EVGA

EVGA FTW3 1080ti: I found some kind of substance/oil on my backplate

Author
Planetgazer15
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/08 21:36:29 (permalink)
My PC Specs: Intell 7700k//Kraken X62 AIO//EVGA 1080ti FTW3//Corsair 16gb 3000 ram sticks x2//ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO//960 nvme EVO SSD 256gb//EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Powersupply.

Hello everyone!

So yesterday I noticed there was some substance/oil/liquid spots on the GPU backplate. I thought my  Kraken AIO may have been leaking so I took out the side panel to take a closer look. And when I looked it at, the spots weren't where the AIO would be leaking from. I checked and touched around the AIO and tubing  and it was dry and still dusty. My temps and fan/pump speeds where fine. I touched the backplate where the spots where and  there wasn't any dust, and it seemed dry. You could just see the spots visible because of the dust on the backplate. I also saw a small dead insect inside and initially thought it was it who made those wet spots, but I posted on another thread and we figured out that it wasn't the insect as it was so tiny. There was extra dust that fell off the case fan on top when I touched it fyi. Here is some screenshots:

Here you can see the bug

My temps while watching a few steams + youtube videos

So someone earlier on another thread said the substance: "It's only close to some seams, vent slots and screw access holes (just an observation) - it's oil from the thermal paste or gap pad filler." 

And another said: "It looks like condensation to me, as the dust on your fan looks soggy as well, dust doesn't form big particles like that unless it's humid, I'm really not sure though."

Do you guys think they might be right? Here is a side to side comparison of a youtube video where Gamer Nexus takes off the backplate, and if you compare picture #1 I posted, the oil/substance spots are near where the thermal pads are located:

I have a few question for you guys. I again appreciate all of you for reading my wall of text here. Keep in mind that I live in tropical weather so we don't need air-conditioning/heating. But during winter weather in the months of Jan-April, it gets cold. It's been really cold the past two weeks especially at night where the temps have been between 63-71 degrees F (the norm at night is 80-87). I dont know if this is a contributing factor to anything. Also my room is small at about 18ft x 18 ft and I leave my computer on and never turn it off:

1. What do you think this substance is?

2. Do you think it did any damage to my GPU or my system in general? (My system is running just fine atm and no funny smells even up close  when I opened it up)

3. If there was a short circuit or electrical failure, would my modem or ethernet cables be damaged also? (My system is running just fine atm)

4. Should I clean the substance or whatever it is? If so can I use a Qtip with alcohol?  Or should I take the backplate apart and scrub the backplate with anti bacterial soap and wipe it off with alcohol? I'd let it try for a couple hours ofc

5. OCD question here, I'm sorry: Could the substance be toxic? I assume the backplate is hot and whatever was on it already evaporated? If its oil from the thermal pads, I should fine? Do Ir eally need to clean it?

6. Is there a trick to removing the back plate once the screws are all out? I saw ppl on youtube struggling to pull the back plate off. It seems really stuck together maybe from the heat and thermal pad.

Again thank you very much for any help you can give me!

****** Quick Update*******

Someone told me: "I had a choice between condensation and thermal paste or silicone gap seal oil. Condensation wouldn’t be only around some seams and vent slots. It would also require that you had shutdown the machine for it to cool. Maybe you have/do but it’s not condensation. The oil from paste or seal oil is well documented and one which mobo manufacturers could easily fix rather than causing regular panic like yours. What causes it? The oil is in the paste or gap sealant. Heat from the components causes it to ooze. You’ve had hot fries or fried food? Taken home leftovers and the oil congealed in the fridge, until you reheated for lunch the next day? Then you had grease on all kinds of stuff, so there you go.
Harmless? Still Yes."

"to further support my comments I put even more effort into helping you feel comfortable and found this thread on another forum from 2014 "Link won't post for some reason"
 which is Clearly the same issue. So as I stated in your other post, this issue has been around for a long time. You can get some sleep."

That link is insightful and I guess its more common than we think. And it seems the link isn't working even though its a EVGA link. How can I post the link here?

So some people have been telling me the substance from the thermal pad isn't conductive and its totally fine to leave and its not toxic at all so it won't turn into a harmful vapor that will kill me slowly as I breath it in lol. I assume it will eventually all evaporate? The other person told me to just take the backplate off and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. I have a few more questions here:

7. What kind of alcohol should I use again? I used it before to reapply thermal paste for me CPU but I forgot. And I  just wipe down the backplate and not the PCB/Circuit board right?

8. How long is the warranty for GPUs? I bought this back in late 2017 I believe, I tried look at the RMA section but got confused on the Limited Warranty Product Suffixes. I bought my GPU from Amazon and I have the box laying around somewhere.

9. If I did or had to replace the old thermal pads in the future, which ones would I need to get?   Thanks 
post edited by Planetgazer15 - 2020/02/08 21:53:47

1 Reply Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: EVGA FTW3 1080ti: I found some kind of substance/oil on my backplate 2020/02/08 22:51:43 (permalink)
    That's silicon oil leaking from the thermal pads. It's messy but not harmful. If your GPU is operating normally you're fine. The suffix of your part number tells you your warranty. Use 90% or higher IPA. Cleaning the PCB with the same is fine. Just be careful around the surface mount components. If you bought your GPU new from Amazon (you can look at your Amazon purchase history for the part number warranty suffix) it probably has a 3 year warranty.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile