Mt Gox Disappears

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
megalolman
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 403
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/27 05:37:21 (permalink)
My thinking about the success of a virtual coin is very simple.

All will fail in the near future, because is only profitable in countries where the price of the electricity is cheap enought.
If the electricity is cheap,  people will start to use more energy to made coins from nothing, so the electricity will up in price because the greater demand of raw power. A new energy plant takes years to being build. If the demand is high enought and the supply is the same, the price will be very high.

When the time to make a coin surpass these actual profit margins, the countries where the big part of coins are made will be stopping the production, killing all these virtual money instead. 

For me, the virtual coins is a way to make money in THE PRESENT time, nor in the future. Only my .2 cents.

Succubi-Lair(Main Rig, dual-system) :
     Processor: AMD Ryzen 3900x @ NZXT Kraken x62 Motherboard: Gigabyte Elite X570, Memory: 32GB GSkill TridentZ 3200Mhz C14, Storage: Samsung EVO 960 M.2 NVME 250GB (Windows10 PRO), 2 x Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 NVME 1TB (2TB Raid 0 array - Games), Graphics: MSI GTX1080 Ti X @ NZXT Kraken x42, Audio: ASUS Xonar DX, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Second-System (Envy, Ruoting/WIFI AP): Gigabyte GA-J1900N_D3V, 8GB SO_DIMM 1600MHZ DDR3, 120x2 SSD Raid 0, 150W picoPSU @ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X ITX tray

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2234
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/27 07:24:06 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
ty_ger07
Brad_Hawthorne
My sense of humor is a bit warped. Wouldn't it be funny if all this mining really was just the NSA offloading distributed brute force attacks on third party encrypted data? F@H you're not curing cancer, you're hacking the Chinese military for the CIA?

Brad, you're not the first to question what the cryptocurrency distributed computing could be used for.

I'm sure, but what bothers me most about all of this is there is no credibility. People are encountering some pretty brutal issues because of blind trust of these exchanges. I mean, who are they anyways?

I totally agree.  Currency is about confidence.  Stocks are about confidence.  Debt is about confidence.  The entire system hinges on confidence.  These actions are shaking that confidence.  I found this intersting report http://www.slideshare.net/CoinDesk/coindesk-state-of-bitcoin-2014.  The digital world will stress our ability to really know who we are dealing with.  There are ways to hide that face-to-face interaction does not allow.  In the beginning banking was based on the interaction of the owner/operator and the people.  It then moved to paper forms processed centrally.  Then it moved to FICO and on-line forms.  How do you know that the exchaneg or trading partner is not the Mexican Drug Cartel?  Becasue they so they are not?  Although some feel this is a conspiracy theory, this is the reality of the digital world.  We can be anything in that world.  How do we breed confidence in that?
post edited by Grey_Beard - 2014/02/27 07:25:25

emepror
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2022
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/27 21:37:27 (permalink)
megalolman

All will fail in the near future, because is only profitable in countries where the price of the electricity is cheap enought.
If the electricity is cheap,  people will start to use more energy to made coins from nothing, so the electricity will up in price because the greater demand of raw power. A new energy plant takes years to being build. If the demand is high enought and the supply is the same, the price will be very high.

When the time to make a coin surpass these actual profit margins, the countries where the big part of coins are made will be stopping the production, killing all these virtual money instead. 

For me, the virtual coins is a way to make money in THE PRESENT time, nor in the future. Only my .2 cents.

Mining doesnt draw that much power, at least not enough to be worthy of building new power plants. Plus at this point, mining could technically stop all together and the market would be fine. There's enough businesses and people willing to take and trade to keep the currency going.

[11:11:11] trust_me: I had a hamburger once...
[20:32:06] moose517: ROFL i got my fro stuck on a sprinkler at work one time
[20:32:09] moose517: that sucked
starsmine
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 890
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/27 23:48:00 (permalink)
emepror
megalolman

Mining doesnt draw that much power, at least not enough to be worthy of building new power plants. Plus at this point, mining could technically stop all together and the market would be fine. There's enough businesses and people willing to take and trade to keep the currency going.

You need an influx of cash for any currancy to work.
If mining stoped, bitcoin would crash.

Though this thread as a whole bothers me, so much misinformation and misunderstanding on economics. And yes I know its equally stupid to say that and not address it, however there are so many of them to correct and I am not the defacto expert on it either. 

However I will add this, those who want to go back to the gold standard, this is the best alagory of what happens when you do. The way bitcoins interact with the market I mean. Bitcoins biggest flaw is how unflexable it is (the thing that people say gives the gold standard strength, its unflexability, that there is only so much to go around)
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 05:18:17 (permalink)
According the WSJ, Mt Gox filed for bankruptcy protection. This will be a potential long-term issue for this currency. Without actually producing a product or tangible asset, this currency will struggle regardless of the current exchange rates. When the second largest exchange collapses into bankruptcy, there are major issues. Heck, Lehman Brothers was not even the second largest bank and it wrecked havoc on the much larger banking system. This is a seismic event.

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102449
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 05:30:37 (permalink)
Bitcoins need a valid exchange and support system as well as regulation.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 09:49:33 (permalink)
rjohnson11

The bankster scumbags that keep us all slaves with money are never going to let something like this catch on enough to compete with them. This is the beginning of the end for mining. Its only going to get worse from here on out with theft, feds, crime, investigations etc.... and they will make sure all that happens to put enough anxiety into the system that most people walk away and play it "safe" with the old standby's.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102449
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 10:47:55 (permalink)
wmmills
rjohnson11

The bankster scumbags that keep us all slaves with money are never going to let something like this catch on enough to compete with them. This is the beginning of the end for mining. Its only going to get worse from here on out with theft, feds, crime, investigations etc.... and they will make sure all that happens to put enough anxiety into the system that most people walk away and play it "safe" with the old standby's.

The problem with Bitcoins is that they are unregulated and therefore fall into misuse by criminals and money laundering. Security and safety of the currency is also important. Bitcoin banks could spring up but before that happens governments need to start making new laws to protect the currency.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 12:18:45 (permalink)
wmmills

No reason to be angry. By the way, it is not the bankers doing this, as they also have issues with hackers and thieves. The issue is public confidence. The other issue is production of something tangible. Does mining produce something? If it does, what is it? Getting a gift for doing a calculation is fine, but what and who is that calculation benefiting? Who would ever start a Bitcoin exchange with real money since they are basically giving away their money to strangers who have not produced a good or service that has added value to anything? Not me. The Bitcoin system has done this, not scumbag bankers. Yes, mining may be dead, but that is because the resources being mined for are not valuable. Even bauxite has some value as plasterboard. We can cry economics or bankers or whatever, but the person who dreamed up the system could not tie the activity to a resource or asset, therefore things collapse. The housing market crash dealt with tangible assets and look what that did. Gotta create value or you have nothing to trade for. Might as well trade Monopoly money, as at least that can be used in the game. What can Butcoin be used for? Many country's currency has had the same issues. Until they have the confidence of whomever buys it or uses it, the paper is worth more than the currency. Regulation can create confidence, but this is much more systemic than simple regulation alone.

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 12:26:49 (permalink)
wmmills
rjohnson11

It's not the bankers it's as Grey said it's all about public confidence and private confidence as well.

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 16:05:34 (permalink)
megalolman

The problem in that premise is that these crypto-currancies only have a finite amount of coins that get progressively harder to mine as time goes on. That means that they are only valuable to a finite amount of people within a finite window of opportunity by design. What prevents these people from just inventing a new crypto-currency every time they wish to pump and dump and then create yet another currency after that to rinse and repeat? Every day I hear of new crypto-currencies and hear of everyone jumping on the me-too bandwaggon to get in early on the difficulty rating to mine. It makes me want to facepalm.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/02/28 16:06:42
starsmine
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 890
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 20:31:53 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
megalolman

The problem in that premise is that these crypto-currancies only have a finite amount of coins that get progressively harder to mine as time goes on. That means that they are only valuable to a finite amount of people within a finite window of opportunity by design. What prevents these people from just inventing a new crypto-currency every time they wish to pump and dump and then create yet another currency after that to rinse and repeat? Every day I hear of new crypto-currencies and hear of everyone jumping on the me-too bandwaggon to get in early on the difficulty rating to mine. It makes me want to facepalm.

Because all but the serious ones get ignored.
Like no one actually thinks dodgecoin will actually be a viable thing.

Also its not really a finite amount, there is a constant stream of new bitcoins entering the market, just with more flops mining, they make it harder so only that constant stream comes out. Its very similar to what the gold standard does. At least in terms of money entering the market.

post edited by starsmine - 2014/02/28 20:33:54
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/02/28 22:29:16 (permalink)
starsmine
Brad_Hawthorne
megalolman

Because all but the serious ones get ignored.
Like no one actually thinks dodgecoin will actually be a viable thing.

Also its not really a finite amount, there is a constant stream of new bitcoins entering the market, just with more flops mining, they make it harder so only that constant stream comes out. Its very similar to what the gold standard does. At least in terms of money entering the market.

There are a bunch of different crypto-currency people are buying into right now. While you can say they're not viable, a lot of people are losing their minds about crypto-currencies and buy into whatever they can. Reasoning away why most of those are not viable is discounting the fact that a lot of people doing this stuff are not rational to begin with. They just see some new way to potentially make thousands and leave the rational debate to others. Get enough fools in one place you gain consensus and a rather false sense of credibility. It's more or less misdirection by confirmation bias.

Actually there are a finite amount of Bitcoins. The mathematics behind the currency was designed like that.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/02/28 22:36:53
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21177
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 05:27:36 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
starsmine
Brad_Hawthorne
megalolmanMy thinking about the success of a virtual coin is very simple. All will fail in the near future, because is only profitable in countries where the price of the electricity is cheap enought.If the electricity is cheap,  people will start to use more energy to made coins from nothing, so the electricity will up in price because the greater demand of raw power. A new energy plant takes years to being build. If the demand is high enought and the supply is the same, the price will be very high. When the time to make a coin surpass these actual profit margins, the countries where the big part of coins are made will be stopping the production, killing all these virtual money instead.  For me, the virtual coins is a way to make money in THE PRESENT time, nor in the future. Only my .2 cents.

Because all but the serious ones get ignored.Like no one actually thinks dodgecoin will actually be a viable thing. Also its not really a finite amount, there is a constant stream of new bitcoins entering the market, just with more flops mining, they make it harder so only that constant stream comes out. Its very similar to what the gold standard does. At least in terms of money entering the market. 

There are a bunch of different crypto-currency people are buying into right now. While you can say they're not viable, a lot of people are losing their minds about crypto-currencies and buy into whatever they can. Reasoning away why most of those are not viable is discounting the fact that a lot of people doing this stuff are not rational to begin with. They just see some new way to potentially make thousands and leave the rational debate to others. Get enough fools in one place you gain consensus and a rather false sense of credibility. It's more or less misdirection by confirmation bias. Actually there are a finite amount of Bitcoins. The mathematics behind the currency was designed like that.

Wisdom.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 06:28:13 (permalink)
I would love to see bitcoin move away from GPUs and into its own hardware. 
AMD puts out an affordable high end GPU and bitcoin drives the prices up to 800 bucks. 
Im a gamer not a bitminor, I want to see gaming hardware return to normal. So if bitcoin falls im all for it. If bitcoin shifts to other means of hardware im also for it.

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 08:00:27 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Brad_Hawthorne
starsmine
Brad_Hawthorne
megalolmanMy thinking about the success of a virtual coin is very simple. All will fail in the near future, because is only profitable in countries where the price of the electricity is cheap enought.If the electricity is cheap,  people will start to use more energy to made coins from nothing, so the electricity will up in price because the greater demand of raw power. A new energy plant takes years to being build. If the demand is high enought and the supply is the same, the price will be very high. When the time to make a coin surpass these actual profit margins, the countries where the big part of coins are made will be stopping the production, killing all these virtual money instead.  For me, the virtual coins is a way to make money in THE PRESENT time, nor in the future. Only my .2 cents.

Because all but the serious ones get ignored.Like no one actually thinks dodgecoin will actually be a viable thing. Also its not really a finite amount, there is a constant stream of new bitcoins entering the market, just with more flops mining, they make it harder so only that constant stream comes out. Its very similar to what the gold standard does. At least in terms of money entering the market. 

There are a bunch of different crypto-currency people are buying into right now. While you can say they're not viable, a lot of people are losing their minds about crypto-currencies and buy into whatever they can. Reasoning away why most of those are not viable is discounting the fact that a lot of people doing this stuff are not rational to begin with. They just see some new way to potentially make thousands and leave the rational debate to others. Get enough fools in one place you gain consensus and a rather false sense of credibility. It's more or less misdirection by confirmation bias. Actually there are a finite amount of Bitcoins. The mathematics behind the currency was designed like that.

Wisdom.

+1

Shadowfoxy
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 15:31:04 (permalink)
In the case of MT.Gox is just a small blip on the screen, that won't have a lasting effect in the overall scheme of things that involve Bitcoin. The fall of Mt.Gox just proves what would have happened to bad companies such JP Morgan, RBS, HSBC, and any other big bank had they not been bailed out by the U.S Taxpayer. Fact of the matter is what your seeing is what happens in a free market. And in a free market bad actors get weeded out, and Mt.Gox won't be the last to be weeded out of the market.

My heart goes out to those who had money lost any amount of cash in this Mt.Gox debacle. But most bitcoiner's who have been in it for a while have known for years that Gox was trash and stayed away from it's exchange. And most of us know that bitcoins biggest weakness is the exchanges, until those become decentralized as well, which is very close at hand. As a general rule and this applies to all exchanges involved in crypto currency, never leave any cash or coin on the exchanges wallet. Purchase or withdraw your coin or dollars as soon as your done with your transactions.

If you have any questions about Bitcoins or cryptocurrency in general shoot me a P.M I would be glad to answer it, and if I can't at the moment I'm sure I can find the answer.
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 15:57:10 (permalink)
Shadowfoxy
In the case of MT.Gox is just a small blip on the screen, that won't have a lasting effect in the overall scheme of things that involve Bitcoin. The fall of Mt.Gox just proves what would have happened to bad companies such JP Morgan, RBS, HSBC, and any other big bank had they not been bailed out by the U.S Taxpayer. Fact of the matter is what your seeing is what happens in a free market. And in a free market bad actors get weeded out, and Mt.Gox won't be the last to be weeded out of the market.

My heart goes out to those who had money lost any amount of cash in this Mt.Gox debacle. But most bitcoiner's who have been in it for a while have known for years that Gox was trash and stayed away from it's exchange. And most of us know that bitcoins biggest weakness is the exchanges, until those become decentralized as well, which is very close at hand. As a general rule and this applies to all exchanges involved in crypto currency, never leave any cash or coin on the exchanges wallet. Purchase or withdraw your coin or dollars as soon as your done with your transactions.

If you have any questions about Bitcoins or cryptocurrency in general shoot me a P.M I would be glad to answer it, and if I can't at the moment I'm sure I can find the answer.

The problem is people don't know or care who are good or bad exchanges with crypto-currency. They just want to cash in however they can. You explaining it away as a bad exchange does not effect that mindset. There is nothing in the way from having a repeat of MT.Gox several times a year at this rate. That does not instill confidence in crypto-currency.
Shadowfoxy
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 16:45:44 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
Shadowfoxy

The problem is people don't know or care who are good or bad exchanges with crypto-currency. They just want to cash in however they can. You explaining it away as a bad exchange does not effect that mindset. There is nothing in the way from having a repeat of MT.Gox several times a year at this rate. That does not instill confidence in crypto-currency.

I agree with what you are saying, my comment was specifically in regard to Mt.Gox and any other business within the bitcoin world that does the same thing as Mt.Gox. Now going with your new topic about instilling trust within Cryptocurrency in general. This situation and any like it will of course make it hard for the normal everyday joe to want to even think about messing with it. So I agree in the sense that Crypto-currency isn't truly ready for prime-time yet because its still in its infancy.

The infrastructure is still being built around it. And its not like you can look to any examples in the past to something of this magnitude to reflect on. So its going to be a touch and go situation. But like I said the bad actors are just going to keep getting weeded out until business realize that if they want to stay around for the long term they need to get their stuff together.

But in the meantime while that is happening and a person is interested or curious about crypt-currency its going to be very vital that they take the time to investigate things before getting involved. At the moment crypt-currency isn't ready for the "Regular Joe" yet.
Shadowfoxy
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 16:54:03 (permalink)
I guess its because I'm new I can't reply back to PM's yet so this reply is toward "kaninja" who asked me a question in PM. To answer your question I would highly recommend if you can to make a backup of your wallet to a USB thumbdrive even  if you don't plan to "cash out". And I also recommend to encrypt your wallet with a strong password. Now if you plan to cash out at some point there are a couple of ways you can.

One way is in person you can go to localbitcoins.com and setup a meet with someone in your area. Or you can do it through an exchange I recommend which is campbx.com. I recommend reading through there FAQ section, it tells you the procedure of how deposit/withdraw from them. It's an easy process once you signup. 

post edited by Shadowfoxy - 2014/03/01 16:55:23
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8756
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 17:05:42 (permalink)
Shadowfoxy
I guess its because I'm new I can't reply back to PM's yet so this reply is toward "kaninja" who asked me a question in PM. To answer your question I would highly recommend if you can to make a backup of your wallet to a USB thumbdrive even  if you don't plan to "cash out". And I also recommend to encrypt your wallet with a strong password. Now if you plan to cash out at some point there are a couple of ways you can.

One way is in person you can go to localbitcoins.com and setup a meet with someone in your area. Or you can do it through an exchange I recommend which is campbx.com. I recommend reading through there FAQ section, it tells you the procedure of how deposit/withdraw from them. It's an easy process once you signup. 

Thanks!  You have PM.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Shadowfoxy
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 17:48:35 (permalink)
Got it! If you have any other questions just shoot them over.
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/01 19:08:19 (permalink)
Shadowfoxy
Brad_Hawthorne
Shadowfoxy

I agree with what you are saying, my comment was specifically in regard to Mt.Gox and any other business within the bitcoin world that does the same thing as Mt.Gox. Now going with your new topic about instilling trust within Cryptocurrency in general. This situation and any like it will of course make it hard for the normal everyday joe to want to even think about messing with it. So I agree in the sense that Crypto-currency isn't truly ready for prime-time yet because its still in its infancy.

The infrastructure is still being built around it. And its not like you can look to any examples in the past to something of this magnitude to reflect on. So its going to be a touch and go situation. But like I said the bad actors are just going to keep getting weeded out until business realize that if they want to stay around for the long term they need to get their stuff together.

But in the meantime while that is happening and a person is interested or curious about crypt-currency its going to be very vital that they take the time to investigate things before getting involved. At the moment crypt-currency isn't ready for the "Regular Joe" yet.

Confidence has been the entire message in this thread.  Not sure what you mean about a new message.  If I had any Bitcoin I would immediately be converting it to an established support and regulated one.  This is no different than if I own a stock in a  company that is doing shady things.  I would dump it immediately.  As with regular banking, there is not a single exchange that keeps enough other currency around to fulfill everyone's deposits.  This is why confidence is so important.  The hackers are more of a problem than even Mt Gox.  If they can hack retail out lets, do you really think there is not one person with a weak password on each exchange that they can gain access through?  The saying is that the strength of a chain is its weakest link, as this is the prevailing problem here.  Confidence is shaken, that is another weak link.  Just because you are bought into the concept does not mean it will even become main stream.  What are you producing that makes this currency worth anything?  What tangible products are produced that I would gladly give something up for?  The system asks me to give the electric company my dollars for doing this task.  What does the task get me?  What does the task get the person who has asked the task to be done?  Limited supply of something does not make it valuable.  Without the ability to commercialize the product, the value is a mirage or a bubble.  Many people can see the mirage and think it something, but in realty does it really exist?  The funny thing is that currency is already very electronic.  The amount of cash actually in circulation has been decreasing, as transactions have typically been electronic for the last 25 years.  Not sure why this is anti-establishment or a revolt.  Like a $20 billion system can compete with a $400 billion system without being much more secure and without having the confidence of the public at large in the establishments that support it.  The hill is steep and the rocks are falling.  If this was a stock, I would be dumping it.  If I owed anything called Bitcoin, I would be selling it.

Shadowfoxy
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/02 14:45:16 (permalink)
Grey_Beard I understand all points you are making and I agree that a person needs to make the choice they believe is best for them. So if a person feels they need to get out of Bitcoin because they can't understand or deal with all the volatility then by all means do get out and do whats best for you. But the reality is that hackers are always going to be an issue weather we talk about "Dollars" or "Bitcoin" or anything else. But let's make sure we are clear on one thing first though, "Bitcoin" is a protocol first and foremost and a currency second. "Bitcoin" the protocol has still till this point never been hacked. Mt.Gox the website has been hacked but not the Bitcoin protocol. If that were to happen then yea you definitely want to get out of Bitcoin.

Merchants that accept Bitcoin as payment need to do better with securing there websites and hot wallets. Now again as I've stated before if the average Joe gets involved at this moment he won't be able to make the difference between the things I've just stated his thought is, "Well Mt.Gox got hacked so therefore Bitcoin got hacked so, Bitcoin isn't safe I'm going back to whatever..." So yea confidence will be shaken, it's definitely going to take some education to get people to separate the two just like it took some education for people to start trusting "E-mail". But I'm pretty confident that crypto-currency is here to stay just like "P2P files sharing" and "Bit torrents" are here to stay since the cat is out of the bag so to speak.

And just like I've had conversations with other people before about Bitcoin as a protocol. The price point of Bitcoin is only 1 aspect of the many things that Bitcoin can do as a protocol. And people are figuring that out and building applications to work on top of the protocol as we speak. And as we move further into 2014 that will become more abundantly clear.
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/02 18:08:30 (permalink)
Shadowfoxy, not sure you answered my questions.  What is the Bitcoin protocols used for and what do they produce?  This may be as easy as getting the masses to use e-mail, but this seems more systemic than that.  It just feels much more perilous.  Yes hackers can gain access to traditional cash accounts, but those are regulated and many are guaranteed by not only the government but by the institutions that provides the service.  If you get your credit card number stolen, MasterCard guarantees that you will not be charged.  Why does the Bitcoin exchanges not do the same?  Yes there is a need for more understanding, but this is a slippery slope.  There are more things the exchanges and the providers of this "currency" can do to make it more secure.  Having stores take this stuff is not much different than having them take a Euro, although the people with the Euro have some protection that the Bitcoin folks do not.  Why is that?  Seems odd to me, if this is such an accepted form of payment.  Still not understanding what is being produced when you are mining, as this may be the link to more acceptance of this "currency".

Shadowfoxy
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/03 00:15:38 (permalink)
I took this little bit straight from Wikipedia because it explains what the Bitcoin protocol better than I can: " a peer-to-peer payment network that operates on a cryptographic protocol. Users send bitcoins, the unit of currency, by broadcasting digitally signed messages to the network using Bitcoin wallet software. Transactions are recorded into a distributed public database known as the block chain, with consensus achieved by a proof-of-work system called "mining". The block chain is distributed internationally using peer-to-peer filesharing technology similar to BitTorrent." This pretty much sums up the protocol.

Now as far as what the protocol "produces" which I think your asking what type of service does this provide, if I'm understanding correctly. The service its providing is a secure way to send your transactions anywhere in the world with close to zero cost, while remaining anonymous while doing so. Now granted transactions are are done within an open ledger but you can't but a specific name to the individual to sent or received the transaction unless you are informed of such information.

As far as regulation goes as I've stated before crypto-currency is in its infancy and each country will have to figure out for themselves how they want to regulate these types of currency's. The protocol is open source so therefore no one country owns the rights to the protocol. So how it will be regulated in the future is up for debate but it currently has guidelines such as here in the US by FinCen on how businesses who operate with bitcoin should work within those guidelines. But its still being debated about at this moment.

With your example about MasterCard again that's an example of a company that has decided to take steps to reassure the customer that if a problem arises such as what you have described they will essentially have your back. And I agree that exchanges that want to work within the bitcoin world should have policy's like that. But again that is up to each company/merchant to make decisions like MasterCard to install such policy's. That's not Bitcoin's problem, its the merchant's.

I agree that there are more things exchanges/merchants can do to make sure their websites and business as a whole more secure. The Bitcoin protocol as I've stated is secure and still to this day has not been hacked.

Yes there is no difference from a transaction standpoint between how a Euro is accepted and a Bitcoin is accepted. But the differences start to show when we talk about other aspects of the currency. The two that I will mention for example are the privacy aspect of the currency's which is a big deal believe it or not. And also the fact that it can be accepted anywhere in the world where there is an internet connection. There are many places in the world for example where master card nor visa are not accepted due to the fact that those company's don't do business in those country's for whatever reason. But bitcoin does not have that limitation.

The Euro and any other nations currency was created by those nations so therefore should naturally be protected by those countries. The Bitcoin protocol was created by the people not one particular nation so therefore it is up to the people to provide those protections. And the market is responding to try to create those protections. We have to remember this protocol when talked about as a currency is still very new, and is doing phenomenally well in such a short period of time for itself. If you look at the history of other nations currency when they were in their infancy you will see similarities to what's going on today.

And lastly about the mining its fairly simple. When a person decides to use there computing power to support the network through the process of mining. The network rewards the individual with bitcoin. The mining is a proof-of-work process that is verifying a transaction process. Its verifying that the block your computer is currently trying to solve is valid and not fake or allowing for Bitcoins to be double-spent by some other node within the network. It's much more technical than what I'm saying here but this is the gist of it.

I hope I answered your questions to the best of my ability.
post edited by Shadowfoxy - 2014/03/03 00:17:25
Shadowfoxy
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/03 00:26:45 (permalink)
Just saw this here is an update to any who have been affected by Mt.Gox and lost bitcoin. Mt.Gox has setup a call center for users.
How effective this will be I'm not sure but here is the link to the article: tweaktown.com/news/35910/mt-gox-trying-to-make-amends-sets-up-support-call-center-for-users/index.html
post edited by Shadowfoxy - 2014/03/03 00:27:51
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/03 01:18:31 (permalink)
How does setting up a call center make amends? Not sure what sort of apology would replace money?
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/03 03:50:11 (permalink)
Shadowfoxy
I took this little bit straight from Wikipedia because it explains what the Bitcoin protocol better than I can: " a peer-to-peer payment network that operates on a cryptographic protocol. Users send bitcoins, the unit of currency, by broadcasting digitally signed messages to the network using Bitcoin wallet software. Transactions are recorded into a distributed public database known as the block chain, with consensus achieved by a proof-of-work system called "mining". The block chain is distributed internationally using peer-to-peer filesharing technology similar to BitTorrent." This pretty much sums up the protocol.

Now as far as what the protocol "produces" which I think your asking what type of service does this provide, if I'm understanding correctly. The service its providing is a secure way to send your transactions anywhere in the world with close to zero cost, while remaining anonymous while doing so. Now granted transactions are are done within an open ledger but you can't but a specific name to the individual to sent or received the transaction unless you are informed of such information.

As far as regulation goes as I've stated before crypto-currency is in its infancy and each country will have to figure out for themselves how they want to regulate these types of currency's. The protocol is open source so therefore no one country owns the rights to the protocol. So how it will be regulated in the future is up for debate but it currently has guidelines such as here in the US by FinCen on how businesses who operate with bitcoin should work within those guidelines. But its still being debated about at this moment.

With your example about MasterCard again that's an example of a company that has decided to take steps to reassure the customer that if a problem arises such as what you have described they will essentially have your back. And I agree that exchanges that want to work within the bitcoin world should have policy's like that. But again that is up to each company/merchant to make decisions like MasterCard to install such policy's. That's not Bitcoin's problem, its the merchant's.

I agree that there are more things exchanges/merchants can do to make sure their websites and business as a whole more secure. The Bitcoin protocol as I've stated is secure and still to this day has not been hacked.

Yes there is no difference from a transaction standpoint between how a Euro is accepted and a Bitcoin is accepted. But the differences start to show when we talk about other aspects of the currency. The two that I will mention for example are the privacy aspect of the currency's which is a big deal believe it or not. And also the fact that it can be accepted anywhere in the world where there is an internet connection. There are many places in the world for example where master card nor visa are not accepted due to the fact that those company's don't do business in those country's for whatever reason. But bitcoin does not have that limitation.

The Euro and any other nations currency was created by those nations so therefore should naturally be protected by those countries. The Bitcoin protocol was created by the people not one particular nation so therefore it is up to the people to provide those protections. And the market is responding to try to create those protections. We have to remember this protocol when talked about as a currency is still very new, and is doing phenomenally well in such a short period of time for itself. If you look at the history of other nations currency when they were in their infancy you will see similarities to what's going on today.

And lastly about the mining its fairly simple. When a person decides to use there computing power to support the network through the process of mining. The network rewards the individual with bitcoin. The mining is a proof-of-work process that is verifying a transaction process. Its verifying that the block your computer is currently trying to solve is valid and not fake or allowing for Bitcoins to be double-spent by some other node within the network. It's much more technical than what I'm saying here but this is the gist of it.

I hope I answered your questions to the best of my ability.

Still not sure what is produced when the mining is "verified".  A farmer produces animals based on the feed given them and care taken to raise them.  This can be traded for currency.  What does the "miner" produce?  What is the valuable commodity that is generated for Bitcoin to have any value economically?

Not sure why the US or any other country would regulate or support this, as it competes with what they already offer.  The People's currency is a great concept, unfortunately this is a systemic flaw.  The People need to support it and few will financially.  Without some backing it not worth the 1 & 0's that make it up or the electric charge to turn them on and off.  The MasterCard example was not one that a company does, but those that issue these cards must do to support their currency, as debt or credit is a currency.  Without this support, who would use their cards?  Very few.  They could have value based on limited supply, but if their were no protections, then the risk outweighs the benefits.  It would seem that we are striving for Bitcoin to be the Democratic currency.  Unfortunately, currency needs support.  The privacy aspect is also scary, as the criminal element will overwhelm this because of that reason.

As I have stated, this is a steep and slippery hill.  Hope it makes it and when I retire I will use my Bitcoins to purchase a new chip to replace the one that is embedded in my glasses which is my computer, phone, medical record and wallet.  Not sure it will, as the competing currencies already have enough trouble with each other that they will not allow this to take hold.  Privacy may be the downfall here, as the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Thanks for your continued willingness to explain this concept to us.

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Mt Gox Disappears 2014/03/03 07:07:50 (permalink)
I found these articles interesting:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417741,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454375,00.asp

In the second article, the distrubing fact is that almost $500,000,000 in Bitcoins were stolen, 850,000 total Bitcoins and 7% of the total number produced at this point.  If 7% of the any currency disappeared, there would be trouble.  The biggest concern is still regulation, reserves for exchanges and the ability to track the currency.  Without tracking, the criminal element will hi-jack it and make it the perferred choice for their activities.  This may make the "currency" valuable, but I am not sure this was the intent of the developers.  The other statement that got me in the first article is that they referred to it as "free money".  No currency can be free.  There must be value.  Just because it is rare and untraceable, does not a currency make.  By being free there is no one to support it or to assure its value in any transaction.  Markets are not always the best way to make things work, as we have seen with many instances involving the stock market.  The PC Mag articled help me in undertsanding it more, but still does not give me the warm and fuzzy necessary to embrace the concept.  Godo information though.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile