EVGA GTX 770 FTW - Games Crashing, TDRs, Frustration

Author
docmars
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/09/19 21:16:56 (permalink)
Hey everyone,

I've spend the last 3 days battling with my new EVGA GTX 770 FTW 4GB card and am not having a single bit of luck with it. Keep in mind, this is a factory-overclocked card.

Back-Story

I just built this computer (listed in my signature) about two weeks ago. While I was waiting for my 770 to come in, I threw my two 470's in there for the time being. Everything worked like a charm. I was using the 326.80 BETA, and life was good. I was playing Tomb Raider with no issues.

770 comes in the mail

I took my 470's out, and installed the 770 card. So far so good. System boots up fine, and Windows 8 recognizes the card perfectly.

In utter excitement, I loaded up The Witcher 2. About 10 minutes into playing, the game completely froze and I had to manually restart my computer. Once I did, I opened the Event Log and saw a TDR. From there, I made sure to check and monitor my temperatures. Loaded up TW2 again and the very same thing happened.

Knowing that it isn't the temperatures (it's staying under 80 C like it should), I decided to investigate further.

Here's what I've tried to resolve the issue so far:

Drivers—
* 314.22 with INF hack
* 320.18 WHQL
* 320.49 WHQL
* 326.80 BETA
* 327.24 OPENGL
and finally 327.23 WQHL which came out today.

And of course, all clean installations before using the next version.

Other Tweaks—
* BIOS update to 1405 (latest for my mobo)
* NV Control Panel: Power management mode: Performance (instead of Adaptive)
* Windows Power Mode: High performance (instead of Balanced)
* Uninstalled Realtek Audio Drivers, let Windows install default drivers
* Installed official Realtek Audio Drivers
* Removed NVIDIA Audio devices
* NV Control Panel: Disabled HDMI sound (for my HDMI monitor)
* Set BIOS PCIe Speed from Auto to Gen2
* Verified memory timings in BIOS, using XMP and are correct
* Double-checked PSU connections, +12V Amp ratings, etc.
* Reseated GPU
* Formatted and reinstalled Windows 8
- I haven't tried underclocking. EVGA PrecisionX seems to limit this quite a bit. How would I go about trying this?

After all of this, I am still getting the same TDRs with my GTX 770.

What's strange is... immediately after installing 327.23, I played Tomb Raider for about 25 solid minutes without any issues--much longer than the usual (5-10 min). Then when I exited the game, the game crashed, and alas, I see another TDR in the Event Log. Now when I launch any game, it crashes and throws a TDR, until I restart, and it will work for another short period of time.

I am not experiencing any TDRs while web browsing, watching videos, using Windows, etc. Only when I do anything 3D-related.

NVIDIA, what's going on? The card is working just fine when I'm playing. No artifacts, no stutters. Just pointless TDRs. If anyone has other ideas to try and troubleshoot this with me, I would love the help. There's GOT to be something we can do about this. I didn't spend $460 on this hardware to play my games 5 whole minutes at a time.

I will note too, I have sent a Watchdog dump to the driver feedback email that NVIDIA has provided with a detailed description of what is going on.

Thank you!

Specs:
ASUS Z87-Plus — Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz — 8GB G.Skill Riptide DDR3-1600 CAS7 — EVGA GeForce 770 FTW ACX 4GB — Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD — Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDD — NZXT H230 Black Case — Corsair AX860 PSU — Windows 8.0 x64 RTM
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49177
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA GTX 770 FTW - Games Crashing, TDRs, Frustration 2013/09/19 21:34:49 (permalink)
Try increasing the TDR timeout:
  • Exit all Windows based programs.
  • Windows Key+R, type regedit in the Search box, and hit enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Browse to and then click the following registry subkey: 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers 
  • On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit): 

For 32 bit Windows 
    1. Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
    2. Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows 

1. Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
    2. Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.
  • Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

Update DirectX:
http://www.directxupdate.com/dxwebsetup.exe

Downclock GPU & Mem Offsets -105 each using older Precision X:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sg6uxxjji76cr7x

If all the above fails to correct the issue I would recommend that you test the card in another PC to see if you can replicate the issue. RMA if replicated.
post edited by Sajin - 2013/09/19 22:01:40
docmars
Re: EVGA GTX 770 FTW - Games Crashing, TDRs, Frustration 2013/09/19 23:03:40 (permalink)
Thanks for the really quick feedback!

I tried the TdrDelay registry change and that didn't solve the issue, but I downclocked by 105 in each using the older version of PrecisionX and played Tomb Raider for a good 30 minutes without issues.

It kind of sucks that downclocking the card seems to be the best solution so far, but honestly, factory overclocking is really not that big of a deal anyway, so as long as I can get the performance that a reference card can offer, I'm alright with that. I really purchased the card because it had 4GB and I'm planning on getting another for an SLI setup so I can be prepared for games 3-4 years down the road.

Thank you again for your help! I'll ride on these clocks for now and update you if anything comes up.
post edited by docmars - 2013/09/19 23:10:44
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49177
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA GTX 770 FTW - Games Crashing, TDRs, Frustration 2013/09/19 23:07:34 (permalink)

p1sstopher
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 770 FTW - Games Crashing, TDRs, Frustration 2013/11/04 22:20:29 (permalink)
I am also having MAJOR issues with my 770 FTW 4 GB crashing my whole system when i play things like Tomb Raider for an extended period of time or even Batman Arkham Origins
docmars
Re: EVGA GTX 770 FTW - Games Crashing, TDRs, Frustration 2013/11/06 17:12:48 (permalink)
p1sstopher
I am also having MAJOR issues with my 770 FTW 4 GB crashing my whole system when i play things like Tomb Raider for an extended period of time or even Batman Arkham Origins

Sorry to hear that—is your system giving you a blue screen of death or is it just showing TDR's ("NVIDIA display driver has stopped responding and has recovered...")?

Are you seeing any artifacts (weird lines, weird colors and geometry, noisy blocks, etc.)?

I managed to get my two 770 FTW's in order by downclocking them as suggested earlier in this thread. Haven't had a problem since, and they're still performing really well despite downclocking them.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile