EVGA

Can I use a cable that doesn't fit the PSU?

Author
kired
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/12/01 10:51:43 (permalink)
Hello guys, I wasn't able to find this online, maybe because I don't know how to phrase it in english in something that makes sense in a search, idk 
Thanks in advance for your time.

So to make things short I seem to have lost one of my PSU cables... f
The PSU is the EVGA 550 G3 Supernova. It must have had 2 PCI-e cables, since it has 2 slots. But now I only have got one cable that says "EVGA" and "VGA G3". I've got another one that I assume is from another PSU, it looks high quality enough, it has the 2x 6+2pin on the other side.
It won't fit the PSU though, one of the pins on the cable has the square plastic and the hole in the PSU is the rounded one. It fits if I force a little (did it without realising it was different, I thought they were all the same).
The change is because I'm switching graphics cards.
The thing is, will it explode if I turn it on with the "wrong" cable? Is this a special evga cable or where can I get it?

Some pics to make it easier:
Correct cable that was in use

"Wrong" cable:

"Wrong" cable connector:

PSU slot:

It won't fit because of the upper right .. "pin slot"? The plastic on the cable is square.

I'm a little lost here, so I appreciate any help!!

4 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 16559
    • Ribbons : 271
    Re: Can I use a cable that doesn't fit the PSU? 2020/12/01 10:55:40 (permalink)
    I wouldn't.  Only way to know for sure is to use a multimeter and verify that every pin one one end connects to every corresponding pin on the other end the same for both cables.  Without knowing that for certainty, I would not use it.  If the connectors are different and don't physically fit, it is probably because they are not compatible.  The pinout and order of the wires on the PSU side is not standardized.  They could be totally different.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11318
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Can I use a cable that doesn't fit the PSU? 2020/12/01 11:26:57 (permalink)
    I would call EVGA and see if they can send you out a new cable.
    They are pretty good about that. Make sure you register the PSU before you call or summit a ticket.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

kired
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Can I use a cable that doesn't fit the PSU? 2020/12/01 12:31:07 (permalink)
    Thank you for the replies, I'll go about finding a new one. I'll try evga as well, thanks for the tip.

bob16314
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7859
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Can I use a cable that doesn't fit the PSU? 2020/12/01 13:07:04 (permalink)
    If it don't fit then it's not supposed to and the power and ground pinout is almost certainly different and could cause component damage.

The only way to know for sure is to check with a voltmeter..You can buy an el cheapo like this one at Walmart or just about any auto parts store that will do the job..You can remove and rearrange the terminals on the GPU-end as necessary according to the correct pinout..Sense terminals are ground..Component-end pinout is industry-standard while the PSU-end pinout can be different because there's no industry-standard there and that's the problem..Pinout diagrams are shown as if you are looking into the end of the connector, unless otherwise specified.

You can buy the correct cable here or here from EVGA or Contact EVGA about getting the 2x 6+2pin cable.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile