Helpful ReplyEVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 240
Author
ehabash1
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 463
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 13:54:14 (permalink)
Yes, not me but other ppl have and i mentioned that in this thread.

They saw the same issue

"so there have been people who tried to flash Asus 480w bios on to their ftw3 cards and have had same issue.
In fact, they saw a reduction in performance since it changed the behavior of the pcie being capped at 75w (vs 80w you get with the 450w bios) so they actually saw a reduction of 5watts by using the 480 strix bios

So im under the impression this is not fixable with software and its an intentional hard limitation set in the circuitry by Evga. 
Maybe it's to segment their kingpin card? just speculation"
Chamidorix
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 13:57:19 (permalink)
People asking questions that have already been answered. The Strix 480W bios displays the exact same behavior. Pci-e is limited to 75W instead of 80W on EVGA 450 W bios, so you actually pull less power to Vcore1. And yes, I have confirmed it is Vcore1 that is locked into a ratio with pci-e draw. So you can still pull more than 450 W by pulling extra power into Vcore2 or Vmem. 

The point is EVGA is artificially segmenting their cards rather than make a card that competes with other vendors at the same or lower price point. This is most likely being done to make the FTW3 artificially lower performance than the upcoming Kinpin Edition by a wider margin than generations past. EVGA has very tellingly completely ignored the issue in the last few pages, since it is artificial product segmentation. 

Basically, this problem cause has been cut, dried, and solved. People still asking haven't read the whole thread and or most likely lack the ability to understand what is being said. The board power limit indeed raises to 500W with this Bios, but there are 3 different power limits inside the card: Vcore1 (core), Vcore2(cache), and Vmem (VRAM). The Vcore1 power limit is locked in a fixed ratio to the draw of the pci-e express slot, which is limited on the 450W bios to 80W and to 75W on the 500W EVGA and 480W Strix. So this bios does nothing and in fact worsens the power draw limit of the GPU core. If you have increased scores, stability, or power draw, this is due to extra power being available to the cache and memory.

Since this has no chance of being fixed since it is intentional, I'm selling my 3090 FTW Ultra to the first interested buyer at the standard retail+shipping+tax (a little under 2k). PM me if interested. 
JZegers
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 14:01:18 (permalink)
In the event they decided to raise the vcore1 limit, is that possible with software or is the ratio hard locked with physical hardware configuration of the card?

Chamidorix
People asking questions that have already been answered. The Strix 480W bios displays the exact same behavior. Pci-e is limited to 75W instead of 80W on EVGA 450 W bios, so you actually pull less power to Vcore1. And yes, I have confirmed it is Vcore1 that is locked into a ratio with pci-e draw. So you can still pull more than 450 W by pulling extra power into Vcore2 or Vmem. 

The point is EVGA is artificially segmenting their cards rather than make a card that competes with other vendors at the same or lower price point. This is most likely being done to make the FTW3 artificially lower performance than the upcoming Kinpin Edition by a wider margin than generations past. EVGA has very tellingly completely ignored the issue in the last few pages, since it is artificial product segmentation. 

Basically, this problem cause has been cut, dried, and solved. People still asking haven't read the whole thread and or most likely lack the ability to understand what is being said. The board power limit indeed raises to 500W with this Bios, but there are 3 different power limits inside the card: Vcore1 (core), Vcore2(cache), and Vmem (VRAM). The Vcore1 power limit is locked in a fixed ratio to the draw of the pci-e express slot, which is limited on the 450W bios to 80W and to 75W on the 500W EVGA and 480W Strix. So this bios does nothing and in fact worsens the power draw limit of the GPU core. If you have increased scores, stability, or power draw, this is due to extra power being available to the cache and memory.

Since this has no chance of being fixed since it is intentional, I'm selling my 3090 FTW Ultra to the first interested buyer at the standard retail+shipping+tax (a little under 2k). PM me if interested. 

ehabash1
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 14:01:54 (permalink)

I was able to find this pretty quickly but everyone who has tried the bios has reported the same thing...even though the asus 480w bios, again, works on the other 3pin cards like the Gaming X
justin_43
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3326
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 14:06:52 (permalink)
Chamidorix

Yeah I didn't read the entire thread. I just saw his question and thought it was valid. Didn't know it had been asked and answered. You are probably right about the artificial limit to give the Kingpin an advantage. These cards have no headroom based on the horrible Samsung 8nm process. How else could they charge an exorbitant price for the Kingpin if the FTW3 could draw the same power. The real punch in the gut would be them actually releasing high end Ampere cards based on TSMC 7nm in the near future like the rumors indicate. I would feel like I threw away $2000. But Jensun doesn't care about that.

ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC • Intel Core i7 12700K • MSI Z690 Edge WiFi • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z • EVGA 1600T2 PSU
3x 2TB Samsung 980 Pros in RAID 0 • 250GB Samsung 980 Pro • 2x WD 2TB Blacks in RAID 0 • Lian-Li PC-D600WB
EK Quantum Velocity • EK Quantum Vector² • EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 • 2x Alphacool 420mm Rads
LG CX 48" • 2x Wasabi Mango UHD430s 43" • HP LP3065 30" • Ducky Shine 7 Blackout • Logitech MX Master
Sennheiser HD660S w/ XLR • Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD • Drop + THX AAA 789 • DarkVoice 336SE OTL
LordGurciullo
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 14:43:57 (permalink)
God. What bios did you use prior to switching. I can guarantee its not a temp limit. I can not pull  more than 450 period.  If you can then there must be a way we all can. 
zogge
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:19:49 (permalink)
I think I got it now and it is a dead end in HW design and I will return the card. :(
post edited by zogge - 2020/10/22 15:23:07
sky5600
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:22:16 (permalink)
zogge
I think I got it now and it is a dead end in HW design and I will return the card. :(

I would wait at least few days for Jacob to respond. EVGA knows there is a problem here.

Besides, it's still a kick ass card. Pretty sure 3090 FTW3 Ultra is the fastest card out there right now even at 450W. 
post edited by sky5600 - 2020/10/22 15:30:29
arcky
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 180
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:25:45 (permalink)
What’s the return policy for launch day 3090s from
EVGA’s store?
zogge
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:31:20 (permalink)
If it is connected to that resistor with fixed conversion factor between pci e slot power 75W and 8 pin connectors, then they either need to change the resistor on the card or somehow allow the bios to pull say 90W from the PCI slot and that is out of standard. Not sure if that would work in any case due to the resistor being fixed.

Only the high end cards with extra molex power for pci slot could then benefit from it but that is beyond me to judge if it is sustainable or not as a solution.

I am only guessing now though based on my limited knowledge in this area.

However it would be comforting though if we got an official statement from EVGA/Jacob on this topic. Sure it has been out only for a day but the interest for this is huge and if they want to stop any unwanted rumors impacting the brand, now is the time to speak up.
post edited by zogge - 2020/10/22 15:33:42
tayback longleg
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:33:12 (permalink)
Anyone not seeing >450W. Something I did that gets me to ~485W peak was setting fans to 100% and running OC scanner. Otherwise peak wattage is around 460 running doom eternal. everything else seems to hit a hard limit around 440.
Settings/Hardware/Software:
PX1(1.1.0.11) or Afterburner(4.6.3 beta 2): Power limit 119% and locked with temp limit 91c, everything else except maybe fan speed is irrelevant.
Using Nvidia Driver 456.71
Windows 10 Pro: V. 2004. OS BUILD: 19041.572
Hardware GPU scheduling, Game mode, and Variable refresh rate graphic settings ENABLED in windows OS.
NVCP: Vsync/Gsync/Max Refresh rate: OFF ; Tried setting power to Maximum performance, no change.

I'm a little disappointed so far, I do have a little bit of faith EVGA can fix up the BIOS and let us get ~500W on the regular. But worst case, I'm not too bummed. It's a great card and before any of this XOC vBios non-sense, I was perfectly content with using this at stock settings with a silent fan curve. the potential of the 500W bios just kinda drove me OC-crazy for a hot minute.

tubnotub1
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:33:49 (permalink)
arcky
EVGA’s store?

14 days w/ a 15% restocking fee, you would be much better off selling it to someone at retail instead of returning it. I'm not quite there yet personally, I do have a bit of buyer's remorse having sold an Asus TUF 3090 (at retail cause scalping sucks) to "upgrade" to the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra and then to see how this has been handled. I don't necessarily want a fix, just confirmation from EVGA whether this limitation is by design or if it is an issue w/ the BIOS that can be worked around. I am far less upset about not being able to hit 500 watts than I am about having the carrot dangled out in front of me, the excitement of the possibility it created, and then having it seemingly ripped away w/ no explanation as to why. Any response, even if it was confirming what others have speculated and this is an issue that cannot be resolved through further BIOS revisions would settle me quite a bit. 

post edited by tubnotub1 - 2020/10/22 15:40:37
sky5600
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:39:49 (permalink)
tubnotub1
arcky
EVGA’s store?

14 days w/ a 15% restocking fee, you would be much better off selling it to someone at retail instead of returning it. I'm not quite there yet personally, I do have a bit of buyer's remorse having sold an Asus TUF 3090 (at retail cause scalping sucks) to "upgrade" to the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra and then to see how this has been handled. I don't necessarily want a fix, just confirmation from EVGA whether this limitation is by design or if it is an issue w/ the BIOS that can be worked around. I am far less upset about not being able to hit 500 watts than I am about having the carrot dangled out in front of me, the excitement of the possibility it created, and then having it seemingly ripped away w/ no explanation as to why. Any response, even if it was confirming what others have speculated and this is an issue that cannot be resolved through further BIOS revisions would settle me quite a bit. 

Arioch
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:40:03 (permalink)
I have seen the wattage go into the 470s in RDR2 and it may have hit 480 for a second or two.  This is with default voltage set.

Is anyone increasing their voltage with this bios, and if so, by how much?
justin_43
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 15:51:47 (permalink)
Shouldn't we see what this bios will do under water before jumping to conclusions? No one has waterblocks yet. I bet they limited the voltage based on temp. Drawing 500w on air is probably not possible. If the card can be kept under 50c it might be another story. Just a guess.

ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC • Intel Core i7 12700K • MSI Z690 Edge WiFi • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z • EVGA 1600T2 PSU
3x 2TB Samsung 980 Pros in RAID 0 • 250GB Samsung 980 Pro • 2x WD 2TB Blacks in RAID 0 • Lian-Li PC-D600WB
EK Quantum Velocity • EK Quantum Vector² • EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 • 2x Alphacool 420mm Rads
LG CX 48" • 2x Wasabi Mango UHD430s 43" • HP LP3065 30" • Ducky Shine 7 Blackout • Logitech MX Master
Sennheiser HD660S w/ XLR • Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD • Drop + THX AAA 789 • DarkVoice 336SE OTL
tubnotub1
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 16:03:37 (permalink)
justin_43
Shouldn't we see what this bios will do under water before jumping to conclusions? No one has waterblocks yet. I bet they limited the voltage based on temp. Drawing 500w on air is probably not possible. If the card can be kept under 50c it might be another story. Just a guess.

I think that's fair, and I think people would be content (though maybe not thrilled) if EVGA confirmed that the stock cooling on the card was not capable of keeping the card within the thermal limits set by EVGA in the BIOS to pull 500 watts, if the response was, "Hey guys, we know this BIOS isn't quite working as you wanted, it won't allow for 500 watts to be pulled on the stock cooler, but wait until you purchase our AIO kit or get your cards underwater, oh, and here's a sneak peek," w/ an image/video of the card pulling 500 watts consistently under load while on water, people would probably put their pitchforks down. For a little while. But there are some people that are making future purchasing decisions right now based on the information we have *right now* which is incomplete because at this point as all we have is conjecture as to *why* these FTW3 Ultras can't pull 500 consistently under load whereas other AIBs that have flashed this same BIOS, on stock air, *are* able to pull 500 watts on a consistent basis. 
justin_43
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 16:22:32 (permalink)
tubnotub1
justin_43

I think that's fair, and I think people would be content (though maybe not thrilled) if EVGA confirmed that the stock cooling on the card was not capable of keeping the card within the thermal limits set by EVGA in the BIOS to pull 500 watts, if the response was, "Hey guys, we know this BIOS isn't quite working as you wanted, it won't allow for 500 watts to be pulled on the stock cooler, but wait until you purchase our AIO kit or get your cards underwater, oh, and here's a sneak peek," w/ an image/video of the card pulling 500 watts consistently under load while on water, people would probably put their pitchforks down. For a little while. But there are some people that are making future purchasing decisions right now based on the information we have *right now* which is incomplete because at this point as all we have is conjecture as to *why* these FTW3 Ultras can't pull 500 consistently under load whereas other AIBs that have flashed this same BIOS, on stock air, *are* able to pull 500 watts on a consistent basis. 

I understand. I'm one of those people making a purchasing decision. I would love to hear more from EVGA on the topic. I just doubt they intend to give everything without thermal limits. They worry about mass RMAs. It's pretty nuts to think you are going to get a super high OC on the stock air cooler, especially with these power hungry GPUs. They are different than past cards. Samsung 8nm isn't very efficient. I know some people spent $2k and feel entitled. But if you want it all you need to spend even more to watercool. These GPUs are priced so high I understand (too high IMO), but people watercool for a reason.

komicaaa
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 16:26:48 (permalink)
peak>450w in previous bios(D0) is very often and easily.

Feel disappointed is why other AIB card(MSI&colorful) use the beta bios can easily and nearly reach 500W?
i don't think the ftw3u's phase power design is worse than other AIB entry-level cards

post edited by komicaaa - 2020/10/22 16:36:12
ehabash1
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 16:32:04 (permalink)
But the much cheaper msi card can grab and hold the 500watts with its stock air cooler?

It has nothing to do with cooling....

Also, to the ppl reporting mid 470s in watts.. i see the same thing with the STOCK bios, from time to time it surpasses the 450.
Heck even from day one when the card first launched someone on this board was reporting 460watts and showed us a screenshot of it. This is NOT an example of the new bios working.

People are gaining 500+ points in port royal. Others i saw over 800points coming from their 3pin Non evga card.
If your really had the new bios working you will KNOW for sure it wouldnt be speculation. The performance increase is significant and easy to see.
komicaaa
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 16:43:04 (permalink)

best wattage of mine is run furmark.
For me, most of times the 3dmark score and wattage are same between the two bios(D0 & F8)

ehabash1
But the much cheaper msi card can grab and hold the 500watts with its stock air cooler?

It has nothing to do with cooling....

Also, to the ppl reporting mid 470s in watts.. i see the same thing with the STOCK bios, from time to time it surpasses the 450.
Heck even from day one when the card first launched someone on this board was reporting 460watts and showed us a screenshot of it. This is NOT an example of the new bios working.

People are gaining 500+ points in port royal. Others i saw over 800points coming from their 3pin Non evga card.
If your really had the new bios working you will KNOW for sure it wouldnt be speculation. The performance increase is significant and easy to see.

ehabash1
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 16:49:09 (permalink)
This whole mess is because Evga tried to scam ppl using the 3080 ftw3.
You see, Evga wants you to spend more money. The margins on the 3090 ftw are huge compared to the 3080 and if they gave you the true 420w from day 1, well, the performance is too close to the 3090. They want you to think OH you want more performance? You better spend more

When they got caught they acted super shady about it. Jacob was like “oh what are you guys talking about im seeing 419w on my test bench”
The problem is they HAD to release the minimum 420 since its actually illegal and false marketing. Ppl make buying decisions based on that sort of thing. HOWEVER, if they released only a 420w bios, they would have to admit they were wrong. So instead they never acknowledged it and cane out with 450w to look like heros.

Except, now they were offering same power as much more expensive and more power hungry 3090 card.
So, once again their hand was forced.
And once again they acted super shady about it. Jacob pulled the same exact bs with the “oh what are you talking about im seeing 497w being pulled on my computer” and then he completely disappears and no1 from evga acknowledges ANYTHING even though for SURE they are reading this thread

This is all because they scammed 3080 users out of their 420w bios and have found themselves in this mess.

You will not get a statement because this is not an issue that you will see get fixed. This time around (unlike last time) the ftw3 card is 3x8pin, making it easy to flash the kingpin bios. How can they scam you into paying $2500 for the kingpin? How will they make their massive margins if you know u can just flash the bios! The solution? To completely gate you out of it via circuitry.
Chamidorix
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:09:36 (permalink)
Okay I've found the actual hardware reason the EVGA boards have such a low locked in ratio of PCI-E to Vcore1 power draw vs other cards like Gigabyte or MSI. Quite simply, the PCI-E shunt has a 10 amp fuse protecting it, while every other brand has a 20 amp fuse on it. This means at max ~1.1V, the PCI-E connector is physically designed to not pull any more than 110W without blowing a fuse, while other brands can handle 220W. You could try to argue this is a safety feature, but it has the consequence of greatly lowering max performance of an EVGA board vs others, without shunting. Seems like obvious artificial segmentation.

I looked more into the 3080 xoc bios release and like ehabash says, exactly the same kind of shady as this. They are clearly releasing these bioses for marketing headlines but ensuring they don't actually boost performance like you would expect, since they have left the pci-e to 8 pin power draw ratios intact. To clarify, EVGA should be able to adjust the ratios in vBios to allow the lower amp fuse to not be an issue. But they have not, and it is way more obvious they are doing it purposefully with how they handled the 3080 xoc release. But at least we know why it works fine on other boards; their ratios are set around 20 amp fuse so they scale right up to the 500W board limit without problems.  

Moral of the story, buy a card with 3 8 pins and a 20 amp fuse on pci-e (literally any other vendor, colorful, MSI, asus, gigabyte) and flash the 500W bios, and then the Kingpin 525W bios when it comes out later. Put it under waterblock. Profit. 

post edited by Chamidorix - 2020/10/22 17:25:28
bloodshot45
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:10:23 (permalink)
ehabash1
You see, Evga wants you to spend more money. The margins on the 3090 ftw are huge compared to the 3080 and if they gave you the true 420w from day 1, well, the performance is too close to the 3090. They want you to think OH you want more performance? You better spend more

When they got caught they acted super shady about it. Jacob was like “oh what are you guys talking about im seeing 419w on my test bench”
The problem is they HAD to release the minimum 420 since its actually illegal and false marketing. Ppl make buying decisions based on that sort of thing. HOWEVER, if they released only a 420w bios, they would have to admit they were wrong. So instead they never acknowledged it and cane out with 450w to look like heros.

Except, now they were offering same power as much more expensive and more power hungry 3090 card.
And once again they acted super shady about it. Jacob pulled the same exact bs with the “oh what are you talking about im seeing 497w being pulled on my computer” and then he completely disappears and no1 from evga acknowledges ANYTHING even though for SURE they are reading this thread

This is all because they scammed 3080 users out of their 420w bios and have found themselves in this mess.

You will not get a statement because this is not an issue that you will see get fixed. This time around (unlike last time) the ftw3 card is 3x8pin, making it easy to flash the kingpin bios. How can they scam you into paying $2500 for the kingpin? How will they make their massive margins if you know u can just flash the bios! The solution? To completely gate you out of it via circuitry.

I would avoid posting about EVGA attempting to "scam" people when you have no such proof just assumptions. Be happy Jacob is helping the community as much as he is. It's these type of posts that would make any EVGA team member not respond. As for 3080 vs 3090 XOC BIOS, all 3090 buyers knew the PL was 450W as it was stated by Jacob and even by reviewers. To come out whining about why its not 500W doesn't make any sense since you bought it KNOWING it was 450W. If EVGA does get it to work with 500W then treat it as a BONUS. Jacob is doing his best to make sure EVGA consumers are happy with their product and does his best to provide answers that he "can". He is NOT the one making the decisions at EVGA so lets cut him some slack. If you want better support, try providing constructive feedback.
post edited by bloodshot45 - 2020/10/22 17:12:58
Chamidorix
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:19:59 (permalink)
bloodshot45

I would avoid posting about EVGA attempting to "scam" people when you have no such proof just assumptions. Be happy Jacob is helping the community as much as he is. It's these type of posts that would make any EVGA team member not respond. As for 3080 vs 3090 XOC BIOS, all 3090 buyers knew the PL was 450W as it was stated by Jacob and even by reviewers. To come out whining about why its not 500W doesn't make any sense since you bought it KNOWING it was 450W. If EVGA does get it to work with 500W then treat it as a BONUS.

Join the pile of other apologists. The simple fact is if by virtue of hardware design the EVGA FTW3 cannot perform as well as a MSI Trio, GB Aorus, or Asus strix, we as customers absolutely should be discussing it. If you are arguing there is no evidence to be having this discussion in the first place, you are either blind to the rest of this thread, or willfully ignorant, or both. 

This kind of information and discussion has no reason to be suppressed if you are a fair customer. Trying to downplay or obfuscate information sure seems like astroturfing or blind fanboyism to me. If EVGA genuinely wants the best performance out of these cards they absolutely will appreciate any efforts for us to pinpoint why we aren't getting the full 500W draw. But, as discussed, these efforts have so far revealed causes that don't make much practical sense outside of artificial product segmentation, hence the justified cynicism and complaining. 
post edited by Chamidorix - 2020/10/22 17:22:51
originxt
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:24:25 (permalink)
bloodshot45
ehabash1

I would avoid posting about EVGA attempting to "scam" people when you have no such proof just assumptions. Be happy Jacob is helping the community as much as he is. It's these type of posts that would make any EVGA team member not respond. As for 3080 vs 3090 XOC BIOS, all 3090 buyers knew the PL was 450W as it was stated by Jacob and even by reviewers. To come out whining about why its not 500W doesn't make any sense since you bought it KNOWING it was 450W. If EVGA does get it to work with 500W then treat it as a BONUS. Jacob is doing his best to make sure EVGA consumers are happy with their product and does his best to provide answers that he "can". He is NOT the one making the decisions at EVGA so lets cut him some slack. If you want better support, try providing constructive feedback.

The frustration stems from the fact that the bios released was intended for OUR cards. Sure, the power limit was 450watts and if that was the maximum limit, don't release this bios. It makes the company look bad for false marketing attempts if the cards themselves are physically limited while similar 3 pin cards (regardless of price point) are receiving benefits.

It's only been a day and the bios is only in beta. I can only hope a revision is in the works to fix the issue but in the meantime, they need to say something so it doesn't seem like they are hiding information. If the cards are limited then just state it. If a revision of bios is in the works to address it, great. Don't release this bios and say, well it can now spike up to 500w for like a second and expect us to just accept that, especially when other cards can sustain that additional headroom.
arcky
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:28:19 (permalink)
is the 3080 ftw3 xoc still in beta? what does beta even mean in this context? isn't the purpose of a beta to collect and respond to consumer input? or is EVGA just using beta as a way of deferring any responsibility so they can say hey we tried but don't hold as accountable for actually delivering on anything
sirien
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:31:21 (permalink)
I think the point he was making was if you look at the total board power draw before the pcie shunt, it was not going above 400w under load. After the shunt it was going to 450w. You have to keep in mind that the board reading of 450w also doesn’t include the shunt draw itself, so it bumped it up to 500 total. Which is what the bios allowed. If you look at his previous 3080 shunting videos he shunted 7 of the 8 resistors and didn’t get more than 320 watts on his XC3 regardless of the readings of gpu-z. The card will limit itself to whichever shunt hits it’s specified limit first. So if all the sensors are tied to the pcie shunt then that’s the one stopping all the others from drawing more power even with bigger power slider. Again shunting 7 of the 8 gave him zero improvement because the pcie was stopping the rest of the board from going further. But I mean even if he’s wrong and the increased performance all came from that one shunt, it’s still kind of true because shunting the other 7 gives you zero benefit. Regardless the pcie shunt is the bottleneck on the entire board, without that no one is going anywhere
post edited by sirien - 2020/10/22 17:34:56
god503
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:36:34 (permalink)
LordGurciullo
God. What bios did you use prior to switching. I can guarantee its not a temp limit. I can not pull  more than 450 period.  If you can then there must be a way we all can. 

stock.   what came with the card.  i updated the bios yesterday.  had the card since monday
Turbo-12R
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 17:53:04 (permalink)
I have to say it has been relatively amusing to watch all the Negative Nelly comments going on about this BIOS, and I’m sure I’ll be causing rage to some of you.  The same people now whining are probably the ones praising EVGA last week for its more than fair system of product distribution.  Just take a step back and listen to yourselves (those who are in a snit).  You are essentially whining about a BIOS that you had no idea was ever even going to be released when you purchased this card…let alone the card only being on the market a few weeks.  Also, you’re losing sleep over a BIOS that is giving you maybe 50w more….seriously.  Are you really that worried about gaining a spot on the 3DMark board, which is in reality 100% meaningless in real life?  Oh wait, bragging rights…I forgot.

For those of you who are threatening to “return” your card in hopes that will scare EVGA, that statement makes you double the fool.  Obviously right now with such a demand for any 3090 card, you could easily get your money back if not make a little for your troubles on Ebay or the like.  Show some patience and let them iron this out as it is a BETA BIOS. 

Wow, who would have thought my first post here would be to chastise a bunch of knuckleheads.

Thermaltake Level 20HT
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core
Thermaltake Pacific MX1 Plus Water Block
Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series DDR4 3600
2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVMe
1x Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB NVMe
TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta MAX RGB SSD 1TB
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA w/EKWB
Dual Thermaltake PR22-D5 Pumps
Dual Thermaltake Pacific CL360 64mm Rads
EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W
MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR
arcky
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/10/22 18:40:39 (permalink)
Imagine using your first post to encourage scalping the products of the very company whose forums you’re posting on.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 240
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile