FXL: Build log - The experiences of a novice

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Nephross
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 263
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/07/20 14:58:08 (permalink)
IstBarP

Eyesonly_dk
IstBarP
gj!.. and nice to see that the whole thing works! ^^.. 
don't understand the high flow bracket though.. why don't evga just put that on every card instead of the other? :P..
i know it is better ^^

Thank you :) 
Hmm... it's so they can sell it as an accessory and make a little more bucks I guess :) /care really
I can tell that it's now installed in the case, and idling at a rock solid 35c with the room being at 24c! It's nothing short of awesome :) I am so pleased with this right now :) 

hehe.. nice! ^^.. my 2500k idles at 35 degrees too! :).. but even though it goes 5 ghz it does too :P.. because it downclocks to 1600 mhz xD

but amazing cooler even with the original thermal paste! ^^

It sure is :)

Nephross
iCX Member
Re:Project FXL : Finished! 2011/07/20 15:06:46 (permalink)
So, here we are. The finished system pictures and some thoughts on the process. I guess I will start with the pictures, and let you decide what’s what :)
First off, the IO panel went in, and some PCI brackets came out

Then the motherboard with the H60 still attached got slided in, and fastened to the standoffs.

And the H60 gets fastened to the case with the fan pulling air out of the case(I have faith that the airflow through the case is good enough for this)

Since the case is rather tall, I bought a 8pin EPS extension from NZXT so I could reach the connector through the back.

Let the cables mess begin!

More cables shenaniganse

Getting closer:

And finally done!

The cables management was quite easy all things considered. The gromets and the large space behind the motherboard allowed to be pretty liberal with the routing and such. The only thing that got a little hairy was the frontpanel audio connector that had to go all the way to the Xonar DX.
Here are the final build pictures:

I hope you enjoyed this build log as much as I have enjoyed building it! It’s been such a thrilling ride and now that it’s done, it is with great satisfaction and pride that I look upon it and smile 
Please feel free to leave a comment, advice, ideas or just general banter.

Ps. It’s been uploaded to Modsrigs too 

IstBarP
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1192
  • Ribbons : 10
Re:Project FXL : Finished! 2011/07/20 15:47:05 (permalink)
look your modsrigs! :)..

and requested a br for you! ^^..

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/07/20 15:52:29 (permalink)
AB Was Here

Good effort here for a first timer!!

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:Project FXL : Finished! 2011/07/20 15:53:00 (permalink)
Sweet build. I'm going to copy one of your pictures of the motherboard for a possible wallpaper use later on. The one that is a closeup of the EVGA logo on the MB itself from page 1.

This one in particular if you don't mind. I try to ask before using a picture taken by someone else.

Nephross
iCX Member
Re:Project FXL : Finished! 2011/07/20 15:55:07 (permalink)
IstBarP

look your modsrigs! :)..

and requested a br for you! ^^..

Thank you very much

Nephross
iCX Member
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/07/20 15:58:10 (permalink)
Afterburner

AB Was Here  

Good effort here for a first timer!!   

Thank you  for both the comment and the BR
scaryone
Sweet build. I'm going to copy one of your pictures of the motherboard for a possible wallpaper use later on. The one that is a closeup of the EVGA logo on the MB itself from page 1. 

This one in particular if you don't mind. I try to ask before using a picture taken by someone else. 

thank you
Please feel free to do so, if you wan't a higher res version, that can be arranged too 
post edited by Eyesonly_dk - 2011/07/20 21:23:19

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/07/20 16:00:00 (permalink)
Eyesonly_dk
thank you
Please feel free to do so, if you wan't a higher res version, can that be arranged too 

I'll take a look and see if I can up the size on the 800x600 version without too much grains showing. If it's a problem I'll send you a PM with my email address. Thanks.

iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 488
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/07/20 18:42:34 (permalink)
Nice clean build, bro!
Nephross
iCX Member
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/07/20 20:14:30 (permalink)
adreamofironice

Nice clean build, bro!

Thanks man 

It's up and running strong now. I fidled a little with the boot drive setup and stuff, but got it working after a couple of attemps. The settings I used is from these two guides:
This first one let's you move all user data off the SSD over to a HDD so that you don't clutter up the SSD with images and music and stuff that doesn't take advantage of the SSD's strength's on random read/write.
http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html

The second one was used primarily for the setup of pagefile and services disabling. I didn't do the temp internet file stuff, as I had already moved the entire Users folder to the storage drive.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82516

I haven't run any real benchmarks or anything, but did run a quick WEI and got a total score of 7.5, with the CPU being the lowest. Comparing that to what I had before(my lovely little laptop) I had an overall score of 3.5 based on the graphics(Nvidia Geforce 9300M) and 5.9 on the CPU on that(Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz). Oh, and the GTX570- it maxed the score out at 7.9 So to say I'm happy with the performance increase would be a severe understatement

Further testing and benchmarking will have to wait till the weekend

I appreciate all your feedback so please keep it coming either here or on modsrigs or even both

Nephross
iCX Member
FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 03:47:49 (permalink)
Right, last entry for now in this build log.

Overclocking!
Yup, I was hard at it most of last night, and got some pretty decent results. I had hoped for a little more, but for the given conditions, it's quite respectable in my mind :)

I started off by doing a check on the stock settings and see where that fell. I ended up with a 3dmark11 score of 5311 and a vantage score of 20327.
I then took a little time reading through my notes about OC, as I have never done it before

I set to work, starting at 4,0 and 1,3v. passed 5 runs of linx 20k problem size just fine, and temps where very good aswell. I could doa stable 4,6 at 1,3v actually, without the temps rising more than 5c from the 4,0 run.

After this things got increasingly more difficult and I had to chicken out when trying to reach 5,1Ghz when I was trying my last attempt with 1,525v on the vcore. Temps, stopped me though. I think it could be stable at 1,5v but I hit temps of around 92c on the core, so BSOD.

My max stable OC is this for now:

I then made a 24/7 setting of 4,5Ghz with 1,3v on the vcore, and left the powersaving and EIST on. Tested it overnight with Prime 95, and so far it's solid.

On the 570, I pushed the core to 910/1820/2000 with a vcore on the at 1,1v.

The Score are as follow:
3dmark11 - P6716
Vantage - P26068

I don't intend on running at this speed 24/7. Right now I have it clocked at SC settings, and should the need arise, I know what it can handle :)

So, that's it for now. Thank you very much for reading and I hope you enjoyed this little story of mine doing this build.
post edited by Eyesonly_dk - 2011/07/24 10:59:31

HeThing
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6897
  • Ribbons : 42
Re:Project FXL : Parts ordered! 2011/07/24 04:18:31 (permalink)
Eyesonly_dk

hething

Since you seem very dedicated to Music i would consider another case.. Have you looked into the coolermaster silencio 550?
- good looking
- noiseless
- good price

Yeah I looked at it, but it's not quite big enough for the plans I haven roaming in my head :)

The Fractal is actually really noise dead so to speak. Look here for a little more info.
The entire inside of the case is insulate with noisedeadning material, and the front door has foam in the inside to further silence the sound from drives and fans.

But thanks for your suggestion non the less :)

As an update I can tell that most of my parts have shipped and only my mobo and GPU from EVGA has yet to be shipped. I expect to have it ready to assemble by the next weekend

the fractal case is good aswell.. good choice..

Nephross
iCX Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 04:54:27 (permalink)
hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

Since you seem very dedicated to Music i would consider another case.. Have you looked into the coolermaster silencio 550?
- good looking
- noiseless
- good price

Yeah I looked at it, but it's not quite big enough for the plans I haven roaming in my head :)

The Fractal is actually really noise dead so to speak. Look here for a little more info.
The entire inside of the case is insulate with noisedeadning material, and the front door has foam in the inside to further silence the sound from drives and fans.

As an update I can tell that most of my parts have shipped and only my mobo and GPU from EVGA has yet to be shipped. I expect to have it ready to assemble by the next weekend

Thank you :) I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now, off to buy some games and enjoy the power of this thing :D

HeThing
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 05:26:02 (permalink)
Eyesonly_dk

hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

- good looking
- noiseless
- good price

Thank you :) I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now, off to buy some games and enjoy the power of this thing :D

sounds like a good Idea.. maybe you should get your hands on black ops.. then we can play..:D

Nephross
iCX Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 05:32:01 (permalink)
hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

- good looking
- noiseless
- good price

sounds like a good Idea.. maybe you should get your hands on black ops.. then we can play..:D

I would just get my ass handed to me :P But I will look into it. 

HeThing
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 05:47:39 (permalink)
Eyesonly_dk

hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

- good looking
- noiseless
- good price

COD Black Ops is pretty cheap.. 

Nephross
iCX Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 05:58:47 (permalink)
hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

Eyesonly_dk

hething

- good looking
- noiseless
- good price

COD Black Ops is pretty cheap.. 

This getting to be a big quote on quote :P

Bad company 2 is even cheaper As a warmup for BF3. I think that's one of the games I need

HeThing
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 06:06:41 (permalink)
IMO BC2 is crap... I regret spending so much money on it..! Black Ops is much much better IMO.. see this.. and you'll know why..

IstBarP
FTW Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 07:21:08 (permalink)
if you decide to go with black ops , we could game over skype! :) me and HeThing do that sometimes! ;).. 

but i am beginning to look forward to BF 3 :P.. but every time i look at a video, i think to myself.. i am neeeeeever gonna run that!.. think my gts 450 wil start lagging SOOO HARD!.. 

edit: btw, order the nzxt extension for 24pin cable too ;).. 
http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=634056
post edited by IstBarP - 2011/07/24 07:39:24

Nephross
iCX Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 08:08:37 (permalink)
IstBarP

if you decide to go with black ops , we could game over skype! :) me and HeThing do that sometimes! ;).. 

but i am beginning to look forward to BF 3 :P.. but every time i look at a video, i think to myself.. i am neeeeeever gonna run that!.. think my gts 450 wil start lagging SOOO HARD!.. 

Your 450 will probably struggle a little with that game. but time will tell. Otherwise it might be an option to go SLI with a pair 

Regarding the extensions. Yeah, that is in the plans for sure :) probably going to draw some inspiration from Afterburner and do the 24pin and the 2 6 pin PCIE in white, just to give it some contrast.

IstBarP
FTW Member
Re:FXL: Build log - Finished! 2011/07/24 08:42:18 (permalink)
Eyesonly_dk

IstBarP

Your 450 will probably struggle a little with that game. but time will tell. Otherwise it might be an option to go SLI with a pair 

Regarding the extensions. Yeah, that is in the plans for sure :) probably going to draw some inspiration from Afterburner and do the 24pin and the 2 6 pin PCIE in white, just to give it some contrast.

hehe.. nice.. your motherboard is pretty much all black so would look nice.. mine is black and has blue coolers on it! :/.. nice motherboard though, so i went with black :P..

i really don't think i would ever upgrade to a pair of gts 450, i know i pretty much double performance, but a gtx 560 which is pretty much the same price, a little more expencive, i double it too, and then i even have a physx card.. so i guess thats my plan at some level ..
but i am gonna buy a new phone tomorrow so there will be a money problem for the next couple of months xD 

slickric
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3401
  • Ribbons : 17
Re:Project FXL : Parts ordered! 2011/07/26 13:31:45 (permalink)

+1

lastsamurairick
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2419
  • Ribbons : 6
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/12/07 14:36:04 (permalink)
Very cool build.when I bought my EVGA GTX 570 same one that you have it actually came with high flow bracket which was a plus all i had to do was buy the EVGA LEET plate and voila all done.

Intel 10900k @ 3.7 Stock
  EVGA Z490 Dark 
  EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3070Ti FTW3
  G SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL 32GB
  EVGA 1000G5
{uZa}DOA
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4253
  • Ribbons : 15
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2011/12/07 16:42:24 (permalink)
Nice that build is clean!!

Nephross
iCX Member
Project FXL : Update and upgrades! 2013/05/07 11:47:58 (permalink)
Oh hai there :)

It's been almost 2 years since I did this build and boy have I enjoyed it! So many hours of great gaming experiences 

Over the course of 2 years I have made some small modifications, additions and upgrades that I thought I would share with you here.
So- pictures:)

First off you will notice that I have added another EVGA GTX 570 to the machine for increased SLI goodness and Oumf in games.
A few more shots of the SLI cards

White NZXT extension cables is there to increase the aesthetics of the build a little, though no one ever sees it aside from here on the pictures. But I know they are there, and that is what counts

I have made several iterations on the cable management and has for now settled on the following.

With the added GTX 570 and a fan controller the mess on the back has increased a little.

So, that's what has been going on here over past couple of years. The next step is going to be a bit more radical for a novice like me. I have been contemplating a full custom waterloop and have actually settled on the parts and how I would do it, I just need the finances to move forward with that project :)

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed the update. As always feel free to leave a comment, suggestion or just general banter down below. Also check out my modrigs page and perhaps give a +1 and a comment if you like it
post edited by Nephross - 2013/05/07 15:14:11

Tenacious G
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2013/05/26 00:14:27 (permalink)
Cool build!
RuffeDK
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 643
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2013/05/26 05:25:02 (permalink)
Lovely ! 
Really nice pictures too! Computer (& guitar) + awesome camera = GAS!

Intel Core i5-3570 ~ Noctua Cooling Solution ~ ASUS P8H77-I ~ Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 2x 8GB
     Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 ~ SilverStone ST45SF-G ~ Intel 520-120GB
     NCASE M1 Owner #0197
Nephross
iCX Member
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2013/05/26 10:26:36 (permalink)
Tenacious G

Cool build!

Thanks man :)

RuffeDK
Lovely !  
Really nice pictures too! Computer (& guitar) + awesome camera = GAS! 

Thank you :)
I'm a little unsure what guitar you are referring to(don't believe any of my guitars made it in to the picture), and what does "GAS" stand for exatly? ;o)
Pictures are all taken with a Sony Cybershot DCS-W125

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re:Project FXL : Testing the parts 2013/05/27 00:45:52 (permalink)

Nice build.           

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Nephross
iCX Member
Re: FXL: Build log - Update and plans for upgrades. 2016/05/20 03:07:14 (permalink)
Oh hi there, been a while :)

Three year interval this time between the last update and this, new record(not a good one), but not much has changed really. Continuous upgrades has been going on with an i7 2600k, a Corsair H80i GT cooler, different SSD's, GPU's and power supply's and added memory being the larger system components that has changed. So in fact the only parts from the original build is the case, motherboard, 8gigs of memory and the Asus Xonar DX soundcard :)
Currently it looks like this:

I recently picked up a used EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX and with it came an EK waterblock from the previous owner. Getting that in hand sparked my latest adventure that I thought I would share with you all, since it is going to be a first for me, FXL is going under water. Most of the components have been acquired, only waiting on a few bits to arrive and then find the time and space to modify the case, as it is not even remotely designed with watercooling in mind(which makes the project all the more fun). I'm planning on placing a 240mm rad in the front, and a low profile 360mm rad in the top, which means a fair amount of cutting to make that work. I have a good idea for what it will look like finished, and I think it's going to be awesome, so stay tuned if this caught your interest :)

post edited by Nephross - 2016/06/11 22:51:46

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile