EVGA

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming Voltage Locking and fan control options in MSI afterburner

Author
Idontdubelcare
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/12/25 15:31:28 (permalink)
Hi, i have recently bought the rtx 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming, and seeing as this is my first EVGA product and EVGA GPU, I am not used to using the X1 Precision software.
I almost always used MSA afterburner, i wanted to ask is there a way to lock the GPU at a specific voltage (not the boost lock option) or the lowest voltage with the X1 software. In MSI afterbuner its easy, you just open the curve editor and select a cube corresponding to a specific voltage and frequency hold CTRL and pre L and the voltage will get locked. Is there such a feature in EVGA's software, or something similar that can have the same effect?
Additionally, considering that this GPU has asynchronous fans MSI after burner can control only 2 of the 3 fans. Do you maybe know of a way or some other software that can control all of the fans at the same time?
If you require any other information do let me know.
Thanks in advance!

5 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16553
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming Voltage Locking and fan control options in MSI afterbu 2020/12/25 19:40:01 (permalink)
    Idontdubelcare
    Do you maybe know of a way or some other software that can control all of the fans at the same time?

Yes, EVGA Precision X1.  Sorry, that is your only option.
    EVGA uses a proprietary configuration using the EVGA marketed "ICX MCU" to do the asynchronous fan implementation.  EVGA refuses to use NVIDIA's reference asynchronous fan implementation for some reason, and other companies refuse to understand and implement EVGA's proprietary asynchronous fan control.  So, EVGA Precision X1 is your only option for controlling all three fans.  Lame, I know.

Idontdubelcare
    In MSI afterbuner its easy, you just open the curve editor and select a cube corresponding to a specific voltage and frequency hold CTRL and pre L and the voltage will get locked. Is there such a feature in EVGA's software, or something similar that can have the same effect?

Who knows?  I don't use Precision.  I gave up on Precision a long, long, long, long time ago.  Similarly, I don't plan on buying a EVGA card which has an ICX MCU either.

Unfortunately, the "vanilla" cards EVGA makes have reached such a decline in engineering that they are almost always worse than other AIB cards in the same price range.  The only decent cards made by EVGA anymore have the proprietary ICX MCU hot-mess.  So, I will probably not be buying any more EVGA video cards.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2020/12/25 19:54:15

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Idontdubelcare
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming Voltage Locking and fan control options in MSI afterbu 2020/12/26 02:32:23 (permalink)
    Yeah, to be honest I wanted to get a Asus strix 3080 or the gigabyte xtreme master because of its build, but seeing as everyone is all to familiar with the GPU supply chain right now the EVGA card was the only one i could buy (1100 euros i know its overpriced thankfully it was a gift) i doubt we will see any GPUs approach their rated MSRP before 2021 end of the year.

I just hope the guys at Guru managed to somehow add a third fan option, so i don't have to use two different programs.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6782
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming Voltage Locking and fan control options in MSI afterbu 2020/12/26 07:55:46 (permalink)
    I never had an issue setting a fixed fan % in AB and having it work for all 3 fans. AFAIK, the issue is only when you try to control the fans individually instead of linked.

PX1 does have a voltage curve - but I think only the auto-OC tool can set things with it. I never bothered, and just use AB.

Also, you might need to run the beta of AB to get voltage control for Ampere cards.
    wwxww
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming Voltage Locking and fan control options in MSI afterbu 2020/12/26 08:24:19 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Idontdubelcare
    Do you maybe know of a way or some other software that can control all of the fans at the same time?

Yes, EVGA Precision X1.  Sorry, that is your only option.
    EVGA uses a proprietary configuration using the EVGA marketed "ICX MCU" to do the asynchronous fan implementation.  EVGA refuses to use NVIDIA's reference asynchronous fan implementation for some reason, and other companies refuse to understand and implement EVGA's proprietary asynchronous fan control.  So, EVGA Precision X1 is your only option for controlling all three fans.  Lame, I know.

Idontdubelcare
    In MSI afterbuner its easy, you just open the curve editor and select a cube corresponding to a specific voltage and frequency hold CTRL and pre L and the voltage will get locked. Is there such a feature in EVGA's software, or something similar that can have the same effect?

Who knows?  I don't use Precision.  I gave up on Precision a long, long, long, long time ago.  Similarly, I don't plan on buying a EVGA card which has an ICX MCU either.

Unfortunately, the "vanilla" cards EVGA makes have reached such a decline in engineering that they are almost always worse than other AIB cards in the same price range.  The only decent cards made by EVGA anymore have the proprietary ICX MCU hot-mess.  So, I will probably not be buying any more EVGA video cards.

\

Blue Ribbon post right there.
    Idontdubelcare
    Re: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra gaming Voltage Locking and fan control options in MSI afterbu 2020/12/26 13:05:39 (permalink)
    I'm not unlinking fans in AB, if i click unlink to control individual fans it only allows for two fans to be controlled.
    This might have something to do with the rtx 30 series, but i verified that if i try to use a fixed fan speed it only controls two fans and it also is not using the fan speed set by me, but i gets reduced by 5-15 % for some reason.

I'm currently using the beta version of AB because the stable version can't control voltage on the rtx 30 series.

Do you mind sharing your setup so i might get a picture of what difference is causing this?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile