Helpful Reply[ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2019/10/17 16:35:41 (permalink)
By setting % while you are in dc mode you are controlling voltage. But some motherboards shows you actual voltage instead of %, mine not so I don't know what actual voltage is when I am setting 30% or 60%. I know that it is definitely lower than 12v and higher than 5v.

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2019/10/17 21:39:50 (permalink)
mrshrir
I dont understand how you guys are able to SET the voltage ? i have an asrock mobo . 

In the mobo bios, you go into the fan control header location you've plugged the new pump cable into, set it to DC voltage mode (not PWM), then set a volt or percent curve based on CPU or system temp. 

I tried CPU temp but switched over to a 35C system temp point where it kicks from start/idle at 7.32v to 10.5v loaded.  Same with the hybrid radiator fans being plugged in to the MB, going from 1000rpm to 1800rpm at 35C system temp, though they are PWM control.
GTS81
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2019/12/15 10:47:31 (permalink)
@DeadlyMercury, I just saw the pics you posted on the pump mod. Am I right to summarize that this mod causes the rad fan to lose ability to be controlled by the graphics card?

DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2019/12/15 11:27:05 (permalink)
Yes, and also you cant control pump via graphics card, so both should be controlled via motherboard.

Or you can get another mini 4pin - 4pin fan adapter like this:

and power up 4pin fan via card header.

OR there is 4pin pwm fan header on plate itself, but it can be controlled only by x1 software.

Stephen Fry
GTS81
Superclocked Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2019/12/15 11:37:37 (permalink)
Thanks for the quick response. Great that you confirmed my thought of using that mini-GPU female to 4-pin male cable to let X1 control the fan. I have that from my previous card where I modded an RX580 with a Kraken G12. My motherboard PWM fan control is not very reliable (proprietary Dell Alienware) so I plan to power the pump directly from PSU running through a Noctua low-noise-adapter.

I tried the neodymium magnet trick. It was so strong it stopped the pump from working. Regular magnet works though.
post edited by GTS81 - 2019/12/15 12:00:54

RipGroove
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/02/16 07:04:56 (permalink)
Is there any downside to using the magnet mod other than it being completely ghetto? I'm about to replace my 1080ti Hybrid (silent all the time) with an FTW3 Hybrid so I'm preparing to have to deal with this sound issue. Obviously I'll probably do the cable mod but was just curious as to why the magnet mod is frowned upon? 

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
MOBO: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
COOLER: NZXT Kraken X62 + Corsair ML140 Pro Fans
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz
GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid + Corsair ML120 Rad Fan
SSD: M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
PSU: Corsair RMi 850w
CASE FANS: Corsair ML140 Pro
STORAGE: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Performance HDD
HEADPHONES: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's
SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/02/16 08:20:43 (permalink)
RipGroove
Is there any downside to using the magnet mod other than it being completely ghetto? I'm about to replace my 1080ti Hybrid (silent all the time) with an FTW3 Hybrid so I'm preparing to have to deal with this sound issue. Obviously I'll probably do the cable mod but was just curious as to why the magnet mod is frowned upon? 

Because it do the same thing (slows down impeller), but you have no control over it. So you can't say is your pump still running or not, cant control it as temperature function.

Stephen Fry
RipGroove
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/02/16 09:09:02 (permalink)
DeadlyMercury
RipGroove

Because it do the same thing (slows down impeller), but you have no control over it. So you can't say is your pump still running or not, cant control it as temperature function.

Well that makes sense.

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
MOBO: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
COOLER: NZXT Kraken X62 + Corsair ML140 Pro Fans
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz
GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid + Corsair ML120 Rad Fan
SSD: M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
PSU: Corsair RMi 850w
CASE FANS: Corsair ML140 Pro
STORAGE: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Performance HDD
HEADPHONES: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's
SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
nhguapo
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/03/19 14:48:11 (permalink)
I had to comment on this thread.  Maybe I'll make another thread too.  Here's my experience with the RTX 2080 hybrid.  My card is terribly loud.  I bought the card for quiet gaming and it's louder than any air cooled card I ever owned.  It's louder than my 1080ti ftw3 hybrid before it, which had it's own special annoying pump issues.  I called EVGA support and they confirmed the pump runs at 100%.  There is no way to control the pump speed, despite the fact they make a CPU cooler that can be adjusted.  I'm not really sure why it would be so hard to borrow the tech from the CPU cooler.  In any event, I went about modding the card and ordered the adapter cord and plugged it into motherboard.  This didn't do anything to reduce the pump speed, but I continued to tinker and discovered when I hook both the pump and the fan to two separate motherboard headers that it will reduce the pump speed.  I thought about using a fan splitter to control both, but just used an available empty mobo header and never got around to trying the splitter.  This seemed to do the trick.  The fan controllers in the BIOS do an OK job, but my Gigabyte mobo is a cruel mistress and it's a pain.  I finally discovered and tried Argus Monitor and I've had some success with that.  On another note - I also started getting some ticking noise out of the blue from the VRM fan.  It just started doing it after a few months.  It turns on and off constantly.  EVGA said it's normal and due to the type of fans they used.  Seriously?  To get around this, you have to use X1 Precision and keep that fan running 100% of the time, but at a much lower speed.  I have it at 15% and it will ramp up as needed, but seriously what a pain in the butt.  For $800 - $900 this is the crap you have to deal with?  It's actually working pretty good right now.  Browsing the net and non-gaming stuff it sits at 35 degrees and I have the pump set at 40%.  Max temps on the GPU are usually around 62 degrees.  It's quiet enough now.  It's very quiet when gaming.  I just wish it wasn't such a pain to dial in.
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/03/19 20:56:25 (permalink)

Okay so there are guys here with way more experience than me but I thought I'd share my problem and how I solved it very easily.  If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry for taking up your time.

So when I recently purchased a Corsair Hydro H55 the very first thing I did before getting it on my evga 2080 RTX super was simply plug the pump straight into the PUMP/FAN3 header (Set to silent in Bios), just to hear the noise.  As I held it in my hand with the heat sink part facing up (The way it will attach to the bottom of the cards gpu) it made a nasty buzzing/gurgly noise,  I tapped it, shook it, followed all the tricks online and nothing would make it go away.

So I turned it sideways.  Instantly it went %100 quiet.  Turned it back the way it was and the loud noise returned.  So of course solution 1 was:

1) Vertically mount the Video card so the pump would be facing sideways

Then I decided to see just how loud the pump would sound on full speed setting in the Bios, with the heatsink facing up again.  It TOTALLY went quiet.  I lowered the speeds and they all made the noise.

So I settled for

2) Keep the  pump at max speed at all times.  Dead silent.

So maybe vertical mount the GPU?   Hope this can help in some way.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, I needed to use a Kraken G12 to mount the H55 to the 2080  (Must use AMD brackets, Nvidia ones won't fit for 2080s)
post edited by yaggaz - 2020/03/19 20:58:49

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
GTS81
Superclocked Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/04/16 19:49:03 (permalink)
I would like to post an update here. So I bought another 2080 Super XC Hybrid (yeah, crazy me). The plan is to shuck it just like I did the first one and throw it into the custom loop. I went for the Hybrid in case my SLI plans got slowed down, which at the rate it's going now it might be because Amazon isn't shipping me a much needed PSU yet that I ordered a week ago.
So I popped the new card, radiator and all into my secondary rig, powered it on and guess what? No pump noise! It's whirring for sure but no whiny high pitched sound like the first card. Like some forum members here said, maybe it's luck to get a silent/ noisy AIO pump.

MaelstromOC
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2496
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/04/17 22:13:17 (permalink)
Yeah, the hybrid cooler I put on my 2080TI FTW3 Ultra is pretty annoying to hear. I bought it to get rid of the noise from the stock cooler while gaming and well, it is a little quieter and definitely cooler, buuuuuuut that pump noise is very grating to me. I knew of the complaints before I picked it up, but still... I don't see how this was ok to produce honestly. My 980TI Hybrid was a much quieter card and had zero pump noise it's entire life.

Corsair 500D RGB SE | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero | AMD 5900X | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid | EVGA 850 GQ

Heatware
Nazarus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 252
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/04/19 10:45:23 (permalink)
Turn it to hydro.  Problem solved!

Associates: RQAORCJB8JNEFOB/Affiliate:  YTOQRPH9OK

devilhood
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/24 09:21:20 (permalink)
Nazarus
Turn it to hydro.  Problem solved!

I have one of these FTW3 Hybrid cards, a SUPER model.

This isn't a solution, especially to the people who paid a premium for a card expecting an improvement with respect to dB and temps. Switching to hydro or air is an additional purchase, and an insult to the customer base that EVGA are supposed to be supporting. I'm extremely surprised that they are not offering a pump/cooling replacement programme to take care of the issue, to at least show that they care about customer satisfaction/restoring faith in their products.

Wiring the pump to the mobo is not a guaranteed solution either, because fan control capabilities vary from mobo to mobo. I can tell you that with an ASUS Maximus X Hero, controlling the pump via the mobo is NOT a satisfactory result, mainly because it has limited RPM customization, and you cannot assign the fan curve to GPU temps without hooking up an external temp sensor.

Attempting to self-solve shouldn't enter into the equation! EVGA should be doing more to help its customer base. I'm not impressed with the general build quality either, especially with regards to the metal backplate and how it fails to consistently align with the screw holes of the plastic housing. Failures like that are detrimental to the whole experience.

I'm supposed to RMA this card, right? Well, easier said than done considering that I don't have a spare card to use in the mean time, and there's no guarantee when I will receive a replacement or if the new card would even alleviate the problem. This is even more concerning given the current climate with COVID-19 forcing many people to work from home.

To people who bought the Hybrid card and felt mugged by the experience, at least going from my personal experience, am I going to recommend or buy another EVGA product after this?

The answer is no. Not unless EVGA publicly acknowledge the issue, take the initiative and provide recompense.
post edited by devilhood - 2020/06/24 11:09:23
mrshrir
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/24 11:39:52 (permalink)
I set the pump power according to Cpu temps, when cpu is at 40c idle temp , my pump works at 60%. 50c 75% and at 60c when gaming at 90-100% a system at 60c+ is ok with a bit of noise especilly when 9 case fans are working at a higher RPM, the buzzing noise only bothered me when case fans were at 900-1000rpm and when the pump buzzing was audible . even though its not the ideal fix, its a solution
Nazarus
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 04:45:47 (permalink)
I was happy with mine before I switched it over hydro.

They do have advanced shopping options where they have a fee and hold a value on card (credit/debit) and you get the card first.

I think you should visit that option if that is a concern. You’re not going to find a video card company that treats you better than EVGA.

Expecting a several hundred dollar item before before acquisition of the damaged product sounds like a terrible business idea.

Nazarus
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 04:51:18 (permalink)
Another resolution people can’t seem to grasp is, if it’s broke return it and get a new one before you have to deal with warranty.

People let things that “work” sit in their system until it bothers them that it doesn’t fix itself magically.

Patience you must have. -Yoda

devilhood
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 07:34:36 (permalink)
Nazarus
Another resolution people can’t seem to grasp is, if it’s broke return it and get a new one before you have to deal with warranty.

People let things that “work” sit in their system until it bothers them that it doesn’t fix itself magically.

Patience you must have. -Yoda

Valid points, but EVGA could make this considerably easier for the customer by setting up a replacement programme just for the pump, rather than playing roulette by replacing the affected item with a completely new card. It has been reported that the severity of the pump noise can vary, but it is a marginal difference. The problem still exists.

The measured performance of my card is acceptable. Benchmark results are great. I do not wish to replace the card itself, only the cooling solution. If I decided to invest in a NZXT solution for example, everything would be fine and dandy, although I would need to put another $200 down to fix a problem that EVGA caused.

It doesn't make sense to RMA both the card and the pump. It only shows that they are complacent with the fact that they have produced a sub-par pump solution that is infamously known for upsetting their customers. Why aren't we being offered a cooling solution where this problem has been addressed?

There is official documentation for installing the pump, along with plenty of YouTube videos too, so it isn't a particularly difficult task to replace the pump, especially for those who have built a PC etc.

I received a reply from their customer support today, and just as I expected, they did not directly acknowledge the wide-spread issue and were unable to offer any kind of acceptable recompense. They are also wasting my time by asking me to provide a video/sound recording of the issue I am experiencing.
post edited by devilhood - 2020/06/26 07:44:34
devilhood
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 13:20:31 (permalink)
I have been in contact with EVGA support over this issue, providing them with a comprehensive report along with video evidence; evidence that is already quite abundant across the internet, but the more the merrier.

Tried to post the URL to my video here but I'm still just a newb member, so the forum is currently restricting me. The video title is "EVGA RTX 2080 Super FTW3 Hydro Pump Noise/Humming Investigation" and you can find it on YouTube. I will update this post once my account is authorised to post links.

Fingers crossed that the outcome doesn't simply result in a "Here's a link to the RMA form" response.
post edited by devilhood - 2020/06/26 13:24:36
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 13:48:20 (permalink)
You should not mount your radiator below pump though...

Stephen Fry
devilhood
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 13:50:42 (permalink)
DeadlyMercury
You should not mount your radiator below pump though...

That is a myth. The best way to mount a radiator is whatever makes it easiest to clean. The airflow is not significantly affected either way.

My GPU on 99% load stays at 54c, and can fall as low as 27c whilst idle. See my attached screenshot.

I have done my own temperature measurements both behind and in-front/above and below. Negligible differences of about ~2-3 degrees Celsius, and even then I believe the fluctuations were actually caused by a change in ambient temperature between the experiments.

No reason to adjust my set up if I'm already achieving excellent results.
post edited by devilhood - 2020/06/26 14:03:52

Attached Image(s)

DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 14:06:01 (permalink)
That is not a myth, just a physics: there is could be air in AIO and your radiator take a resevroir role to feed pump with water but not with air. 
So thats why radiator should be mounted higher than pump. If air gets in a pump that will result in horrible sound and shorter lifespawn. 

On your video I can't hear air inside pump so maybe you are lucky and there is almost zero air in your AIO, but you should not do that anyway and that is something support could tell you to "fix" and rerun tests.
There is even instruction for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV1BT5nMkhg as example what pump running air sounds like.
post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2020/06/26 14:09:37

Stephen Fry
devilhood
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/26 14:31:26 (permalink)
DeadlyMercury
That is not a myth, just a physics: there is could be air in AIO and your radiator take a resevroir role to feed pump with water but not with air. 
So thats why radiator should be mounted higher than pump. If air gets in a pump that will result in horrible sound and shorter lifespawn. 

On your video I can't hear air inside pump so maybe you are lucky and there is almost zero air in your AIO, but you should not do that anyway and that is something support could tell you to "fix" and rerun tests.

Initially, I thought you were talking about whether the fan was in-front or behind the radiator, but I later understood what you were referring to. Thanks for the response. In this case, the diagram does not match my set up. My pump and radiator are not directly underneath the graphics card. It clears the width of the card completely, and the resulting ambient temperature is also being actively cooled by the airflow from the front of my case.

I understand that this is a recommendation, but it should be considered depending on the type of case you have.

I have placed it in both positions and the outcome did not produce a change in results. My decision to place it at the bottom was considered purely for aesthetic reasons, but I wanted to ensure that the decision would not negatively affect the performance and temperature of the card.

If EVGA ask me to change its position, I would happily do that, and continue to prove to them that their pump is an example of poor engineering.
post edited by devilhood - 2020/06/26 14:40:02
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/27 03:47:23 (permalink)
devilhood

Initially, I thought you were talking about whether the fan was in-front or behind the radiator, but I later understood what you were referring to.

That is also not a myth ;)
You are talking about push and pull configurations and it is known that push works slightly better on high rpm while pull works sligthlty better on low rpm, while push-pull configuration works significantly better them both.
The reasons here again physics (aerodynamics): on low rpm push configuration just pushes some air around fan instead of pushing it through radiator (not enough pressure to push it through), while pull configuration on high rpm just sucking some air through gaps between fan and radiator. So it is all about how much air moving through radiator and nothing more.

devilhood
Thanks for the response. In this case, the diagram does not match my set up. My pump and radiator are not directly underneath the graphics card. It clears the width of the card completely, and the resulting ambient temperature is also being actively cooled by the airflow from the front of my case.
I understand that this is a recommendation, but it should be considered depending on the type of case you have.
I have placed it in both positions and the outcome did not produce a change in results. My decision to place it at the bottom was considered purely for aesthetic reasons, but I wanted to ensure that the decision would not negatively affect the performance and temperature of the card.
If EVGA ask me to change its position, I would happily do that, and continue to prove to them that their pump is an example of poor engineering.

Well, diagram showing not "radiator under gpu" like you got it literaly, it just showing you radiator above pump level. Again, it is all about air inside AIO loop and that air moving to the highest point of your loop. In your configuration this place is pump itself. It is not about how far away your radiator from gpu - but about fact that it is lower than pump level.
If you place radiator higher than pump - all air will be trapped inside radiator, like this:

While if you place radiator lower than pump or mount radiator with tubes upward - air will be trapped inside pump or near pump intake, in that case pump is moving air and making bubbles inside loop. That affects performance a little (like it is either moving water with bubbles with slightly less thermal capacity or in worse case scenario there is no water inside pump, you are experience somehting called airlock and impeller just spinning with air trapped around not moving any water at all and that will result in instant overheat), but also affect pump noise and pump health because pump uses water as lubricant too. And because you are worried about pump noise - support could tell you to mount your radiator higher than gpu and check noise again. So you can ... "outrun"? ... that suggestion.
But again, I don't hear any bubbles sound in your video, just a "normal" pump hum like I had so it is either almost no air inside your loop or it is trapped somewhere not near impeller or intake tube. In both cases you are lucky guy :) I had large amount of air in both gpu and cpu AIOs and my cpu AIO was running with air for 2 or 3 months because it was mounted at front with tubes at top. Laterly I moved it to top, so there was no air and no bubble sounds plus no intake air restrictions - but pump started dying after 7 or 8 months anyway. **but I switched to custom water at that time so that was not a big deal :)

The over concenr is that some air could be trapped inside small bubbles on surfaces like tubing or radiator walls. And this bubbles slowly going up: you need couple of weeks to get rid of all bubbles inside loop. And in your case these bubbles slowly getting inside pump and that is not good for pump lifespawn.
And another "but": if any air will be trapped near impeller in future - you will hear it anyway.
post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2020/06/27 03:54:07

Stephen Fry
devilhood
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/27 06:18:50 (permalink)
DeadlyMercury
devilhood

Initially, I thought you were talking about whether the fan was in-front or behind the radiator, but I later understood what you were referring to.

That is also not a myth ;) 

The myth I was referring to, were the significant temperature differences, not the science behind it. The bubbles "can" be a problem though. Fortunately in my case they are not.

You have convinced me to re-visit the position of the rad for the sake of longevity, so I will probably move that back to its recommended position this afternoon.

You really didn't have to get into this much detail about it... although it is still a very useful read, and I'm sure a lot of people will gain something from it, so thank you for that  I've done my own research to an almost exhaustive point and understand the differences, along with already completing my own results for comparison purposes.

Sadly, none of these changes affect the problem I am faced with.
post edited by devilhood - 2020/06/27 06:59:40
devilhood
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/27 12:07:14 (permalink)
USPS delivered today, so I connected a thermal sensor to the T_SENSOR header on my mobo and can now properly assign the fan curve. It's not directly measuring the core, but the results are close enough. Tempted to take the housing off to see if I can find a more optimal position for the sensor.

The issue is now more tolerable.
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/27 12:39:34 (permalink)
I just pushed sensor in a hole in backplate above gpu :) That was fine enough to control both pump and rad fans speed. Actual reading was 5C less than gpu temp, but that is enough to understand if card idling or working and ajust fan speed.

Stephen Fry
devilhood
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2020/06/27 12:46:46 (permalink)
DeadlyMercury
I just pushed sensor in a hole in backplate above gpu :) That was fine enough to control both pump and rad fans speed. Actual reading was 5C less than gpu temp, but that is enough to understand if card idling or working and ajust fan speed.

Nice, I did the same. After about 5 minutes the backplate temps drop to around 40c and then gradually fall to 34. I've set the pump and fan to turn off at 35 and it seems to work very nicely indeed.

Edit: I used industrial grade thermal tape and placed the thermal sensor on the backplate precisely above the core GPU processor and it has closed the gap in temps. Instead of there being an average of about 5-6c, it is now close to being identical, with only a slight delay in how fast the heat is transferred to the backplate.
post edited by devilhood - 2020/06/30 08:45:14
Rbk_3
Superclocked Member
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: [ADVICE] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid PUMP NOISE Options 2021/01/16 08:06:12 (permalink)
So I am going to do this with my 3080. Have you thought about using Argus Monitor to control the fans/pump, as it allows you to use GPU temperature. 

devilhood
DeadlyMercury

Nice, I did the same. After about 5 minutes the backplate temps drop to around 40c and then gradually fall to 34. I've set the pump and fan to turn off at 35 and it seems to work very nicely indeed.

Edit: I used industrial grade thermal tape and placed the thermal sensor on the backplate precisely above the core GPU processor and it has closed the gap in temps. Instead of there being an average of about 5-6c, it is now close to being identical, with only a slight delay in how fast the heat is transferred to the backplate.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile