EVGA

Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike)

Author
LJennings
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 535
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2019/05/28 08:23:23 (permalink)
Would EVGA ever make a Gamepad like the Logitech G13 or the Belkin Nostromo n52 or n52te?
I figured I would ask since they are making keyboards now. It doesn't look like Logitech is going to revise the G13.

post edited by LJennings - 2019/05/29 07:16:51

Heatware
i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs

10 Replies Related Threads

_AlanT
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 226
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/06/23 21:25:34 (permalink)
    This is quite unique. How does this suit your style of play? Do you use the joystick?
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/06/24 06:26:21 (permalink)
    If Logitech stopped making them, the market for them must be really small. A friend gave me one of his old N52 pads years ago, i could never get use to it. It's collecting dust in my closet.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/06/24 07:07:20 (permalink)
    I have one that Razer gave me and kind of have mixed feelings on it. I kind of feel that it's the kind of thing that isn't really needed since you still have the keyboard right there in front of you for windows but also have this smaller keyboard for gaming. It really has to nail the ergonomics and price point to really have a market in the first place and as said above if Logitech stopped making it then I really don't think it's something that has a huge market. Razer though still has them on the market but it seems like a lot of artists are using it for macros instead of it being a super big hit with gamers.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

LJennings
    SSC Member
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/06/28 08:02:19 (permalink)
    I used to use ESDF instead of WASD because of the raised bump on the F is easy to find without looking and gives me more keys to hit with my ring and pinky fingers.
    My fingers are short and I stick with the lower buttons on a standard keyboard, so I don't try to reach the number buttons to change weapons or kill streaks. Those are set to the buttons around the joystick, or to the upper left or right (where Tab, Q, `, T, Caps, or G would be). This way I don't have to scroll wheel thru the weapons.
    Profiles are nice to have so you can set each game individually. No need to change the in-game controls, just use the software to change which key does what. Say if there is an update to a game and the controls change back to default, you would have to change the in game controls. If you set the controls with the software and not change the in game controls, you wouldn't have to make any changes. The profiles can be loaded onto the G13 and switch on the fly with the soft keys by the LCD screen.
    Having a keyboard tray, I do not want a full size keyboard on the tray. That is just under my monitor. A full size keyboard would sit on my anodized Aluminum mouse pad and could potentially rock if it's angled and has just 1 corner on the mouse pad. I also have a Xbox controller between the G13 and my mouse pad for driving games (not all out simulator driving games). With a small desk, and a keyboard tray, the G13 fits nice and can be moved where ever I feel comfortable.

Unfortunately I don't use the joystick too much, although I did think about it and I should try to set it up for flying in Battlefield. I'm pretty terrible with M/KB flying a helicopter. I do like the D-pad better on the N52 for setting up other weapon buttons.

I didn't like the original N52 because it wasn't as comfortable as the G13 and didn't have as many buttons as the G13. Also, it doesn't have an LCD screen. I don't remember it having profiles either.

Since Logitech has stopped producing them, prices are thru the roof for them. Used costs just as much as I paid new 10 years ago. Seriously, the G13 came out in 2008 and I don't expect anyone in tech to keep making the same identical thing for 10 years. I was hoping for a new revision, but since it's been some time since they were produced, I'm not expecting Logitech to make a new one. Anyone I know that has one, loves it, but they are wearing out.
    I don't feel I would be happy with the Razor version. It looks like Razor bought the patent to the N52 because theirs looks almost identical.
    There are a few random makes and models on amazon that look like they could do the same, but there is a mixed bag of reviews (not that I'm surprised), and I'd rather wait until mine dies before replacing it, unless someone creates one that can rival the G13.

Edit: downfall of G13 keys feel mushy because they are membrane keys, not mechanical.
    post edited by LJennings - 2019/06/28 09:12:37

Heatware
    i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs
    MLindsay13
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/07/23 13:33:51 (permalink)
    (Short version)
    I will be nearly crippled when my G13 passes.
    Whoever makes the best gamepad will doubtlessly have my business for as long as I have breath.

(Long version)
    The Logitech G13 is a savior. It’s design is simplistic but very precise. I’ve tried other game pads and found the biggest fault to be the joystick, (which I absolutely need and use on every game). It’s either a D-Pad (which is a big no-go) and/or positioned in a terrible way. The G13 joystick is the right size, in the right position and at the right angle. As a whole, it has just enough keys, plus a couple extra, to configure for any style of game. Add in a large palm rest, backlighting and info screen to give you all you need.

I’m a 35 year old gamer. PC has been my jam since around the mid 90’s. To this day I cannot efficiently move from WASD to the number keys to fire off skills in my MMO’s. I was a “clicker”. It took about 2 solid gaming sessions before I was comfortable with the G13, but it more than doubled my damage output and made my movement ten times smoother. I still use my keyboard of course to chat or open non critical windows, but the G13 (or any game pad for that matter) is not supposed to replace the keyboard. It’s an add on. An extra. It’s an accessory that polishes off the experience.

To say that there is no market for gamepads like the G13, or that it’s just easier to use a standard keyboard, is like saying you shouldn’t buy a car because you can walk where you need to go. Sure, you can do that. But the speed, comfort and effectiveness of a vehicle will appeal to a large number of people. The same goes for gamepads. It’s the speed, comfort and effectiveness. It’s the PRECISION and DETAIL that took my gaming up a notch or three.

The G13 goes for several hundred dollars on many sites. That’s because it’s a discontinued product that people want. It’s still relevant. Razor makes a couple as well because it’s something gamers want. Would Razor waste time and money on something that doesn’t sell?? Nope. I can think of seven people off the top of my head that would want the best gamepad they can get there hands on, not including myself. And those people are using a G13. (Except for Steve, but he’s a goober so...)

If EVGA produces one that I feel is as comfortable as the G13, I’ll be purchasing two immediately.
    green_gobblin
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/07/24 01:23:52 (permalink)
    Hey guys I'm using G13 too an I love it is so comfortable and customizable I really like to dig in the software and make my presets for any games   , my friends always joking me how the F*** you play with this , they are not hardcore gamers like me ,  I'm always saying them " I'm here to play not for chat " The joystick  is very useful when I' play PUBG UP-Down are weapon 1 and 2  Left- right are leaning. If someone release  something like this G13 and is good I will buy too.
    jadbon
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/08/20 00:49:28 (permalink)
    The Razer Orbweaver Chroma looks cool also.
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/08/20 01:19:08 (permalink)
    I think it's much better to buy some gamepad you like then pushing EVGA in something they can't build as Logitech maybe.
    Logitech is great company and only negative side is technical support. It's one of worse I saw... You can't even get answer on simple questions.
    It's shame that such company no technical support or effective forum.
    But I can't imagine self buying gaming mouse other then Logitech... Keyboard OK, Deck, Filco, WASD because build quality, no RGB and Cherry MX Switches... Headphones only Sennheiser but anyway I don't need them, but mouse only Logitech.
    post edited by Vlada011 - 2019/08/20 01:21:30

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

LJennings
    SSC Member
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2019/08/27 05:21:11 (permalink)
    Who's pushing? It doesn't hurt to ask.
    I love the G13, I didn't love the n52 and I assume I won't love the Razer versions of the n52. I'd buy another G13, but the membrane keyboard feels mushy over excessive use, and the absurd "obsolete item" price gouging is terrible.
    Considering there are over 700 views of this thread, I was hoping to see more stories of what others love about it and how beneficial it is to have something like this.

Heatware
    Nozler
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2043
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Gamepad (Logitech G13, Nostromo n52, and alike) 2021/07/02 07:48:35 (permalink)
    G13 my fave i use the joy stick for reloads enter pick something up or use and run they are so usefull.  A User sense I can remember my wow days.

[Edit] I now have three to extras off E-Bay I'm safe for awhile lets hope the software stays valid 
    post edited by Nozler - 2021/07/03 15:45:27

heatware

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile