AnsweredDG-76 radiator question

Author
stalmage
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/11/18 14:18:17 (permalink)

I've have the EVGA CLC 120 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler (400-HY-CL12-V1) and I'm considering setting up a liquid cooling loop for the two EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC (08G-P4-2182-KR) cards I've bought.  However, I'm, not sure if there's room in the case for both the CLC 120 and a second 240mm radiator.

There doesn't appear to be enough headroom at the top of the case for a radiator and the fan opening on the back can only hold a single-fan radiator.  On the front of the case, with the CLC 120 installed, I don't think a 240mm radiator will fit, even if I rotate the CLC 120 so that the hoses come out the side rather than the top.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I've attached a picture to show what I'm talking about.

napalmweasel
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: DG-76 radiator question 2018/11/18 18:34:05 (permalink)
I have the DG-76 case and the CLC-280 cooler. Not quite the same as what you're dealing with, but here's my take on what it can do.

Based on the picture I'm 99% sure there's not enough room to mount both the 120 and 240 in the front. That leaves a couple options.

If you top-mount the 240, you have two choices:
1) Try to cram all the RGB header cables to the front and mount the 240 at the front, allowing for the rear-facing fan.
2) Remove the rear fan and mount the 240 at the rear of the top.

If you front-mount the 240, there are a few places you could stick the 120:
1) Front or middle hole in the top of the case.
2) Rear mount, but the rear top fan would be mostly covered and you would be putting some massive bends in the hoses.

Good luck!
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: DG-76 radiator question 2018/11/18 21:19:10 (permalink)
Did you notice no dust filter at the top of DG-7* series case. It looks like the fans are pulling air in instead of out of the case. Hardwarecanucks did a review on DG-7* series, they pointed out you can't mount a dual fan radiator up top due to the case not having offset mounting holes.

You will probably have to find a different case. One that has proper offset mounting holes at the top to give you more mounting options.

napalmweasel
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: DG-76 radiator question 2018/11/18 21:33:13 (permalink)
With all the cold air coming in the front, OP shouldn't have an issue exhausting out the top. And there are plenty of mounting holes for 120mm or 140mm fans.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: DG-76 radiator question 2018/11/18 22:33:42 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby stalmage 2018/11/19 13:56:35
MSim
Did you notice no dust filter at the top of DG-7* series case. It looks like the fans are pulling air in instead of out of the case. Hardwarecanucks did a review on DG-7* series, they pointed out you can't mount a dual fan radiator up top due to the case not having offset mounting holes.

You will probably have to find a different case. One that has proper offset mounting holes at the top to give you more mounting options.

The DG-76 does have 140mm fan holes and should be able to support three 120mm fans or two 140mm fans up top same with the front while the back only supports a single 120mm fan. Based on that I feel that he would be able to get the 240 up top. That or he could move the 120 to the top and the 240 to the front.

One thing to consider is putting the 120mm on the back of the case. Then the 240mm on the front. As long as the case isn't a rats nest of cables and airflow is good inside the case it won't cause that much difference from where you have it right now and would be almost like the fans pushing heat out of the top in which you talked about having the 240. Only downfall is you might not get it in the back and still be able to fit three case fans up top. In that case I would just throw in a couple 140mm and move them back out of the way of touching the back.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: DG-76 radiator question 2018/11/19 13:36:05 (permalink)
Hoggle
MSim

The DG-76 does have 140mm fan holes and should be able to support three 120mm fans or two 140mm fans up top same with the front while the back only supports a single 120mm fan. Based on that I feel that he would be able to get the 240 up top. That or he could move the 120 to the top and the 240 to the front.

One thing to consider is putting the 120mm on the back of the case. Then the 240mm on the front. As long as the case isn't a rats nest of cables and airflow is good inside the case it won't cause that much difference from where you have it right now and would be almost like the fans pushing heat out of the top in which you talked about having the 240. Only downfall is you might not get it in the back and still be able to fit three case fans up top. In that case I would just throw in a couple 140mm and move them back out of the way of touching the back.

The case supports fans up top but according to reviewers like Hardwarecanucks, not having off set holes, it prevents you from being able to mount a radiator up top.

It would be helpful if evga would include images like Fractal Design does for it's cases on newegg.  Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG FD-CA-MESH-C-BKO-TG Black ATX Mid Tower images.

Fractal Design Meshify C Radiator mounting spots

Fractal Design Meshify C showing all the filters

stalmage
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: DG-76 radiator question 2018/11/19 14:00:36 (permalink)
Hoggle

I think this is the way I'll need to go, with the 120mm radiator in the back and a 240mm radiator in the front.  By setting up both the front and back fans to draw air in, a couple fans in the top pushing air out should be sufficient to keep everything cool.  I was hoping to have three fans on top (for aesthetic reasons) but I can live with just two.

Now I just need to figure out where I can put a pump and reservoir.

Thanks!
post edited by stalmage - 2018/11/19 14:01:43
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile