Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DJN001
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/05/27 20:56:09 (permalink)
I recently deshrouded my 3090 FTW3 and replaced the stock fans in an attempt to reduce the fan noise at load, or at least improve the tone of the noise. I mine with my personal PC when I'm not gaming, and I found the stock fans to be too loud after ~50%. Unsurprisingly, there's very little info out there on deshrouding this card or whether it's worth it, considering all 30-series cards are hard to buy right now. Here's some photos of the finished product, along with my notes and recommendations:

Finished

Before zipties

Ziptie reference

Ziptie reference

Ziptie reference

I first did a "test" deshroud of my card with Arctic P12 fans that I already owned, just to see if it would be worth it. I found that cooling performance with the P12s didn't seem any better than the stock fans at the same speeds, but the noise profile was much more tolerable, and the P12s at 100% speed sounded much better than the stock fans at 60%. This seemed promising, so I ended up ordering 3x NF-A9s to do the deshroud I initially intended.

Do the NF-A9s perform any better than the Arctic P12s? Not really - cooling performance and noise seemed pretty similar in both mining (memory junction temp) and gaming (quick and dirty Heaven benchmark with static case fan speeds). I kind of expected this, as it's no surprise that 2x 120mm fans can perform just as well as 3x 92mm fans, even if the 120mm fans can't sit flush on the heatsink due to EVGA's weird heatsink design. I really like how the NF-A9s look though, so I'm happy with how it turned out. Ultimately, I would recommend deshrouding your 30-series FTW3 card if you want a better noise profile, but I would not expect a significant improvement in max thermals. Both 120mm and 92mm fans worked well for me.

Here's a dump of the links and notes I collected while I was researching this mod. It contains links to other posts where people shared their experience deshrouding their 30-series card, as well as notes on things that I didn't get into in this post (posts recommending against this mod, aesthetic concerns, etc). I think it'll be helpful to anyone considering a similar mod, but if you're reading this and have further questions, feel free to ask here or message me!

31 Replies Related Threads

bnr32jason
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 116
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/05/27 21:04:20 (permalink)
    Well this is interesting. Never thought about doing this with a GPU. I always assumed de-shrouding would mess up the airflow path.
    mattfo0
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/05/29 01:09:00 (permalink)
    Great work with this! Any chance you are aware of a similar mod for replacing quieter fans on the ftw3 ultra hybrid? Or even have some personal experience?

I’d guess it’s probably a less technical project since two fans are on the radiator and only one in the shroud.

EVGA mentions they can be changed but I’m not finding any useful documentation. Would be so, so happy to replace with fans that have similar performance but quieter at higher RPM.
    eg1122
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/05/29 07:16:21 (permalink)
    mattfo0
    Great work with this! Any chance you are aware of a similar mod for replacing quieter fans on the ftw3 ultra hybrid? Or even have some personal experience?

I’d guess it’s probably a less technical project since two fans are on the radiator and only one in the shroud.

EVGA mentions they can be changed but I’m not finding any useful documentation. Would be so, so happy to replace with fans that have similar performance but quieter at higher RPM.

The fans on the rad are a straight up swap. You can put any 120mm fans you like on them. The one on the card is not as simple. If you want a quieter fan on the card you would need to remove the shroud and find a way to mount a fan on there, probably with zip ties. There is a post somewhere around of a guy who removed the hybrid shroud. I myself have removed 3 hybrid shrouds in order to repaste it, but always put it all back together. It is not difficult but it does require some knowledge. There are videos online you can refer to. 3090 and 3080 FTW3 Hybrid assembly/disassembly is pretty much identical.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K
    Cooling: Corsair iCue H150i RGB Pro XT
    Fans: 6x Corsair LL120, 4x Corsair ML120 RGB (Capellix), 4x Corsair ML120 Pro RGB
    Mother Board: MSI MEG Z590 Ace
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
    RAM: 4x 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance @XMP 3600mhz
    SSDs(NVME): 1x WD Black SN850 1TB, 1x WD Black SN750 1TB, 1x WD Blue SN550 2TB
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X3
    Case: Corsair Crystal Series 680x
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2
    Monitor: Asus Strix XG32VQ (144hz)
    Keyboard: Corsair K100 - Cherry MX
    Mouse: Logitech MX Master
    Nate7051
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/05/29 07:21:02 (permalink)
    niceee
    DJN001
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/06/01 19:59:02 (permalink)
    mattfo0

I'm not familiar with the Hybrid model, but if what eg1122 said is true about the Hybrid and regular FTW3 models being similar, I'd assure you that the deshrouding the FTW3 is very simple. It's just some screws and few fan headers - there's no paste, pads, or warranty stickers to deal with. I would just recommend tweezers for disconnecting the fan headers more easily.
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/06/01 20:14:51 (permalink)
    mattfo0

Yes. A12's are probably the quietest and great at about 1800rpm. Recommend push pull, externally powered fan hub w/card PWM signal and using gaffing tape to seal to the radiator.  2150 rpm Gentle Typhoons are good too, cheaper, more powerful but not quite as quiet.  I've run the quad of A12's, A12 pair plus stock and now have a quad of 120x38 3400 rpm San Ace server fans with custom 1/4" spacers - 49C at 445w Furmark and max fans.  Did not mess with the shroud or VRM fan, even at max power you only need to run it at about 75%.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/06/01 20:16:34
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/06/01 20:18:37 (permalink)
    DJN001
    I recently deshrouded my 3090 FTW3 and replaced the stock fans......

Really nice work there, too bad there's not a 92mm quiet pressure fan like the A12, at least that I'm aware of.
    jpender14
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/06/01 22:11:34 (permalink)
    DJN001
    I recently deshrouded my 3090 FTW3 and replaced the stock fans in an attempt to reduce the fan noise at load, or at least improve the tone of the noise. I mine with my personal PC when I'm not gaming, and I found the stock fans to be too loud after ~50%. Unsurprisingly, there's very little info out there on deshrouding this card or whether it's worth it, considering all 30-series cards are hard to buy right now. Here's some photos of the finished product, along with my notes and recommendations:

Finished

Before zipties

Ziptie reference

Ziptie reference

Ziptie reference

I first did a "test" deshroud of my card with Arctic P12 fans that I already owned, just to see if it would be worth it. I found that cooling performance with the P12s didn't seem any better than the stock fans at the same speeds, but the noise profile was much more tolerable, and the P12s at 100% speed sounded much better than the stock fans at 60%. This seemed promising, so I ended up ordering 3x NF-A9s to do the deshroud I initially intended.

Do the NF-A9s perform any better than the Arctic P12s? Not really - cooling performance and noise seemed pretty similar in both mining (memory junction temp) and gaming (quick and dirty Heaven benchmark with static case fan speeds). I kind of expected this, as it's no surprise that 2x 120mm fans can perform just as well as 3x 92mm fans, even if the 120mm fans can't sit flush on the heatsink due to EVGA's weird heatsink design. I really like how the NF-A9s look though, so I'm happy with how it turned out. Ultimately, I would recommend deshrouding your 30-series FTW3 card if you want a better noise profile, but I would not expect a significant improvement in max thermals. Both 120mm and 92mm fans worked well for me.

Here's a dump of the links and notes I collected while I was researching this mod. It contains links to other posts where people shared their experience deshrouding their 30-series card, as well as notes on things that I didn't get into in this post (posts recommending against this mod, aesthetic concerns, etc). I think it'll be helpful to anyone considering a similar mod, but if you're reading this and have further questions, feel free to ask here or message me!

My man about to become a new AIB player in the GPU market ;)
    Skokiaan
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/06/02 21:28:20 (permalink)
    Can’t wait to make use of this when I can finally snag one.
    Montana.Actual
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/08 17:04:36 (permalink)
    It's unfortunate that EVGA had to use such weird heatsinks. I wouldn't mind dremeling my card to make things sit flush, but when the heatsinks on both sides overlap it's too much. Those portions I would NOT dremel. Any part that is just meant to mount stock equipment to that is not actually heatsink related would be simple cuts. I am still tempted to do this with the fans you used. I would much rather have used two or three NF-A12x25's. I doubt 3 would fit, but still my favorite fans and same as my case and CPU cooler fans. It would also remove the ugly inaccurately colored RGB strip thing that EVGA decided to use. That thing is gaudy. Anyways, I am sure at one point I will experiment with this. As long as temps are not higher than with stock fans, it seems worth it to me. I hate the GPU fans being the loudest thing in my case. Also, did you plug the fans into the headers on the GPU? Use a splitter? Or just go to the MOBO? I'd also like to see some shots of it in action in the case. TBH, I think it looks great with the Noctua's on it. Better than stock. I don't even notice the zip ties which is good. Some would call it ghetto, but if ghetto means quieter and same if not better temps, then I guess I'm from the hood.

NOTE TO EVGA: Next time around, use flush heatsinks please. This would also allow you to increase stock fan size. Just sayin...
    post edited by Montana.Actual - 2021/09/08 17:07:34
    Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/18 02:03:50 (permalink)
    Well, I am about to make this happen, got the fans on order. Just a quick question: Did you need to replace any thermal pads? If so what did you use?
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/18 02:29:23 (permalink)
    I would wonder how this would effect the thermals for when it ramps up under load. I kind of figured the shroud would be for air flow and so to remove it you might be reducing the ability of the GPU to ramp up and efficiently cool itself. It would be interesting to see what the numbers are with the shroud on and deshrouded for each of the ICX sensors while running a few benchmarks to see if the shroud helps cool any areas of the GPU better.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2021/09/18 02:36:40

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/18 19:26:36 (permalink)
    My concern is not when it ramps up for long durations, because the fans are essentially the same and the shroud really doesn't do anything other than aesthetics. In fact, it might help removing to increase air flow from the case, depending on your case airflow. Actually, the fan shroud on these cards seem to be more restrictive to air flow than anything else. My main concern is thermal pad replacement. I have enough 1.5mm pads, but from watching a couple videos of tear downs on the FE cards, especially JayzTwoCents, they replaced thermal pads multiple times to get the right thickness and temps. Again, that is founders edition cards, and I have yet to see a really good instructional on the EVGA FTW cards, but I figure I'll be a Guinea pig for the internets viewing pleasure. Thermal pads will help more than anything. The fan replacement is just for noise. Nothing more. Stock fans are REALLY noisy.

*EDIT* According to the Gamers NExus video I saw, you don't need to remove anything other than the shroud side with the fans. Not really hard at all. I plan on taking this a step further and redoing thermal pads (adding thermal pads in replacement of EVGA's crappy thermal paste stuff) and doing the legwork in testing to make sure the correct sizes are used to mitigate temps. So, in case you wanted to just do fans, you don't need to remove the topside of the GPU and mess with anything. You can simply remove the shroud side and nothing else. I also plan on soldering cables myself and wiring everything into the PWM header on the GPU to avoid needing a fan hub in my case or using the motherboard. My Z590 ROG-E does not have temp sensors close to the PCIE lanes, it simply has "motherboard" sensors. Not a "fan" of those. I'll keep it simple and let the GPU do it's own legwork for fan curves. From what I read in the notes according to one poster on imgur, their fan curve at 30% gives them temps of 75c. That's pretty awesome. This was an SFF case with 2x120mm (thin fans) so I assume that the 92mm's won't need much more at all to keep temps below 70. Hopefully the new thermal pads and tests prove to keep temps well below 65c without even undervolting. That would be my dream here ;)
    post edited by Montana.Actual - 2021/09/18 20:40:21
    nosomo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/18 20:04:53 (permalink)
    Montana.Actual
    My concern is not when it ramps up for long durations, because the fans are essentially the same and the shroud really doesn't do anything other than aesthetics. In fact, it might help removing to increase air flow from the case, depending on your case airflow. Actually, the fan shroud on these cards seem to be more restrictive to air flow than anything else. My main concern is thermal pad replacement. I have enough 1.5mm pads, but from watching a couple videos of tear downs on the FE cards, especially JayzTwoCents, they replaced thermal pads multiple times to get the right thickness and temps. Again, that is founders edition cards, and I have yet to see a really good instructional on the EVGA FTW cards, but I figure I'll be a Guinea pig for the internets viewing pleasure. Thermal pads will help more than anything. The fan replacement is just for noise. Nothing more. Stock fans are REALLY noisy.

In this forum you will find the specs for all thermal pads.  The primary side's memory pads are 2.25mm.

Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/18 20:41:32 (permalink)
    nosomo

In this forum you will find the specs for all thermal pads.  The primary side's memory pads are 2.25mm.

Beefy boi's. I found a thread on the 3090's they mentioned that. 2.2mm is not even a thing that I would know where to find. SMH, looks like I might be putting that on hold for a while. I'll keep searching. Would be nice to know the thermal paste application stuff too. Maybe I'll give them a shout on a support ticket and see what it would take to replace that paste with a pad. But I don't know where to find 2.2mm pads. Maybe 2 would work? I assume I'd need thicker ones for replacing the paste. Looks like if I do go that route it's either going to be 2 or 2.5... so I have some testing to do. Oh joy.
    post edited by Montana.Actual - 2021/09/18 20:46:06
    Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/18 20:49:36 (permalink)
    Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/23 00:23:41 (permalink)
    Well, I did it as a test run. Drastic increase in temps. Not sure what's going on. The fans might not be running properly but even at 100% I am seeing 10 degrees hotter after about a half hour of gaming. The noise is much quieter, but this requires all my case fans at 100%, which they usually were anyways. Still, I'd like to see temps closer to where they were. I am going to trouble shoot my pwm daisy chain and make sure all fans are running correctly. I will also try a motherboard header. I did get some 3rd party adapters to plug the PWM connections into the 3 slots my GPU has. Maybe that will help. I did have to open EVGA Precision X1 and mess with the fan curves and settings to get them to recognize the fans but I hate Precision and I get different readings from it and Afterburner. They do seem to be working with afterburner now after redoing the fan curve settings and syncing all fans through Precision. At first Afterburner would not do anything. So, I still have some troubleshooting to do, but as of right now, temps increased drastically and I may end up swapping back.?

This could all be avoided if EVGA used a flat heatsink. 2x120 Noctua NF-A12x25 would be much more optimal here. I am just hoping that increase in temps is due to a fan not fully spinning instead of the shroud being removed. Something doesn't seem right. I expected similar temps within a couple degrees. Will update soon.
    nosomo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/23 01:06:11 (permalink)
    Montana.Actual
    Well, I did it as a test run. Drastic increase in temps. Not sure what's going on. The fans might not be running properly but even at 100% I am seeing 10 degrees hotter after about a half hour of gaming. The noise is much quieter, but this requires all my case fans at 100%, which they usually were anyways. Still, I'd like to see temps closer to where they were. I am going to trouble shoot my pwm daisy chain and make sure all fans are running correctly. I will also try a motherboard header. I did get some 3rd party adapters to plug the PWM connections into the 3 slots my GPU has. Maybe that will help. I did have to open EVGA Precision X1 and mess with the fan curves and settings to get them to recognize the fans but I hate Precision and I get different readings from it and Afterburner. They do seem to be working with afterburner now after redoing the fan curve settings and syncing all fans through Precision. At first Afterburner would not do anything. So, I still have some troubleshooting to do, but as of right now, temps increased drastically and I may end up swapping back.?

This could all be avoided if EVGA used a flat heatsink. 2x120 Noctua NF-A12x25 would be much more optimal here. I am just hoping that increase in temps is due to a fan not fully spinning instead of the shroud being removed. Something doesn't seem right. I expected similar temps within a couple degrees. Will update soon.

What is your end goal?  What are you trying to achieve here?

What exactly did you do?  You came into a thread about swapping out fans, asked about thermal pads...?

Kasque
    • Total Posts : 100
    Flagged as Spam (3)
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/23 05:56:20 (permalink)
    FTW edition is pretty loud for me 
    Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/23 22:58:44 (permalink)
    nosomo
    Montana.Actual

What is your end goal?  What are you trying to achieve here?

What exactly did you do?  You came into a thread about swapping out fans, asked about thermal pads...?

I came into a thread for ideas on managing temps and noise. It doesn't just end at a fan swap. I can add things when I have questions, right? I did exactly what OP did. Exactly. In a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact with 3x Noctua A12x25's up front, 1 rear, and one top near the rear with a NH-U12A for the CPU. My goal is always temps and airflow. I simply mentioned what I saw from a breakdown video I watched on GamersNexus for info about removing the shroud and how thermal pads would be nice to replace for possibly lower temps, which JayzTwoCents managed to do with a lot of extra work. Is that a problem?

K.

I replaced the stock shroud due to high temps. I tried in exhaust and got the same results. I tried using a mobo fan header and got the same results. Could be this is only helpful for certain cases. Just adding my take and experiments on it.
    Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/23 23:02:47 (permalink)
    austin86
    I seen this done before, it works great if you have the room for the taller fans and have a way to secure them. What kind of temp difference did you have?

From my experience temps increased more than 10 degrees. The 120mm or 140mm would be a great experiment and has proven to reduce noise and temps on other GPU's from people that have done the modification. They just don't fit on these GPU's.

It's kind of amazing how the shroud does more than just looks, apparently. I definitely noticed a massive increase in airflow coming out the sides of the GPU, but apparently it was too much or didn't cover enough and the removal of the shroud left too much heatsink without airflow. Odd, but that was my experience.
    Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/25 21:48:49 (permalink)
    This is why I wonder if the 120mm's would make a difference or not. I'd like to try it. I have a couple extra fans I could try on my next couple days off, maybe I'll give it a shot. Extra coverage may help more than being flush on the heatsinks.

All this wasn't even the odd part tho, it was trying to get the fans to work in Afterburner. They just wouldn't. Precision would detect the extra PWM header as "fan 4" but Afterburner would not run the fans at all no matter what mode I tried running them in.
    post edited by Montana.Actual - 2021/09/25 21:50:18
    Binliner
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/09/30 22:46:07 (permalink)
    Thank you, DJN001! Great post and the details are very helpful. It inspired me to deshroud my EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti FTW3 ULTRA and the results are good. I will provide details on my process for those interested: 

Problem: The three stock fans on the GPU are loud at gaming temperatures and need to be replaced. However, the 3060 TI FTW3 Ultra has an annoying design where there are tabs sticking out from the heatsink. Removing the shroud and fans is simple and the same as for the 3080 but you are then left with an uneven surface to which it is not possible to mount large fans without modification.

Solution: To get around this I used two pieces of 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch aluminum angle, which can be found at the hardware store. Cut to the length of the card, the angle can be attached to the same tabs used for supporting the shroud. Drilling holes in the angle allows the same screws to be used as well. Once attached, the angle resembles two parallel rails and provides a flat surface for mounting fans.

Fans: I used two Arctic 120mm P12 fans since I had some around, they overhang the card but work fine. The fans are secured with zip ties for now but my plan is to get some Noctua 92mm fans and secure them to the angle with screws. The P12 fans have a splitter which allows two fans to be connected together and then into a single motherboard fan header. I am not using the GPU headers; but I believe they would require a CRJ 4-Pin PWM GPU Fan Adapter Cable.

Fan Curves: The two fans need to be governed by GPU temperatures. To do this I used Argus Monitor, which I highly recommend. Using this software, I was able to set my motherboard fan header to respond to GPU temperatures. I then set the fan curve for this header as follows: 40c=10%, 50c=20%, 60c=50%, 70c=70%, 80c=80%, 85c=90%, 90c=100%. Originally, I was using the GPU temperature but have found that setting source temperature to GPU Hot Spot allows for better control over temperature spikes when gaming. Argus Monitor allows for further customization such as setting hysteresis, which keeps fan rpm from oscillating due to quick temperature fluctuations.

Temp Results: Gaming temperatures remain the same as with the stock fans and shroud, around 70c for GPU and 85c for GPU hot spot. However, these results could be improved by adjusting the fan curves to be more aggressive.

Volume Results: The main benefit is the absence of noise! At gaming temperatures, the P12s were running at around 1500rpm and were whisper quiet as opposed to the stock fans which produced a distinct and loud whine when under stress.    

Areas for improvement: 1. Procure three Noctua NF-A9 fans and mount them using screws to the angle rails. I am very excited to see how clean this will look. 2. Cut out the top portions of the rails where they impede airflow into the cooler.
    Binliner
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/10/02 15:32:15 (permalink)
    Added the Noctua fans! Temperatures have improved slightly but the 92mm Noctua fans are a bit louder than the 120mm Artic P12s. Used the Noctua vibration compensators to attach the fans to the rails.
    post edited by Binliner - 2021/10/02 15:50:11
    Montana.Actual
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/10/11 17:12:44 (permalink)
    Yea, I feel like more information is needed when people do this mod. What case did you do it in, what is the entire setup and case fans/airflow. Honestly shocked I seem to be the only one in the history of this mod reporting an increase in temps. My build is on mods rigs and here:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/394nTW
    Binliner
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/10/12 11:35:15 (permalink)
    There are a lot of parameters. The professional reviewers with testing set ups can provide definitive results, everyone else has to deal with 'it depends on your system'. Also, I think the fan curves used make a huge difference. Are we testing with fans at 100% or some lower value that is balancing noise and performance?  
    Finbester
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/12/20 04:57:56 (permalink)
    Binliner
    Thank you, DJN001! Great post and the details are very helpful. It inspired me to deshroud my EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti FTW3 ULTRA and the results are good. I will provide details on my process for those interested: 

Problem: The three stock fans on the GPU are loud at gaming temperatures and need to be replaced. However, the 3060 TI FTW3 Ultra has an annoying design where there are tabs sticking out from the heatsink. Removing the shroud and fans is simple and the same as for the 3080 but you are then left with an uneven surface to which it is not possible to mount large fans without modification.

Solution: To get around this I used two pieces of 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch aluminum angle, which can be found at the hardware store. Cut to the length of the card, the angle can be attached to the same tabs used for supporting the shroud. Drilling holes in the angle allows the same screws to be used as well. Once attached, the angle resembles two parallel rails and provides a flat surface for mounting fans.

Fans: I used two Arctic 120mm P12 fans since I had some around, they overhang the card but work fine. The fans are secured with zip ties for now but my plan is to get some Noctua 92mm fans and secure them to the angle with screws. The P12 fans have a splitter which allows two fans to be connected together and then into a single motherboard fan header. I am not using the GPU headers; but I believe they would require a CRJ 4-Pin PWM GPU Fan Adapter Cable.

Fan Curves: The two fans need to be governed by GPU temperatures. To do this I used Argus Monitor, which I highly recommend. Using this software, I was able to set my motherboard fan header to respond to GPU temperatures. I then set the fan curve for this header as follows: 40c=10%, 50c=20%, 60c=50%, 70c=70%, 80c=80%, 85c=90%, 90c=100%. Originally, I was using the GPU temperature but have found that setting source temperature to GPU Hot Spot allows for better control over temperature spikes when gaming. Argus Monitor allows for further customization such as setting hysteresis, which keeps fan rpm from oscillating due to quick temperature fluctuations.

Temp Results: Gaming temperatures remain the same as with the stock fans and shroud, around 70c for GPU and 85c for GPU hot spot. However, these results could be improved by adjusting the fan curves to be more aggressive.

Volume Results: The main benefit is the absence of noise! At gaming temperatures, the P12s were running at around 1500rpm and were whisper quiet as opposed to the stock fans which produced a distinct and loud whine when under stress.    

Areas for improvement: 1. Procure three Noctua NF-A9 fans and mount them using screws to the angle rails. I am very excited to see how clean this will look. 2. Cut out the top portions of the rails where they impede airflow into the cooler.

Does 92mm noctuas fit without bending the tabs and without using the aluminium angle?
    ericc191
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1441
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/12/20 12:01:26 (permalink)
    Yes I would love to know if 92mm fit inside? Love my 3080 Ti, but those EVGA fans have the WORST sound profile. It really is disappointing

Heatware
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @5GHz 1.28v
    Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB
    Mobo: Asus Z390i Gaming
    RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Royal 16GB 3200MHz
    SSD: Intel 660P 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2
    GPU: EVGA GTX 2080 Ti (Custom Hybrid) 2150MHz
    PSU: Corsair HX1000i
    Case: White Caselabs(RIP) Mercury S3
    Display: Alienware AW3418DW 21:9 120Hz GSync
    Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless
    Keyboard: Max Keyboard Blackbird
    Audio: Infinity IL10 paired to SA-50 amp
    BiggyNewton
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 145
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Deshrouding the 30-series FTW3 for noise reduction 2021/12/22 06:51:52 (permalink)
    Montana.Actual
    Yea, I feel like more information is needed when people do this mod. What case did you do it in, what is the entire setup and case fans/airflow. Honestly shocked I seem to be the only one in the history of this mod reporting an increase in temps. My build is on mods rigs and here:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/394nTW

Could easily be the pad replacement you did.  When I did my 3080 I got a small bump in core temps in exchange for a small decrease in mem temps.  After working with a 5700xt pad replacement I've realized that if the pads are even a bit thicker than stock you will increase the core temp due to changes in clearance.

Associate code: EKA5I8R4C7M401L
    Thanks to anyone using my code!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile