EVGA

Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102427
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2021/10/14 05:03:00 (permalink)
https://videocardz.com/newz/leaked-aorus-z690-master-motherboard-shows-lga1700-socket-and-pcie-gen5-slot-up-close

Gigabyte is set to launch as many as 16 AORUS motherboards according to the Eurasian Economic Commission leak. The AORUS Master series represent the upper tier in the lineup, only being surpassed AORUS Xtreme series. In other words, AORUS Z690 Master which has been leaked defines what the company has in plan for the ultra-premium segment to be occupied by the Intel 12th Gen Core i9 series.

The Master is a Standard ATX form factor board with dual 8-pin EPS connectors. The LGA1700 socket clearly visible in this photo will support Alder Lake-S as well as future Raptor Lake-S processors. It has four DIMM slots for DDR5 memory as well as a reinforced PCIe Gen5 x16 interface under a large M.2 slot thermal guard. There are an additional two PCIe x16 slots, but it is unclear if they are Gen5 or Gen4. Not much else is can be seen in this photo because the VRM section is all covered in large heatsink on both sites. We also have a picture of the Z690 AORUS Elite AX DDR4 motherboard, which is a mid-range tier segment. The is clearly a smaller cover over the components but the three PCIe x16 interface layout has been kept for this board as well.

The motherboard looks solid. Very interesting to see the new CPU slot and DDR5 memory slots. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

14 Replies Related Threads

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/14 14:40:16 (permalink)
    The spacing for SLi cards, why now? For years and years we wanted more space for SLi card, now that SLi pretty much irrelevant everyone starts spacing out the 1st and 2nd PCIe slots.

Is rj's picture crooked or is it just me?

LJennings
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 535
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/15 10:46:22 (permalink)
    How is this  "up close?"

kram36
    The spacing for SLi cards, why now? For years and years we wanted more space for SLi card, now that SLi pretty much irrelevant everyone starts spacing out the 1st and 2nd PCIe slots.
    Is rj's picture crooked or is it just me?

Personally, idk why anyone needs more than a micro ATX board at this point in time. Maybe the spacing between the PCIe slots are for more m.2 drives. Could maybe 3 fit in there?
    When you're grinding to get to 100k posts, you can't be bothered with rotating a picture.

Heatware
    i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/15 11:40:01 (permalink)
    I would say the spacing change has less to do with SLI at this point, and more to due with the massive GPU’s taking up 3 slots and being blocked off by any sort of add in card, like an audio card or 4xNVME card. There is still a space requirement for the air cooled cards to breath, and only now are the board manufacturers willing to accept that.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 08:13:06 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    I would say the spacing change has less to do with SLI at this point, and more to due with the massive GPU’s taking up 3 slots and being blocked off by any sort of add in card, like an audio card or 4xNVME card. There is still a space requirement for the air cooled cards to breath, and only now are the board manufacturers willing to accept that.

Really?

the_Scarlet_one
    Kram,

Yep, the shifted the spacing of the PCIe slots so that a consumer board can actually use NVLink, since the 3090 only has a 4 slot link available at a decent price.

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3421173
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 12:31:47 (permalink)
    kram36
    the_Scarlet_one

Really?

the_Scarlet_one
    Kram,

Yep, the shifted the spacing of the PCIe slots so that a consumer board can actually use NVLink, since the 3090 only has a 4 slot link available at a decent price.

*slow clap*? You found a post from 3 months ago, where I was assuming why EVGA changed their spacing, and now that other companies are doing the same, I changed my opinion. Is that not allowed?  In reality, the only people that know exactly why the spacing has suddenly change is going to be the engineers.  I suggest if you want Exact Answers that you seek, reach out to them.  I only have opinions, and those will change with time.

You should probably start searching for the posts where I said EVGA would never make an AMD motherboard so you can quote that next.  I can tell you, that opinion (more fact I guess) has changed as well. 
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/17 12:53:16
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 13:23:45 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    kram36
    the_Scarlet_one

Really?

the_Scarlet_one
    Kram,

*slow clap*? You found a post from 3 months ago, where I was assuming why EVGA changed their spacing, and now that other companies are doing the same, I changed my opinion. Is that not allowed?  In reality, the only people that know exactly why the spacing has suddenly change is going to be the engineers.  I suggest if you want Exact Answers that you seek, reach out to them.  I only have opinions, and those will change with time.

You should probably start searching for the posts where I said EVGA would never make an AMD motherboard so you can quote that next.  I can tell you, that opinion (more fact I guess) has changed as well. 

*no clap* Maybe you need to ask the engineers so you don't spread misinformation, err I mean don't have to assume and then change your assumed opinion.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 15:52:04 (permalink)
    kram36
    *no clap* Maybe you need to ask the engineers so you don't spread misinformation, err I mean don't have to assume and then change your assumed opinion.

Edit to add a TLDR: SLI has nothing to do with spacing on this board. It doesn’t matter what EVGA did, don’t get stuck on the past, this board is incapable of SLI. So, as such, SLI is not the reason for the spacing choice. You can not compare apples and oranges in this case.

So, after looking closely, I can tell you my assumption about this board is correct. The z590 dark spacing assumption on my part still stands, since EVGA built that board specifically for overclocking and record breaking, which would require two GPU’s. But since Gigabyte has decided to use this spacing on a SLI incapable product, there is no need to assume that their motives were different than EVGA’s.

Maybe when the official Z690 launch happens, we can get an actual answer from other companies as to why those chose this spacing, but until NDA’s are lifted, it will only be assumptions and the fact thishas nothing to do with SLI.

I have edited this post a few times, as I realized that my assumption was correct about this board. Did I say why I am correct? No, I haven’t directly, but hopefully you can figure out why SLI isn’t the reason since you are stuck on a post about a completely different product from 3 months ago. I can promise it doesn’t require an engineer to answer why SLI isn’t the reason behind gigabytes choice, but it will require a gigabyte engineer to say why they chose 4 slot spacing when SLI wasn’t the reason.

While we wait for the launch, you have taken issue with many things I have post over the years, so I literally couldn’t care less how you feel about what I post. Honestly, after all the years, why do you even read my posts if you are going to complain?
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/17 17:02:46
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 16:50:46 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    kram36

Until then, you have taken issue with most things I post over the years, so I literally couldn’t care less how you feel about what I post. Honestly, after all the years, why do you even read my posts if you are going to complain?

Eh, you were the one reading me post and replied to it. I called you out on your previous position and it's my fault? Might want to look in the mirror.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 17:04:34 (permalink)
    kram36
    [
    Eh, you were the one reading me post and replied to it. I called you out on your previous position and it's my fault? Might want to look in the mirror.

I actually just edited my post, and you are correct, I was responding to your post, and you tried to use a post from the past from a different brand to justify a bad response.

What is the main difference between the z590 FTW/Dark 4 slot spacing, and the Gigabyte z690 4 slot spacing? SLI compatibility. Two boards can support SLI, one cannot. But why?

I will say, expansion cards, and possibly NVME placement is possibly the reason Gigabyte chose the 4 slot spacing, but it has nothing to do with SLI.

I was wrong earlier when I said that 4xNVME expansion cards, because the gigabyte board couldn’t support that if it tried. It can’t even support 2x or 3x NVME expansion cards unless using the top pci slot.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/17 17:24:29
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 18:08:36 (permalink)
    Kram,

Just got a message from Vince Lucido, the z590 FTW and Dark was spaced at 4 slot for SLI compatibility. He added that the spacing helps for m.2’s also, but 4 slot was for SLI compatibility, so my assumption was correct and it wasn’t misinformation. I apologize for assuming back in July, but at least I assumed correctly.

100% the gigabyte board isn’t spaced for SLI since the gigabyte board can’t support SLI. NVidia requires x8 on both GPU’s for SLI, and my initial assumption is the gigabyte wasn’t doing the spacing for SLI, and that turned out to be true if you zoom in and realize gigabyte moved the slot, but only wired PE2 and PE3 for X4 pci lanes. So, no clue why they would do that other than maybe m.2 spacing to allow for two devices between the slots.

post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2021/10/17 18:46:10
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/17 19:47:33 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Kram,

Just got a message from Vince Lucido, the z590 FTW and Dark was spaced at 4 slot for SLI compatibility. He added that the spacing helps for m.2’s also, but 4 slot was for SLI compatibility, so my assumption was correct and it wasn’t misinformation. I apologize for assuming back in July, but at least I assumed correctly.

100% the gigabyte board isn’t spaced for SLI since the gigabyte board can’t support SLI. NVidia requires x8 on both GPU’s for SLI, and my initial assumption is the gigabyte wasn’t doing the spacing for SLI, and that turned out to be true if you zoom in and realize gigabyte moved the slot, but only wired PE2 and PE3 for X4 pci lanes. So, no clue why they would do that other than maybe m.2 spacing to allow for two devices between the slots.

That's interesting on the wired x4 slots, not sure why they did that. What's your assumption on that? Can PCIe 5.0 X16 not be broken up?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/18 02:48:14 (permalink)
    Vince did say that z690 will be spaced at 4slots for SLI compatibility, meaning they will split lanes, so I have no idea what gigabyte was thinking when they did this.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102427
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/18 03:05:20 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Vince did say that z690 will be spaced at 4slots for SLI compatibility, meaning they will split lanes, so I have no idea what gigabyte was thinking when they did this.

I suppose they are assuming a vast majority of users will have only a single video card

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Leaked AORUS Z690 Master motherboard shows LGA1700 socket and PCIe Gen5 slot up close 2021/10/18 07:57:46 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    the_Scarlet_one

I suppose they are assuming a vast majority of users will have only a single video card

There are other cards on the market besides video cards that need more than a X4 PCIe slot.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile