EVGA

How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan

Author
Bacender
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/11/02 18:19:21 (permalink)
Disclaimer: Modifying your BIOS can void your warranty. Pushing voltage values beyond manufacturer specifications can permanently damage your card and/or cause damage to your motherboard. Follow this guide at your own risk.

I did some searching and was unable to find any definitive threads on unlocking the fan / BIOS on my GTX680 without getting a lot of dead links and BIOS files for cards that didn't match my own. I found this method that worked very easily and is compatible with any kepler based GPU from any manufacturer. I have uploaded a zip file with the required tools here:

Edit: looks like this board has direct download links disabled.
Google: Kepler Bios Tweaker and download it from Guru3D. Then Google nvflash and download it from TechPowerUp. Once both files are downloaded, extract all the files from the nvflash zip, then place the KeplerBiosTweaker.exe file inside of the SAME folder as nvflash.
  1. Download the above links
  2. Open the folder and locate a file named "KeplerBiosTweaker.exe" and double click it
  3. Click "ReadBios"
  4. Select your graphics card by entering the number that corresponds to it and pressing enter. If you're running dual, tri or quad SLI just select the first card. In my case I've got 2 x GTX680.

5. KeplerBiosTweaker will open up
  6. Save a backup of your BIOS by clicking "Save BIOS As", place it in a safe location
  7. Modify your maximum fan speed from 85% to 100%
  8. Press "FlashBios" on the bottom right corner, next to "ReadBios" in step 3
  9. A dialogue will open up, press "Y"
  10. If you have dual, tri or quad SLI the same dialogue will open up for each card, just keep on pressing "Y" so that your other cards are flashed with the same BIOS. Only do this if all the cards you're flashing are the exact same card.
Restart your computer and your fan will be unlocked. You can also click the "voltages" tab to modify your voltage.

Hope that helps.
post edited by Bacender - 2013/11/03 16:59:43

25 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/02 20:22:11 (permalink)
    Two points you missed in your guide:

1) Always save a backup of your original BIOS.
    There must be a thousand posts on this forum in total where people changed their BIOS, didn't save a backup of the original, had problems, and can't find their original BIOS.

2) This will void your video card's warranty!
    Do this at your own risk!

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4130
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/02 20:47:11 (permalink)
    It only voids the warranty if you RMA it with a modded bios. You can always re-flash to the original bios and the warranty will still be valid. Like ty_ger07 said, make sure you backup your original BIOS before doing anything. You can use GPU-Z to backup the BIOS.

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    2x16GB GSkill DDR5 6400mhz
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    Seasonic 850w Titanium Power Supply
    Radiator: MO-RA3
    Water Blocks: EK Supreme HF Full Copper and EK Quantum Vector FTW3
    Pump/Res: XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir w/ MCP-655 Pump
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/02 20:53:24 (permalink)
    Bacender
    I did some searching and was unable to find any definitive threads on unlocking the fan / BIOS on my GTX680 without getting a lot of dead links and BIOS files for cards that didn't match my own. I found this method that worked very easily and is compatible with any kepler based GPU from any manufacturer. I have uploaded a zip file with the required tools here:

Edit: looks like this board has direct download links disabled D:
    Google: Kepler Bios Tweaker and download it from Guru3D. Then Google nvflash and download it from TechPowerUp. Once both files are downloaded, extract all the files from the nvflash zip, then place the KeplerBiosTweaker.exe file inside of the SAME folder as nvflash.
    1. Download the above links
    2. Open the folder and locate a file named "KeplerBiosTweaker.exe" and double click it
    3. Click "ReadBios"
    4. Select your graphics card by entering the number that corresponds to it and pressing enter. If you're running dual, tri or quad SLI just select the first card. In my case I've got 2 x GTX680.

5. KeplerBiosTweaker will open up
    6. Modify your maximum fan speed from 85% to 100%
    7. Press "FlashBios" on the bottom right corner, next to "ReadBios" in step 3
    8. A dialogue will open up, press "Y"
    9. If you have dual, tri or quad SLI the same dialogue will open up for each card, just keep on pressing "Y" so that your other cards are flashed with the same BIOS. Only do this if all the cards you're flashing are the exact same card.
    Restart your computer and your fan will be unlocked. You can also click the "voltages" tab to modify your voltage.

Hope that helps.

That's great and all (and old news) but simply increasing the max fan speed allowed to 100% screws up the fan profile in the BIOS and how it operates at various temps.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Bacender
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/02 23:28:29 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi

That's great and all (and old news) but simply increasing the max fan speed allowed to 100% screws up the fan profile in the BIOS and how it operates at various temps.

Why did you quote my entire post?

Anyway regarding your point -- You can modify your fan curve manually via EVGA PrecisionX to accomodate the new fan speed. I've been using it with BF4 for the last few days and no issues.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/02 23:37:45 (permalink)
    OV3RCLK4
    It only voids the warranty if you RMA it with a modded bios. You can always re-flash to the original bios and the warranty will still be valid. Like ty_ger07 said, make sure you backup your original BIOS before doing anything. You can use GPU-Z to backup the BIOS.

But when you do it, the warranty is void, right?  And you would use a warranty because a product is broken.  And if a product is broken, you can't flash the BIOS back.  It's easier to just say "it voids your warranty -- do at your own risk".

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 00:05:42 (permalink)
    Bacender
    HeavyHemi

Why did you quote my entire post?

Anyway regarding your point -- You can modify your fan curve manually via EVGA PrecisionX to accomodate the new fan speed. I've been using it with BF4 for the last few days and no issues.

Considering I am aware of what modifying the stock fan settings in the BIOS does I'm also aware of how to use Precision/Afterburner, and have had some small miniscule part in helping out Unwinder, the developer.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Yordan159753
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 01:19:33 (permalink)
    Can I set the boost clocks and power target higher and does it work for unlocking a power target of 150% instead of 135%? I'm using a gtx 690.
    OV3RCLK4
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4130
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 01:10:27 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    OV3RCLK4

But when you do it, the warranty is void, right?  And you would use a warranty because a product is broken.  And if a product is broken, you can't flash the BIOS back.  It's easier to just say "it voids your warranty -- do at your own risk".

Good point. You may get lucky and only end up having a defect on the card instead of it being completely dead. Then you might still be able to flash it back. But if it dies with a modded bios on it. You're screwed!

I used the Kepler Bios tool to increase my voltage and power target. Tested it out and it wasn't worth it so I flashed it back using the GTX 670 firmware update here on the forums.

MSI Unify X
    i9 12900k @ 5.2ghz
    2x16GB GSkill DDR5 6400mhz
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    Seasonic 850w Titanium Power Supply
    Radiator: MO-RA3
    Water Blocks: EK Supreme HF Full Copper and EK Quantum Vector FTW3
    Pump/Res: XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir w/ MCP-655 Pump
    Bacender
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 01:38:30 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Considering I am aware of what modifying the stock fan settings in the BIOS does I'm also aware of how to use Precision/Afterburner, and have had some small miniscule part in helping out Unwinder, the developer.

Then what is your point exactly? Why bring it up if it's so trivially easy to modify your fan profile with PrecisionX, seeing as how you're so shmart n stuff.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 01:50:49 (permalink)
    But if the product is sooo broken that you cant boot it in anyway to reflash it, then its not gonna matter what bios is on it.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Tyraele
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 11:06:02 (permalink)
    Bacender

Then what is your point exactly? Why bring it up if it's so trivially easy to modify your fan profile with PrecisionX, seeing as how you're so shmart n stuff.

Being derogatory and condescending is the quickest way to get everyone to stop listening to you.  A good portion of us already know how to do this (the method has been around for some time). That being said, if you do not understand how this affects the BIOS (or UEFI) when it comes to regulating your graphics cards voltages, the fan speed, and etc, it is probably not a good idea to modify the BIOS itself.  There are several places on different forums where people are having issues because they messed something up because they did not have full knowledge of what exactly they were doing and how it affects their components.  

That being said, when you post things like this, you should probably include these disclaimers yourself.  Proliferation of information is great, but it needs to be all the relevant information, which includes warnings and cautions for the lay user.

As to the meat of your post, PrecisionX has to be running in order to modify your fan profile.  If it is not running, then it cannot modify anything.  The OS takes whatever is reported to it by the BIOS and adjusts things according to the parameters that are specified in its code.  If the modification (whatever it may be) does something that alters the default parameters of a component, then you can expect unusual behavior.  PrecisionX can change that (because it has direct access to the component), but as I said it has to be running.

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master rev 1.2 CPU: R9-3900XT Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo 128 GB 3200MHz SSD: Samsung 970 EVO GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 PQ Case: Cosmos C700P Black Edition
    deanjwprime
    • Total Posts : 36
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 16:05:54 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for the unlock fan speed, I used it on my 660 Ti, works great now that my fan will go to 100% . :) card is cooler when I play Skyrim.

Antec 601 ARGB Case
    EVGA X299 Micro 1.24
    EVGA RTX 2070 FTW3
    32GB DDR4 2666 G.Skill RipJaws 16-16-16-36
    Intel i9-9820X Skylake Processor
    EVGA CLC 280 Liquid Cooler
    M.2 SSD 1TB Gammix Pro S11
    EVGA 750 SuperNova GA PS
    RazerChroma keyboard, RazerDeathAdder Mouse
    Win10 Pro 64Bit 2004
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 16:14:10 (permalink)
    wmmills
    But if the product is sooo broken that you cant boot it in anyway to reflash it, then its not gonna matter what bios is on it.

Don't be ignorant and don't support malicious actions.

If you RMA a card with a custom BIOS, you are doing something which is both immoral and illegal.  Additionally, you are selfishly increasing the costs of future products for everyone.

I am not sure if EVGA will catch your custom BIOS, but they forward their "defects" to NVIDIA who does catch your custom BIOS.  The card does not need to work in order to read the BIOS EEPROM chip.  The chip can be connected to by external means and its data can be read.

But if the product is sooo broken ...

You have to ask yourself why it broke in the first place.  Did your custom BIOS contribute to the problem?  Did you give it too much voltage and overheat it too much?  Can you be absolutely sure that your modifications did not contribute in any way to the card no longer working?

If your modification changed the card in any way (which obviously it did), you cannot be certain that you did not contribute to the failure of the card and therefore you cannot in good conscious replace the card under warranty.

You chose to modify the card and you should choose to throw the card in the garbage when it breaks and buy a new one at your own expense.  That is morality and character.  That is why all these guides SHOULD have a disclaimer and usually DO have a disclaimer.

I personally have modified many many many of my cards and I have not replaced a single one under warranty because I take responsibility for my actions.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2013/11/03 16:23:05

giltyler
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 16:45:04 (permalink)
    What is the point of coming on to the EVGA site and asking in a nut shell how to void your warranty, If precision in its stock form does not give the performance you need buy a more powerful card.
    There is an old Store keepers saying If you break it you bought it

MY RIG
    ASUS X99 A II
    INTEL I7-5930K 4.8 @ 1.258 V
    32 GIG VENGEANCE LED 3000
    SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG
    SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256 GIG
    SEAGATE 1 TB 7200 RPM
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 
    EVGA 1000P

giltyler on HeatWare
    Bacender
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/03 17:18:29 (permalink)
    Added disclaimer.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/05 05:11:13 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    wmmills

If you RMA a card with a custom BIOS, you are doing something which is both immoral and illegal.  Additionally, you are selfishly increasing the costs of future products for everyone.

I am not sure if EVGA will catch your custom BIOS, but they forward their "defects" to NVIDIA who does catch your custom BIOS.  The card does not need to work in order to read the BIOS EEPROM chip.  The chip can be connected to by external means and its data can be read.

You have to ask yourself why it broke in the first place.  Did your custom BIOS contribute to the problem?  Did you give it too much voltage and overheat it too much?  Can you be absolutely sure that your modifications did not contribute in any way to the card no longer working?

If your modification changed the card in any way (which obviously it did), you cannot be certain that you did not contribute to the failure of the card and therefore you cannot in good conscious replace the card under warranty.

You chose to modify the card and you should choose to throw the card in the garbage when it breaks and buy a new one at your own expense.  That is morality and character.  That is why all these guides SHOULD have a disclaimer and usually DO have a disclaimer.

I personally have modified many many many of my cards and I have not replaced a single one under warranty because I take responsibility for my actions.

Im far from unaware or uninformed, so being ignorant is not what im doing. I was just making a logical distinction. I don't support it either way nor make a claim to. My asking if the product was soooo broken.... was my quietly alluding that there are alternate ways to get the bios info for those with the equipment/know how etc... I didn't want to go into specific details cause I felt that would make things worse and tbh, it wasn't really needed in the thought I was trying to get across. Most on here who have dabbled in PC's long enough know the techniques and alternatives. As far as everything you said about how it would have broken I agree with and I will add that ive also never had to rma a card or mobo to evga or any other company yet for myself.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/05 07:19:33 (permalink)
    I think I misunderstood you.  Also sorry about the rant, but the examples of lack of character and morality in the enthusiast space bothers me a lot.

To be clear, I have broken cards I have modified but I have never tried to RMA them and hope that no one will find out.

SeanEJohan
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1406
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/05 08:26:31 (permalink)
    Honestly altering the fan speed max from 80-100% does nothing for me, since my fans have yet to see past 68% fan speed to date. Adding voltage to the already 1.175 max is not necessary, my 670 FTWs run 1319mhz core fine with the standard 1.175 voltage locked with K-boost.
    These mods are not needed, nor recommended.
    post edited by SeanEJohan - 2013/11/05 08:29:15

i5 2500k Sandy Bridge@5.0ghz@1.455Vcore
    Msi Z68a-GD-55 Military Class II board
    2 Evga 670 GTX FTW 2Gb versions@1320/3707 -1280/3707/145% power target/k-boost locked
    Hyper 212 Plus cooler push /pull
    Corsair HX850 watt psu (80% Gold)                                    
    G-skill Ripjaws 1600mhz memory (9-9-9-24) 4 x 4gig(16 gig)       
    Intel Cherryville 520 SSD (240gb) 
    Intel Maplecrest 330 SSD (120gb)
    BenQ 2420TE 144hz/1ms/with Lightboost/Motion Blur/ Flicker-Free Technology/ Multimode FPS-RTS/Nvidia 3D Vision 2
    Antec 300 case w/ 7 fans 
    6x 120mm Sickleflow Green LED 2k rpm fans
    1x 140mm Roswell Hyperborea 1300rpm fan
    Logitech gear G9/G15
    Firestrike score- http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1947312
    3Dmark11- http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6795820[/p
    SeanEJohan
    FTW Member
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/05 08:31:45 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    wmmills

LOL@ another rant-fest from Ty-ger07................12 year old's..............
    post edited by SeanEJohan - 2013/11/05 08:33:52

2 Evga 670 GTX FTW 2Gb versions@1320/3707 -1280/3707/145% power target/k-boost locked
    BenQ 2420TE 144hz/1ms/with Lightboost/Motion Blur/ Flicker-Free Technology/ Multimode FPS-RTS/Nvidia 3D Vision 2
    Antec 300 case w/ 7 fans 
    Logitech gear G9/G15
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/05 08:58:53 (permalink)
    SeanEJohan
    ty_ger07
    wmmills

LOL@ another rant-fest from Ty-ger07................12 year old's..............

I see you quoted the one post but not the other.  That is fairly one-sided, isn't it?

What I said is true and I am 12 going on 30.

Bacender
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/06 07:29:51 (permalink)
    Lots of tension in this thread for what amounts to nothing more than a straight forward method of unlocking your fan.

I don't see how that could cause any undue stress on your card or make it more failure prone. The GTX480 got slammed by all reviewers for running too hot and too loud -- I'm sure the reference boards for the GTX6 series had a 85% fan limit imposed on them in order to keep the card quiet for the reviewers... A GTX680's fan running at 100% is ridiculously loud, more so if you're running SLi.

Either way, considering EVGA released official BIOS unlocks for the GTX5 series, i don't see how this poses such a large issue, aside from some people pushing their volts too high... which i'm sure would be easy to spot if EVGA were to receive a cooked card.

SeanEJohan
    Honestly altering the fan speed max from 80-100% does nothing for me, since my fans have yet to see past 68% fan speed to date. Adding voltage to the already 1.175 max is not necessary, my 670 FTWs run 1319mhz core fine with the standard 1.175 voltage locked with K-boost.

All respect to your situation, but you're running a nerfed card in (i'm assuming) a colder climate.

I'm in Australia, it's currently summer, and my cards running at stock can push nearly 100°C when playing Battlefield 4. The 100% fan unlock helps keep my temps below 80°C.
    post edited by Bacender - 2013/11/06 07:34:58
    SeanEJohan
    FTW Member
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/07 19:01:51 (permalink)
    Bacender
    Lots of tension in this thread for what amounts to nothing more than a straight forward method of unlocking your fan.

I don't see how that could cause any undue stress on your card or make it more failure prone. The GTX480 got slammed by all reviewers for running too hot and too loud -- I'm sure the reference boards for the GTX6 series had a 85% fan limit imposed on them in order to keep the card quiet for the reviewers... A GTX680's fan running at 100% is ridiculously loud, more so if you're running SLi.

Either way, considering EVGA released official BIOS unlocks for the GTX5 series, i don't see how this poses such a large issue, aside from some people pushing their volts too high... which i'm sure would be easy to spot if EVGA were to receive a cooked card.

SeanEJohan

All respect to your situation, but you're running a nerfed card in (i'm assuming) a colder climate.

I'm in Australia, it's currently summer, and my cards running at stock can push nearly 100°C when playing Battlefield 4. The 100% fan unlock helps keep my temps below 80°C.

That sucks to hear man, even when its 105F here in Chicago my cards stay well under 60C and under 68% fan speed. You don't have air conditioning? I'm not sure what a nerfed card is?? The 670 FTW is a 680 with one SMX unit turned off, the 670 FTW has the 680 fan/heatsink/cooler as well as a 8 phase VRM, so basically the 670 FTW is more a 680 than a 670. I wouldn't call it a nerfed card, as I beat 85% of 680 sli scores in Valley 1.0 leaderboard

post edited by SeanEJohan - 2013/11/07 19:11:03

Antec 300 case w/ 7 fans 
    Logitech gear G9/G15
    Tyraele
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/08 00:22:14 (permalink)
    Bacender

I thought about going into a discussion about entropy and thermodynamics after reading this, but I digress.  The easiest way to reduce component temperatures is to lower the ambient temperature.

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master rev 1.2 CPU: R9-3900XT Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo 128 GB 3200MHz SSD: Samsung 970 EVO GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 PQ Case: Cosmos C700P Black Edition
    Bacender
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/11 04:12:22 (permalink)
    SeanEJohan

That sucks to hear man, even when its 105F here in Chicago my cards stay well under 60C and under 68% fan speed. You don't have air conditioning? I'm not sure what a nerfed card is?? The 670 FTW is a 680 with one SMX unit turned off, the 670 FTW has the 680 fan/heatsink/cooler as well as a 8 phase VRM, so basically the 670 FTW is more a 680 than a 670. I wouldn't call it a nerfed card, as I beat 85% of 680 sli scores in Valley 1.0 leaderboard

Fair enough -- I was not aware of the reference board similarities.

Tyraele

I thought about going into a discussion about entropy and thermodynamics after reading this, but I digress.  The easiest way to reduce component temperatures is to lower the ambient temperature.

I'm unable to do that at the moment. Air con is too expensive to run throughout the day as my house is central ducted and i've got an old ait-con that uses a obscene amount of electricity.
    Tyraele
    Re: How to unlock kepler GTX 6 series BIOS & fan 2013/11/12 23:27:38 (permalink)

Use one or more 2 liter bottles and fill them mostly full of (water - 70%) & (rock salt - 10%) (air - 20% for expansion) (the salt brings the temp of the frozen water down to a lower ºF), freeze them, then place them in a large bowl (to catch dripping condensation). Position a fan to blow on them. As the salty ice in the bottles melts, the air cools around them. The fan will blow that air at you. The water & salt in the bottles can be refrozen every night and used again repeatedly.

Taken from wikihow.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile