Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage

Author
Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 45
2021/11/24 10:16:20 (permalink)
TechTimes - Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage

“Some crypto miners are moving out of Kazakhstan and transferring to countries like Russia and the United States due to the electricity shortage in the Asian country, according to the co-founder of a crypto mining firm called Xive.

Xive itself has announced that it will be moving out of southern Kazakhstan, but the announcement has not made clear if the firm will be moving to another part of the country or not.

Kazakhstan is the second-largest crypto mining country in the whole world after the United States. It has generally welcomed crypto miners into the country, especially those who left China after crypto was considered illegal there.

However, the energy shortages in Kazakhstan have been blamed on crypto mining, which contributed to the surge in demand for power in the Asian nation.

There are crypto miners who are moving out of Kazakhstan due to the country's electricity shortage problems, according to the co-founder of a crypto mining firm called Xive.

According to a report by Fortune, Didar Bekbau announced in a tweet posted on his personal Twitter account that his crypto mining firm is moving out of southern Kazakhstan.

The Fortune report says that Bekbau pointed to electricity shortages as well as ‘a national grid that makes it hard to transfer power from energy-rich areas in the north to more energy scarce regions in the south’ as the reasons why that area of the country is no longer ideal for crypto mining.

Bekbau has also claimed that some crypto mining firms in Asian countries are moving to places like Russia and the United States with more consistent electricity.

The government of Kazakhstan has generally welcomed the crypto miners into the country, but the increase has strained Kazakhstan's energy supply.

Per Fortune, the country's lawmakers have blamed the electricity shortages on crypto mining. Kazakhstan's energy minister, Murat Zhurebekov, said it created an 8% surge in demand for energy.

The government has since encouraged crypto mining firms ‘to develop independent renewable energy capacity,’ according to the report by CoinDesk.”

My thoughts:  The grass isn't always greener so who knows where they will end up.  I don’t think that the Kazakhstan government’s suggestion to develop a renewable energy source will be heeded.

6 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage 2021/11/24 11:41:49 (permalink)
    It will be interesting to see what happens if they start putting a strain on the Russian power grid. I could see a crackdown that comes hard and if they crack down it could really hurt. The other thing to watch is if the crackdown in China lasts longer then the winter games in February 2022.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Chaos_21
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4524
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage 2021/11/24 16:42:02 (permalink)
    Crypto should have been banned long ago. It is nothing but a harbour for criminal activity anyway. 

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Intel Core i9-12900K- EVGA 360 CLC Cooler-Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB 3200mhz-2TB  Solidigm P41 Plus M.2 SSD--Three 1TB 970 EVO SSD's-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA-Corsair HX1000i-Windows 11 64bit-Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Case.      
     Steam     Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chaos_21
     Use my associate code: JBGVM12HDYDJPIM to get 5%-10% discount on EVGA purchases.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage 2021/11/24 22:55:45 (permalink)
    Chaos_21
    Crypto should have been banned long ago. It is nothing but a harbour for criminal activity anyway. 

Isn't it strange that all the leftist New Green Deal types have not been beating their drums over crypto mining, considering the electricity being used and the amount of pollution that is caused in order to generate that electricity. Gee I wonder why that could be...

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage 2021/11/25 00:12:59 (permalink)
    I think many countries will eventually take action against those who are using much more electricity then they should. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Flint 1760
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8295
    • Ribbons : 45
    Re: Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage 2021/11/25 05:11:43 (permalink)
    Who knows where they eventually will end up.  I can see them in certain countries where, for a piece of the action, the government will leave them alone.

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Crypto Miners are Moving Out of Kazakhstan Due to Electricity Shortage 2021/11/26 17:26:37 (permalink)
    What sucks is these miners are the reason stupid laws get brought into existence, like that law out in cali banning pc's with X sized psu's for a bit. I was just shaking my head... 

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile