EVGA

Software not up to standard!

Author
Huggable
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/02/15 12:33:14 (permalink)
Hello,So I decided to pick up the Z20 keyboard on Monday after my old keyboard failed. So the first thing that really annoys me is you have to run the Unleash RGB software or defaults back to rainbow puke....I should not have to run a piece of software for a very basic lighting on my keyboard if i knew that i had to run extra software just for backlighting id of picked another keyboard. 

Bugs I'm currently battling and is anyone else?

1 Basic backlighting not saving to the keyboard I have to run the software permanently or I get rainbow puke.
    2 I lose all setting if the software is closed
    3 I lose settings randomly and it deletes everything I set up and applied. I.e I have the TOF sensor disabled and applied, then randomly it will undo and reactivate the sensor…. I'm worried it's gonna end up shutting my computer off mid-work.
    4 If you apply a setting on one tab then switch tabs it loses the settings.I lose all settings after I restarted my computer. I think this is the same bug or fault as 2. 

I feel like this is unacceptable, the software needs fixing and whoever checks the work before gets released needs to be improved. 

Is there any plans to improve this software as I feel like I've been royally screwed and in 2 minds to return the keyboard. Happy gaming all,Dan
post edited by Huggable - 2022/02/15 12:44:44

13 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/15 16:08:50 (permalink)
    Custom lighting does require the software to be running in the background.
    All other settings such as TOF, key assignments, macros, etc etc are saved directly to the keyboard as long as you click apply with each change on each tab. 
    Switching from the lighting tab to the TOF tab will temporarily disable the lighting effects so that the TOF lighting can be applied. If you switch to a different tab or either close/minimize unleash on any other tab other than the TOF there shouldn't be any issues. 

mrwintr
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/15 18:30:30 (permalink)
    I have experienced about the same problem as Huggable....I actually can't figure out why settings aren't saved after hitting "Apply"? whast I really want to do is make all keys dark and choose the ones I want lighted, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.....Any help if that is possible would be greatly appreciated.
    Huggable
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/16 18:01:02 (permalink)
    I have removed unleash rgb including all leftover files linked to it, registry, folders so on and then re-installed the software. It works a bit better. My lighting now saves and tof sensor stays disable. However  the extra function keys randomly do not work / stay mapped and lose their mapping over time. Lets see how long this last before it breaks even more.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/16 20:54:56 (permalink)
    EVGA's software is consistently bad. Don't get me wrong; I am not capable of doing even a fraction of what EVGA's software contractors are capable of, but some day, if EVGA finds the right people, or spends the right amount of money, they could have a much, much, much better product across many product lines.
    I sympathize, and let's dream of better days.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Huggable
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/21 08:48:51 (permalink)
    next bug ontop of everything else i am battling with my z20

software freezes and all custom keys stop working and have to restart the software. this also happens as part of it but quit and start it again fixes the problem have to do this several times a day!

redteamgo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 798
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/21 17:00:42 (permalink)
    James, can you see if they can make custom Lighting Effects work with TOF?  The key layers are very cool but I want the key lighting to turn off when I'm not using it.

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
    GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
    MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
    PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
    Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
    NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
    Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
    Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
    lastsamurairick
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2419
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/22 06:21:37 (permalink)
    Well I just order Z20 keyboard will see when get's here.

Intel 10900k @ 3.7 Stock
      EVGA Z490 Dark 
      EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070Ti FTW3
      G SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL 32GB
      EVGA 1000G5
    redteamgo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 798
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/22 07:59:06 (permalink)
    mrwintr
    I have experienced about the same problem as Huggable....I actually can't figure out why settings aren't saved after hitting "Apply"? whast I really want to do is make all keys dark and choose the ones I want lighted, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.....Any help if that is possible would be greatly appreciated.

You can do this but not with TOF active

Goto light effects , then change to custom, make it so you only have 1 layer and click anywhere on the layout to deselect all of the keys. Then multi select with control which keys you want colored, select the effect, color, speed brightness. Save, add new layer and repeat if necessary.

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
    GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
    MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
    PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
    Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
    NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
    Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
    Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
    Intoxicus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/23 14:02:25 (permalink)
    EVGA_James
    Custom lighting does require the software to be running in the background.
    All other settings such as TOF, key assignments, macros, etc etc are saved directly to the keyboard as long as you click apply with each change on each tab. 
    Switching from the lighting tab to the TOF tab will temporarily disable the lighting effects so that the TOF lighting can be applied. If you switch to a different tab or either close/minimize unleash on any other tab other than the TOF there shouldn't be any issues. 

Custom Lighting does require UnleashRGB to be active. If that is not supposed to be the case then consider this thread to be a bug report.

There is a bug with saving settings. Settings will revert randomly, and simply refuse to save.
    Settings do not appear to be saving to the keyboard properly at all.
    If we could see what was saved to the keyboard it would help a lot...

TOF also seems to be bugged, and/or it is presented so unintuitively it's hard to know how exactly it is supposed to work and how the settings work exactly.

Overall Unleash RGB has a lot of bugs, limitations, and problems. 
    It is very mediocre compared to software from other brands. 

I really like this keyboard. But the software is simply not good.

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/02/23 16:02:07 (permalink)
    Huggable
    next bug ontop of everything else i am battling with my z20

software freezes and all custom keys stop working and have to restart the software. this also happens as part of it but quit and start it again fixes the problem have to do this several times a day!

Haven't been able to recreate this at all. I would suggest to try reinstalling everything but remove any files from appdata folder before reinstalling. Also are you running Windows 11?

redteamgo
    James, can you see if they can make custom Lighting Effects work with TOF?  The key layers are very cool but I want the key lighting to turn off when I'm not using it.

TOF does have an option to turn off the LED when you are away. 

I've been forwarding any and all issues to our software team to look into and they are planning to update Unleash once they are able to. 

Huggable
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/03/14 12:46:01 (permalink)
    So thank you evga! You know why? I've lot all my settings and lighting yet again lost count how many times! Sort it out! And stoping telling bs like in your reply that it's saved to the keyboard which it is not or I'd not lose my settings when I turn my computer on ..... I'm really sick if this bs

This part next for evga James

I had to in the end just for it to know my keyboard was attached and no I'm on window 10
    post edited by Huggable - 2022/03/14 12:50:52
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/03/14 13:27:23 (permalink)
    I would suggest testing this on a different system or different Windows installation to see if the issues occur. Other than you and the other person in this thread I have not had any reports from other users having their settings completely reset randomly. The only other time is when the firmware would need to be updated which will factory reset the device. I've tested several models of the Z20 and Z15 on both windows 11 and windows 10 and have not yet been able to recreate this issue. 

Worse comes to worse you can contact our support team for a warranty replacement as it could possibly be hardware related issue. 
    post edited by EVGA_James - 2022/03/14 13:28:27

Kbird666
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 150
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Software not up to standard! 2022/03/17 11:08:25 (permalink)
    I've had a few Issues with my Z15 and Z12 and Unleashed , ie not being recognised on computer bootup etc and at least some of it seems to be related to the microprocessor in the Keyboards needing the Power from a USB3 (Three) Port . My MOBO has 4 ports for Keyboards and Mice and I tried them all but all are USB2 it seems and didn't provide the power necessary ( or wake on boot properly? ) switching it out to a spare USB3 port has stopped a lot of that.

KB

GByte Z590 Aorus Elite AX MB + 11700K
    32GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3200mhz
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
    EVGA G6 850watt P.S.
    (3) 32" BenQ BL3200PT Monitors (CAD-WS)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile