EVGA

Helpful ReplyRTX 2060 temperature very high on load

Author
eBombzor
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/08/03 15:15:43 (permalink)
My card (arrived 2 days ago): https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2060-kr/p/N82E16814487435

For context my system is:
  • Fractal R4 w/ 3 case fans (1 front pointing at the GPU, 1 bottom pulling air towards the GPU, and 1 rear pulling air out of the case. I also opened the side fan opening so that there is more air flow around the GPU.
  • i5-3470 w/ Hyper Evo cooler
  • Antec 650w Gold-rated PSU - pulling air from the bottom of the case
30 min playing Dishonored 2 and I get temps up to 81-83 C, even on 100% fan speed at ~25-26 C room temp. It may even go higher if it weren't for the card throttling at this range. This happens on any GPU intensive game not just Dishonored 2.

The only review in English I could find that had temps was this: https://www.legitreviews.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-xc-gaming-video-card-review_210602/7

They recorded a high of 71 C so something is definitely wrong with my card. I want to open it up and replace the TIM and see if that fixes it but there is a "void warranty if removed" sticker blocking some screws :(

(Idle temps seem to be normal though: hovering 31-35 C)

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Found this review as well confirming a high of 71 C https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-DXzX8CAUI
post edited by eBombzor - 2019/08/03 15:29:50
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/03 15:44:04 (permalink)
That does seem a little bit high but with a single fan cooler even at max fan speeds i don't think its to far out of line, do you have it overclocked? What Resolution are you running on the monitor and what video settings in your game?

bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10324
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/03 15:46:34 (permalink)
Are there a bunch of drive bays in front of your front intake fan?  If so, remove all you can.  If not, 1 front fan isn't much fresh air coming in.  Keep in mind also that the reviews you're looking at are being tested on open air test benches.

I'm not sure what you meant by "I opened the side fan opening".  Does that mean you took the side cover/door off to test?  If not, try that and aim a box fan or oscilating fan right at the GPU.  If you run noticeably cooler, you know you have an air flow issue in your case.

As far as applying new TIM.  You are free to do so without voiding the warranty as long as you do know physical damage to the card.

Is this your case? > https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811352021

post edited by bdary - 2019/08/03 15:49:20

eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/03 15:53:25 (permalink)
dwexpress
That does seem a little bit high but with a single fan cooler even at max fan speeds i don't think its to far out of line, do you have it overclocked? What Resolution are you running on the monitor and what video settings in your game?

No overclock whatsoever other than the default Boost thing that's built in to all Nvidia cards.

1080p, 144hz, All maxed in Dishonored 2.
bdary
Are there a bunch of drive bays in front of your front intake fan?  If so, remove all you can.  If not, 1 front fan isn't much fresh air coming in.  Keep in mind also that the reviews you're looking at are being tested on open air test benches.

I'm not sure what you meant by "I opened the side fan opening".  Does that mean you took the side cover/door off to test?  If not, try that and aim a box fan or oscilating fan right at the GPU.  If you run noticeably cooler, you know you have an air flow issue in your case.

As far as applying new TIM.  You are free to do so without voiding the warranty as long as you do know physical damage to the card.

Not quite, it's this one: https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl

I made sure to orient the drive bays so that they don't block the fans.

I doubt a big case like mine would cause such issues but I'll do a benchmark with the entire side panel off and see what happens. I don't expect much improvement because I really perfected the air flow in my system.
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/03 16:00:07 (permalink)
eBombzor
dwexpress

No overclock whatsoever other than the default Boost thing that's built in to all Nvidia cards.

bdary

Not quite, it's this one: https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl

I doubt a big case like mine would cause such issues but I'll do a benchmark with the entire side panel off and see what happens. I don't expect much improvement because I really perfected the air flow in my system.

Also take your settings to like medium in your game and see if that makes a difference, thats a lot of work for a 2060 really, a dual fan card might of handled the temps better.

eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/03 17:47:07 (permalink)
dwexpress
eBombzor
dwexpress

bdary

Also take your settings to like medium in your game and see if that makes a difference, thats a lot of work for a 2060 really, a dual fan card might of handled the temps better.

Of course lessening the load reduces temps but I mean I didn't buy a 2060 to play medium settings on 1080p.

Also once again it goes up to 81 even with the side panel off. Don't know what else I could do.
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/03 17:52:56 (permalink)
eBombzor
dwexpress
eBombzor
dwexpress

bdary

Of course lessening the load reduces temps but I mean I didn't buy a 2060 to play medium settings on 1080p.

Also once again it goes up to 81 even with the side panel off. Don't know what else I could do.

I didn't say you bought it to play games at medium, your trying to figure out whats causing the heat issue, the only way to do it is to take some load off of the card to find out if its air problem or the card just can't handle what you want with a single fan cooling it.

eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/03 22:37:57 (permalink)
I see. Well any how I just sent EVGA an email to see what I could try to fix this.
Mapleine
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/04 20:12:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby eBombzor 2019/08/05 22:05:35
I have the 2060 SC Gaming, so basically the same card tuned a tiny bit higher. 

My GPU runs at 72-76 under average conditions. This is in a fully equipped RL06, which is regarded as one of the best cases on the market for GPU thermals. This thing is a mesh wind turbine and I don't mind fan noise so I have this sucker foregoing PWM and just running 100%. However If I toss it in another build with a less specialized case, it can easily go into the 80s even in a room I wouldn't begin to call warm (I live in the Pacific Northwest...). Its just how the card is, the heatsink is thick but it's a cheap make and the single fan and short board length can't keep up. Also, if you have a smaller or cramped case this thing is just going to spew hot air out the sides and choke the intake. 

I wouldn't trust any site who told me they saw peak thermals of 71c on this card at stock config under an average setting. I've seen that, and a little better even, but only in a rigged case and when the windows were open and it was frigid outside in the early morning, I mean heck my Ryzen+ on a stock cooler was idling at 22c, that's how cold my room was. The only other person I know with a card in this line has it in a Meshify case and commonly gets it at 78-80c under full load in average gaming use.

I've always had good times with EVGA products but this line is just iffy, IMO. Between the mediocre thermals and the power throttling I'm extremely unimpressed. This is def a contender for one of the worst GPU's I've had in 20 years, I'd be upset if it wasn't on a sale with extra incentives added. I think I am more disappointed than anything when my last 4 cards have been EVGA and I had a 1060 of the same make, SC Gaming, single fan, and it was a wonderful card. Copper heavy heatsink, ran cool, offered plenty of power and extra for tweaking.

Here both the thermals are mediocre and the card throttles 150-200 mhz under heavy loads due to power starvation. I'm not about to turn on EVGA, still a great brand, but it sucks that I'll have to play it more "buyer beware" in the future. 

post edited by Mapleine - 2019/08/04 20:46:18
eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/04 22:44:40 (permalink)
Yeah you're probably right. The temps just threw me off because I was getting better temps on my 780 Ti stock cooler which was a pretty awful cooler.
Imma see if I can remove the shroud and the fan without breaking anything and just strapping on a spare 140mm fan I got to the heatsink to see if that fixes it.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 01:14:45 (permalink)
Didn't realize how toasty and power hungry things got for the lower RTX lineup.  It's crazy really but they do pack a punch.  

I'd probably venture to see if the Kraken G12 bracket is compatible on the RTX 2060s with your own NZXT/Corsair AIO (Check compatibility).  That should cool it off right away.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 14:07:20 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Didn't realize how toasty and power hungry things got for the lower RTX lineup.  It's crazy really but they do pack a punch.  

I'd probably venture to see if the Kraken G12 bracket is compatible on the RTX 2060s with your own NZXT/Corsair AIO (Check compatibility).  That should cool it off right away.

Oh definitely. I used to use richie's bracket from Overclock.net to strap my H80i onto my previous 780 Ti and got max temps of 59-60 C. But that was a while ago and I just want a good air cooling solution cause it's a lot less work.

Anyways I got some relatively good quality zip ties from Home Depot which are rated for 85 C so I'll be spending my afternoon doing this and update you guys on the progress.
eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 16:04:45 (permalink)
Well f me there are 3 screws that are nearly impossible to get to without breaking the shroud. They are behind the EVGA 2060 logo on the side of the shroud facing the side of the PC and it's not possible to get to it without ripping it off somehow. I tried a flat head screw but it's on there good.

Well I guess I'll have to live with bad temps and loud fans.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 16:20:56 (permalink)
eBombzor
Well f me there are 3 screws that are nearly impossible to get to without breaking the shroud. They are behind the EVGA 2060 logo on the side of the shroud facing the side of the PC and it's not possible to get to it without ripping it off somehow. I tried a flat head screw but it's on there good.

Can't take the cooler off?  Should be able to no problem.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 17:22:25 (permalink)
re-TIM the thing with a great paste...

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 20:01:40 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
eBombzor

Well tell me how you would take this part off without breaking anything:

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 21:48:14 (permalink)
eBombzor
GTXJackBauer
eBombzor

Well tell me how you would take this part off without breaking anything:

To take a air cooler off your GPU, you usually take the back and I/O side screws off.  Any other screw could be the assembly of the air cooler itself.  I'd leave those alone unless you're trying to modify or take apart the air cooler.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 22:00:54 (permalink)
I just want to take apart the shroud of the air cooler, not the entire heatsink. I am trying to do something similar as shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQHAMz1v5g
eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/05 23:28:33 (permalink)
Replaced the TIM with some GC extreme. Like I expected it didn't do much. Temps have gone down 2 C on average but nothing to note.

But look at the default paste install

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/06 06:19:30 (permalink)
eBombzorNot quite, it's this one: https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl

I'm not super thrilled with the case side fan blowing directly on the top of the video card where the air should be exhausting.
eBombzor
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/06 10:46:49 (permalink)
kevinc313
eBombzorNot quite, it's this one: https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r4-black-pearl

I'm not super thrilled with the case side fan blowing directly on the top of the video card where the air should be exhausting.

There is no fan on the side. I tried doing intake (worse temps) and exhaust but it didn't help at all so I left it open.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/06 12:16:05 (permalink)
eBombzor
kevinc313

There is no fan on the side. I tried doing intake (worse temps) and exhaust but it didn't help at all so I left it open.

OK good.  Try configuring all your case fans to intake, vent out the back by the gpu.
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/06 12:32:56 (permalink)
The GPU has no Rear Venting
Only up and down inside the Case.
Front of Case Intake and Rear of Case Exhaust as well as the Top of the Case Fans set as Exhaust.

You can add a Second Fan in the Front of your Case.

And Two Fans on Top

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/08/06 12:37:16

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: RTX 2060 temperature very high on load 2019/08/06 12:45:58 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
The GPU has no Rear Venting
Only up and down inside the Case.
Front of Case Intake and Rear of Case Exhaust as well as the Top of the Case Fans set as Exhaust.

You can add a Second Fan in the Front of your Case.

And Two Fans on Top

OK...

Cooling system

• Front: 1 - 120/140mm fan (included is a hydraulic bearing 140mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed; 1 - 120/140mm fan (not included)
  • Rear: 1 - 120/140mm fan (included is a hydraulic bearing 140mm Silent Series R2 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
  • Top: 2 - 120/140mm fans (not included) - positions also support some models of 240 radiators, depending on configuration
  • Bottom: 1 - 120/140mm fan (not included)
  • Side: 1 - 120/140mm fan (not included)
  • Fan controller: 1 - Integrated fan controller for up to 3 fans (included)

Move your rear fan to the front, so you have two intake fans.  Remove your PCIE slot covers from the back of the case from around the GPU.  Seal the vents on the top of the case, leave back vent open.  Make sure your CPU cooler is oriented front to back.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile