EVGA

How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work?

Author
himmatsj
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 381
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/05/21 00:25:56 (permalink)
I'm trying to understand the airflow of my PC, and I have everything figured except the GPU. It's located at the bottom facing down. I assume it is in taking air from the PCIE slots at the bottom rear of the PC or from within the case or from small holes in the case. But, where does it exhaust the hot air?

This is a single fan GTX 960. Does it exhaust the air out the back, or does air escape into the case from the sides of the heat Sink? I'm trying to find a diagram but can't find any.

Also, theoretically speaking, if the GPU core temps are 80C, what would the likely exhaust air temperature be?

Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

himmatsj
    iCX Member
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 00:45:31 (permalink)
    Also, I would like to know, what's the size of the GPU fan usually. 80mm or 92mm or something else?
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 8858
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 01:03:59 (permalink)
    If your graphics card has the typical "blower" design, i.e. like this picture or the one below, then it is the fan that sucks in the air and blows it out through the back where the video ports are-- this you can feel with your hand when the machine is on.  The fan itself is sometimes called an impeller or a centrifugal fan, meaning it sucks in the center where the motor is and blows outwards away from the fan blades themselves.  But there is an internal ducting such that most of that air flow exits in one direction, across the metal heatsink that the GPU is in contact with.  The following is a picture of a GTX770 with the shroud removed, but all "blower" designs are pretty similar on the inside:

If you wanted to, and no it wouldn't void your warranty (though you ought to be very careful when doing so), you could just remove your own graphics card shroud (the plastic cover) and inspect it.  But it will still look like the above picture.  But because the impeller fan isn't as a standard chassis fan, you can't just replace it with an existing axial flow fan (the types that are designed to have air flow through them as if they were airplane propellers). 

As for your theoretical question, that subject is the science of heat transfer and there are dozens of book and degrees on the subject.  Fact is, no, the GPU sensor temperature will never be the same as the heated exhaust, you can prove this by putting a thermometer at the exit of the GPU's heated airflow.  They won't measure the same.  This is because every metal, plastic and thermal grease part that make the graphics card is absorbing energy along the way, when they do so their own temperature goes up, but since not all of it dumps into the air flow, then the air itself won't raise temperature as much.

Just so you know, 100% energy transfer means nothing is absorbed at the source and everything is dumped, i.e. the GPU temp would always read ambient; we know this is impossible as demonstrated by every heatsink we've ever made.  The only reason the sensor will read a temperature above the ambient is because something is being absorbed and the rest is dumping into the air flow.
    post edited by lehpron - 2016/05/21 01:07:21

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    himmatsj
    iCX Member
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 04:38:32 (permalink)
    No I have the normal single-fan graphics card. The short card. Not above.
    ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 05:20:17 (permalink)
    The single-fan 960 will draw air in through the fan, then due to the heatsink fins running parallel to the length, vent air through the rear of the card at the ports and at the front edge of the card.

The ACX cards have the fins perpendicular to the card's long side, and vent hot air through the top and bottom.

himmatsj
    iCX Member
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 09:06:19 (permalink)
    EVGATech_ErinW
    The single-fan 960 will draw air in through the fan, then due to the heatsink fins running parallel to the length, vent air through the rear of the card at the ports and at the front edge of the card.

The ACX cards have the fins perpendicular to the card's long side, and vent hot air through the top and bottom.

Are the two following diagrams accurate?

Single fan: http://i.imgur.com/cllktGP.jpg

Dual fan: http://i.imgur.com/kdhOlhA.jpg

If the above is correct, then for the single fan, is more air exhausted via the rear (at the ports) or the front back into the case?

So does this mean single fan models actually work better in terms of expelling the hot air, especially for cases with poor airflow?
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38516
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 10:33:53 (permalink)
    Yes ^  As I posted here for you http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2473087 

Exhaust out Front & Rear

Exhaust out Top & Bottom
     Hot Air Exhaust out the Rear
     post edited by bcavnaugh - 4 weeks ago

& Here http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2473189

post edited by bcavnaugh - 4 weeks ago
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/05/21 11:27:50

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

himmatsj
    iCX Member
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 11:15:33 (permalink)
    Interesting. But your arrows seem confusing.

So does the single fan push more outside or inside the case, or equally the same?
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38516
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: How does the intake and exhaust of a GPU work? 2016/05/21 11:22:27 (permalink)
    himmatsj
    Interesting. But your arrows seem confusing.

So does the single fan push more outside or inside the case, or equally the same?

Blue is Cool Air Intake and Red is Hot Air Exhaust.
    "equally the same" for the most part.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile