons : 6
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/21 23:44:00 (permalink)
Honestly, I'd like to see X-Rebirth, and I hope it's a lot better than Terran Conflict. Ordered TC from the UK pre-release, and was sadly disappointed.

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/22 10:10:25 (permalink)
I like X series, but Terran Conflict didnt have alot behind it unless you went through at least Reunion before.  I went all the way back to Beyond the Frontier, obviously VERY limitted graphics, but a great game. 
X series has a lot more empire building, Privateer was more about you being the loner in the middle of nothing, and in a generally hostile enviornment. 
I very much miss the space flight genre.  I didnt discover X until much later, and I missed Starlancer originally, due to funds at the time.  I miss the variety of Wingcommander, WC Privateer/RF, Tie Fighter, Freelancer, need to find Starlancer, but I really miss the whole genre.
I have been loving GOG.com for some of it, but I would love to see some new space flight games, give me a good single player/co-op cmapaign mode, then a multiplayer sandbox mode, and have koystick support as well as fully use my SLI, a space flight sm with some story and depth, but uses my hardware as well as a modern DX11 FPS game.
ARCTIC_EAGLE
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/22 13:42:07 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

I like X series, but Terran Conflict didnt have alot behind it unless you went through at least Reunion before.  I went all the way back to Beyond the Frontier, obviously VERY limitted graphics, but a great game. 
X series has a lot more empire building, Privateer was more about you being the loner in the middle of nothing, and in a generally hostile enviornment. 
I very much miss the space flight genre.  I didnt discover X until much later, and I missed Starlancer originally, due to funds at the time.  I miss the variety of Wingcommander, WC Privateer/RF, Tie Fighter, Freelancer, need to find Starlancer, but I really miss the whole genre.
I have been loving GOG.com for some of it, but I would love to see some new space flight games, give me a good single player/co-op cmapaign mode, then a multiplayer sandbox mode, and have koystick support as well as fully use my SLI, a space flight sm with some story and depth, but uses my hardware as well as a modern DX11 FPS game.

+3 billion
I would love to see more space combat games but it looks as though that genre is dead for now :( btw I would upload some Starlancer footage but it has weird white lines and no audio and doesn't play the cinematics
Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/22 18:06:46 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

Did you play Freespace 2?. Now that was a incredibly fun game. Really felt like a small fish in a massive sea. Match enemy pilot's speed, shift power from shields to weapons, lock-on pulse missiles and... Oh shist!! 3 enemy war-class frigates warping in your sector of space... Think you can get a repair drone called in and linked up to your ship before they lock on weapons???

Loved that one.

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/23 09:24:14 (permalink)
I haven't played it but I heard good things about it.  iirc gog.com has that one too. 
I lvoe vintage games, and play lots of them, however Orcs Must Die still has been grabbing my time recently.....
But in general, I just miss the Space Flight Sim as a genre.  I liked the competition between different designers, different types of games, from Descent to X, Wingcommander vs Lucas games and several others.  Heck, I think my first PC Space fligfht games that I owned (not played at a friends) was Line Wars/Line Wars 2.  So my interest goes back a long way.  I would just love to see the genre rebooted.... SLI/PhysX/Multi Core/DX11 and so on.
I will likely grab Freespace 2 if its on GOG, as I have heard others rave about it.
Was there an overall story mode to it, or was it basically a sandbox blastfest?
mlittrell
FTW Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/23 09:34:18 (permalink)
I was in love with the idea of the Wing Commander series... The fact they used live action and cast Mark Hammil didn't hurt none, either! However, I never got into it. My PC gaming was stunted for a while due to lack of actual PC to game on. By the time I actually had access to a PC that could run some basic games, it was past the time for WC4, even. So, I never got into them. I tried some many years later with a slo-mo emulator but the graphics were just too bad (having seen what more modern games could present, like TIE Fighter, etc), though I coudl see the appeal in general.

I waited for something similar to come along. WC:P was apparently not a very good successor to the storyline, and didn't feel like its predecessors. Then Starlancer was supposed to be the next to pick up that kind of gameplay.

I must say that, as an outsider with little gametime but much interest in the WC series, I thought Starlancer was the spiritual successor to Wing Commander after playing it through. It even shared some missions that made me think of the cheesy WC movie (but made me think of the few good scenes, rather than the bad parts). I really was hoping for a major reboot of the entire series. I was saddened when that did not happen.

Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/23 09:44:51 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

I haven't played it but I heard good things about it.  iirc gog.com has that one too. 
I lvoe vintage games, and play lots of them, however Orcs Must Die still has been grabbing my time recently.....
But in general, I just miss the Space Flight Sim as a genre.  I liked the competition between different designers, different types of games, from Descent to X, Wingcommander vs Lucas games and several others.  Heck, I think my first PC Space fligfht games that I owned (not played at a friends) was Line Wars/Line Wars 2.  So my interest goes back a long way.  I would just love to see the genre rebooted.... SLI/PhysX/Multi Core/DX11 and so on.
I will likely grab Freespace 2 if its on GOG, as I have heard others rave about it.
Was there an overall story mode to it, or was it basically a sandbox blastfest?

No there was a great story. It was huge multifaceted, twisting and complicated. What I liked is that it didn't put you as the main character to save the world. You were just one fighter pilot, trying to do what you could to help where you could. LAN multiplayer support too. I know they did several mods.

But it looks like the space genre is seeing a bit of a revival,  albeit more on the MMO side. Look for these...

Checkout Black Prophecy. Its free-2-play... I was watching the developer closely. They were developing this along the same time Jumpgate Evo was being dev'd.  Looks strong but I have not played. A ton of videos on youtube, though...

Also Futuremark briefly demoed, what looked like a space flight sim version of Shattered Horizon, or at least it looks to use the same engine. That could be really cool. Last I heard, they were still looking for a publisher. The space sim piece starts at :31 secs in...

And of course X-Rebirth. But no multiplayer there, I believe.

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/23 10:08:11 (permalink)
@ Mlittrel
Starlancer was supposed to be the successor, but didnt pan out, Freelancer was the successor to Privateer.  That was originally goin g to be Privateer 3, but there was a HUGE falling out between origin and Chris Roberts, alot of hubbub I dont want to get into, but in the end, 2 entities locking horns, and the fans are the losers.
WC1, WC2, WC3, Privateer are all available from www.gog.com and play beautifully.  The DOSBox ports are tuned to a more mid level current system, and their forums are VERY active, and they help out with tuning it to your comp with some settings.  WC4/5/Prophecy are the live action ones, WC1 was a late gen 286 game, WC2 was high end 386-low end 486 game.  Tie fighter was between WC2 and 3 in graphics.
Very dated but VERY fun.
One thing if you play them IMO you will like, is there are lose conditions, if you fail at somehting you end up somewhere else, not just "You have lost.  Replay?"  This is the mission break down, with 2-4 missions per area.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Wingcommander+mission+tree&um=1&hl=en&safe=active&sa=N&biw=1186&bih=801&tbm=isch&tbnid=4N6GDolLLzzBpM:&imgrefurl=http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php%3Fp%3D378563&docid=0vinsXj6ZuFqUM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/2715518/img/2715518.jpg&w=1500&h=1000&ei=fqAdT_nkFIyGiQLms5XcCA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=94&sig=104911665839223757843&page=1&tbnh=113&tbnw=169&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=71&ty=56

@Im Hit!
Thanks for the info on FreeSpace 2.  I think I will be grabbing it from GOG.com if they have it, I know they have the original, dont remember if they have the sequal. 
While an MMO can be cool, I love a single player story or a small scale campaign mode or even Sandbox.  Diablo2 was the perfect size for me, 8 player max, we can have several friends in, and and PW lock our game so it isnt just open to every yeller, sore loser and 12YO with a bad disposition.  But I will check out those games you mentioned.

@ Arctic _Eagle
Sorry, didnt try to thread highjack you, as this was about Starlancer  :/
ARCTIC_EAGLE
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/29 10:42:26 (permalink)
@Dave its cool, I learned stuff :)
So I just noticed Starlancer has Co-op (direct connection via IP) so if anyone's interested in some Co-Op post in this thread.
Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/29 10:52:14 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

@ Mlittrel
Starlancer was supposed to be the successor, but didnt pan out, Freelancer was the successor to Privateer.  That was originally goin g to be Privateer 3, but there was a HUGE falling out between origin and Chris Roberts, alot of hubbub I dont want to get into, but in the end, 2 entities locking horns, and the fans are the losers.
WC1, WC2, WC3, Privateer are all available from www.gog.com and play beautifully.  The DOSBox ports are tuned to a more mid level current system, and their forums are VERY active, and they help out with tuning it to your comp with some settings.  WC4/5/Prophecy are the live action ones, WC1 was a late gen 286 game, WC2 was high end 386-low end 486 game.  Tie fighter was between WC2 and 3 in graphics.
Very dated but VERY fun.
One thing if you play them IMO you will like, is there are lose conditions, if you fail at somehting you end up somewhere else, not just "You have lost.  Replay?"  This is the mission break down, with 2-4 missions per area.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Wingcommander+mission+tree&um=1&hl=en&safe=active&sa=N&biw=1186&bih=801&tbm=isch&tbnid=4N6GDolLLzzBpM:&imgrefurl=http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php%3Fp%3D378563&docid=0vinsXj6ZuFqUM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/2715518/img/2715518.jpg&w=1500&h=1000&ei=fqAdT_nkFIyGiQLms5XcCA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=94&sig=104911665839223757843&page=1&tbnh=113&tbnw=169&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=71&ty=56

All so very tragically true. To piggy back that... Here is a bit of ancient I wrote, on the byproduct of that debacle. http://www.gamerevolution...view/freelancer-update

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/29 11:13:36 (permalink)
@Arctic Eagle
Sounds good, but I dont even know where to go to find a copy anymore.  Id magine Amazon marketplace or Fleabay.  Or is it Abandonwear now that they have released for free DL?

@ Im Hit!
Yeah, the game was good, could have been better.  I loved that they broadened their controls, but I remember a quote from Chris Roberts about it and specifically not having joysick support "I didn't want it to have that wing Cmmander feel"  REALLY?!?!  That was what  the game was really missing.  I can muddle through a mouse config, but a mouse does not feel natural for for a flight sim.  I know he was the brains behind WC series, but corporate BS between higher ups is the best way to screw up a product, and as always, the consumer has to take the aftermath.  Very sad......
Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/29 11:37:46 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

@Arctic Eagle
Sounds good, but I dont even know where to go to find a copy anymore.  Id magine Amazon marketplace or Fleabay.  Or is it Abandonwear now that they have released for free DL?

@ Im Hit!
Yeah, the game was good, could have been better.  I loved that they broadened their controls, but I remember a quote from Chris Roberts about it and specifically not having joysick support "I didn't want it to have that wing Cmmander feel"  REALLY?!?!  That was what  the game was really missing.  I can muddle through a mouse config, but a mouse does not feel natural for for a flight sim.  I know he was the brains behind WC series, but corporate BS between higher ups is the best way to screw up a product, and as always, the consumer has to take the aftermath.  Very sad......

So very true.

ARCTIC_EAGLE
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/29 14:29:24 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB

@Arctic Eagle

http://www.amazon.com/Sta...76118&sr=8-1-spell
or
http://www.amazon.com/Sta...76118&sr=8-2-spell
I'm going to buy it again so my brother and I can play.
S2000Gan
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1423
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Starlancer 2012/01/31 06:46:14 (permalink)
I used to play discovery mod freelancer was alot of fun until my account got deleted because i went on a vacation and wasnt able to log on to keep the account from inactivity filtering

:'( RIP EVGA GPUs :'( 2009(9500 GT) - 2019(RTX 2070)
My Rig: CPU i7-9700K   Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Code   RAM 32GB G.Skill Trident Z
Graphics Card
EVGA GTX 2070   Power Supply Corsair RM850x 
Case Fractal Design Define R6   CPU Cooling XSPC Raystorm & 2x 240mm Radiators

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile