Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop - nice machine, great value

Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18917
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2020/09/27 20:37:21 (permalink)

I purchased a 17.3" Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop last week for my daughter for full time remote classes at school ...and for gaming. ;)   I spent this afternoon setting it up and I have to say I'm very impressed with it, particularly for the price ($1,136.75 + tax from Amazon). The only negative was that it came with a pretty crappy Hynix 250GB nvme drive, so I immediately pulled that out and dropped in a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 nvme drive, and it's sweet!

Model: Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51-76V6. Specs:
Intel i7-9750H CPU (6-core/12 threads - boosts to 4.5GHz)
NVidia RTX-2060 (6GB)
17.3" full HD IPS widescreen @144MHz with 3ms response time - 1920x1080 native res.
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz memory (some generic stuff that I may upgrade at a later time)
It has 2 x PCIe m.2 slots and a 2.5" SSD space as well, so plenty of room for more storage if needed.
Intel Wireless-AC 9560, Killer LAN, backlit keyboard... etc.

Can't comment on the trackpad - seemed to work as it should without any issues when I was first booting up and checking everything out, but a little later I added a wireless mouse as we all have a dislike for trackpads. Nice that Windows 10 has an option to automatically disable the trackpad if it detects a mouse is in use (and vice versa).

I also got a clear silicone keyboard cover which is made specifically for this model. I thought it might be restrictive, but I was surprised to find it was barely noticeable, and certainly will protect the keyboard from spills and crumbs etc. - definitely recommended, particularly for kids.

I set up a separate logon account using MS Family Group, which turned out to be pretty good - allows us to remotely block and unblock all installed apps on an app by app basis, set time limits on specific apps, we can even see her search terms lol (she's only 8, so yeah, it matters). This machine is way better than my 3+ year old laptop.. and most laptops I looked at with similar specs were priced much closer to $2k, so I'm stoked, and she's totally over the moon. Maybe a bit overkill for an 8 year old, but she has Steam on there already and has been playing for the last few hours while sharing her screen over Skype with her grandmother.. oh, and NVidia Broadcast App works on it.

So far I totally recommend this machine, particularly at that price. I was tempted to keep it for myself and give her my existing laptop lol!

EDIT: please see post ~18 months later (link).. not such a good machine after all.  

post edited by Nereus - 2022/03/10 09:51:25

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

3 Replies Related Threads

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop - nice machine, great value 2020/11/06 20:45:03 (permalink)

An update after ~6 weeks of heavy daily use: the laptop is performing perfectly without any issues at all. Very impressed with this machine, particularly for the price.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop - nice machine, great value 2022/03/10 09:49:42 (permalink)

I thought I'd better update this post.. 

So it's been about 18 months since I purchased the Acer Nitro 5 laptop for my daughter, and during that time it has had daily use for at least 6 hours a day (remote schooling), often more.

It has not handled it well.

After a couple of months some of the keys stopped working. Only about 4 or 5, but it was enough to render the keyboard basically useless. We had to switch to using a USB keyboard from then on.

After less than a year, the camera turned into a potato cam - it's now fuzzy and unfocused and the image looks as though the lens is really dirty, but it isn't - I've cleaned it well, but the problem persists. Also made sure drivers were updated etc., but nothing seems to rectify it. Just a cheap cam I guess. We had to switch to using a USB cam.

Recently, the cooling fan has started making a LOT of noise - and that's just on idle, it gets even worse if she's playing a game.

I have not opened it up because I don't want to risk making things worse and ending up with a dead machine when she needs it for school (otherwise I would have for sure). The laptop came with a 1 year warranty but any warranty claim can take months to process, and since the laptop was needed daily for school, I dealt with the issues as above. That warranty expired 6 months ago so it's a moot point now.

I have just ordered a new laptop for her - a Sager, which I have owned 2 of myself in the past and never had a problem. The new one is significantly more expensive, but I've learned my lesson; if a laptop with good specs is priced very cheaply, there's probably a reason.

I won't be buying Acer ever again.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop - nice machine, great value 2022/04/19 12:49:44 (permalink)

Ordered new CPU & GPU fans for the Acer, and a replacement keyboard, although it looks like quite a freaking mission to replace the keyboard judging by the YouTube video I checked out. Whatever, should be good to go once it's all repaired, then I'll sell it. Can't do anything about the cam though - it's phut.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile