Displayport to USB-C Alt mode?

Author
S2000Gan
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1423
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/08/19 04:17:25 (permalink)
Thinking of getting a portable monitor and I am wondering if you can connect a monitor to a RTX 30 series (or even 10 or 20 series) card to a USB-C DP1.2 Alt mode port? What about the USB-C port on the 20 series cards?
EDIT: I'm guessing that even if you can feed the video signal you would still need separate power, correct? Or can the Display port on the GPU provide power aswell?

Thanks,
S2kG
post edited by S2000Gan - 2021/08/19 04:20:57

:'( RIP EVGA GPUs :'( 2009(9500 GT) - 2019(RTX 2070)
My Rig: CPU i7-9700K   Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Code   RAM 32GB G.Skill Trident Z
Graphics Card
EVGA GTX 2070   Power Supply Corsair RM850x 
Case Fractal Design Define R6   CPU Cooling XSPC Raystorm & 2x 240mm Radiators

5 Replies Related Threads

Nazarus
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 252
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Displayport to USB-C Alt mode? 2021/08/19 07:21:53 (permalink)
    Careful with portable monitors, a few of them don't get enough power to idle them once the PC is shut down.  I had to add a thunderbolt hub to my rig to get my USB-C (only cable to the Thinkvision M14) driven monitor to get enough power to properly power it down.  It actually got so bad that the monitor would flicker on and off.  The resulting issue then started causing the PSU to bounce between power provided to no power to the PC (no power output from the PSU).

Put in OWC OWCTB4HUB5P Hub in my setup, working great now.  If you happen to go to this monitor by some random chance, keep this in mind.  Tried several cables and was unable to get it to work without the hub.  USB-C 10Gbps didn't power the monitor at all,  USB-C 20Gbps works but flicker problem remains, Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 40Gbps cables worked with a flicker problem.  Tried all of them with 100W power bandwidth.  Appears the model just needs steady power to maintain a proper running state and this was the hub was the only way I could do it.

Associates: RQAORCJB8JNEFOB/Affiliate:  YTOQRPH9OK

S2000Gan
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1423
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Displayport to USB-C Alt mode? 2021/08/19 18:58:19 (permalink)
    Nazarus
    Careful with portable monitors, a few of them don't get enough power to idle them once the PC is shut down.  I had to add a thunderbolt hub to my rig to get my USB-C (only cable to the Thinkvision M14) driven monitor to get enough power to properly power it down.  It actually got so bad that the monitor would flicker on and off.  The resulting issue then started causing the PSU to bounce between power provided to no power to the PC (no power output from the PSU).

Put in OWC OWCTB4HUB5P Hub in my setup, working great now.  If you happen to go to this monitor by some random chance, keep this in mind.  Tried several cables and was unable to get it to work without the hub.  USB-C 10Gbps didn't power the monitor at all,  USB-C 20Gbps works but flicker problem remains, Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 40Gbps cables worked with a flicker problem.  Tried all of them with 100W power bandwidth.  Appears the model just needs steady power to maintain a proper running state and this was the hub was the only way I could do it.

What gpu are you using? As far as i can tell the 20 series gpus with the USB-C port are the only ones capable of even potentially working with these portable monitors over a single cable.
    Just using a Displayport to USB-C cable seems like it will only work as a video cable not power & video.
    The M14 was one I was considering but the lack of hdmi was the reason I wanted to ask my original question.
    I ended up just going with one that has hdmi and will just have 2 cables going to the monitor. No big deal. 

:'( RIP EVGA GPUs :'( 2009(9500 GT) - 2019(RTX 2070)
    My Rig: CPU i7-9700K   Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Code   RAM 32GB G.Skill Trident Z
    Graphics Card
    EVGA GTX 2070   Power Supply Corsair RM850x 
    Case Fractal Design Define R6   CPU Cooling XSPC Raystorm & 2x 240mm Radiators

Nazarus
    iCX Member
    Re: Displayport to USB-C Alt mode? 2021/08/19 22:53:14 (permalink)
    The bypass is getting a processor and motherboard capable of video. Then you turn on the IGFX ( integrated graphics card ). Essentially having a second video card.

Im not going to game on that monitor so completely happy with how it works out.

Nazarus
    iCX Member
    Re: Displayport to USB-C Alt mode? 2021/08/20 21:37:35 (permalink)
    I did run into a small issue with my hub.  It's Thunderbolt 4 so naturally I'm going to have issues since the port its plugged into is Thunderbolt 3.  Nothing major.  The hub itself has a standard plug USB 3.1 10Gpbs port on it and it is regarded by windows as a hub.  Shows up as Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft).  This port doesn't get enough power from Windows or something of the sort, basically goes bonkers.  I just disabled the port in device manager and all is well.  Never planned on plugging a standard USB cable into the hub anyways. 

Nazarus
    iCX Member
    Re: Displayport to USB-C Alt mode? 2021/08/29 18:03:08 (permalink)
    Club 3D 4K 60Hz HDMI to USB Type C Adapter HDMI 2.0 (Male) to USB Type C (Female) Active Monitor Converter (CAC-1332) https://smile.amazon.com/...c_C924W0QYPY4Z0SHWW6JD

The German version of this has been working well if you you need hdmi. I’m going to test this rebrand.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile