EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA 650 BQ fan rattle

Author
SillyOldWilly
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/03/26 22:13:29 (permalink)
So I've had this PSU for just under a year and a half, and for the past few months the fan won't stop rattling. The weird thing is, when I tilt my case the noise vanishes, but it resumes as soon as I put the case down. I tried mounting the PSU with the fan facing up to see what would happen and it made no difference, and I want it to be taking in cool air anyway, I've blown it with air duster, made sure no cables were poking through the grill etc. it's under warranty but my build is compact and very complicated, which means to RMA I'd have to undo hours of work, redo it, and buy a PSU in the meanwhile anyway. Is there any known solution to this problem that has worked for anyone? I'm trying to look into all options before I resort to sending it back
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: EVGA 650 BQ fan rattle 2020/03/27 01:52:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SillyOldWilly 2020/03/27 18:40:17
I have needed to replace PSU fans a handful of times and it's very easy to do, no biggie..Use an ordinary case fan that's of equivalent, or nearly equivalent specs.

EVGA (and others) states the following, so let's get that out of the way first.

"WARNING: This unit has no user-serviceable parts inside. Opening the casing presents a risk of electrocution and will void the product’s warranty."

So if you're willing to do that and take the risk, proceed.

An EVGA 650W BQ has a Globe Fan RL4Z T1352512HH, 140mm x 25mm, 12V, 0.45A, 1200 RPM, 129.76 CFM, 38.8 dB, Teflon Nano Bearing fan it.

Take the cover screws off, then remove the cover and the fan connector (insulated-handle needle nose pliers work well)..Then the fan screws/fan.

Cut the mini fan connector off the original fan and cut the fan connector off of the replacement fan..Then splice the mini fan connector onto the new fan with the positive-to-positive (red/power) and negative-to-negative (black/ground) wires together..Separate and wrap them up in a little electrical tape..For fans without color-coded wires, here are 3-wire and 4-wire pinouts.

Screw the new fan onto the cover, noting the airflow direction arrow usually located on the fan housing..Air needs to blow into the PSU..Then reassemble.

Finally, turn the PSU on for bench testing purposes with a paper clip/wire or a PSU Tester to make sure the fan spins without hitting anything and the airflow is in the right direction..See: How do I test my power supply? in the EVGA FAQs.

You can get a good, quiet, replacement fan like a Fractal or Noctua, or whatever, with near equivalent airflow and the same or less amp draw..I just put a Noctua NF-P12 in my Seasonic unit a few months ago, can barely hear it.

Just take common sense precautions like working with insulated tools, wearing gloves, not touching/licking any circuit boards, and you'll be fine.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

SillyOldWilly
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 650 BQ fan rattle 2020/03/27 18:42:32 (permalink)
well, I was hoping that maybe i was missing something and there would be an easier way out but this was still really helpful. it doesn't seem as hard as i thought and it might save me some money. thanks for the detailed instructions 
bob16314
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8048
  • Ribbons : 761
Re: EVGA 650 BQ fan rattle 2020/03/27 22:24:47 (permalink)
No problemo.

Yeah, it's easy peasy..I guess the most 'complicated' part would be changing the connector.

The 650W BQ Manual says it has Over Temperature Protection (OTP), like the vast and overwhelming majority of PSUs do, so if it starts randomly shutting off at times, you'll know it needs a better (more airflow) fan..My Seasonic 750W has been working perfectly and quietly since I put an NF-P12 in it, astronomically more quiet than the original fan and another fan I had put in it before. 

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile