EVGA

Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards

Author
Velcade
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/14 06:21:16 (permalink)
I have a Noctua industrialPCC-2000RPM PWM fan lying around and I was thinking about swapping it in place of the EVGA fan found on the radiator of the card.

I looked in the 'manual' for the card and it doesn't give any fan specs...  Does anyone know what fan EVGA currently uses for their radiators?

Thanks!

I emailed EVGA support and they were able to supply the answer to my questions.

Looks like I'll see a 43% increase in static pressure and a 15% decrease in noise when swapping the fan for a Noctua Industrial 2000RPM.

I'll make the swap this weekend and run some stress testing.  
post edited by Velcade - 2019/02/15 05:24:23

Attached Image(s)

Fractal Design Define R6 || 8700K @ 5.0Ghz || Celsius S36 || Maximus X Hero || Trident Z 32GB @ 3200MHz || EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 hybrid || Inland NVME 2TB || WD Gold 4GB || PRIME Ultra Titanium 850w || ASUS PG279Q x2

22 Replies Related Threads

sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 218
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 06:39:11 (permalink)
    Edit: NVM
    post edited by sn0warmy - 2019/02/14 07:14:50
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 07:08:44 (permalink)
    Are you asking about the fan on the radiator ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Velcade
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 07:24:22 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Are you asking about the fan on the radiator ?

Yes.  Sorry that was a little unclear.  I've looked on their site and the two fans they list under Cooling > Fans are not the same as the fan supplied with the hybrid card.  I am sure I'll see an improvement with the Noctua fan, however I'd like to compare the specs of each fan and see how the difference in air pressure translates to a difference in cooling potential. 

Fractal Design Define R6 || 8700K @ 5.0Ghz || Celsius S36 || Maximus X Hero || Trident Z 32GB @ 3200MHz || EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 hybrid || Inland NVME 2TB || WD Gold 4GB || PRIME Ultra Titanium 850w || ASUS PG279Q x2
    sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 07:45:07 (permalink)
    If you have a single spare fan I recommend adding the Noctua fan as a second fan in a push/pull configuration, rather than replacing the EVGA provided fan. When my 2080 Hybrid arrived, I immediately removed the stock EVGA fan and installed a ThermalTake Pure Plus 12 120mm radiator fan. Initial results showed an idle of around 36 Celsius with max temps getting up to around 64 Celsius after 1 hour of BF5 gameplay on Ultra settings, OCed at +110 clock and +800 memory. 

Then I installed a 2nd Thermaltake Pure Plus fan for a push/pull configuration and the card now idles around 30 Celsius (6C cooler) and never surpasses 56 Celsius (8C cooler), even with the same OC settings and over 2 straight hours of BF5 Ultra gameplay at 3440x1440 resolution. Once done gaming, it also drops GPU temps to idle much quicker than it did with a single fan. So notable difference all-around by simply adding a second fan to the mix.

Velcade
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 07:55:38 (permalink)
    sn0warmy
    Then I installed a 2nd Thermaltake Pure Plus fan for a push/pull configuration and the card now idles around 30 Celsius (6C cooler) and never surpasses 56 Celsius (8C cooler), even with the same OC settings and over 2 straight hours of BF5 Ultra gameplay at 3440x1440 resolution. Once done gaming, it also drops GPU temps to idle much quicker than it did with a single fan. So notable difference all-around by simply adding a second fan to the mix.

How are you controlling the two fans?  The single fan plugs into the graphics card.  Do you have one fan controlled by the GPU and the other by the motherboard?

sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 08:01:08 (permalink)
    Velcade
    How are you controlling the two fans?  The single fan plugs into the graphics card.  Do you have one fan controlled by the GPU and the other by the motherboard?

I have 3 Thermaltake fans (2 on radiator and 1 on top) hooked up to a single controller in the back of the case that controls the fan speeds and RGB lighting. The controller plugs directly into a USB on the motherboard and can control up to 6 fans. The power cable that comes out of the card and was used to manage the stock EVGA fan is just unplugged and velcro-d to one of the radiator lines. You can see it in my picture. 

If I could figure out how to remove the GPU shroud I'd tuck that unused power cable back inside the shroud. There is plenty of room for it to coil up in there.  
    AshWilliams1981
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 08:18:17 (permalink)
    sn0warmy
    If you have a single spare fan I recommend adding the Noctua fan as a second fan in a push/pull configuration, rather than replacing the EVGA provided fan. When my 2080 Hybrid arrived, I immediately removed the stock EVGA fan and installed a ThermalTake Pure Plus 12 120mm radiator fan. Initial results showed an idle of around 36 Celsius with max temps getting up to around 64 Celsius after 1 hour of BF5 gameplay on Ultra settings, OCed at +110 clock and +800 memory. 

Were you able to get that overclock before making the changes to the fans? I just got my FTW3 Hybrid card and can't get it past +70. Memory on the other hand is fine at +1000. Was thinking about exchanging the card to see if I have better luck.
    sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 08:35:03 (permalink)
    AshWilliams1981
    Were you able to get that overclock before making the changes to the fans? I just got my FTW3 Hybrid card and can't get it past +70. Memory on the other hand is fine at +1000. Was thinking about exchanging the card to see if I have better luck.

Those overclocks were initially achieved with the single fan setup. Even on the single fan and the relatively high overclock, temps never exceeded 64 Celsius. The second fan only helped improve that already cool GPU temp further.

What are your max GPU temps when testing? 

Every single card is going to be different in its overclocking capabilities, temps obviously play a major factor. I've now had a 2080 XC Ultra, 2080 ti Black and 2080 FTW3 Hybrid. What I've found in my testing of all 3 cards is that as soon as you creep past 70 Celsius, they start their initial throttling and begin to drop clocks in order to remain stable. I'd say for top performance you really want the card to remain under 68 Celsius under max load for sustained periods.

The 2080 ti Black was the worst of the 3 with cooling. Even in bone stock settings it was reaching over 80 Celsius and throttling itself to levels of performance that made it notably worse than my 2080 Hybrid in the exact same games and game settings (10-15fps lower, in fact). The 2080 ti black would get hot so quickly that I could never get a stable OC of even +7 on the core clock. That card lasted just a few hours in my computer and is still sitting in it's box, ready to go back to Microcenter when I get around to making a trip back there.
    post edited by sn0warmy - 2019/02/14 08:39:01
    AshWilliams1981
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 08:41:08 (permalink)
    sn0warmy
    AshWilliams1981

Those overclocks were initially achieved with the single fan setup. Even on the single fan and the relatively high overclock, temps never exceeded 64 Celsius. The second fan only helped improve that already cool GPU temp further.

What are your max GPU temps when testing? 

Every single card is going to be different in its overclocking capabilities, temps obviously play a major factor. I've now had a 2080 XC Ultra, 2080 ti Black and 2080 FTW3 Hybrid. What I've found in my testing of all 3 cards is that as soon as you creep past 70 Celsius, they start their initial throttling and begin to drop clocks in order to remain stable. I'd say for top performance you really want the card to remain under 68 Celsius under max load for sustained periods.

The 2080 ti Black was the worst of the 3 with cooling. Even in bone stock settings it was reaching over 80 Celsius and throttling itself to levels of performance that made it notably worse than my 2080 Hybrid in the exact games and game settings (10-15fps lower, in fact). The 2080 ti black would get hot so quickly that I could never get a stable OC of even +7 on the core clock. That card lasted just a few hours in my computer and is still sitting in it's box, ready to go back to Microcenter when I get around to making a trip back there.

When testing the high temp I was seeing was 67-69. Which is kind of shocking to me because before this card I tried the 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra and with that I believe my temps were lower and easily surpassed the overclock I'm seeing now without messing with voltage. Only reason I swapped to the Hybrid FTW was due to the sag on the Ultra card. (Things like that drive me crazy and it seemed to be getting worse.)
    sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 08:50:41 (permalink)
    AshWilliams1981

When testing the high temp I was seeing was 67-69. Which is kind of shocking to me because before this card I tried the 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra and with that I believe my temps were lower and easily surpassed the overclock I'm seeing now without messing with voltage. Only reason I swapped to the Hybrid FTW was due to the sag on the Ultra card. (Things like that drive me crazy and it seemed to be getting worse.)

Yeah, that's high. How is your radiator mounted in the case and is the fan oriented to pull air from inside the case, through the radiator and out of the case? If not, that's the first thing I'd change to lower temps. And, for the record, the EVGA Hybrid radiator/fan configuration is setup this way out of the box. So if you didn't change the radiator fan you likely are already setup this way. If it is already setup in this fashion, you may want to give push/pull configuration a try and see if it helps you. It made a pretty drastic difference for me. 

post edited by sn0warmy - 2019/02/14 08:52:54
    AshWilliams1981
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 08:57:49 (permalink)
    sn0warmy
    AshWilliams1981

Yeah, that's high. How is your radiator mounted in the case and is the fan oriented to pull air from inside the case, through the radiator and out of the case? If not, that's the first thing I'd change to lower temps. And, for the record, the EVGA Hybrid radiator/fan configuration is setup this way out of the box. So if you didn't change the radiator fan you likely are already setup this way. If it is already setup in this fashion, you may want to give push/pull configuration a try and see if it helps you.

The radiator is mounted on the top of the case all the way up front with the the fan pushing air through the radiator and out the top of the case. I've just made a slight change to the fan curve instead of hitting 100% on both fans at 50 degrees I changed it to hit 100% at 40 degrees. After running Heaven for the past two minutes I'm sitting at 61-62 degrees with the high at one point hitting 67. And when idle the card sits around 28 degrees. I'm going to try lowering the voltage a bit to see if I can still sustain the overclock and drop the temp a tad. 
    sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 09:26:46 (permalink)
    AshWilliams1981
    The radiator is mounted on the top of the case all the way up front with the the fan pushing air through the radiator and out the top of the case. I've just made a slight change to the fan curve instead of hitting 100% on both fans at 50 degrees I changed it to hit 100% at 40 degrees. After running Heaven for the past two minutes I'm sitting at 61-62 degrees with the high at one point hitting 67. And when idle the card sits around 28 degrees. I'm going to try lowering the voltage a bit to see if I can still sustain the overclock and drop the temp a tad. 

Yep, the orientation is correct and those temps sound much better. I'd mess with memory first. Dropping that down to 800 or 700 will likely help considerably with temps. I've seen and increase upwards of 4 Celsius with a +200 memory overclock shift. I'm sure if I was at +1000 memory my temps would be in the 60's as well.  
    AshWilliams1981
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/14 09:27:38 (permalink)
    sn0warmy
    AshWilliams1981

Yep, the orientation is correct and those temps sound much better. I'd mess with memory first. Dropping that down to 800 or 700 will likely help considerably with temps. I've seen and increase upwards of 4 Celsius with a +200 memory overclock shift. I'm sure if I was at +1000 memory my temps would be in the 60's as well.  

I will give that a try as well. Appreciate it.
    Zaf9670
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/21 14:54:05 (permalink)
    sn0warmy

The problem with those Thermaltake fans is that they have worse performance. Static pressure is needed for radiators. I would expect two weaker fans to do better than one strong fan but if what you said is true then you broke that theory first try.

The Noctua fans he mentioned have a quieter sound at max and higher airflow + static pressure. So installing dual Noctua should result in the best possible performance if you go by the spec sheets alone.
    sn0warmy
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/02/21 15:05:15 (permalink)
    Zaf9670
    The problem with those Thermaltake fans is that they have worse performance. Static pressure is needed for radiators. I would expect two weaker fans to do better than one strong fan but if what you said is true then you broke that theory first try.

The Noctua fans he mentioned have a quieter sound at max and higher airflow + static pressure. So installing dual Noctua should result in the best possible performance if you go by the spec sheets alone.

Not necessarily. I removed the stock EVGA fan before even trying it. While those Thermaltake fans work fine and look great, it is very possible that 2 EVGA fans in a push/pull would have been better. 

pabloversace
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/04/28 13:42:31 (permalink)
    i just bought the EVGA 2080 ti ftw hybrid and i have 2 noctua NF-F12 chromax . i want to do a push pull on the radiator with those fans. do i have to get a powered fan hub and plug that into the gpu , or can i get a y splitter and plug both the fans into the gpu fan header . and does the fan header on the gpu supply enough power to have both fans going. im just worried about the gpu fan header not being able to power both fans and possibly burning out
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/04/28 13:53:04 (permalink)
    pabloversace
    i just bought the EVGA 2080 ti ftw hybrid and i have 2 noctua NF-F12 chromax . i want to do a push pull on the radiator with those fans. do i have to get a powered fan hub and plug that into the gpu , or can i get a y splitter and plug both the fans into the gpu fan header . and does the fan header on the gpu supply enough power to have both fans going. im just worried about the gpu fan header not being able to power both fans and possibly burning out

Welcome to the Forum
    Total 1.2A or 14.4 W @ +12V for Fan.
    But you also have a Fan Header on your Graphics Card you can use.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/04/28 14:01:24

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

pabloversace
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/04/28 19:57:56 (permalink)
    wait so will i be fine with plugging both fans into a y splitter and plugging that directly into the gpu? andit will supply enough power to both of them?
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/04/29 08:57:47 (permalink)
    pabloversace
    wait so will i be fine with plugging both fans into a y splitter and plugging that directly into the gpu? andit will supply enough power to both of them?

That is the Rating of the Fans you are Going to use?
    You cannot go above Total 1.2A or 14.4 W @ +12V for Fan. and Myself I would not go above 1A or 12 Watts @12VDC

https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm-chromax-black-swap/specification
    Max. input power 0.6 W
    Max. input current 0.05 A 

EVGA Fans are 0.20A 
    .40 Total.
    .10 Total.

Make sure you use the Correct Y-Adaptor, but you do not need
    You Do Not want use all 3-Ware or only all 4-Wire Adaptors.
    You only have One 2-Pin Connector to manage the fans so you cannot set each fan, one setting for all the fans.
    Hard to tell from EVGA Photos so I have to ask is the Fan Cable a 2 Pin or a 3 or 4 Pin Connector?
    On the 1080 They are only 2 Pin. But the newer Hybrids can now be managed by PX1.

It almost looks like a 4-Pin Connector

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/04/29 09:19:57

Attached Image(s)

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/04/29 09:04:33 (permalink)
    Mine will have 4 corsair sp120 fans plugged into the fan header on the motherboard and set to 100%.

That will hold me till the copper block.. hopefully.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/04/29 09:07:36 (permalink)
    DP
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/04/29 09:15:53

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Replacing the fan on the 2080ti Hybrid cards 2019/05/01 12:55:24 (permalink)
    pabloversace

I would get a hold of EVGA's Tech support and see what the specs are on that header.  Most MB fan headers usually have a 1 Amp limit but not sure if the same can be said about the header on the GPU's PCB but it's always worth finding out so you don't damage the header.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile