Standard Edition GameBall Gaming Trackball Finally Arrives

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102418
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2021/09/28 07:31:07 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/287223/standard-edition-gameball-gaming-trackball-finally-arrives

Not everyone likes using a mouse and a trackball can be a viable option, depending on your preference. However, most trackballs aren't suitable for gaming and a company called Blue Sun Innovations (BSI) set out to design a trackball to meet the demands of gamers. The product is simply called the GameBall and has been five years in the making. The company launched a limited edition back in June, but now BSI has launched what it refers to as the Standard Edition.

The GameBall features a PixArt sensor that supports resolutions from 400 to 3,00 DPI/CPI and it features button switches from Omron. As it's a trackball and won't be moved around the desk, BSI went for a wired design using a standard USB interface with a supported polling rate of up to 1,000 Hz. Other niceties include ceramic bearings, an "innovative touch scroll pad", six buttons and an ambidextrous design. As this is a gaming mouse, it does of course also feature some RGB lighting. The GameBall is compatible with all recent operating systems and can be ordered directly from GameBall's website for US$148.

It looks interesting and it's the first trackball gaming device I've seen. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

4 Replies Related Threads

JuanPotato
    • Total Posts : 100
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Standard Edition GameBall Gaming Trackball Finally Arrives 2021/09/28 20:31:00 (permalink)
    Never used a trackball, looks pretty neat.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10107
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Standard Edition GameBall Gaming Trackball Finally Arrives 2021/09/28 22:07:27 (permalink)
    It’s interesting but I wonder how fast dirt would build up on the ball and in turn the sensor. Still as long as it’s easy to clean I could say it would be worth it for those who don’t have a lot of desk space.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2021/09/28 22:08:31

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

way2faded
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3077
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Standard Edition GameBall Gaming Trackball Finally Arrives 2021/09/28 23:16:20 (permalink)
    I've ran a thumb mounted optical trackball for gaming since 2004. The Microsoft Optical Trackball, with red ball/socket. Though I am not anywhere near my prime in gaming, mainly play large MP FPS. Took a few months to get used to and get up to speed. But once I did, pretty much dominated everything I played. Played on prac squad/ b team for some pro squads back in Halo PC, BF2, FEAR Combat Era. Def one of main tools that got me to top of ladders,top 1%, speed run records, and got me in /leading or running some epic clans from the past. I have 2 in rotation and 2 NIB. Guy in Canada rebuilds and services them for me once a year. They all have upgraded ceramic bearings, upgraded button components, completely disassembled cleaned etc..

All that said. I have never been able to get into the central located Trackball like this. I have tried MS. Logitech and some other smaller brands. It it clunky feeling, and for some reason you will get wrist fatigue with it, vs the thumb mount you seem to be able to go on almost endlessly...once you get used to. I would love to try it out, but at $150....thats a bit steep. If they come out with a thumb mount, I would def give it a try. Def follow them to see how it goes, perhaps reach out to see if they have any plans to make a thumb ball.

evga1081
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Standard Edition GameBall Gaming Trackball Finally Arrives 2021/09/29 06:14:10 (permalink)
    Trackballs are incredibly comfortable but this trend of stupidly priced peripherals is a bridge too far.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile