Author
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 110
2012/07/19 10:58:31 (permalink)
*Note*
There is a sticky called "Project Lists" that has links to many of the different BOINC projects; overall there must be hundreds though.  Many of us started with World Community Grid but there are many others listed in that thread.  After signing up on those individual projects' sites, with your user name, and then joining the Crunching@EVGA team on the same site, then you go to step 2. Hope that clears up Step one (Thank you for your help with that wording Punchy!)

Also note, that these steps may change as the software develops. Please feel free to let me know as I do want to keep this thread up to date best we can. Thank you!

Step one...

• Start here... http://join.worldcommunitygrid.org?recruiterId=549285&teamId=3X6C6CKD02 
  • Go to each project(s) that you chose home page and create an account.
  • Then make any and all changes to that project you want made.
    • Gpu Usage? Type? (AMD or NVDIA or both)
    • CPU usage?
    • Internal project options, (Many have multiple projects available)
    • Once complete, "Then" add the project(s) to your BOINC Manager.
    • Each Computer will need one BOINC Manager installed. I only do certain project on certain Computers. This way I can leverage that particular computers strength and maximize the project efficiency. 
 The following is for those who might have missed a step in the above mentioned...

We have noticed a small item that has repeated a few times and would like to offer a friendly reminder.  

First and foremost welcome to your team and thank you for all that you have done and will do in Distributed Computing.

The item we keep seeing is not attaching your work to this team. Each time you start a new project, on that project page you need to search for the team name after creating the account for each project. 

Most of the projects use the same format. In the upper right panel on your main member page (Where you see all you info like Change Preferences/View tasks/ETC) see example below.

You have to search for the team name and then select add/join team.

Now once you have selected the team of your choice, each BOINC manager will see that change the next time you communicate to that project and adjust all future WU's. Keep in mind. All WU's retrieved and stored in BOINC waiting to process or are in process, will not be a part of the numbers for the team. Only new WU's retrieved after the change will take effect.

The best practice for all projects to not have this issue is...

• Create your user name/log in for project.
  • Search team name Crunching@EVGA. (Thank you z3r0t0l0rence )
  • Join Team name.
  • Adjust preferences to your liking for Work and Home (If you so desire)
  • Load BOINC.
  • Attach new project to BOINC.
  • Update new Project.
  • Sit back and enjoy 
Thank you for your help with this as we help humanity and climb the ranks. 

Step two...

Install BOINC Manager.

Now some of you may have done this part first. That is just fine actually. It is suggested to NOT add any project to the BOINC Manager until you have completed all of Step One is all...

• Download the version called "Recommended Version" for your platform (Windows, Linux, ETC) from this (Link Updated 05/23/2020 to version 7.16.5). 
  • Follow the installation process.
  • After downloading BOINC you must install it:
  • Save the file to disk.
  • Double-click on the file icon and or click on Run.
  • Now there are two views for the BOINC Manager. A simple View and an Advanced View. The majority of us use the Advanced View as this gives us all the flexibility we are looking for and "Data" of progress that is a bit easier to understand...

BOINC Manager..se Project

• Notice the two screen shots below. THis is where folks lose points on Crunching@EVGA. The first one allows you to create the user for the selected project. However as soon as you do, and "If" you forgot to add Crunching@EVGA to the project in the "Sign up" of this project, and did not select how you want the project to utilize your system... The BOINC Manager downloads right away the default settings and if that icludes GPU usage, it will download those WU's. It is best to do as suggested above and sign up for all projects, and set them up how you want them to be "First". That takes us to the second screen shot below as you have selected "Yes, existing user"... ***Please note... Yes I know it is asking for the "Email" address. I simply do not want to advertise my email, and used my user name in the screen shots so at least something was there***
BOINC Manager...r project

BOINC Manager...o Project

BOINC Manager...cessfully

• Now there are two views for the BOIN MAnager
  • Looking for a "One unit Mode" type for your BOINC Manager? (Link)

post edited by Afterburner - 2020/05/23 18:14:39

Attached Image(s)

z3r0t0l0rence
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9599
  • Ribbons : 20
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2012/07/19 13:34:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Afterburner

We have noticed a small item that has repeated a few times and would like to offer a friendly reminder. 

First and foremost welcome to your team and thank you for all that you have done and will do in Distributed Computing.

The item we keep seeing is not attaching your work to this team. Each time you start a new project, on that project page you need to search for the team name after creating the account for each project. 

Most of the projects use the same format. In the upper right panel on your main member page (Where you see all you info like Change Preferences/View tasks/ETC) see example below.

You have to search for the team name and then select add/join team.

Now once you have selected the team of your choice, each BOINC manager will see that change the next time you communicate to that project and adjust all future WU's. Keep in mind. All WU's retrieved and stored in BOINC waiting to process or are in process, will not be a part of the numbers for the team. Only new WU's retrieved after the change will take effect.

The best practice for all projects to not have this issue is...

• Create your user name/log in for project.
  • Search team name Crunching@EVGA.
  • Join Team name.
  • Adjust preferences to your liking for Work and Home (If you so desire)
  • Load BOINC.
  • Attach new project to BOINC.
  • Update new Project.
  • Sit back and enjoy 
Thank you for your help with this as we help humanity and climb the ranks. 

Added one thing just in case. 

i7 930 OC 4.21 
EVGA E758 
GSkill 12GB
Evga GTX 780 SC
2x Kingston 240 Raid 0
2x Seagate 4TB

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2012/07/19 15:06:53 (permalink)
Thank you thank you 

Sightbain
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2012/07/30 10:00:42 (permalink)
Good catch, thanks for the warning! Is it included in the how to start crunching faq like it is on the F@H forum?

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2012/09/21 09:13:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I updated this thread today to include BOINC Manager Installation Instructions. Please let me know if I need to add anything or if I missed anything. Thank you!!! 

rjbelans
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6223
  • Ribbons : 31
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2012/09/21 11:57:12 (permalink)
You might have to redo the image uploads. Looks like the forums are being flakey with them today.
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2012/09/21 16:33:13 (permalink)
I see that. Darn it. I used EVGA uploaded to prevent that issue. I will wait a day or two and see if it is a Server thing or not... And I will add them into a different provider if not...

jinihammerer
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1151
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2013/04/30 06:42:23 (permalink)
Hi....  as a total noob...

I think you should move step one to step two and add

Afterburner

Step one...

The link or links to go do all of the things in step 2.

Just saying. I have no clue where you want me to do these things.

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

Barbarossa
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5311
  • Ribbons : 25
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2013/04/30 06:51:29 (permalink)
Welcome!
Where do you get stuck?
AB in his guide is using an older version, so some things have changed (mainly optical, but some other stuff has moved around). The basic setup however is still the same.
It doesn´t matter whether you first install the manger and add a project, or first go to a projects web page and do the account setup and joining a team. I personally find it easier and less confusing joining a project through the manager, and then use the project link inside the managers "projects" tab.

My affiliate code

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2013/04/30 07:14:25 (permalink)
I think what Jini is pointing out is that if you don't already know what the projects are, step one doesn't make any sense.  There is a sticky called "Project Lists" that has links to many of the different BOINC projects; overall there must be hundreds though.  Many of us started with World Community Grid but there are many others listed in that thread.  After signing up on those individual projects' sites, with your user name, and then joining the Crunching@EVGA team on the same site, then you go to step 2.
post edited by Punchy - 2013/04/30 07:16:50

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2013/04/30 07:42:39 (permalink)
Reading all of this reminded me to turn on my BOINC client on my home machine.  It's been idle since March Madness and that just won't do!

Nice to see you Jini on the Crunching team... PM me and I'll send you some swag.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2013/04/30 07:57:00 (permalink)
Updated the first post 

jinihammerer
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1151
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2013/04/30 08:04:54 (permalink)
I will mess with this when i have time at home.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are very busy days for me. I wear a bunch of different hats for work, unfortunately only one of them actually pays.

I am a control systems engineer / site safety manager / webmaster / graphic artist / promotions committee chairperson.... and all my meetings happen on tuesday and wednesday.

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

madcattt
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/01/11 09:02:06 (permalink)
Hey all,
     So I just signed up for crunching with WCG and have the BOINC client downloaded onto both of my computers.  One thing I have noticed is unlike [link=mailto:F@H]F@H[/link] client I don't see any indication of the number of GPUs the client has detected, and which ones, if any, are in use.  I've got dual GTX 590s in my main rig, and usually when I'm gaming I pause my CPU and one of my GPU work units so that I don't have any resource issues.  I was just wondering if there was a way to configure my setup so I can crunch on my CPU and one of my GPUs while folding on the other three.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/01/11 09:04:12 (permalink)
I use BOINC Account Manager (BAM!) http://boincstats.com/en/bam/ as well.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5064
  • Ribbons : 22
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/01/11 09:29:30 (permalink)
Unless I've missed it, I don't think that BOINC, the Manager or the Profile settings at WCG will allow you to designate a single GPU for Crunching.  I think it will want to Crunch on all available GPUs in a given PC.  I know on the CPU side, within the WCG Device Manager settings, you can designate how many "Processor" threads you want to assign.  But, I've not seen any controls that govern just specific GPU devices.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/01/11 09:39:31 (permalink)
texinga
Unless I've missed it, I don't think that BOINC, the Manager or the Profile settings at WCG will allow you to designate a single GPU for Crunching.  I think it will want to Crunch on all available GPUs in a given PC.  I know on the CPU side, within the WCG Device Manager settings, you can designate how many "Processor" threads you want to assign.  But, I've not seen any controls that govern just specific GPU devices.

No, I have not found a way to as well. At least Folding you can.
I have only found a way to use less cores on my Crunching Rigs that only use CPU and Fold on the GPUs.

Has anyone found a way to setup GPUGRID to use one or two GPU, I have been looking but have not yet found a way.
I would like to Only Crunch on one or two of the 3 Cards I have installed.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/02/09 13:09:13

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

madcattt
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/01/11 10:46:24 (permalink)
Alright, thanks for the info.  I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing any specific setting somewhere.

kckinwa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/03 05:08:24 (permalink)
Ok so I am a complete noob when it comes to Crunching, ( I did not even know that it existed ) I have been folding for 3 years now and have been using 2 of my Pcs to fold, and now I stumbled across this thread and am like a kid in a candy store, ooh ooh ooh I gotta do that. Soooo I just built my 3rd rig and would like to toss some hardware at crunching, what ever that is.......BUT i do want to continue to fold as well. My system setups are as follows PC 1) Asus Maximus - Intel I-7 4770k - 2 EVGA GTX 760 FTW SLI -2 Samsung 840 pro 128 SSD's in raid 0 - 1 Samsung 840 Pro 512 SSD - WD Black 1 TB 64mb cache - 32 gig Corsair Vengeance 2400 - Rosewill 1000 watt PSU ( looking to upgrade to the EVGA 1000 P2 as soon as EVGA has them in stock )...... PC 2) EVGA X 58 Sli 3 - Intel I-7 960 - EVGA GTX 560 ti - 2 Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe SSD's in raid 0- WD Raptor 300 gig - 12 gig Mushkin Redline 1600..... PC 3) EVGA X 58 Sli - Intel I-7 920 - 12 gig Corsair Dominator 1600 - WD Black 1 TB 64mb cache - GTX 260. So what hardware would be most effective and doing what remember I still want to fold although the points have just risen to 1,500,000. max per month So I was thinking I would have to use 2 of my machines for folding to hit that number. Any advice would be great. PS as soon as I get my new PSU I will be more focused on crunching than folding, as I understand it folding is for medical research and crunching is for mining.....is that correct? If so then the crunching@ evga team is actually a pool and who is collecting the mined coin? Is it being distributed to its members or donated?  DISREGARD the last question I just looked it up it appears to be essentially FAH but with more options and not just proteins.
post edited by kckinwa - 2014/03/03 05:16:31

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/03 05:13:57 (permalink)
Pretty much any hardware is good... one thing you'll notice is Crunching isn't as hard on the system as folding is.  (Although a few Prime Grid WU's are a bear.)

I'm on a 3820 @ stock with 16 gigs of ram and 2 670's... works just fine.  I also have a 4 P machine (6168's) with 32 GIG of RAM waiting for a new drive to come in so I can move it to crunching.

As you can see it's just standard stuff for the most part.  The beauty of crunching is we don't get QRB for work.  It's straight points so there isn't a 'build it faster to get a better QRB mentality'.  You just install BOINC and roll...

As far as mining goes... there are some who do mine but Crunching didn't start as a mining operation but more like folding with a wide assortment of things you can Crunch... like Asteroids, Prime Numbers, Cancers etc.  We (at least that I am aware of) do not actually have a Crunching@EVGA mining operation.  Not officially any way.

post edited by Viper97 - 2014/03/03 05:16:16

kckinwa
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/03 05:18:37 (permalink)
Cool got it. I will get things rolling when I get home from work.
Thanks Viper97

Khalifrio
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/03 17:54:28 (permalink)
If your looking for projects that are doing similar work as F@H is you might give POEM@Home and GPU Grid a look. Both deal with proteins only they do more than looking at just folding. If your wanting to stick to Medical related projects your limited to GPU Grid for GPU WU's right now. Poem is working on getting some GPU WU's running but it hasn't happened yet.

How to say this... If your into points then look at GPU Grid. That project gives off the most points per each task/WU ran. The long run tasks are more rewarding than the short runs. On the CPU side of things the points rewards are pretty much even across the projects. Some are better than others but its not by much one way or the other.

On the hardware front you are good to go. Any of those i7 are going to do a good job. However, GPU wise your going to have issues on GPU Grid. Basically the newer they are the better they will work there.
post edited by Khalifrio - 2014/03/03 17:57:03

claytonwilliams
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 151
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/23 08:45:27 (permalink)
I'm sorry, new to this, I am tring to crunch for the pillage project but it doesn't seem like my gpu is workin as hard as it should. I don't know if i missed something in the setup r maybe it's just not as stressfull as foh. Any suggestions would be very helpful

cokeman54
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 962
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/23 09:16:21 (permalink)
claytonwilliams
I'm sorry, new to this, I am tring to crunch for the pillage project but it doesn't seem like my gpu is workin as hard as it should. I don't know if i missed something in the setup r maybe it's just not as stressfull as foh. Any suggestions would be very helpful

"Pretty much any hardware is good... one thing you'll notice is Crunching isn't as hard on the system as folding is" from Viper97. I had several tasks that used less than 80% of my GPU. Welcome to the darkside

claytonwilliams
Superclocked Member
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/23 09:29:07 (permalink)
ty for the quick reply, maybe the task i'm on doesnt use the gpu at all, it doesn't even seem to be using 5% haha i'll wait and see what happens when i get the next wu thank you again :)

or maybe my gpu is to old :( 

cokeman54
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 962
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/23 09:52:07 (permalink)
claytonwilliams
ty for the quick reply, maybe the task i'm on doesnt use the gpu at all, it doesn't even seem to be using 5% haha i'll wait and see what happens when i get the next wu thank you again :)

or maybe my gpu is to old :( 

Many projects only use CPU and some use both. At the project home page you chose what to use. To test and use GPU use the project GPUGRID and they have both short and long tasks that will use you GPU for crunching.

claytonwilliams
Superclocked Member
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/23 10:04:14 (permalink)
again ty, I'm just starting messing with it and really like the projects idea of the whole thing, thats why i went with the malaria project. I like the comunity aspect of the whole thing. i'll keep an eye out for more of the projects and see what i can do to help the team and everyone in general :)

Khalifrio
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/23 10:26:45 (permalink)
Welcome aboard Clayton!

On the Bio-Medical side of things your pretty much limited to running GPU Grid if you want a project that will use your GPU. Everything else is CPU. For now at least. There are a few projects that are waking up and realizing that utilizing a GPU will get more work done for their projects. Poem will probably be the next to offer work for GPU's. Poem actually had a GPU application before this but it had issues and they stopped using it and went back to the drawing board to start over again.

For CPU Bio-Medical related projects I recommend Poem, Simap, Docking, Rosetta, Malaria Control, Mind Modeling, and WCG has some projects that deal with Bio Med issues. Namely Mapping Cancer Markers and FightAIDS@Home. Intermittently they also run Help Fight Childhood Cancer and a few others.

On the Physical Sciences side of things there are some projects that will put your GPU to use. I know Asteroids, Seti, Milky Way, and some others have GPU applications.

claytonwilliams
Superclocked Member
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/03/24 14:02:18 (permalink)
I'm really enjoying working on the mc project and kinda watching my units increase!! I am getting some "high priority" tasks that seem to take control, is this a normal thing?

claytonwilliams
Superclocked Member
Re:Install Instructions for BOINC Manager with Crunching@EVGA 2014/04/16 17:59:15 (permalink)

post edited by claytonwilliams - 2014/04/16 20:02:10

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile