EVGA

Is it possible to bend or damage pins by inserting a memory module in DDR3 DIMM Connector?

Author
Dominique007
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/22 05:18:01 (permalink)
Hi

I inserted a memory module into a DDR3 240 pins DIMM connector-socket of a new EVGA motherboard. First insertion of a memory module on that motherboard.

Being that DIMM sockets connectors have to have both latches down, are keyed for inserting the memory module only one way and that the memory module has to go into the channels on each sides of the socket to be able to insert it. The DIMM connector - socket is designed and engineered to be essentially fool proof.

Is it possible to user damage and bend pins of a 240 pin DDR3 memory DIMM connector socket?
post edited by Dominique007 - 2020/05/22 19:30:01

4 Replies Related Threads

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Is it possible to bend or damage pins by inserting a memory module in DDR3 DIMM Connec 2020/05/22 07:33:52 (permalink)
    Let's just say it's not IMpossible.

Memory modules and slots are keyed to fit only one way and of the correct type (DDR2, DDR3, DDR4) so it's pretty much foolproof.

You can remove the modules and check the slots for bent/broken pins if you suspect any may be damaged, and describe any problem you're experiencing.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

jonkrmr
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 952
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Is it possible to bend or damage pins by inserting a memory module in DDR3 DIMM Connec 2020/05/22 07:37:23 (permalink)
    Its' pretty hard but yes, they can be damaged.

You would not be able to get the memory module fully seated anyway if it was not the right type for the board, the keying of the slot and module would not allow it. It would be immediately obvious.

Same as if you tried to insert a correct type module in the memory slot backwards (we've all done it) and usually won't damage the slot if you don't try to force the thing with brute force into the slot.

Intel i9-10850K @ 5 GHz
    MSI MEG Z490 Unify
    Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32GB 3600MHz DDR4
    ASUS Strix RTX 3080 OC 12GB Gaming @ 2175 MHz core - peak \ 20004 MHz mem
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD RAID 0
    SoundBlasterX AE-5 
    EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2
    Corsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Custom water cooling on CPU & GPU
    Acer XV272U 27" 2k 170Hz
    Dominique007
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Is it possible to bend or damage pins by inserting a memory module in DDR3 DIMM Connec 2020/05/22 08:18:27 (permalink)
    I'm perplexed.

I'm a senior electronic technician specialized in computers with a college diploma. I have built an incredible amount of systems over the last 28 years.

I also omitted to indicate that the actual pins in a DIMM connector - Socket are tensioned with a bend to contact the memory module contact pads on the sides. The pins have no jagged edges or ways of hooking. You could put a screwdriver in the socket - connector the pins will bend back and come back to their initial position. There is to my knowledge no way that a user could bend pins by inserting the proper memory module and even the wrong one just won't fit and get close to the pins. In development and engineering the term used is electrician proof.

I bent 4 pins at the first insertion of a memory module it seems. The memory module was a bit difficult to insert and I pushed it in firmly like all the other ones that I inserted. EVGA support management claims: "DIMM slots are tested in the factory thus they cannot arrive damaged to you, along the manufacturing process each component is tested on a motherboard, including the PCIe slots, CPU socket, etc."

I specified that memory sockets - connectors are designed and engineered to be fool proof. Asked them to send me a demonstration video on how the impossible task of bending pins can be accomplished that was obviously not followed up. I also asked them to consult with electronic technicians an electronic engineers to back up their claim if they do not have the technical knowledge with also no follow up.

100% quality control and no part failures of mechanical components like memory socket connectors are inexistant. There is always a human error factor.

We are talking about a connector - socket that costs less than a dollar when purchased in bulk. The only alternative that was proposed was to replace the motherboard. My warranty claim was refused as they claim without any doubt that its user damage.

To my perspective EVGA will find any unsubstantiated reason to back out of a warranty claim.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Is it possible to bend or damage pins by inserting a memory module in DDR3 DIMM Connec 2020/05/22 11:43:17 (permalink)
    Good luck, but I believe that you have no other recourse except legal action (not worth it), buying a new motherboard (unwanted expense), bending the pins back so that they work (if you can), or replacing the memory slot (shouldn't be too difficult for any experienced solderer with proper equipment).

I mean, it's already scrap with no warranty, might as well attempt to repair it.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/05/22 19:11:12

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile