EK back plate on Hydro Copper

Author
cyberlocc
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/06/30 17:34:23 (permalink)
Hey guys I think I have asked this before. However I am asking again! Will the EK Backplate work on Hydro Copper Block? 

I know the manual says no and use the EVGA back plate (Which I own, I say own because it isn't installed lol). However EKs compatibility checker says it does work. 

Does anyone know for sure? Otherwise I am going to mod this EVGA one with Real Carbon Fiber, to make it usable. I have no idea why EVGA feels the need to put all these holes in their back plates, its hideous IMO, and kind of defeats the point, when dust can just get right in (or god forbid WATER, had a EK back plate save my Top 290x before from some drips.)  

15 Replies Related Threads

quadlatte
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5427
    • Ribbons : 56
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/01 11:29:37 (permalink)
    cyberlocc
    Hey guys I think I have asked this before. However I am asking again! Will the EK Backplate work on Hydro Copper Block? 

I know the manual says no and use the EVGA back plate (Which I own, I say own because it isn't installed lol). However EKs compatibility checker says it does work. 

Does anyone know for sure? Otherwise I am going to mod this EVGA one with Real Carbon Fiber, to make it usable. I have no idea why EVGA feels the need to put all these holes in their back plates, its hideous IMO, and kind of defeats the point, when dust can just get right in (or god forbid WATER, had a EK back plate save my Top 290x before from some drips.)  

the hole are there to let heat escape, the back of the card can get quite toasty. if ek says it will work then im sure it will, they test them first before saying that.

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72498
    cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 13:08:35 (permalink)
    quadlatte
    cyberlocc

the hole are there to let heat escape, the back of the card can get quite toasty. if ek says it will work then im sure it will, they test them first before saying that.

EK just visually inspects it. The backplate will fit as far as holes go, which is all they check. My concern is the screws, I remember reading something about the screws being an issue. 

As for the holes, EK backplates relieve the heat decently too, what the EVGA ones fail to do is protect the card from dust and water drops which is more important in my mind. 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38516
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 13:24:08 (permalink)
    Matthew Hoch (EKWB Support)
    May 2, 22:33 CEST
    Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to us. Sadly, our backplates are not compatible with the EVGA Hydro Copper line of water blocks. 
    Best regards, Matthew. 

Ref: GTX 1080 Ti
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/07/08 19:27:59

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 16:29:15 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to us. Sadly, our backplates are not compatible with the EVGA Hydro Copper line of water blocks. 
    Best regards, Matthew. 

Okay that makes it even more confusing lol.

Okay so there website says yes,

There support says no,

Logic says yes, but.

The screws are the issue. The stock screws (used by hydro copper) do not fit the backplate, and the EK screws (with the backplate) do not fit the Hydro Copper.

So what we need to know is what kind of screws are used by the stock block and macth them to lenght and head angle to the EKs.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 18:31:06 (permalink)
    cyberlocc
    bcavnaugh
    Hello,
    Best regards, Matthew. 

There support says no,

Logic says yes, but.

The screws are the issue. The stock screws (used by hydro copper) do not fit the backplate, and the EK screws (with the backplate) do not fit the Hydro Copper.

So what we need to know is what kind of screws are used by the stock block and macth them to lenght and head angle to the EKs.

"Okay so there website says yes,"  Have a Link to this?

cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:23:36 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    cyberlocc
    bcavnaugh
    Hello,
    Best regards, Matthew. 

There support says no,

Logic says yes, but.

"Okay so there website says yes,"  Have a Link to this?

https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/waterblock/3831109830598

And for Propensity, Click the Visual they even have a picture of the Block lol!

Now they are going to try and say some nonsense, about how they mean with there Normal Block (the HC is made by them.) but its nonsense. I have seen EK backplates used with stock coolers. 

There is no special magic with an EK block that makes an EK back plate work, it uses the same holes and screw locations that every other block/cooler uses. Like I said its just a matter of using the proper screws. 
    post edited by cyberlocc - 2017/07/08 19:26:15
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:26:26 (permalink)
    Titan X, not listed in thread but thread is under EVGA GeForce 900/TITAN X Series 
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/07/08 19:41:23

cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:28:13 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    GTX 980 Ti OK Then

?

It says titan that is really all it needs to say, the titan and 980ti blocks are exactly the same. The only diffrence is the ram on the back of a titan, the cards PCB wise are identical. I dont even have a 980ti HC block, I have a Titan X HC block on my 980ti. 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:31:31 (permalink)
    Glad they have one for you.
    I do not read the Line "Home  » All Forums  » [EVGA Graphics Cards]  » EVGA GeForce 900/TITAN X Series" for each Thread Created, my apologies.

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/07/08 19:35:49

cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:33:38 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Glad they have one for you.

Dude, the blocks are exactly the same? Titan X or 980ti same block, just a different logo on the HCs, the EK blocks do not even have the different logo, they are all labeled Titan X. 

The issue that EK is speaking of, to you. Is the screws, if we can figure out the screws then we are golden. I have seen all this covered before, and am trying to hunt it down again, when I find how to make it work I will fill you in. 
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:36:47 (permalink)
    As they are the same between the Titan X (Pascal) and the GTX 1080 Ti Graphics Cards.
    In other words I have Titan WB & Back Plates installed on all my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Graphics Cards.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/07/08 19:42:21

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24079
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:40:54 (permalink)
    Ekwb made the hydrocopper block to EVGA's specification for the 980ti. The actual waterblock from ekwb was different by many standards, but the stand offs were probably the same or near the same for the hydrocopper.. ekwb could very easily verify if the ek backplate fit 980ti hydrocopper, since they made it.
    cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:42:13 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    As they are for the Titan X (Pascal) and the GTX 1080 Ti Graphics Card.

Oh Okay no, however the IDEA is still the same. Here is the issue, the Screws that are used on the reference card and reference back plate. Are not the same as the ones that EK uses. 

We have Flat headed screws like these. 

EKs back plate needs Screws like these:

And the screws given with the backplate, are not long enough to mount the backplate, as on the EVGA backplate the hole for the screw is completely recessed where as with the EK one it needs to set in the concave. 

cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 19:47:01 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Ekwb made the hydrocopper block to EVGA's specification for the 980ti. The actual waterblock from ekwb was different by many standards, but the stand offs were probably the same or near the same for the hydrocopper.. ekwb could very easily verify if the ek backplate fit 980ti hydrocopper, since they made it.

Thats the thing though Scarlet, they just dont want to for whatever reason. 

Here is the thing, this isnt rocket science like EK wants us to believe lol. The Hydro Copper uses all the same screw locations as the EK normal block, and as the EK backplate. The issue is Flat head screws, vs recess screws, and the top of the screw on the EVGA backplate, is recessed into the backplate (so a mm lower or 2 then a EK) where the EKs screw top is at the top of the concave. 

I think the answer here is in EVGAs install instructions. We need M3-10mms to instal there backplate. (assuming that M3s are what is used)

Also Scarlet I am not sure if the stand offs are the same? As the HC uses the screws that came with the OG cooler, they are EVGA reference screws no extra screws are provided with the Hydro Copper block. 

So EK keeps saying no it doesn't work. And with there included mounting hardware they are correct it doesn't. As the screws are not long enough, however if you had longer screws it would work, why they cant say that IDK. Though I think they have said that on OCN I am trying to refind the post as it was a long time ago. 
    post edited by cyberlocc - 2017/07/08 19:49:32
    cyberlocc
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EK back plate on Hydro Copper 2017/07/08 20:03:43 (permalink)
    UPDATE found the OCN post it was my post LMAO. 

Any way, here is what EK rep was able to tell me, Thumbs up to him! 

I assume this will also apply to the 1080ti. 

1. "You can shoot us a ticket and purchase a spare EK-FC Titan X mounting mechanism, which will work well with your EVGA Hydrocopper. This way you will be able to use EK-FC Titan X Backplate:
    https://www.ekwb.com/customer-care/"

2. "I just checked: EVGA Hydrocopper uses M2.5 type screws while EK-FC Titan X uses M3 type screws.
    You would need to replace the standoffs and mounting mechanism in order to use EK-FC Titan X Backplate."

3. "The problem is that the backplate is made to use M3 DIN7991 screws (the countersunk hex head). Using smaller screws might work but it will look ugly. At this point I would recommend getting original EVGA backplate.
    Also, EVGA block uses 6 screws around GPU instead of 4, you may run into compatibility issues here."

Cut out all that I had said in reply. However I am going to fill in what I now think looking back. 

1. Moving on. 

2. I dont think so, I think we can use the M2.5 screws, just need the long ones with the countersunk head. 

3. Okay here is the thing, with above. I do not know for sure, however, looking at the huge bin of those screws I have here from Hexgear and Cold Zero, ect ect. All these screws, m2, m3, m4, all have the same countersunk head size? 

I am going to buy the backplate and report back. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile