Gamers Nexus Report

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 00:40:48 (permalink)
ty_ger07
acxcoolerssuck
the vrm may go over 110C under highest possible loading [when] some may try asus t4 bios or flash higher power limit bios or shorting shunts in order to get rid of power throttling, considered ftw is a enthusiastic card for enthusiasts, if ten phases are not marketing gimmick.

If you buy a FTW card to break world records (why would you use a FTW for that anyway?) and are voiding your warranty with BIOS mods and soldered physical modifications to the card, I am sure that you will also be cooling the card better.  Voiding your warranty and physically modifying the card to push the limits of the VRM isn't really the subject of this thread.

there is nothing to do with breaking world record. for breaking record ppl should go for classified and use the classified voltage tool to raise the voltage beyond the bios limitation. some just dislike the stupid gpu 3.0 boost and want to get the max performance from what they have bought. especially when evga ftw 1070 has only 226w max power limit on the stock bios resulting in power throttling. 
that is what dual bios does. flashing bios is safe, and once you can restore to original bios before rma then it is fine. i personally dont recommend shorting shunts by using liquid ultra (no hard mod is needed) and shorting shunts by using liquid ultra in general can be restored too. 

my subject is clear, it is all about vrm cooling, 110c is fine and not failure but the current output will be lower very much. and i am only asking evga for keeping the vrm temp to be under 100c for getting 35a per mosfet. if acx3.0 cant do it, then it is rubbish to me. if raising the fan speed to 2000rpm can do it, then it is fine, but acx3.0 is not strong enough as what the marketing promotion claimed, which is fine for me, and acceptable.
ilyama
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 341
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 04:49:23 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I am "claimed".

"It is dumb.  It is stupid." Sure, whatever.  Actually, the MOSFETs tended to run under 100c according to Nexus's report with the default BIOS, default thermal pads, and highest possible load at stock settings.  And, as we know, 100c isn't really a big issue for these MOSFETs in the first place. But, whatever.  Just ignore those facts and dive off the deep end on some fanciful rant.

Everything EVGA did as a service to its customers by releasing a newer BIOS and by providing extra thermal pads was not really necessary in the first place and has actually damaged EVGA's reputation by making people think that EVGA is guilty of something, or has done something wrong, or made an error in its design.  It's really quite nasty the way people talk around here and demand things.  Somebody released a scare article which passed around the internet, EVGA reassured people that it really wasn't an issue and that their testing conclusively proved more than once that it wasn't an issue, but said that they would release free improvements to those who were still concerned.  Maybe EVGA would have been better off by not providing free extra thermal pads or an additional BIOS option.  At least that way, people wouldn't assume that EVGA has a guilty conscience.

As far as anyone who has thoroughly researched the issue can tell, there is/was nothing wrong with the design of the card; and the extremely small percentage of people who have had this "burning up" or "blowing up" issue, were affected by a manufacturing defect which is no more common in this product series than in any product series previously.  It has all become massively overblown.  If you do some searches online, you will find many card models from many card manufacturers with the exact same sort of burns for years or decades in the past.  It is "normal" in the sense of this imperfect world we live in surrounded by imperfect humans.

Move along.

+1 to everything, nice post here ! ;)

I think too that was a little mistake to make the pads solution... everybody thinks that's a fault from evga now... 

When I see all the people saying 'where's my pad, where's my pad" but we dont need it ! 

When I see too all the tests on those cards, I'm new sure at 100%, there isnt a real issue with our cards... we can just say they are not the best cards for temperatures in this generation, nothing more !!!
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21202
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 06:52:28 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
ty_ger07
acxcoolerssuck
the vrm may go over 110C under highest possible loading [when] some may try asus t4 bios or flash higher power limit bios or shorting shunts in order to get rid of power throttling, considered ftw is a enthusiastic card for enthusiasts, if ten phases are not marketing gimmick.

If you buy a FTW card to break world records (why would you use a FTW for that anyway?) and are voiding your warranty with BIOS mods and soldered physical modifications to the card, I am sure that you will also be cooling the card better.  Voiding your warranty and physically modifying the card to push the limits of the VRM isn't really the subject of this thread.

there is nothing to do with breaking world record. for breaking record ppl should go for classified and use the classified voltage tool to raise the voltage beyond the bios limitation. some just dislike the stupid gpu 3.0 boost and want to get the max performance from what they have bought. especially when evga ftw 1070 has only 226w max power limit on the stock bios resulting in power throttling. 
that is what dual bios does. flashing bios is safe, and once you can restore to original bios before rma then it is fine. i personally dont recommend shorting shunts by using liquid ultra (no hard mod is needed) and shorting shunts by using liquid ultra in general can be restored too. 

my subject is clear, it is all about vrm cooling, 110c is fine and not failure but the current output will be lower very much. and i am only asking evga for keeping the vrm temp to be under 100c for getting 35a per mosfet. if acx3.0 cant do it, then it is rubbish to me. if raising the fan speed to 2000rpm can do it, then it is fine, but acx3.0 is not strong enough as what the marketing promotion claimed, which is fine for me, and acceptable.

I can't reason with you.  Ok, fine, you are right.  Lol.  If you modify your video card BIOS, solder jumpers across the video card's shunt resistors "just for fun" (not for overclocking reasons at all), and glue on a 2000 watt electric heater to the back of the card, then yes it might catch fire.  There, you are right.  Are you happy?  Somehow, yes, that is EVGA's fault.

Please do the math and tell my why you would ever need 35A per MOSFET in the first place.  Do you think you can get 350 watts of load out of the card?  Oh, sorry, I forgot that you are right and that all the wires you are soldering to the card "for fun" will require more power.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/11/26 07:04:29

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 08:01:17 (permalink)
ty_ger07
acxcoolerssuck
ty_ger07
acxcoolerssuck

I can't reason with you.  Ok, fine, you are right.  Lol.  If you modify your video card BIOS, solder jumpers across the video card's shunt resistors "just for fun" (not for overclocking reasons at all), and glue on a 2000 watt electric heater to the back of the card, then yes it might catch fire.  There, you are right.  Are you happy?  Somehow, yes, that is EVGA's fault.

Please do the math and tell my why you would ever need 35A per MOSFET in the first place.  Do you think you can get 350 watts of load out of the card?  Oh, sorry, I forgot that you are right and that all the wires you are soldering to the card "for fun" will require more power.

pathetic...

fyi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Qi8fxIi_Y
http://www.overclock.net/...many-other-nvidia-gpus

btw, you should ask evga why ftw 1070 has only 226w power max with such high grade mosfet used on the pcb (in total 350w @ 100c), lol. why do general end users need this, lol. not to mention the dt cards lol.
post edited by acxcoolerssuck - 2016/11/26 08:05:59
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 08:41:13 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
btw, you should ask evga why ftw 1070 has only 226w power max ...

Because they didn't want the card to burn up.  They decided on a limit.  They designed all the components around that limit.  That is what engineering is.

As we (mostly) all agree, the card has limits and is operating properly within those limits.  You are coming along and purposely trying to ruin the card in your analogies and then trying to find a reason to say it would hypothetically be EVGA's fault.  

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

evgauser28764
Superclocked Member
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 09:22:20 (permalink)
ty_ger07
acxcoolerssuck

Because they didn't want the card to burn up.  They decided on a limit.  They designed all the components around that limit.  That is what engineering is.

As we (mostly) all agree, the card has limits and is operating properly within those limits.  You are coming along and purposely trying to ruin the card in your analogies and then trying to find a reason to say it would hypothetically be EVGA's fault.  

keep endorsing evga in you way.
like what samsung did and blamed to the note 7 users.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 09:24:12 (permalink)
acxcoolerssuck
ty_ger07
acxcoolerssuck

keep endorsing evga in you way.
like what samsung did and blamed to the note 7 users.

Dude...  I don't even know what to say any more.  You are on your own.  Go ahead and spread whatever crazy hate you want.  I think most people will see through it and know that your opinion isn't very valid in these types of conversations.  That's obviously the reason you are here.  I mean, look at your user name after all.  You are unable to use logic or make a sensible argument which doesn't spiral in circles.  There is no reason for me to carry on a conversation with someone who is illogical or who has ulterior motives.

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6917
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 09:39:17 (permalink)
It's like trying to show facts to a liberal. Most will just keep on insisting that their feelings trump (no pun intended) any amount of hard facts.

Nothing that you can do besides state the facts, link the proof, and move on.
tabrez7
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 20:54:10 (permalink)
so, if its really the bad capacitors issue.. may i know form which batch of shipped cards  they fixed it??
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 22:20:13 (permalink)
tabrez7
so, if its really the bad capacitors issue.. may i know form which batch of shipped cards  they fixed it??

It's random.  If you own the video card and it does or does not fail, then I guess you will know the answer.  A very small percentage of video cards will fail unexpectedly early in their life.

These things have been burning up for decades.  I don't know why it is all the sudden on people's radar now.

loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/26 22:40:01 (permalink)
tabrez7

Doubt it is a batch or lot. If by the report given is true, the number of bad cards are within normal failure rates. Then it is just the advent of the internet and with everyone over reacting.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Final EVGA VRM Torture Test: VRM Thermals Not the Killer of Cards 2016/11/27 00:26:43 (permalink)
Can someone tell me, what is culprit at the end.
Poor design of VRM as chokes, capacitors, controllers, regulators or lack of thermal pads or contact surface.
I think only pads can't do nothing if they couldn't help to heat transfer on other surface. 
If poor design is culprit why people wait thermal pads and why EVGA spend money to send them to customers.
Than only solution is to people wait and see what will happen and EVGA will replace damaged products.
RMA rate will not be bigger than 1%.

But one thing is not clear for me, next year will show up some other company with exactly same problem or very similar and that's weirdest things.
We talk in previous years how much ASUS suffer because they installed cooler design for GeForce Kepler on R9-290X and lack of heatsinks over VRM cause highest temps on market and no one didn't learn lesson from that and no one will learn lesson now after this. Maybe that will not happen to EVGA but with some other company 100% in next 2-3 years, exactly same. 
post edited by Vlada011 - 2016/11/27 00:31:47

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Final EVGA VRM Torture Test: VRM Thermals Not the Killer of Cards 2016/11/27 00:31:54 (permalink)
Vlada011
Poor design of VRM as chokes, capacitors, controllers, regulators or lack of thermal pads or contact surface.
I think only pads can't do nothing if they couldn't help to heat transfer on other surface. 
If poor design is culprit why people wait thermal pads and why EVGA spend money to send them to customers.
Than only solution is to people wait and see what will happen and EVGA will replace damaged products.

There is no culprit issue with the cards. The culprit, is us, as an over enthusiastic community who demands to much. The failure rate is normal compared to previous cards according the information in the article.

I will say, to fail on cooling the VRM, is stupid.Who ever engineered the cooler I hope has learned their lesson.
Rules on making a cooler. Does the component on the PCB generate heat? If yes, cool it.
post edited by loveha - 2016/11/27 00:37:14

Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
lebel
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 224
Re: Final EVGA VRM Torture Test: VRM Thermals Not the Killer of Cards 2016/11/27 00:42:30 (permalink)
loveha
Vlada011

There is no culprit issue with the cards. The culprit, is us, as an over enthusiastic community who demands to much. The failure rate is normal compared to previous cards according the information in the article.

I will say, to fail on cooling the VRM, is stupid.Who ever engineered the cooler I hope has learned their lesson.
Rules on making a cooler. Does the component on the PCB generate heat? If yes, cool it.

Well said...

Phanteks Evolve ATX TG / Asus Z170 Pro / I7 6700K delid-Liquid Pro / Corsair H115i push-pull / 32gb Corsair 3000mhz / Asus Strix 1080 A8G / 3 x Samsung Evo 500gb / Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w / ASUS ROG PG279
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: Final EVGA VRM Torture Test: VRM Thermals Not the Killer of Cards 2016/11/27 01:07:40 (permalink)
lebel
loveha
Vlada011

There is no culprit issue with the cards. The culprit is us, as an over enthusiastic community who demands to much. The failure rate is normal compared to previous cards according the information in the article.

Well said...

Very well said. I would almost consider loveha's statement an under-statement; but very well said and nails it on point.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2016/11/27 01:21:23

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
dexters
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Final EVGA VRM Torture Test: VRM Thermals Not the Killer of Cards 2016/11/27 16:38:28 (permalink)
If failure is due to bad batch of capacitors and is standard , and the not thermal pad issue was an oversight that probably isn't the cause of the cards combusting, then going with EVGA seems to be the best solution here as the aftercare is pretty good.

That said, I was also the victim of the black screen 100% fan issue; at least 2 people at the same store had that issue , so that I think was what really kicked things off for people.
Bad luck with a bad batch of VRM, followed by the announcement of high temps + BIOS update and optional pads,  amplified reports of cards going up in flames.

It's a bad luck triple threat for EVGA this year.  At least  1 of those things they had control over however, so they are not completely blameless.

i7 6700k @4.6 GHZ \ GTX 1080 FTW   \ 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 \ EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Plus Gold \ Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD \ WD Black 2 TB \ Windows 10 

PHOENIXZERO
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/28 10:13:04 (permalink)
arestavo
It's like trying to show facts to a liberal. Most will just keep on insisting that their feelings trump (no pun intended) any amount of hard facts.

Really? Using bad analogies and political generalizations? As if "conservatives" aren't just as guilty of the same thing.

It probably being an issue with bad capacitors doesn't absolve EVGA of the shoddy oversights workmanship of the cooling solution and it running hotter compared to the competition because of it.
post edited by PHOENIXZERO - 2016/11/28 10:16:25
Tzeh-Pesh
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Final EVGA VRM Torture Test: VRM Thermals Not the Killer of Cards 2016/11/28 18:12:49 (permalink)
loveha

I do believe that the fact that these cards have been failing a little more spectacularly/visibly has resulted in it getting more attention that what otherwise normal failure rates would, and the community running with it, and while hopefully this report will quell that and remove some of the anxiety associated with it, still can't help but feel disappointed...

I'm disappointed that its taken a third party to address this. I'm disappointed that the narrative has jumped between "there is no issue", to "their testing methodology is wrong", to "its a stress test, it doesn't represent real world results", to optional BIOS updates and free thermal pads that kind of, maybe, should have been there to begin with, to "no wait, its something else".  I can't help but feel that EVGA could have taken ownership of that narrative and put this fire out (sorry, no pun intended) earlier by officially stating the cause themselves or admitting to an over oversight. I know, I know, good luck finding any business that would rush out and do that but EVGA seemingly, at least to me, has been somewhat willing to do so with third parties like Gamers Nexus and JayzTwoCents going by their comments in videos posted on this topic while its played out and can't help but think if the same had been done earlier with customers/the forum directly it would have killed some of the speculating and anxiety. I don't know, perhaps maybe I just missed it.

Willing to admittedly that I'm making more of this than I should, and that disappointment is exaggerated by EVGA being held in high regard... if someone had asked me to guess which vendor was having cooling or component issues, I wouldn't have guessed EVGA.
loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Final EVGA VRM Torture Test: VRM Thermals Not the Killer of Cards 2016/11/28 18:52:19 (permalink)
I agree with you. If they would have came straight out with failure rates and admitted that they messed up on the cooler. Then said, here's some thermal pads to fix it or you may RMA the card in exchange for one with new and added pads. They may have avoided this while fiasco. But no, they stayed mum, which was probably the dumbest thing they could have done. Let's just hope they have learned from all of this.

You don't keep people in the dark, you just alienate them, and drive them away. I'm still debating if I ever want to deal with EVGA again after this. I have actually had good success with Asus and warranty work. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I have upgraded to what will last me the next 5 years or so. So, depending on how EVGA does between now and then will be the deciding factor on if I move camp.
post edited by loveha - 2016/11/28 18:58:54

Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6917
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: Gamers Nexus Report 2016/11/28 19:44:43 (permalink)
PHOENIXZERO
arestavo

Really? Using bad analogies and political generalizations? As if "conservatives" aren't just as guilty of the same thing.

It probably being an issue with bad capacitors doesn't absolve EVGA of the shoddy oversights workmanship of the cooling solution and it running hotter compared to the competition because of it.

Again - "Nothing that you can do besides state the facts, link the proof, and move on."
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile