Questions about issues with board posting

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18114
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2021/04/24 19:45:08 (permalink)

Maybe someone has some ideas with this; I'm trying to help a guy out that I sold a motherboard to (ASUS ROG Strix Z390-i). I tested it all just before I sent it and everything was functioning and I was able to post repeatedly without issue. Fully functioning mobo, no problems at all.

He received the board, set it up on an open bench to test it and it posted no problems. Great. He then installed it in a case and is getting dram led error. The memory (2 sticks) works ok on his old rig still. He tried one stick at a time and still the same problem. He then pulled the board out and set it up again as an open test bench like he did the first time and now it won't post there either (dram error).

He doesn't have other memory available, but again, the memory still works fine when he switches it back to his old rig. It's 3200MHz ram so it shouldn't be having any issues like one might expect with super high factory clocked ram.

I have suggested using compressed air on the dimm slots in case there's some dirt/dust in there, and reset CMOS, and check the sticks themselves are clean (but they still work on his old rig), which presumably he is doing right now. I've also suggested checking the 8 and 24 pin power cables are connected properly at both the motherboard and the PSU.

Assuming none of those things resolve the issue, anyone got any ideas? It sounds like maybe it wasn't grounded properly when installed in the case, or perhaps static build up damaged something, but that's pretty rare. Just strange that there was no problem posting for me at all, and also no problem posting for him until after he installed it in a case... and the memory still works ok in his old rig.

UPDATE:

Ok this is bizarre. He just wrote and said he started cleaning out the dimm slots and saw there was a loose resistor sitting there (see photo). After removing it, he was able to seat the ram in there properly but still has a dram error (apparently the memory didn't sit properly after installing the mobo in the case). No idea where the hell that came from, but clearly it wasn't there when I had the mobo or when he set it up first time as an open test bench, but somehow got in there when he was installing the motherboard in a case. Anyone know where that might have come from? I don't know if he had some accident installing it but something's not right. I've asked him to try with just one stick in the other slot only in the meantime.

I sold this motherboard on EBay and didn't offer returns, but I always stand behind anything I've sold anyway (and I certainly never sell anything if it's broken - check my Heatware link in my signature to back that up), but the fact the motherboard worked for me just prior to shipping out, and worked for him when he first received it, I'm not sure I should be offering any refund at all, as it is clear that resistor got in after he ran it as a open test bench and during the installation in the case, but I'm wondering where the hell it came from!

post edited by Nereus - 2021/04/24 20:07:16

Attached Image(s)

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0 

19 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49061
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/04/24 21:14:02 (permalink)
    Maybe it came off the ram he was using?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16553
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/04/24 21:54:49 (permalink)
    My guess is that the capacitor fell off of his RAM, and even after removing the capacitor from the slot, that is why his RAM is still not working properly.

If he also damaged the slot while trying to force the RAM in there with the capacitor laying in the bottom, I would absolutely not feel bad about it.

The stark difference in color (yellowish vs pinkish) between the motherboard's capacitors and that capacitor is a pretty good indication that the capacitor didn't come from the motherboard.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/04/24 22:09:26

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

KenMcC
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3329
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/04/25 10:28:09 (permalink)
    One thing came to  mind, perhaps he is grounding MOB with a screw since the way I read the MOB still works outside on a piece of cardboard.  o

KenMcC
    Z170 Classy K; i7-6700 CPU,
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14
    Seasonic SSR-360GP 360W;
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256 GB 
    Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SATA
    Samsung 850 Evo 256 GB SATA
    Samsung SSD 840 Series 250 GB SATA

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
    Windows 10 x64 Prof.  
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/04/25 20:17:11 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses, and very good spot regarding the capacitor color difference, thanks Ty_ger07!

I received another message from the buyer about an hour ago and he was able to get the board to post again without issue (inside his case, so I guess that rules out a grounding issue now) and installed the o/s no problem, however it shut down randomly couple of times during regular browsing later on. He asked about organizing an RMA with ASUS, but I am not the original owner (as I posted in the EBay listing) and do not have a purchase invoice.

Couple of things I have suggested now:

Pull out the ram and remove the heatsinks (it they have them) and compare one stick to the other and see if he can spot a capacitor missing off one of them. If yes, then that is the issue, in which case he'd need to buy new ram and hope the dimm slot wasn't damaged trying to push the ram in there earlier when that capacitor was sitting down the bottom of the slot.

Second, try registering the motherboard with ASUS and then see if it's still under warranty. I *think* there may have been a purchase invoice sitting in a windowed packaging slip envelope attached to the side of the ASUS retail box, if so, he should be able to register and see if warranty is still active.

Third, borrow a couple of memory sticks from someone else and try them and see if there's still any problems (although if the dimm slot is now damaged then it's not going to help).

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions? Appreciate the help already given and any more advice. Fortunately I took photos of the board posting just before I sold it (and included the photos on the EBay listing) so I can prove it was working when it left my home, but I still feel bad the guy is having problems with it regardless of the cause. I do not get the impression he's trying to scam me.

post edited by Nereus - 2021/04/25 20:24:06

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/04/29 08:36:09 (permalink)

Guy just got back to me. He purchased new ram but is still having issues posting randomly and wants to return the motherboard. He did not answer me regarding if the capacitor came from one of his old memory sticks (whether he even looked or not I don't know). I did specify no returns on EBay. Here's my reply:

If you got new ram and it's still having memory issues, it unfortunately sounds like the dimm slot got damaged with that capacitor sitting in there and trying to push ram into the slot while the capacitor was still sitting there. Did you look at your old ram to see if it fell off one of them, since it doesn't match any of the capacitors on the motherboard?

I have 10+ years selling history with over 110 positive reviews between ebay and heatware and not 1 negative - I do not sell broken gear, and I did take photos of the board posting without issue multiple times before shipping it out - it never once had a problem posting.

You advised in your emails that it posted fine first time for you as well and to do that ram would have had to have been seated normally, but when you put it in a case you had issues and couldn't seat one of the sticks and that's when you found that capacitor that definitely wasn't in their previously (and clearly wasn't in there for you first time you put ram in and powered up either).

I did specify no returns, and after talking with a number of people on a tech forum, they all believed it was that capacitor that caused the issue and clearly it wasn't there previously. Everyone who commented on it said they did not believe this was any fault on my part.

I do however understand your frustration, and against others advise, I will meet you halfway and offer $75 back only because it sucks to be in that position, and I don't believe you are being dishonest with me, although I do not believe there was anything wrong with that motherboard when I sent it (and again, have posting photos to prove it, and your previous messages). I do not want the board returned as the person I was building it for changed their mind (which is why I sold it). If you are agreeable to a partial $75 refund let me know, otherwise you can refute it through EBay but I have more than enough evidence to prove the board was good when it left my end.

Sorry it's been a problem.

Sound fair enough? Probably more than fair imo, since it seems pretty clear that the issue happened at his end with that capacitor, wherever it came from. He hasn't replied yet.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/04/29 10:26:00 (permalink)

He accepted the $75 refund. I told him to keep the board.

abagailsflorist
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/05/01 14:33:16 (permalink)
    Glad it worked out!  My father guards his Ebay rep like a Fabrege egg!
    jeffro66
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3627
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/05/01 15:33:05 (permalink)
    i have had to do before to nereus just to make him hush lol.
    mine was ram worked perfect quad channel i didn't realize one of the sticks had different matching number not my fault.

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
     lian li 360b galahad aio
     ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
    ,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/05/27 21:57:09 (permalink)

Oh man I soooooo hate EBay - no wonder it's called Scam-Bay.

So I sold 3 items on EBay over the last year (I avoid EBay as much as possible), the most recent being the motherboard above, an i7-9700k, and at the same time my pristine ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code, a flawless board that I purchased new and had been my primary rig for about a year & a half and had been in use not long prior to me selling it. Everything else I've sold on EVGA marketplace, and have just short of 100 positive reviews on Heatware and zero negatives from all those sales. I don't sell shoddy gear - ever.

So I just got an email from EBay saying the ASUS Maximus Code motherboard is not working and the buyer wants a refund.

Total BS.

The buyer claims it's an A2 error, which means a drive is not connected. Didn't say which drive or any other details.

I responded to him telling him I am not ok with it, but suggested clearing CMOS, using some compressed air on the m.2 slot if that is what he is using, and making him aware that having bluetooth and wifi active disables a couple of the SATA ports, as does using the 2nd m.2 slot, maybe that's his problem, but he didn't give any specifics, which makes me even more suspicious.

Tracking shows delivery on April 26th, and he just registered the dispute with EBay today, May 27th, which is just 1 day past the 30 day window to register a dispute, so I'm not sure why EBay even allowed him to dispute it. I also specified no returns in the seller notice.

I sent him a message on the day it was delivered saying the following: "Hello, I see the motherboard was delivered, presumably all in one piece! I've left a positive feedback for you, would appreciate you leaving feedback for me once you've checked out the motherboard and are happy with it. Cheers."

He left a positive review for me on EBay after that.

As far as I can tell, he hasn't got a leg to stand on - particularly since the 30 day period ended on 05/26.

It feels like every time I deal with EBay I have at least a 50% chance of being scammed in some way. I'm betting if I accepted the return, it would not be the board I sent him, or something would be broken and/or missing, pins bent or something like that, can almost guarantee it.

In my posts above in this thread it was very clear the guy screwed up but I gave him 50% back anyway because I didn't think it was intentional and I felt sorry for him, but now I'm regretting it.

I'm not falling for this BS a second time, that board was in perfect condition. Problem is I Googled the guy and he's a lawyer... I'm already smelling a setup here.

Just venting basically - I just don't like being accused of selling broken gear - I have far too much personal integrity to pull that kind of bs, I'd throw the stuff out if there was something wrong with it rather than try to scam someone, so yes, I take it personally when accused of something like that. Grrrr.

BTW, the sale was made through EBay's direct pay system, so he can't try to scam me through a Paypal dispute either afaik.

post edited by Nereus - 2021/05/27 22:00:48

euzel42
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/02 12:43:47 (permalink)
    wow what a coincidence, it is certainly a small world haha.

I was randomly browsing EVGA forums. and indeed came across a thread that said questions about issues with the board not posting. I was like "oh well I have some recent experience with this type of deal" as soon as I saw the photo of the capacitor sitting in the slot I was like "what in the hell" haha.

sure enough, I am the buyer from eBay that bought the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-i. I took that very photo with the capacitor sitting in the ram slot. Nereus is a really professional seller. he tried to help me with every step of the issue and very communicative. Although I still am not sure where the capacitors came from I'm very certain it didn't come from my ram sticks. Because I have the trident z RGB these sticks are enclosed in a steel casing. I put them on my friend's rig and they run without a problem. I think it is very unlikely it fell from them. There are similar-looking capacitors on a mobo with a pinkish color. and BTW yes, I am still keeping that capacitor lol 

anyway, the latest update is he gave me a 50% refund. and I kept the card. mobo was very unstable and randomly shutting down even with a brand new pair of ram sticks. I tried to give another shot, so after I reset the CMOS, I put only a single ram stick, and it seems to run alright. If I put both ram sticks at the same time it randomly shuts down. So I am just running my pc with a single ram stick and so far so good. I inspected the unusable RAM slot for any pin damage but didn't see anything visually. Anyhow, I am not using that slot anyway and mobo is just running fine without.

I just wanted to give a little update on what's going on. Thanks to the OP for helping me out with the issue. I definitely recommend him and left positive feedback to him on eBay as well.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/02 12:53:36 (permalink)

Wow small world! Welcome to the EVGA forums!

Well you can see I did my due diligence on the issue with that motherboard! So the motherboard is working now, albeit with only one stick of ram instead of the two max, it would appear that one ram slot got damaged trying to push a ram stick in there when that capacitor was sitting down the bottom, which is what I figured (not that you would have expected that sitting in there, can't blame you, like I said, I didn't think you did it intentionally). At least you got a working board for 50% off lol. Thanks for the positive review, but I'm staying the heck away from EBay from now on. Cheers.

Good luck with the 3080Ti launch tomorrow, I'm presuming that's what bought you here (or the 3070Ti next week). Nice card if you can get your hands on one - I'll probably try for one too. I hope you stick around beyond the 100 post Elite requirement - a lot of good people on these forums (and a few not so nice lol).

post edited by Nereus - 2021/06/02 12:57:44

euzel42
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/02 13:01:32 (permalink)
    Nereus

Well you can see I did my due diligence on the issue with that motherboard! So the motherboard is working now, albeit with only one stick of ram instead of the two max, it would appear that one ram slot got damaged trying to push a ram stick in there when that capacitor was sitting down the bottom, which is what I figured (not that you would have expected that sitting in there, can't blame you, like I said, I didn't think you did it intentionally). At least you got a working board for 50% off lol. Thanks for the positive review, but I'm staying the heck away from EBay from now on. Cheers.

Good luck with the 3080Ti launch tomorrow, I'm presuming that's what bought you here (or the 3070Ti next week). Nice card if you can get your hands on one - I'll probably try for one too. I hope you stick around beyond the 100 post Elite requirement - a lot of good people on these forums (and a few not so nice lol).

yup I'm hoping I can get one. I have been running my PC without a graphics card for almost a month now lol. Im glad I have intel because I wouldn't be able to run at all with a ryzen. now at least I can browse the internet. Good luck to you as well my friend.
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/02 13:19:19 (permalink)
    euzel42
    Nereus

yup I'm hoping I can get one. I have been running my PC without a graphics card for almost a month now lol. Im glad I have intel because I wouldn't be able to run at all with a ryzen. now at least I can browse the internet. Good luck to you as well my friend.

Btw, I have a spare EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC card - it was my emergency backup card but about 2 weeks ago I scored a B-stock RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra, so let me know if the queue turns out to be really long and you need a GPU sooner - not the newest card but it's certainly better than integrated graphics! ..actually it's the same card I was using when I set up that ASUS ROG Strix Z390-i as a test bench and put the photo on EBay. I see they have been selling for $300-450 on EBay but that's ridiculous scalper prices. $200 if you want it, shipping included. It's the blower model btw, ideal for mini-ITX builds, in fact it was on my wife's mini-ITX build [link] until I scored a 2070 Super blower model for her late last year.
    Specs: [link] https://www.evga.com/prod...4949-A841-A1B4D4BCB9E7

euzel42
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/02 13:35:20 (permalink)
    Nereus
    euzel42
    Nereus

Btw, I have a spare EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC card - it was my emergency backup card but about 2 weeks ago I scored a B-stock RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra, so let me know if the queue turns out to be really long and you need a GPU sooner - not the newest card but it's certainly better than integrated graphics! ..actually it's the same card I was using when I set up that ASUS ROG Strix Z390-i as a test bench and put the photo on EBay. I see they have been selling for $300-450 on EBay but that's ridiculous scalper prices. $200 if you want it, shipping included. It's the blower model btw, ideal for mini-ITX builds, in fact it was on my wife's mini-ITX build [] until I scored a 2070 Super blower model for her late last year.
    Specs: []

thanks, I've just been waiting for 30 series. I've had a chance to get 1650super from MC a few weeks ago but I passed. I just want to get anything from 30 series lol. 

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/02 13:38:26 (permalink)
    euzel42
    Nereus
    euzel42
    Nereus

Btw, I have a spare EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC card - it was my emergency backup card but about 2 weeks ago I scored a B-stock RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra, so let me know if the queue turns out to be really long and you need a GPU sooner - not the newest card but it's certainly better than integrated graphics! ..actually it's the same card I was using when I set up that ASUS ROG Strix Z390-i as a test bench and put the photo on EBay. I see they have been selling for $300-450 on EBay but that's ridiculous scalper prices. $200 if you want it, shipping included. It's the blower model btw, ideal for mini-ITX builds, in fact it was on my wife's mini-ITX build [] until I scored a 2070 Super blower model for her late last year.
    Specs: []

thanks, I've just been waiting for 30 series. I've had a chance to get 1650super from MC a few weeks ago but I passed. I just want to get anything from 30 series lol.

No worries, don't blame you. This 30 series is a solid step up even from the 2080 series, let alone a 980 lol.

bossmanbossman
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/07 18:12:41 (permalink)
    I had the same issue
    leelawrencecs
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/08 13:07:16 (permalink)
    i wouldn't offer refund but if he disputes it, there's not much you can do about it.
    103JL
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/14 17:12:31 (permalink)
    one of the cons of ebay. how'd it go?
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Questions about issues with board posting 2021/06/14 21:30:32 (permalink)

Never heard anything more from the lawyer guy. Still a little annoyed by that attempt.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile