EVGA

NU Audio Review - Interference from EVGA Hybrid 1080 Ti

Author
maxinfo
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/02/02 00:17:35 (permalink)
So it seems that I'm most likely one of a limited target audience for this device. I'm a relatively frequent gamer and also listen to high quality audio (FLAC, DSD) on decent and planer magnetic headphones. Also, I generally don't care about 5.1 on my PC.

I received it recently and have been testing it out this evening. I'll be returning due to interference issues. There's a decent hum/buzz in stereo coming directly off the headphone jack on the back of the card. Worse on the left side passed 50% volume. Also, the microphone input has much worse interference, and that's without using the boost. This is due the cards proximity to my hybrid EVGA 1080 Ti Hybrid. I'm fairly sure it's the waterpump. I popped the video card out and i the Interference was gone. Though my computer is quite a bit less useful without it.

Also, as a gamer that generally plays online with others I'm really used to the ability to run with a 'monitor mode' or sidetone on the mic so I can get real time feedback on my levels. Having a great DAC that can support this would be a awesome and was one of the leading hopes when I purchased it. Based on everything I've seen in my audio configuration, the driver, or the card, doesn't support this. There's no volume level on the Microphone on the Output side of the device in any of the Mixers I've checked. This is something my junk $3.99 USB sound card supports fine even if everything else about it is pretty much trash.

For those that care I tested DSD over PCM and DSD over ASIO and both worked. MQA plays fine but Audirvana is most likely doing some heavy lifting. I told Audirvana to use the DAC as a MQA Decoder and it played a 24/352.8kHz file at 32/44.1 or 24/44.1 in ASIO and WASAPI modes. I'm thinking that should be playing back at 24/352.8kHz but I've only ever messed with MQA a little bit. Not that I can completely ignore the buzzing noises but the audio quality from a music standpoint. Last thing, the analog volume controller is nice if your doing direct decode stuff, but the NU Audio control app gets lost if you're switching playback drivers which breaks said volume control. If you're not using ASIO this will most likely not be an issue.

Intel i7-8700K Delid @ 5GHz | ASRock Z370M Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16) @ 3000 | 1x Samsung PM961 1TB NVMe | 2x Samsung 850 512GB (Raid 0) | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid | Intel X540-T2 10Gb Network | Fractal Design Meshify C Mini | Corsair H100i Pro RGB | EVGA 1000w PSU | 
 Alienware 34" AW3418DW G-Sync | 2x 34" Dell U3415W | Kinesis Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G602 Mouse | Oppo PM-3 Headphones w/V-MODA BoomPro Microphone 

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile